Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

Seems weird weird these are the characters videos we’re getting now.

Duck King ducks in the background. Kind of wonder how big the roster on this game will be. While it is a good looking game, and I’m liking what they’re doing with the stylization, the actual character models themselves look like they’re about as detailed as Marvel vs Capcom 3. SNK is doing more with the hair in City of the Wolves than Capcom did in MVC3, but the rest of the model don’t look any more detailed than MvC3. I only bring this up because Capcom ended up making 50 completely new characters for Marvel vs Capcom 3, (Fate of Two Worlds had 36 and two DLC characters, Ultimate added 12) so I wonder of City of the Wolves ends up with a roster closer in size to The King of Fighters 15 than the 14 character roster of Mark of the Wolves.

Besides Grant, who is dead and has been replaced by his student and new character Vox Reaper, it seems like everyone from Mark of the Wolves is probably returning. So that’s 14 characters. You got new character and Joe Higashi’s student Preecha. Billy Kane is here. Looks like Duke King will be in...or some Duke King related character. Joe and Andy were shown off in a teaser a year ago. And I could also see Mai, Yamazaki, Blue Mary, Nightmare Geese, Li Xiangfei, the Jin brothers, Big Bear, Rick Strowd, Mr. Karate Ryo, and probably Franco Bash‘s son making it in. Yamazaki (the dojo buster) and Ryo get mentioned in MotW, and Ryo shows up in some art for the game. That’d be 30 characters. Marie Heinlein and Gato’s dad seem like new characters that’ll show up since this is a continuation of Mark of the Wolves, and maybe some version of some of the old unused Mark of the Wolves 2 characters since a version of Joe’s student was there. Could maybe end up having like 35 or 36 characters. It’s also possible at this point that someone like Ryu shows up in the game.

Video of Max showing off that Marvel vs Capcom Infinite mod he’s been involved in.

The game definitely would’ve looked better if they went with cel shading. So much so that it’s kind of a surprise Capcom didn’t put that in as an option when negative reactions started rolling in after they first showed it off at E3.

They replaced the games default Captain America model with the Captain America model from Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Kind of surprised they didn’t just take the Marvel vs Capcom 3 model. Although the Captain America in both MVCI and MUA3 is a spin on Captain America’s Marvel Now look.

Don’t like the art they’re using on the main menu though. That shit does not look good at all.

Jason Liang

Arcane
So I guess this happened

Witness Xiaohai ascend to nerd godhood. Villain in KoF, hero in SF6, amazing. And who knew his lady was so hot

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
Fighting game tournaments are near unwatchable to me because they always, always use nigger commentators and announcers. Just utterly sick of it at this point. If I wanted that shit I would watch...just about anything else in the mainstream.

Surprised this was announced before the Marvel vs Capcom Collection came out. The digital MvC collection gets a digital release next month, September 12th; and the physical version comes out November 22th.

Games included in this collection are:

Capcom vs SNK Pro
Capcom vs SNK 2
Power Stone
Power Stone 2
Project Justice
Plasma Sword
Capcom Fighting Jam
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper

Surprised there’s no Tech Romancer, which did get an English release, and does have Jin Saotome from Cyberbots in it. Seems like something you’d put in just to mirror Cyberbots being in the first release. Sadly no JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure... would’ve been nice to be able to get a physical version of the HD version they did in 2012.

I'm going to make a very controversial statement:

All fighting games suck. Yes, that means 100% of them. There is not a single fighting game that exists that doesn't suck absolute ass. You're probably already typing counter-examples into the reply box, but no, they also suck.

The reason for this is because fighting games by their core design have virtually no high-level strategy. It's mostly basic counterplay and practicing specific movements repeatedly. In the vast majority of cases, your opponent won't win because they outplayed you or strategised better, it's because they were more practiced at inputting the correct series of buttons more accurately than you, and could therefore perform moves with a higher degree of precision or tighter timing. It's like Counter-Strike, but for even dumber people. Add in the fact that fighting games tend to be long-running series from some of the worst companies that exist in the gaming marketplace, and they become unjustifiably bad.

This is why so many tournament-level fighting game players tend to be mindless brutes who yell at each other and don't shower properly. They are too stupid to play better games, so they waste their life mastering button combinations and timing because it's all their brain can handle.

Arthandas

Prophet
I'm going to make a very controversial statement:

All fighting games suck. Yes, that means 100% of them. There is not a single fighting game that exists that doesn't suck absolute ass. You're probably already typing counter-examples into the reply box, but no, they also suck.

The reason for this is because fighting games by their core design have virtually no high-level strategy. It's mostly basic counterplay and practicing specific movements repeatedly. In the vast majority of cases, your opponent won't win because they outplayed you or strategised better, it's because they were more practiced at inputting the correct series of buttons more accurately than you, and could therefore perform moves with a higher degree of precision or tighter timing. It's like Counter-Strike, but for even dumber people. Add in the fact that fighting games tend to be long-running series from some of the worst companies that exist in the gaming marketplace, and they become unjustifiably bad.

This is why so many tournament-level fighting game players tend to be mindless brutes who yell at each other and don't shower properly. They are too stupid to play better games, so they waste their life mastering button combinations and timing because it's all their brain can handle.
Play Tekken.

Silverfish

Arbiter
All fighting games suck. Yes, that means 100% of them. There is not a single fighting game that exists that doesn't suck absolute ass.

giphy.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom