Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

Gastrick

Cipher
Great to hear about fightcade, I was trying to get into some older fighting games but stopped because there was no one serious to play against. With the current games, Street Fighter V and the new Mortal Kombat weren't very good. King of Fighters XIV then replaced their sprites with poorly done 3d.
We should try to set up a Codex fighting game community over Fightcade and set weekly times or something to congregate and sling racial insults to the Brazilians until they leave out of shame.
This is a good idea. Another thing would be beating them using cheap characters and moves. I remember getting threatening emails from sore losers that way. As a player I'm still in the "You are shit" range unfortunately.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Great to hear about fightcade, I was trying to get into some older fighting games but stopped because there was no one serious to play against.

There's a really good plugin with Fightcade 2 that auto-downloads ROMs on the fly so you don't need to do all that monotonous shit of finding the essential version.

It's the "rompack.zip" link. Just extract the file into the main Fightcade folder and that's all you need to do. Doesn't work for every single ROM, though. You need to do manual shit for games like Capcom vs. SNK 2 or Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Gastrick

Cipher
Generic-Giant-Spider

I managed to find a fullset that works for fightcade called "FBA 0.2.97.42". Playing against another person is really fun, even though I kept losing. Using the dpad rather than the controller-joystick has made special moves easier. The sprite-work looks really great on all these games. I'll have to "challenge" you eventually.

Fightcade is full of killers man. I was dabbling with KOF 2002 and getting annihilated, but honestly just the fact that it has good netcode made it enjoyable regardless. I had a better connection with some turks than I ever have playing Soul Calibur 6 or Smash Brothers online (the latter with one of my friends who literally lives maybe 5 minutes away from me).

If anyone ever wants to play some SC6 or KOF2002 UM on steam with me, feel free to let me know. I'm not great at either but I'm itching to fight some mans.

Generic-Giant-Spider

If they have a USA/Canada flag, you may face something that resembles a human being. But if it's Brazilian or Mexican? Run. Pretend to be AFK.

I'm total dogshit these days and forced to use a DS4 since I can't get a decent fightstick but I'll try some KOF. Do you play 98 too? Can be either Slugfest or UM.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Here are some of my favorite controllers for FIGHTIN' GAMEZ. We'll start with PADS.

Neo Geo Controller:
CD-Pad.jpg
The best of the best if you ask me with its only fault being it lacks six buttons which makes it only good for SNK fighters but this is one of the greatest controllers ever created. Comfortable to hold, great D-pad that has microswitches, buttons are quick and responsive, if you can find a modified Neo Geo controller that works on modern hardware and you like SNK games this is the default way to play.

Sega Genesis 6-Button:
rb-sga-001.3.png
The controller a generation grew up with and one of the best arcade style pads you could ever get, the Sega Genesis 6-Button was a thing of beauty. I long considered the Genesis officially licensed controllers to be among the best to play with since they fit into your hand easily and the buttons are just the right size as well having a fully rotational D-pad that makes doing more complicated motions much easier. I like the Retro-Bit remastered version, but DO NOT get the one advertised as 6 buttons on the box. Get the 8 button one with USB. The 6 button one only works for actual Sega products so you'll look like a caveman trying to put it into your PC. The extra two buttons are on the shoulders and it comes with an appropriate mode select in the middle so you can actually use it universally for modern shit.

The Original Playstation Controller:
sony_ps1_original_controller-8675.jpg
I've been a long time advocate of the OG PS1 controller which I've always preferred for games like Mortal Kombat or any other with committed directional inputs (no motions needed). The lack of analogs make this a very comfortable fit and this is one surprisingly durable controller. I still have my very very first one from '95 that functions just as it did back then, it has survived numerous hammerfists and tossdowns in disbelief and unfettered anger. Another important note is the L2/R2 buttons are the same as L1/R1 meaning they aren't retarded triggers like in the PS3/PS4 era so it's much quicker response time. Another benefit if you have big oaf-like hands is no analog means no accidental collisions with your thumb to fuck up your inputs.

ARCADE STICKS:

Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro:
p1011341.original.jpg
This came out in the last year or so and is probably the best entry level arcade stick if you want to get serious but don't want to carve out your organs to pay for something more expensive. It retails around $130 USD and is both a console and controller. It has 40 preloaded games from SNK's library including all the good fighting ones but it can also be used as an actual arcade stick for any other game. It's pretty much a convenient "all in one" sort of arcade stick that gives pretty good value considering the price, it also doesn't adhere to the Neo Geo arcade cabinet design so you got 8 buttons making it usable for all fighters. The buttons/parts it uses are not of Our Lord Sanwa, but they're of good quality and won't fall apart on you after 3 months like those shitty $50 sticks will. You can also switch the buttons/stick out if you want to replace them fairly easily, I'm not sure if it works with PS4/XBox One since I don't own those consoles but it works with PC seamlessly and has multiple mode switches on the side.

If you do play the games provided, some games, notably King of Fighters '99, may seem like they have a delay or don't respond to your commands on something like the character select. This is not a problem with the hardware/stick itself, this has been a known issue for that particular game's emulation. You should be playing '98 or 2002 or Garou anyways. Bao is a faggot character.

Bat Top Sticks:
IMG_1410.JPG
What you have here is a Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition arcade stick with one very big difference: the usual ball-top stick is replaced by the bat top. This isn't a usual thing you'll see on most arcade sticks but if you've ever lived in NA and played arcades then chances are you grew up playing with this style on most arcade cabinets you ever encountered. This is purely a preference for me as it is what I'm most accustomed to and feels most natural. Some people will say some dumb Japanophile shit like "BUT BALL TOP IS MORE PRECISE//BAT TOP USES MORE MUSCLE MOVEMENT." Look fags, if you care about energy exertion so much then chances are you're dying IRL if playing with a bat top actually exhausts you. There are some ready made arcade sticks that use bat tops but in my experience I've had to switch out ball tops with bat tops.

The big rule when it comes to arcade sticks is this, check if it has Sanwa or Hayabusa parts. The Sanwa parts are genuine arcade buttons, the ones you'd always hit as a kid. Hayabusa are new style, usually carried by Hori if I remember correctly, but they're still high quality. Whether you want the button tops to be convex or concave is you to decide, I personally don't give a shit. You want Sanwa or Hayabusa because they can endure months and years of abuse and are 'springy' and receptive immediately. I don't mean you can all of a sudden uppercut your buttons over and over and expect them to still work, but when it comes to pressing them and expecting a proper reaction without the worry of them being delayed or outright jamming/falling apart then Sanwa/Hayabusa will last you a good while.

A good Sanwa arcade stick that's of quality without breaking the bank would be the Qanba Obsidian.
Q3-05__83635.1482095720.jpg

Anyways that's pretty much what I like to use or personally recommend. Now go learn how to bunny hop.

DonGabo

Novice
I have a fighting commander. The d-pad is good and the buttons are big. I've been using it for almost a year and it's still like new. First time I use a pad for fighting games and it really feels faster to input the motions. Never miss an anti air.

71L6fXYbWSL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Generic-Giant-Spider

Been wanting to try an FC for some time, I've always heard conflicting reports from those that use them. Sometimes they say the d-pad wears out and some are using the same one for years. It looks like a nice controller from a reputable company and the big buttons are a plus.

I probably own too many controllers. Fighting Commander is a decent piece of hardware. I use it for 3-D fighters mostly and some 2-D games. Its D-pad seems well-suited for fighting game motions, yet too 'mushy' to play something like Contra. It does some things well but I find it ill-suited for every 2-D game. Despite that I really like it for games like Dead Cells or Streets of Rage. I really, really prefer stick for 2-D fighters, but if you're comfortable with pad it'd probably be fine.

Interesting write up on controllers. My personal favorites are the Wii Classic Controller Pro (although I never tried it with fighting games) and.... the playstation Vita. I don't care for the playstation controllers that much- my quarter circle motions just don't register with them. But the Vita is a different story. It mixes the playstation d-pad with something much more compact and responsive. And the analog sticks are hair-sensitive in the best way. Before my vita screen got guffed up (aftewards I could never bear to look at it) I was going through practically the entire NES library with more precision control than I ever had before, and thanks to its OLED screen it all looked beautiful. Pretty sure there are ways to link it to a PC and just use it as a controller.

Mr. Spider I don't have fightcade on my computer at the moment- but I do have KOF 2002 UM on Steam. Never actually tried '98 although I know it's popular.

Citizen

I have a fighting commander. The d-pad is good and the buttons are big. I've been using it for almost a year and it's still like new. First time I use a pad for fighting games and it really feels faster to input the motions. Never miss an anti air.

71L6fXYbWSL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Hori controllers are very good quality especially for their price. I'm using their gamecube controller and couldn't be happier with it

Generic-Giant-Spider

Mr. Spider I don't have fightcade on my computer at the moment- but I do have KOF 2002 UM on Steam. Never actually tried '98 although I know it's popular.

I prefer the UM editions of both 98/2002, tbh. 98 UM adds a slew of new characters like Krauser and Geese, adds roster-wide move changes (I find it very hard to live without the hitbox change on Yamazaki's Guillotine to make it more consistent) and makes some changes to characters and systems like Extra being an actually playable mode. The new Ultimate mode is fun to mess with too. Problem is the netcode has yet to get the rollback treatment on PC.

2002 UM is similar but one thing that puts it above beyond all else than vanilla 2002 is the backgrounds and music are waaaay fucking better. More people should migrate to 2002 UM since it does have rollback... unless you really like Vanessa. Then maybe not.

Max Damage

Savant
Nothing's wrong with KB as long as it doesn't have ghosting, been using mine for over 5 years now.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Aware me on fighting games a little. In the competitive scene are all the top players basically elite at nailing combos and what not, so then it's mostly just a game of guessing what the other guy will do and beating them to the punch? I feel like all the fighting games I've played just average/above-average play can get wrecked just by button mashing away, so there's this strange strata between morons mushing buttons like madmen and the real top dogs. (For frame of reference, I'm absolutely trash at this genre, mostly just watch for the fun.)

DonGabo

Novice
Yes, all top level players can execute combos, but its rare to beat your opponent with one opening. At the highest level it revolves around neutral game, controlling space and baiting your opponent to make mistakes that you can punish. So it's not so much about guessing, it's mostly about conditioning your opponent. That way you can react instead of guess, or reduce their options so you have to guess on less scenarios.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I feel like all the fighting games I've played just average/above-average play can get wrecked just by button mashing away
Anyone who's above average cannot be easily defeated by simple mashing.

Mashing fireballs from fullscreen is pointless in new games as they are just free meter for your opponent, jump-in combos are unsafe to decent anti-airs and general block discipline, and pressing buttons on neutral results on easy reversals and whiff punishes. In plain english 'just play safe, block, and punish all mistakes you see'.

If they cannot counter those three "mash techniques" they're not above average. There's this classic example of someone overthinking how to defend a goddamn Ryu randomly mashing:

EDIT: There's a counterargument to this where every game has a 'gorilla' character who's about brainless rushdown. For that character the diference between random mashing and perfect planning is just whether at the end of a game you won lol This live feed is straight from GGXX+R's gorilla cage where we see two adults fighting over a banana.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
This is the best intro to Street Figter I've watched. It focuses on Ryu and even not everything applies to other games, the core gameplan is all laid out there.

Generic-Giant-Spider

This is a good video on the core gameplay elements for KOF. It uses 98 in its demonstrations but it can be applied to almost every game in the series out there.

Combos are nice to learn, but in the case of KOF knowing how to use your jumps is waaay more important.

Latro

Arcane
best advice I've seen from KOF is: treat short hop - j.B like a medium punch in SF. basically, you're supposed to be hopping like a rabbit; if you stand still and it isn't to zone or react defensively you're doing it wrong.

Generic-Giant-Spider

And if you have trouble short hopping, pretend it's like an inverted super jump (a super jump is down then up, so you'd want to do a quick up and down for KOF).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom