Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

Generic-Giant-Spider

Try to throw them if they like to spam rolls or wait for the last few frames when the invincibility ends and go for a punish.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Everyone else is playing Melty Blood, GG, KOF 2002 UM, Third Strike and I'm just sitting here waiting for the fateful day you bussies can take on my Strahd.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Major kek incoming

Crapcom still hasn't revealed Street Fighter 6 but they're already planning on releasing a Super SF6 version one year after the original release. AND THEN A ULRA SF6 ONE YEAR AFTER THAT ONE!!

41c.png

Then again it doesn't matter how many SF they put out, as long as Yoshinori Ono is in any way involved in those projects, each and every one of then WILL suck

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
He's out, didn't you hear?

And I prefer the Regular -> Super -> Ultra releases to paying for individual characters.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I used to like fighting games, but I find them harder and harder to get into now. Fucking paying for every character individually, or at all, except for the obligatory 8 mains. Mortal Kombat Deception/Armageddon and Soul Calibur 3 had more content- for FREE- than what you get out of their modern day sequels even after they extract 100$ extra for all the bullshit. If any genre has absolutely been ruined by scummy monetization it is fighters.

Dragon Ball Fighter Z is so bad about this that you have non-Super Saiyan Goku as DLC. THE MAIN FUCKING CHARACTER IS DLC

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
He's out, didn't you hear?

Nah didn't knew it
Thank god for that

And I prefer the Regular -> Super -> Ultra releases to paying for individual characters.

Agree
But still developing 2 extra versions of the same game even before said game has been announced is just so scummy
Specially when said versions come out in 1 year intervals

I can only imagine if this leak hadn't come out
The average casual customer buys the original game and maybe even buys some DLC
Only to some 9 months after that, Crapcom anounces the new improved version which he needs to buy all over again
And then 1 year after that the same cycle repeats itself all over again

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
Also, Deception was the peak of Mortal Kombat games. Yes, it had nowhere near the roster of Armageddon but that story mode had so much potential. Free roaming across a series of different planes of existence, meeting characters in different time periods, hitting whoever you want, completing side quests, it was all great except for the obligatory tutorials. That kind of story mode could have been great yet they never used it again.

Generic-Giant-Spider

All the MK 3D era games were dogshit. Yes, the Konquest mode was fun in Deception and yes I enjoyed Puzzle Kombat, but the actual fighting gameplay was awful. The rosters were awful with some of the worst designs ever devised by an alleged human brain. I'll even say this, looking back the Konquest mode in Deception actually wasn't as good as even Armageddon's which at least had some gameplay in it beyond running around and opening up treasure chests and seeing classic MK characters not playable in the game.

The best MK game from that whole era was Shaolin Monks which wasn't even a fighting game. The true peak of MK is either UMK3 or MK9 overall with MK2 being peak atmosphere for the series. MKX was fun too, not as good as the other two since balancefagging was rearing its ugly head and MK11 is pure shit.

At this point I wish MK dropped the story bullshit since it is genuinely bad fanfiction ever since MKX and the developers have gone on record to say they choose their roster based on how the story mode pans out instead of fan demand. Then you have WB and their demonic tendrils having direct influence over the franchise (they made MK go from kung-fu and sorcery to guns and capeshit-tier moments) along with forcing trashy guest characters nobody that's a fan ever asked for.

If leaks are true then lol @ having to buy Reptile and Ermac as DLC while you can buy a new copy of MK11 and have Rambo and Robocop there instead. Nothing like buying a Mortal Kombat game and having to pay extra for two classic characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poseidon00

Arcane
All the MK 3D era games were dogshit. Yes, the Konquest mode was fun in Deception and yes I enjoyed Puzzle Kombat, but the actual fighting gameplay was awful. The rosters were awful with some of the worst designs ever devised by an alleged human brain. I'll even say this, looking back the Konquest mode in Deception actually wasn't as good as even Armageddon's which at least had some gameplay in it beyond running around and opening up treasure chests and seeing classic MK characters not playable in the game.

The best MK game from that whole era was Shaolin Monks which wasn't even a fighting game. The true peak of MK is either UMK3 or MK9 overall with MK2 being peak atmosphere for the series. MKX was fun too, not as good as the other two since balancefagging was rearing its ugly head and MK11 is pure shit.

At this point I wish MK dropped the story bullshit since it is genuinely bad fanfiction ever since MKX and the developers have gone on record to say they choose their roster based on how the story mode pans out instead of fan demand. Then you have WB and their demonic tendrils having direct influence over the franchise (they made MK go from kung-fu and sorcery to guns and capeshit-tier moments) along with forcing trashy guest characters nobody that's a fan ever asked for.

If leaks are true then lol @ having to buy Reptile and Ermac as DLC while you can buy a new copy of MK11 and have Rambo and Robocop there instead. Nothing like buying a Mortal Kombat game and having to pay extra for two classic characters.

That's why I like to say it had potential, rather than was actually great. There was some really good stuff in Deceptions Konquest mode, it just needed a lot more fleshing out. I still enjoy it because despite the bad story writing in a lot of MK I think the world as it was conceived of during that time was really not so bad.

Agreed that Shaolin Monks is the best of the 3D era in terms of gameplay.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I get where you guys are coming from, but Armageddon was the best of the 3D era just for the extremely poorly balanced character creator.

Gamezor

Learned
I decided to try a fighting game when I get tired of Thea, so I picked up the guilty gear xrd and XX in the steam sale. Also got skullgirls. It looks like Killer Instinct is on gamepass currently, so I'll have that as well.

The butthurt in this thread over the accusation that smash brothers is not a fighting game was hilarious. I think people were more pissed over that than someone saying they like oblivion better than morrowind, as if the label makes any difference.

Gamezor

Learned
I wound up buying and trying a bunch of these and played SFV the most. I started with ki and i like the music and the tutorial is great. But I have no interest or nostalgia for the characters, and theres just too much shit happening on screen. Also dont like the EZ combo option. Sf5 is somehow cleaner and easier to follow for me even though I suck terribly. I just like the feel of it. I do seem to be having some lag issues with it so we will see. 3d ones are just too different mechanically for me. Mk maybe will get another look at some point as well but for now i better pick and stick with one.

Keyboard much better for me than controller—way easier to pull off special moves, particularly z one.

Nathir

Liturgist
I've actually been playing GG Ac+r on steam for the past 3 weeks. Still the best FG I've ever played. I remember playing it back in 2015 when they released it on steam. Iirc it lagged horribly online, there were like 20 people playing at a given time, and most of them were insanely good. I was shocked to see I had a record of 9-22 when I returned to the game. Currently sitting at 100-76 or something like that. Game got a netcode patch in december and reached a new peak 5 years after release of 2300 players and there are 300-400 people online at any given time, which is pretty insane. I am getting games fast vs people of all skill levels. And the actual online is also incredibly good. If it's below 200 ping you don't even notice you're playing online. 200-300 range it's still playable. Above 300 is a coin toss, but better not to play that.

Also bought the original Guilty Gear for like 3€, just to try it out. It's weird as hell. Feels like a mugen game at points. Cool designs but looks kinda ugly. Fast gameplay that is still fun but very janky and doesn't make much sense. One of the best OSTs ever made for a game though. And it's fun to see the original characters and how they started out. Some only appear in cutscenes, like Johnny.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

KOF 2002 UM also has rollback netcode like GG AC along with Garou.

I hope they bring it in for KOF 98 UM, that's always been my preferred.

Generic-Giant-Spider

https://fgcoc.com/

This is the Fighting Game Community Code of Conduct. Its goal is to prevent and expel predatory behavior and emotional, sexual, verbal, and physical abuse to create a safer and more inclusive FGC in which more people can enjoy the fun, exciting, grassroots spirit of our community.

PROTECT THE CULTURE.

EMBRACE THUGGERY.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Generic Giant Spider infinite tutorial

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom