Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I am fine with it
VF5FS is good enough
Honestly the only thing that irks me is the fact that there is no hints at a PC version
Then again nothing as been officially announced as of yet
But this is Sega...

Silentstorm

Learned
Looked into sales on Xbox, saw Samurai Shodown on sale, man, i kinda want to buy the game, but knowing SNK, this has no crossplay and no great netcode, and the people i know aren't that much into fighting games so i am considering just letting this deal go.
I am fine with it
VF5FS is good enough
Honestly the only thing that irks me is the fact that there is no hints at a PC version
Then again nothing as been officially announced as of yet
But this is Sega...
Sega has a ton of classic franchises they do nothing with sadly, not even for some weird spin-offs, at this point VF just seems to be there for Yakuza games or maybe a Project X Zone 3 if they ever do it.

It probably doesn't help that Coronavirus made arcades way less popular, i think they were still updating VF5 online in Japan through arcade machines, and it was still so popular they didn't need to do a 6th, but they still won't do it because...outside of Japan, Virtua Fighter is pretty niche and it always did much better in arcades.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
VF is niche because Sega doesn't sell it
That's it

In the 90's the series was the shit, but ever since 2000 new releases are extremely infrequent and their marketing campaigns are pitiful to say the least
It's simply the fault of Sega's stupidity and lack of enterprise

They don't do new titles, they don't do updated versions, they don't host tournaments or push VF inclusion in others, they don't even bother to port these games to Steam (and that would be the easiest fucking money they could make)
And this last point not only applies to VF but also their library of arcade games
They don't do anything asides from including them as mini-games in Yakuza games

Sega are a fucking joke
Honestly it's surprising they still even bother with selling their shit outside Japan

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
They sell because people do buy their games still, Football Manager is huge, the Total War games sell pretty well, Yakuza became popular in the west starting with 5, the Persona games are popular everywhere and Sonic is always good to get some money.

Even Puyo Puyo started making some money, they also have some more minor games like Endless Legend and Endless Space...though i think they only bought the developer after Endless Space 2 and Humankind, that Civilization clone, will be the first one that said developer makes while working for Sega...and yes, Sega owns those franchises i described, and others too like the Hatsune Miku games and i think Age Of Empires IV is being made by one of the developers Sega secretly owns, and looking around, they also own Two-Point Hospital.

...Look, after the Dreamcast died, Sega quietly decided to get into simulation and strategy gaming in PC and bought some developers without shouting it out to the world because of their reputation for simple platformer games, and then they went for developers in Japan like buying Atlus in 2013, but that means that everything before the Persona fighting game was made by Atlus themselves, i think Persona 5 is the first and only main Persona title that was made 100% through Sega.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Been trying some keyboard & mouse in my figthing games
It's actually suprisingly effective

I first tried keyboard only, but it felt clumsy and awkward

So tried to play it like I do a regular hack n' slash on PC
Added in the mouse where I put all the attack button and movement keys to WASD (Q + E for any remaning keys I might need)

Works out pretty well
Tekken 5 DR there's no difference in my performance
Soul Calibur 2 works particularly good, as it feels like I am playing Severance
And in Virtua Figther I now can actually pull off the moves that require inputs the moment the enemy is hit, and overall I execute inputs more consistently

Honestly the only thing that the controller has over KB + M is that it's slightly more confortable

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
Keyboards are fine, the hit box is specifically made to be a more comfortable version of the keyboard on a controller.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I'd go even further than that. The precise, binary inputs a keyboard offers are genuinely fantastic for fighting games. Once you get used to the control scheme, keyboards/hitboxes are actually the best option out there imo.
I've clocked in about 100 hours on keyboard, about 200 on gamepad and easily 1K on arcade stick, so I think I'm allowed to claim I have an informed opinion on all three.

Silentstorm

Learned
I remember trying Keyboard years ago and having huge amounts of trouble with HCB moves but overall not that bad, it helps that every key is together so something like ZXCASD for 6 button games can work better than controllers, particularly modern ones, with 4 main buttons and some triggers, but i am just more used with controllers.

There's nothing wrong about playing fighting games with the keyboard (and yes, indeed the Hitbox was developed as an offshoot of that thought and lots of successful players use it), but remember the guy is talking about keyboard and mouse. :killitwithfire:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Initially I had some trouble executing quarter circles, half circles and such

I almost given up and considered it a pain

But it turns out it's pretty simple, perhaps even more so than in a controllers
The problem is that I was trying to pull them off like I did in controllers, by trying to hit all those keys (including diagonals) in a fast sequence or by doing slide inputs
However I think the input reader for keyboards must be different as the process is far more simple

For example:

> : followed by
+ : at the same time

Take an half circle
At first, I tried to do it like this: A > A+S > S > S+D > D
Which technically speaking is the way you do it on a controller, either with the analog stick or by doing a slide input in the D-Pad
However, on keyboard you can perform it like this: A > S > D

It's this simple
It's like on keyboard the input reader does those diognals for you

Something like: A > A+S > S > S+D
On keyboard somehow became: A > S+D

"So you can't do a Dragon Punch input, because you have to finish it in a diagonal"
No I can and again it's super simple
Just hit: D > S > D
It's so easy that for the first time I can perform more than 3 consecutive "Wind God/Hook Fist" without any effort

Full circles though are still hard, as I have to hit A>S>D>W>A very fast... :M

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'm going to tell you an ancient Chinese secret I learned from the bowels of the Bowery many years ago.

In most fighting games you can do a full circle/360 motion by only doing a 270 motion. No more awkward jumping for the rest of your days.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
the guy is talking about keyboard and mouse. :killitwithfire:

What's so wrong with that? :?

Like I said using the Keyboard for the attack buttons is uncomfortable
The mouse and can fill that role in a much better way
And for someone that's used to play brawlers on PC it feels right at home for me :)

For Soul Calibur 2, the 'LMB' is for Horizontals, the 'RMB' for Verticals, 'Mouse 4' for the Guard and 'Mouse 3' for Kicks (and 'E' for the Soul Charge)
Like I said it's so good it feels like I am playing Severance

Tekken 5DR is also simple in it's scheme
'LMB' for Left Hand, 'RMB' for Right Hand, 'Mouse 4' for Left Foot and 'Mouse 3' for Right Foot

As for Virtua Fighter 5FS
'LMB' is the Punch, 'RMB' Guard, 'Mouse 4' for Kick
Then my shortcuts I can use are: 'Space' for 'P+K+G', 'E' for Grappling, 'Mouse 3' is 'P+K' and finally 'Q' for 'K+G'
I think this might be better than controller as this way I almost performed the longest attack string that Jean has - the "Nichirin Kyōshitsu"

And it's overall very comfy :M

Melcar

Arcane
Going to try it this weekend, but if I turn gay I'm blaming you guys.

Edit: Not the mouse bit. That's just full gay.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
You're going to think it's gay either way, because a measly weekend isn't enough to get used to a completely new control scheme.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Keyboards are OK, but they are worse than hitbox due to bigger button travel before engaging (plus arcade buttons allow for tech like double tap and stuff). Also i would recommend setting the "up" direction on Space button, rather than on W, that makes a lot of inputs easier (TK motions for example). Jumping on Space should be second nature to anyone who played FPS anyway.

Melcar

Arcane
You're going to think it's gay either way, because a measly weekend isn't enough to get used to a completely new control scheme.

I said I was going to try it starting the weekend you moron. Also, what kind of disabled retard can't learn a control scheme in a day? Unless you're old and shit.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
You've clearly never dealt with playing fighting games on something alien, or you wouldn't think it's such a trivial matter. Otherwise, consider yourself some kind of prodigy, because the general consensus is that it takes at least about a week or so to rewire your brain for it to not feel awkward.

Unless your idea of playing fighting games is just mashing buttons until it works out for you, then I'm sure you'll adapt to everything very swiftly. :smug:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I will never advocate the snake oil that is keyboards/hit boxes.

So it seems there might be a DC vs Marvel game coming from NetherRealm Studios.

Punch Planet has been looking good. Been in development for a few years, recently got a new character.

Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid is adding Ryu and Chun-Li. They had previously been in the iOS game before Battle for the Grid came out.

New contender on who that last SF5 DLC character could be just entered the ring.

It's not Virtua Fighter, but Sega did put out this crossover fighting game (Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax & and the updated version Ignition) with Akira in it. The roster is mostly characters from light novels, some of which you may or may not have ever heard of; but it's also got Akira and Selvaria Bles from Valkyria Chronicles. Too bad Sega never had the team do an actual Sega crossover fighting game

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Killer Instinct seems like it will be fun. But boy this combo stuff is a hell of a curve
Hellish quart is nearly perfect though, goddamn.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I do like Hellish Quart but it felt like Marie was a monster. I only played against aggressive AI so maybe she has some crippling flaws a real player can exploit but the RANGE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom