Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Speaking of Samurai Showdown.
Any of you guys played "The Last Blade"?
Just watched Super Bunnyhop's video on the SNK and he spoke very positively about it.
The artwork is gorgeous:

lastblade-kaede-stage-animate.gif

lastblade-shigen-stage-animate.gif

lastblade-zantetsu-stage-animate.gif

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
There's quite a few Last Blade fans on Codex. I voted for it for our recent non-rpg poll.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I know of Last Blade but I'd be lying if I told you I spent any decent amount of time with it outside of fucking around on a MAME ROM. SNK cabinets where I grew up either had KOF, Fatal Fury or Metal Slug primarily with the occasional Samurai Shodown sighting.

Cromwell

Arcane
The playerbase isn't large compared to other mainstream games however and PS4 is probably the most active version.

which would be the most active games currently and is ps4 still the way to go for fighters I would rather use the Xbox?

bert

Arcane
The playerbase isn't large compared to other mainstream games however and PS4 is probably the most active version.

which would be the most active games currently and is ps4 still the way to go for fighters I would rather use the Xbox?

Yeah ps4 is still the way to go. The only Xbox exclusive for FG is Killer Instinct which is also on PC and I'm not sure how popular it is. A large number of sticks are a mix of PS3/PS4/PC compatability and only a few work with Xbox.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order:
Tekken 7 PS4/PC
DBFZ
SFV PS4/PC
MK11

A few more but probably more niche:
Granblue Fantasy Versus
UNIST

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
It's sad to see what they did to Guilty Gear with Strive where a single command grab last I saw can do nearly 40% of your life.

Concern: The damage is too high

Mr. Ishiwatari: “A central idea behind this title is that you can deal big damage without memorizing long combos as was required in previous games.”

Mr. Katano: “We made the damage extreme in the beta test to get that idea across. Before the game’s release, we’ll be adjusting it carefully by looking at player feedback and match results.”

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/guilty-gear-strive-developers-backyard-volume-one

Also Sol's Wild Throw leads to similar damage in previous games, it's just that you gotta combo after it to get it (and be close-ish to corner).

Cromwell

Arcane

Yeah ps4 is still the way to go. The only Xbox exclusive for FG is Killer Instinct which is also on PC and I'm not sure how popular it is. A large number of sticks are a mix of PS3/PS4/PC compatability and only a few work with Xbox.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order:
Tekken 7 PS4/PC
DBFZ
SFV PS4/PC
MK11

A few more but probably more niche:
Granblue Fantasy Versus
UNIST

If I have to use the ps4 I may as well buy gran blue fantasy, that looks pretty cool

Nah.
With the exception of throw clash (which were removed in FS), VF5 and the later versions of 4 are pretty similar, there's no such drastatic changes as you've just described.
I would say the difference to VF4FT to VF5FS is the same difference between T5 and T5DR - the same game only with a couple new characters and a great deal of tweaks to make the game more balanced and ultimately fun.
Altough one noticeable change in 5 that does makes it resemble Tekken (perhaps what has lead you to those conclusions) is to the overall game feel.

What led me to those conclusions is that I owned an actual Final Tuned ver. A arcade machine (bought the kit in 2005) and played it every week for 4 years with my local crew. We also played VF5 up until FS but no one liked it that much, although we also played it for years.

You're just talking out of your ass.
I'll just give you a concrete, fundamental example of how the games are vastly different - throws are 8 frames in FT, 10 frames in VF5FS. This has huge consequences for punishing and nitaku situations. Nitaku situations in VF5FS are dumb as shit and, partly due to slower throws that can't be used to punish most of the truly abuseable shit, the game can be much more thoughtlessly aggressive and it is worse because of it.

The sideturned situations in VF5 are also retarded, leading to canned combos and hurting gameplay variety. Same thing for bounce combos and extended wall combos (which I mentioned in my post, and you simply ignored because to you somehow this falls into LOL MORE BALANCED AND ULTIMATELY FUN). Character weight plays much less of a part in VF5FS and you have huge characters being subjected to retarded combos, whereas in previous installations you had character-specific combos that were greatly reduced and much more interesting. Stance is less important, minor counters are less important, everything is dumbed down. But, of course, you'd have to have actually have played FT to any degree of competence to know.

Ask any pro VF player in Japan or any competitive VF player in the West that's been around long enough and you'll get a universal response that FT is infinitely more balanced and much better as a competitive game than VF5FS. In fact, Japan still had VF4FT Beat Tribes and tournaments when VF5FS was at its peak.

So, in sum, don't talk out of your ass. You can namedrop VF for 'street cred' when you're talking to someone who's never played a VF game in their life, but not me.

Last edited:

Darkforge

Augur
So what do the experienced players say to samurai shodown. I can get it for a reasonable price for xbox one x but I am undecided yet but I am itching to learn something and play while cursing on my couch.

I think the game itself is good but if you have no friends to play it with don't bother it's very barebones and the multiplier has the worst netcode in recent memory. At least in my region there were also very few people playing.

Machocruz

Arcane
I bought Last Blade at an import store when it came out in Japan for PSX. It was cool but I didn't give it a lot of time. It just made me want to play more SamSho.

Jason Liang

Arcane

AESF Charity Cup KoF XIV Championship. Guess who won.

In other KoF news, KOF All Stars will soon have a collab with Gintama. Gintama means nothing to me but maybe someone else is excited by this.

Evidently you get to play as a giant duck

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

AESF Charity Cup KoF XIV Championship. Guess who won.

In other KoF news, KOF All Stars will soon have a collab with Gintama. Gintama means nothing to me but maybe someone else is excited by this.

Getting excited about KoF these days is almost impossible.

Generic-Giant-Spider

SNK needs to start unveiling some information about KOFXV. Right now it's the only upcoming fighting game I actually care about and all we have to go on is a year old teaser trailer.

Please God have them bring back Shermie.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Apparently if you have an Amazon Prime or Twitch Prime or whatever that shit is called you can get some free SNK games for your trouble. Among these are King of Fighters 2002 which is arguably the best one and others such as Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown II and Art of Fighting 2.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
2002 OG and 2001 were the most souless KoF's of them all. I just don't understand where this "02 is the best KoF mentality" is coming from.

Jason Liang

Arcane
2002 OG and 2001 were the most souless KoF's of them all. I just don't understand where this "02 is the best KoF mentality" is coming from.
KoF 2002 was the first KoF that caught a following in California, so I suspect it was the first KoF game that many players from kwa and possibly Mexico really got into. 2002 is also probably responsible for 90% of Athena's popularity.

2002 had a really strong waifu emphasis as well, if you compare it to 98. While 2002 was missing Chizuru and King, it added Kula, Vanessa, Angel and May Lee and pushed Athena to S Tier and returned the other mainstay waifus like Leona, Mature, Vice, Mai, Yuri and Shermie. If you care about waifus, it's a stronger roster than 98.

EDIT: Forgot Blue Mary and Whippu as well.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
Anyways, fightcade2 is out and the whole setup looks pretty modern and nice. I'm playing semi-regularly again, and I'm still complete noob level at kof98 and SF Alpha 2, if you guys want to learn with me/have someone at a low level to play with look me up in shoutbox.

mushaden

Scholar
Hi all,

Just had the epiphany that I want to start playing online fighters (I know I'm not the only one right now). Ideally a Capcom or SNK game, old or new, but similar stuff might be fine (Fighterz, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, I have no idea anymore).

I have a nvidia shield and a laptop with wireless n. I don't want to ever physically connect the laptop to the tv. I'm casual skill level so I don't care about using wireless controllers.

What is the cheapest way to get going? I also don't want to buy a non-mini pc

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Fightcade: Street Fighter III, KoF02/98, Jojo's, VSav, MvC, Samsho 2/5, Alpha 2/3. Plenty to choose. It runs on a toaster, I was playing on a netbook in 2010.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom