Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do like Hellish Quart but it felt like Marie was a monster. I only played against aggressive AI so maybe she has some crippling flaws a real player can exploit but the RANGE.
I only played survival so far, but sidestepping really takes the wind out of her sails. Isabella is much more dangerous I think. Got range AND spread.

Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown releases on 1/6. It's an updated version of Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown and was previously known under its incredibly shit working title (Virtua Fighter x esports). At first I thought SEGA would be extremely lazy about it but they're doing more than I thought they would: they recruited the Yakuza team and ported the assets to the RGG engine. Not sure about the extent of AM2's involvement with this.

Models have been reworked (especially the faces, not sure I like the new ones though), stage lighting seems different, there are now universal hit sparks (which I don't like) and there's a hideous new UI. It's not known at this point if there are any gameplay changes compared to FS ver B.

SEGA never misses a chance to be dumb, though: it's a Playstation exclusive. At least they're giving it away for 'free' to all PSN subscribers on release day.

Virtua Fighter is my favourite fighting game series of all time and I've been playing since VF2 came out in the arcades (my personal favourite VF is 3 with 4FT as a close second, back when I still took FGs seriously). This has the potential to be played by a lot of people since it's 'free' (well, not technically but pretty close). I'll play it for sure. VF5FS has a lot of shit I don't like (ridiculous Tekken-like bounce combos, bad risk-reward compared to the best games in the series which incentivizes spam, etc.), but it's still miles beyond everything else.

I'm fairly certain the netcode will be delay-based crap, though, unfortunately. Oh well, time to bring old Jeffry out of retirement.

Generic-Giant-Spider

SARAH BRYANT > NINA WILLIAMS

Playstation exclusivity killed all my potential interest. I don't own a console. Fucking die Sony.

SARAH BRYANT > NINA WILLIAMS

Playstation exclusivity killed all my potential interest. I don't own a console. Fucking die Sony.
Well, according to this tweet from SEGA:

It's a "PS4 console exclusive" - the wording is ambiguous and it could mean PC is on the table. Pretty much all of RGG Studio's games made it to Steam eventually. It's definitely a possibility, especially given Sony's recent business moves (releasing PS exclusive titles on PC such as Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone). I would even say it's likely.

Any new fighter with delay based netcode is an instant trash, never-play dead-on-arrival game. The new VF is fucking horrendous in how badly Sega botched it. Only fighting game players have to beg devs for incredibly basic features like a usable netcode system in 2021 when fucking Quake had it before 2000. Fighting games are dead. Since Strive will be "SFVified" boring trash, the only hope left is KoF XV. I guess there's battle for the grid if you can play a game consisting only of power rangers. I personally can't, it looks so atrocious and power rangers are boring. Everything else about it is great though.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why the fuck go to the trouble of making a remaster exclusive for such a limited pool of players?
Do japs lack common sense?
Why not simply port FS to PC and the newer platforms?

Anyway here's some gameplay:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
That's a still a retarded decision in the long run

And in the short run too I would argue
The FGC is literally in a drought for content and mostly unhappy with current offerings
- SF5? Even 4 fags hate it and it was that made alot of them try out Tekken
- T7? Everyone is fucking burned out of bullshit DLC characters and constant meta changes
- Strive? Xrd fans hate it and they make up a huge chunk of the Anime Fighrers
- KoF XIV? Only the most dedicated bothered with this entry
- Grandblue Versus? Not enough characters or content, and people stopped giving a fuck
- DBFZ? Constant meta changes ruined the game

An actual well funded and marketed VF would take the community by storm right now
One of the main reasons this entire series "failed" in the first place was due to the simple fact that SEGA are horrendous businessmen, uncapable of selling a product properly even if they offered a glass of warm milk and blowjob for each purchase, and it seems they still haven't got a clue even after 20 fucking years of repeating the same mistakes

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I don't think switching to the Yakuza engine might've been a good call
Here's some direct comparation shots:

1622059915654.jpg
1622059980313.jpg
1622060044414.jpg
1622118589861.jpg

I don't know
There's clearly more detail to the stages and materials
And the ligthing is more technically impressive, but for some stages the new choice of ligthing is simply generic (in this set of images I am referring specifically to Waterfall and Temple)
As for the characters... for me it's like that thing with DMC that Itsuno talked about: these games always tried to push for realism but they were also smart enough to know when to stylise (it was specially noticable with faces, as they were generally more angular, and larger eyes and smaller noses); but here they tried to go for realism, only unlike Capcom they weren't capable (or perhaps interested) in putting the needed resources to make good looking faces, so some of the characters end up the uncanny valley
I mean neither Vanessa nor Sarah look in any way attractive, and that monkey bitch looks neutral when she's suposed to be looking smug in that frame

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why the fuck go to the trouble of making a remaster exclusive for such a limited pool of players?
Leaks aside, the majority of fighting game players play or have a PS4. This is sort of a chicken and egg thing, since they do that because a lot of Japanese devs (and Japanese players) play only on sony consoles. If you want to fight the best in the community, you play on Sony, that's been the rule of thumb for years.
Coupled that with the fact that since it's free on PS+, most people who primarily play fighting games already have it. Which means they basically got their main audience and everyone else doesn't matter. Often they don't see worldwide appeal when it comes to these decisions, only domestically. Notice how they were talking about the arcades that will only be in Japan for the livestream, and the reason WHY it's going to be delay based (which they confirmed), is because delay based works a lot better in Japan with shorter distances.

These are not excuses however, this still sucks for a release.

Silva

Arcane
Pick: Aoi
Start: doing Tenchi in Yo.
See: opponent switching to attack low
Then: reverse their low attacks
See: opponent freezing before you
Hear: the lamentation fo their women

images

Last edited:
The online system in VF:US is unfortunately (and predictably) an absolute joke. Filtering by connection quality does not work: even connections that display as 4-bar drop down to 2 or 1 bars once you enter any lobbies, even in ranked. Since RGG studio used the same delay-based netcode as AM2 for the original release of VF5 (and FS), this means 95% of matches are completely unplayable.

I mean, you can't even directly invite friends that are physically close to your own lobbies to ensure decent games. It's pathetic.

On the one hand, as a lifelong VF fan I'm happy this got released, but this sort of shitty online routine, especially if it isn't fixed asap (and I doubt it will), will do more harm than good, especially since so many new people are being exposed to the game now. SEGA are masters at squandering opportunities and this will directly impact their ability to properly develop a VF6 (which I had already written off a decade ago, but it's obviously in the cards now).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Honestly I would say this release serves two purposes:
- allow Sega to keep the VF ip by releasing something after so long
- gauge interest in a potential VF6

Silva

Arcane
The online system in VF:US is unfortunately (and predictably) an absolute joke. Filtering by connection quality does not work: even connections that display as 4-bar drop down to 2 or 1 bars once you enter any lobbies, even in ranked. Since RGG studio used the same delay-based netcode as AM2 for the original release of VF5 (and FS), this means 95% of matches are completely unplayable.

I mean, you can't even directly invite friends that are physically close to your own lobbies to ensure decent games. It's pathetic.

On the one hand, as a lifelong VF fan I'm happy this got released, but this sort of shitty online routine, especially if it isn't fixed asap (and I doubt it will), will do more harm than good, especially since so many new people are being exposed to the game now. SEGA are masters at squandering opportunities and this will directly impact their ability to properly develop a VF6 (which I had already written off a decade ago, but it's obviously in the cards now).
Are you sure this isn't some regional shit? I've played online ranked yesterday around 4 hours straight and the big majority of matches were fairly good connection wise. I'm from Brazil.

Silva

Arcane
Great Deceiver , is it possible to tell if a rising opponent attack is coming high or low? I mean, is there a visual cue or it's pure guessing?

I guess it right some times with Aoi reversals but it's more a mind game than something I can see in the animation.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Anyway here's some gameplay:

Majority of gamers on japan play on the playstation series, that's why. Western is not the target public of the remake.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Silva you where asking for some basic info on each character
I'm by no means an expert but here's the few things I learned from playing:

• Akira > poster boy and walking earthquake (very move shakes the screen for some reason), he has short combo strings comparatively with other offensive charadcters, but really good damage potential (one bad read and he slices your HP like butter), and to be effective with him you need good understanding of nitaku and reverse nitaku, although it seems to me (and I might be wrong on this one) that he doesn't have many circular attacks, so don't go around throwing attacks, very high risk/reward fighter, not an easy begginer character since he has tricky moves and some legacy stuff but if you're into tierfaggotry Akira is basically the best
  • Jean > karate kid and virtua fighter's version of Jin Kazama, as such he has a good all-round moveslist (good balance of offense and defense), pretty good mid range game and above average strike damage, another cool thing is that he has alot of charging moves (all of them can be feinted) and circular attacks, so you can play alot mind games with his mix-ups, HOWEVER his grapples/throws are weak, he kinda lacks variety in his moves plus a good chunk of them are slow in execution, and finally he doesn't deal very well with pressure (doesn't have a lot of moves to deal with abare)
These last two are the ones I know the best (specially jean) because they are effectively my mains, the ones I played the most
Now the next characters I am not as familiar, and this mostly what I've observed:

• Vanessa > hot brazilian chick, definitely not begginer friendly, as she has 2 stances (the offensive and defensive stances) and she's very much a full complete character in each one of them, if you plan on picking her just try to gradually learn one stance untill you're confortable before moving on to the next (it was for this sheer amount of shit to learn that I dropped her), as for the stances themselves: defensive is more heavy on the throws, has good evasive moves, automatically counters any standing punch, but not very good in combo potential, and not appropriate to fight defensive players; offensive is the opposite, great for keeping up pressure and has a unique grapple (the tackle) that you can string in all manner of combos, but this style doesn't have many mids, so watch out for crouched punishes; on a final note, in VF a character's weight is important as it influences how well you can lauch an enemy and how much damage they will take, and since Vanessa is a lightweight she can get slapped around pretty easy
  • Wolf > pretty much King, grappler character clearly based on popular wrestlers, some of the most damaging moves in the game, but his strike game is very basic and lack strings (you can still do good damage with it though), so if blocked or evaded he's at a big disadvantage, he does "break" some of VF rules in the fact that the fastest move in the game is one of his throws plus he has two unbreakable grapples, finally despite his 100+ moveset you only need some 20 moves
  • Kage > his strong suit lies in his mobility and ability to confuse opponents, pretty good at throwing people of the arenas + some safe launchers, has the fastest jab in the game (11 frames) and his pokes are in general fast and safe, has some versatile stances that can be weaved into combos, however attacks with evasive properties are often slow which obviously leaves him open, his combo damage isn't great and does require higher execution than the average character
  • Jacky > bruce lee character (funny considering he's a white boy), he's all about offense, that means big combo strings, good lows (in vf5fs lows generally aren't good) and one of the few character you can reliably fight by mashing so he's a good begginer's choice, but characters with good defence are quite tricky to fight against
  • Brad > the muay-thai wop, another offensive dynamo, always reminded me of Steve Fox from Tekken (not just for the apparence but also for the fighting style), one of the best characters in terms of punish capabilities (like Steve Fox), has alot of circular attacks (both highs, mids and lows), also has some head sways (you know... like Steve Fox), the obvious weakness is that his grappling is shit (although he has a catch-throw)
  • Jeffrey > he's a big guy, if you like characters that brutalise their opponents than he's the guy for you, he has above average grappling game but he's not a grappler, he's strength lies in his striking game, his combos are straightforward, easy to perform and do alot of damage, plus since he's heavy dude he gets less damage after being launched, a considerable weakness is that he has a hard time taking the initiative, but overall he's up there with Jacky as one of the easiest characters to pick up and play

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
What’s Goh like? Was thinking of playing Goh, Wolf, or El Blaze.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom