Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

Melcar

Arcane

This is a good video on the core gameplay elements for KOF. It uses 98 in its demonstrations but it can be applied to almost every game in the series out there.

Combos are nice to learn, but in the case of KOF knowing how to use your jumps is waaay more important.

Yeah, jumps are king in those games. I remember when I was back in Junior High all the top matches where basically who could jump the best.

Nathir

Liturgist
Aware me on fighting games a little. In the competitive scene are all the top players basically elite at nailing combos and what not, so then it's mostly just a game of guessing what the other guy will do and beating them to the punch? I feel like all the fighting games I've played just average/above-average play can get wrecked just by button mashing away, so there's this strange strata between morons mushing buttons like madmen and the real top dogs. (For frame of reference, I'm absolutely trash at this genre, mostly just watch for the fun.)

Well, yeah. Most top players practiced their combos to the point it's second nature to them. It also depends on the game. For example SF4 has 1 frame links, which are basically the hardest combos to do. You can see players failing those occassionally, no matter how hard they practice. But in SFV combos are really easy and you will almost never see anyone fail doing something he wanted to do. Its the same with guilty gear going from XX to Xrd. Technical characters like I-No and Johnny are simplified and you almost never see a player failing their combo. While for instance I watched a XX tourney the last week and there were dropped combos everywhere. Sure it was an NA online tourney, but still. Oh, and generally Japanese > westerners at technical stuff.

And in most games 1 hit doesn't lead to an insta-win, so I don't think its just about trying to score the first hit. And I wouldn't call the neutral game in FG's guessing at all. It's more about space control and baiting your opponents. The game where I felt like I am guessing the most would be SFV, but that's another story. For new players imo mashing is certainly better then trying to play safe. Especially in modern games like DBFZ, where mashing leads into autocombos. Just like in the above video of Gandhi, sometimes your opponents just won't know how to deal with it and you'll get some wins. Getting decent at a game, you really see that mashing won't get you anywhere against most other decent players.

Nathir

Liturgist
Also, best round of all time?

For reference, Testament is a top tier char, played by one of the best Guilty gear players. Sol is like mid-tier played by a random guy.

Poseidon00

Arcane
1v1 me in Mortal Kombat Deception you profligate. I used to do pretty damn well online with Baraka back in the day.

Soul Calibur 3 isn't bad either. I think it was the only one in the series with the broad arrange of custom fighting styles that it has, some of which are notably easier to master than any of the regular characters movesets.

Some of these modern UFC games are really not bad at all. Fantasy fighting games should take note of the more realistic style gameplay.

Only fantasy fighting game that went for realism that I know of was Bushido Blade 1 and 2 for the PS1, where a well placed sword shot will 1-hit kill. Slept on games that are a lot of fun.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Soul Calibur 3 isn't bad either.

The only thing that SC3 surpasses in comparasion to SC2 is the amount of content
Otherwise besides being too buggy it's not as mechanically tight

Only fantasy fighting game that went for realism that I know of was Bushido Blade 1 and 2 for the PS1, where a well placed sword shot will 1-hit kill. Slept on games that are a lot of fun.

Then you might like Hellish Quart
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ueling-game-with-physics-based-combat.134449/

Generic-Giant-Spider

I read something that will never happen and thus now I must share the despair with you all.

Imagine if Capcom let ArcSys do Darkstalkers.

Melcar

Arcane
I think Dakrstalkers is dead and buried by now. If Capcoom was interested in bringing it back they would have done so already. I think they are more than happy just whoring out the popular characters in already proven franchises.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Anakaris and BB Hood will come back or mark my words death and doom will come to all Capcom.

Silentstorm

Learned
Welp, looking at my recently gifted Xbox and games on deals, i see two fighting games on sale, Killer Instinct, the new one with all DLC and Power Rangers:Battle For The Grid, also Tekken 7 and DBFZ, but i am not looking to buy DBFZ and the full version of Tekken 7 isn't exactly on sale.

So, from what i understand, Killer Instinct is the oldest and has no crossplay, Power Rangers has rollback and crossplay between all platforms so the community is there, just wondering which one would be better?

Honestly, Killer Instinct seems better, looking at PR videos, the game is a team-based combofest, maybe i shouldn't be looking at tournaments, but holy crap, some of those combos last a while!

The Power Rangers game takes after the Marvel Vs Capcom series. From what I hear it's really good.

I think Dakrstalkers is dead and buried by now. If Capcoom was interested in bringing it back they would have done so already. I think they are more than happy just whoring out the popular characters in already proven franchises.

The possibility of that seems to always be shifting. The Monster Hunter World guy, Ryōzō Tsujimoto, was made the head of the fighting games department after the success of World and the failure of MvC Infinite. Given some of the stuff that was showing up on that leak list a new Darkstalkers doesn't seem totally outside of the realm of possibility. I mean I'd of expected a new Darkstalkers before new a Power Stone and Captain Commando.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Apparently the new Virtua Fighter project is simply yet another update to VF5 for the current console generations:

https://www.fightersgeneration.com/news1/vf2021.htm

Back in September 2020, Sega revealed a teaser trailer titled "Virtua Fighter x eSports" which seemed to hint at a new direction for the series... and possibly a new game. It looks like we may finally have some more light shed on the project by the Korean Game Rating and Administration Committee — which recently published a rating for "Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown" for PlayStation 4 on March 19, 2021. It might be a while before we have any solid details, but usually a title being published by the Korean Games Rating Board is a dependable indication that we'll know more information very soon. To review, the original Virtua Fighter 5 originally came out in 2006 and the latest version, VF5: Final Showdown, released worldwide on PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2012. Currently, VF5: Final Showdown is only playable on PS4 through Yakuza 6 and Yakuza 7. Until we know more about what VF5: Ultimate Showdown has to offer, take another look at Sega's teaser trailer (below).

Once again, here's Sega's statement released alongside the trailer:

"Virtua Fighter, which was born as the world's first 3D fighting game in 1993, will be restarted as an esports title in Japan to commemorate the 60th anniversary of SEGA's establishment. Stay tuned for more details on the project in future updates."

Keep it here on Fighters Generation for news on VF5: Ultimate Showdown.

Ultimate Showdown might not necessarily just be another update of Virtua Fighter 4. Remember, Sega is also essentially making Phantasy Star Online 3 but are calling it Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom