Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Dark Heart of Uukrul! -- Dead and done!

kazgar

Arcane
Can you post the text for all the new crystal level spells/prayers?

Bah!

Why are you grinding so much? No wonder the encounters are pushovers for you. No need to grind in this game, at all. Still a good effort, but you will end up giving the next genners the wrong idea.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Bee, don't listen to the nay-sayers. :love: I know the grinding feeling myself, can't help it. If I find something that I can take advantage of in a computer game, I do so.
Just keep up your good work with your LPs! :thumbsup: Even if I don't figure in any of them. :M

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gosh, the palace area is a DnD nerd's dream!

torpid said:
Didn't know there was a level cap :(

I think that's actually pretty good. Without it I'd keep on grinding grinding grinding, which would be bad for my health.

Blackadder said:
Bah!

Why are you grinding so much? No wonder the encounters are pushovers for you. No need to grind in this game, at all. Still a good effort, but you will end up giving the next genners the wrong idea.

I know. Can't stop, though. And it's in part the game's own fault! Why is it teasing me with such obvious exploits landing me tons of exp? :P
And the next genners are a lost cause, either way. ;)

Azira said:
Bee, don't listen to the nay-sayers. :love: I know the grinding feeling myself, can't help it. If I find something that I can take advantage of in a computer game, I do so.
Just keep up your good work with your LPs! :thumbsup:

It's oh-kay, dear Azira, thanks. :love: I'm a grindwhore, I know that. The readers of my 4 Heroes of Light LP are well aware that breaking the game is one of the things I always do. :P

Azira said:
Even if I don't figure in any of them. :M

:oops: Sorry for that.

torpid said:
Also, adding your self-made maps takes LPing to a whole new level.

Nah, that's just for a couple of areas. There were some cool areas that would merit a map in the past updates, too, but I was feeling a bit lazy back then.
Also, there were some self-made maps in my 4 Heroes of Light LP as well. :smug:

kazgar said:
Can you post the text for all the new crystal level spells/prayers?

You mean from the manual? There is no text for them in the manual; it tells you to consult the Tome of the Seer:

The First Arkana: Fire
30 CYQIEKUN The Furnace of the Great Mystic

The tome of the seer will reveal the effects and requirements of this fearsome Spell.

The Second Arkana: Frost
45 MUZAQ Cacophonous Oblivion

This is the most fearsome and terrible destructive Spell. You must consult the tome of the seer to learn its effects and requirements.

The Third Arkana: Protection
30 QADIOS The Womb of Infinite Safety

The tome of the seer must be consulted before attempting this great Spell.

The Fourth Arkana: Healing
33 CYQIETUR Ceaseless Healing

The tome of the seer describes the effects and requirements of this wondrous incantation.

The only crystal spell described in the manual is, as I mentioned earlier, CYQIEQARAQK, the one that lets you consult the Tome of the Seer in the first place:

The Fifth Arkana: Knowledge
27 CYQIEQARAQK The Tome of the Seer

With the final mastery of the Arkana of Knowledge comes the power to consult the tome of the great seer Sieqsiethsh. This mystical work is kept in a sealed bronze case on one of the astral planes. It can never be read by human eye, and its runes would in any case defy translation, but the magic of the Crystal Ring of Knowledge can concentrate the psychic powers of the Magician, from any place of Sanctuary, to form a clairvoyant view of a part of the tome, in a language of the caster's own. The tome contains the secrets of the Crystal Spells in all the Arkana, their purpose, effect, and requirements for casting; along with other prophecies of great wisdom and foresight. Study the writings of the tome carefully, and heed their portent.

So yeah, the only descriptions for CYQIETUR, QADIOS, MUZAQ and CYQIEKUN are those you saw in the last update, which are:

CYQIEKUN: Arkana of Fire
The great mystic Cyqie harnessed his own soul to create the spell which destroyed him. Cyqiekun shall draw forth flames of the hell in which he is now imprisoned. So perish all who outreach their station.

MUZAQ: Arkana of Frost
Behold the greatest of spells. Muzaq shall call forth a black trumpet. When the trumpet sounds, the cries of all the damned souls in hell shall burst forth in a maelstrom of oblivion.

QADIOS: Arkana of Protection
Qadios is a mighty spell. It forms around those of pure heart the womb of infinite safety. Focus your minds on great things and no harm may pass.

CYQIETUR: Arkana of Healing
The great mystic Cyqie created the spell of ceaseless healing. Cyqietur shall form a pure blue globe. Those within shall be continually refreshed and restored.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is there any way to protect myself against those bloody floating black runes, I wonder?

They make me rage.

EDIT: Nevermind. Sagaris told me to use TAPU. :P

x4nti

Educated
:salute:

Made some Uukrul avatars and posted them in Site Feedback: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=59955

025uukrul.jpg

:o
Spoilers!

Crooked Bee

Patron
Shhh, we haven't gotten to that part yet. ;)

Posting the Uukrul avatar doesn't mean I've beaten the game, however. Far from it. So near yet so far. :cry:

Crooked Bee

Patron
This is definitely NOT the final update. :P

29: Adron's Palace

In which we kill the evil Uukrul, solve some puzzles and riddles, and arm the beacon.

Previously on this LP we finally obtained Uukrul's dark heart and reached UROQLAMN, The Sanctuary of Adron's Palace. As we exit the sanctuary via the eastern door, a vision of Mara appears:

NjERx.jpg

Our task in the palace will be twofold:
1. First, we must slay Uukrul himself by breaking the dark heart when face to face with him and finishing him off with the Obsidian hammer.
2. Second, we must arm the beacon, whatever that might mean.
Plus we must beware Uukrul's black runes along the way.

The corridor seems to be a dead end, but there's in fact a secret door in the end of it which we open with HOYAMOQ -- and now we enter the palace itself:

gxlSg.jpg

Let's pretend this room is richly decorated.
I also have a little map of this area for you:

jU8ZC.jpg

There will be several sub-areas in this dungeon, of which I'll be posting the maps along the way.

1rnmw.jpg

WZDRK.jpg

Inside this room there area six weird squares, with 1 to 6 stars engraved on them. I hope that reminds you of something.

w3p6N.jpg

Uukrul's taint is everywhere.

gigjM.jpg

And we're drawn into a scripted encounter with some Necromancers.

53xhE.jpg

They looks funny, and they're very easy to kill.

PNkM0.jpg

We get an odd little thingie for loot. :? I wonder what that is.

4NL4g.jpg

Perhaps Sagaris will be able to shed a light on this?

NAhK8.jpg

uJuLO.jpg

:roll:
The cube turns out to be every RPG enthusiast's wet dream, a six-sided die. Truth be told, I wasted quite a lot of time trying to figure out what to do with it. But first things first.

LJWgP.jpg

To the southwest of the room with the 6 weird squares (note how the number of the squares and the stars engraved on them correspond to a die's six sides), there is a control room accessible via another secret door easily opened by a HOYAMOQ.

y20ez.jpg

The small control device is another puzzle for which there are no in-game hints so that you must figure it out by trial-and-error. Looking at the screenshots now, I can't for the life of me remember the correct combination, but it is either 3-2 or 2-3, so no big deal.

dxSjf.jpg

zRGzP.jpg

As soon as you input it correctly...

Y3VLT.jpg

...a single silver diamond appears on the cube. And yes, you've probably gotten it right by now: the cube is meant to represent a six-sided die, and each time you touch the gems in the correct order, 1 to 6 diamonds appear on its surface.

ni51T.jpg

We must ensure all the numbers from 1 to 6 are activated, which in turns activates the six star squares in the main room:

c5Gy8.jpg

As soon as they're activated, the stars start twinkling brightly. The first part of the first puzzle is solved, yay!
But what now?

ebFYy.jpg

Now comes the part that I couldn't figure out for a whole day or so. :oops: Turns out you must cast Adron's die on the ground to activate the teleporter you're currently standing on! And we are standing on the 1-star square now.

0VsV1.jpg

The die falls, always showing the same number as the number of stars on the current square.

DqlwW.jpg

And so we are in another area of the palace -- the reception halls. Here's the map:

JbHrX.jpg

This area is fraught with many dangers. There are pits here, scripted encounters, secret doors, as well as nasty black runes. More on that later.

2fJf1.jpg

The pits in here are tricky, which means slipping and falling is one thing you can't avoid. We are in the first pit to the south of square #1 now. As we enter the next door...

gof3U.jpg

J6ygU.jpg

...a Slimy Mass aka Sentient Slime attacks and plagues us.

0TEjX.jpg

And here's one of the bloody black floating runes.

2QaZc.jpg

And sometimes there's no way to avoid it. It also respawns in the same place as soon as you leave that square.

XjiYX.jpg

We grab some money as our reward for exploring this god-forsaken pit.

1ra1e.jpg

You won't find this area on my map as it isn't worth it.

rPTJy.jpg

We go on exploring the palace reception rooms.

5bUcM.jpg

In the southwestern part of the area we trigger a scripted encounter with some trolls aka golems.

46BuL.jpg

:x
Fucking runes.

eNKxJ.jpg

A dragon! :o Meh, no big deal.

joM84.jpg

The reception rooms look totally ruined.

iwhO4.jpg

An inscription, eh?

Qunf0.jpg

"Seek the prophecy hidden behind riddles". We'll get to that later in this update.

ZL5yU.jpg

A... chariot room? :?

nFD9T.jpg

Sagaris appears! :o He wants us to follow him, and the password for the secret door ahead of us is apparently SAGARIS.

PoW5J.jpg

Yup, indeed.

ymZhf.jpg

Sagaris walks around the corner, and we follow him.

LSCR2.jpg

He's beckoning us in. I fully expect this to be Uukrul in disguise luring us into a trap.

rkyOz.jpg

I am disappoint. This is indeed Sagaris himself. And we already have the dark heart and the hammer, old man.

IdbKU.jpg

Slaying Uukrul does not end our quest, however. We must 1. arm the beacon, 2. seek Mara in the Chaos (?) and free her, 3. Profit!

Re4y5.jpg

Sagaris also gives us a useful advice, that is, to use TAPU, a prayer to Drutho, to avoid taking too much damage from the floating runes.

TAPU Sacred Passage

Drutho, Dark One, hear this Prayer.
Weave your magic around our passage,
That we may walk past traps,
That we may pass danger in safety.

gwQ46.jpg

Two teleporters in here, marked as T2 and T1 on my map. T2 is a regular teleporter called SURAQIS which we can use to quickly exit and enter the area.

w7bZz.jpg

T1 is a puzzle teleporter. We press "*", one or two times, I don't really remember.

wuChs.jpg

There's nothing of substance in this new area we've been teleported to apart from a drawing with some Beacon codes. Pretty sure they'll come in handy later.

7cTlH.jpg

Pressing another random teleporter button brings us to yet another part of the palace, the royal chambers. You want a map? I've got a map:

6hjeW.jpg

uXHt8.jpg

We find a strange contraption called Code machine in here. We'll need it later to get the beacon arming codes. We need to figure out how it works first, though.

raVHZ.jpg

Two wraiths plague us good! :o

d38EC.jpg

eEveZ.jpg

And OMG, if you try leaving this area the way you arrived, via T3, you're gonna end up in a trap room with no means of escape but using a Medal. Hardcore!

0odr7.jpg

An inscription we come across in the royal chambers tells us the commands for the beacon: North: divide, east: add, south: subtract, west: multiply. Their purpose is a mystery for now but we're going to need them later.

lY3BW.jpg

Phew, that was close.

MPLKl.jpg

Uukrul's mocking us. That won't last long. :smug:

0lOxi.jpg

And finally we get to know just how the Code machine is supposed to work. We need three things for each of the four quadrant of the Beacon: 1. the code, 2. the command, and 3. the key. Four codes, four commands, four keys. Got it.

70qfg.jpg

And now we're back in the receptions halls to explore them further.

7QcQS.jpg

Another scripted dragon encounter. Routine.
Let's teleport to the next area now.

RDrmB.jpg

fZujU.jpg

For that, we just need to cast Adron's die while standing on one of the four star squares in the reception halls.

vIC5U.jpg

This is the riddle area. Solving riddles, collecting prophecies and writing down the keys for the beacon quadrants is what we'll be doing here.

749DE.jpg

The nearby inscription reminds us that the west quadrant command is Multiply. "By the sign of the moon" seems to be meaningless fluff.

2uqsg.jpg

In the small room opposite the inscription we learn the west quadrant key. It's 5. Yay!

YKmg8.jpg

It looks like the beacon is right below us.

sx5qJ.jpg

And here's our first riddle.

4McUv.jpg

This is an easy one. The answer is PRIEST.

bYJmL.jpg

:salute:

Ka7NE.jpg

And here's the first prophecy we get. The prophecies are there just for the atmosphere, it seems, being bits of the game's lore.

ShOYk.jpg

As we explore around, we occasionally come across control rooms, but they've been devastated by Uukrul.

5dHrz.jpg

And here's our second riddle. The answer is HAMMER, obviously.

dTDtz.jpg

What an original prophecy, this one.

MShbB.jpg

Again, we are told one of the beacon commands.

tikLz.jpg

And the north quadrant key is 6. Good to know.

rsx5r.jpg

:lol:

dFkzP.jpg

Scary!

WKuWR.jpg

I fail at the third riddle, alas. I input UUKRUL, but...

boTKA.jpg

Oops.

ZRkBt.jpg

And we find ourselves in another trap room. This one has a way of escaping it, however. There's a magic door that seems to appear in one of the walls from time to time, disappearing shortly after that. The tricky thing is to reach it in time.

03GYb.jpg

After a couple of failed attempts, we finally succeed. Back to the riddle area we go!

UEIQW.jpg

And the east quadrant key is 72. Nice.

CgSiP.jpg

East = add. Got it.

hmF7x.jpg

And the correct answer to the previous riddle is SAGARIS. Pretty easy, really.

QhHcj.jpg

He who has climbed shall be he who is cast? :? Whatever.

01BP8.jpg

And the final riddle! That's MAGICIAN, easy peasy.

lwbD5.jpg

Yay! :salute:

dkbMm.jpg

Light the beacon's blast? Sure thing, we'll do just that! Just let me figure out the way. :P

UjtyR.jpg

South quadrant: subtract.

BqtSr.jpg

And the south key is 18.
Now we have everything need to get the beacon arming sequences!

Code:
“To obtain the arming sequence for each quadrant, you must enter the Code, then the Command, then the Key”
“Divide the north – add the east – subtract the south – multiply the west” = commands
1. “Divide the north by the northern key”
2. “Add the east and the quadrant is free”
3. “Multiply the west by the sign of the moon”
4. “Subtract the south by number and rune”

West code: BPKQ
West quadrant key: 5
Third riddle:
“Four gods are joined in my supreme skill:
Lord, Lover, Lamp and Thief.
Four keys unlocked after the kill:
Evil falls like Autumn’s leaf.” = PRIEST
Third prophecy: “She who is caught has returned from the past”

North code: VGAK
North quadrant key: 6
First riddle:
“Two fates were joined when I was forged
To face the darkness and Uukrul’s horde
And though I am broken, I am also restored
And lo I will break him before he has gorged” = HAMMER
First prophecy: “He who was first shall be he who is last”

East code: XBHW
East quadrant key: 72
Second riddle:
“Three hands hold the beacon: evil will cease
Words toll in sequence: there will be peace
I am the Patriarch, in ancient guise
A fool’s age misleads evil’s eyes” = SAGARIS
Second prophecy: “He who has climbed shall be he who is cast”

South code: LFPW
South quadrant key: 18
Fourth riddle:
“Five of the Arcana are now in my hand
Five skills focused in five metal bands
I am one from the four of the Western lands
I am joined in your party against evil’s stands” = MAGICIAN
Fourth prophecy: “You who are last will light the beacon’s blast”

:yeah:

That'll have to wait a bit, though. First we'll go slay the evil Uukrul. :P

jWYP4.jpg

To reach Uukrul's chambers we must again cast Adron's die.

SX3oU.jpg

NJ7gm.jpg

Suraqis was the first of the ancient kings of Eriosthe. Just FYI.

uw7vf.jpg

Looks like Uukrul doesn't fancy Suraqis much. :P

R2LJl.jpg

Spooky.

q3YYf.jpg

The beacon is the thingie that powers the whole of Eriosthe, apparently.

JbfGd.jpg

We'll need to solve three riddles to access Uukrul's room.

ckfyK.jpg

MFueN.jpg

The first riddle speaks of Uukrul. Fowyr mentioned that Uukrul was once of the light, and that helped me here. :P

vAqOY.jpg

flIVO.jpg

"You have but my die to move in the ground"? That's obviously ADRON.

BQSXG.jpg

lu0Qo.jpg

Well, the kauri plaque says "I WILL RULE", which conveniently enough turns out to be the answer to this riddle.

dPfox.jpg

:o That's Uukrul himself! And yeah, I don't particularly like the way he looks either.

M1tjU.jpg

UsqMC.jpg

We break the dark heart! :salute:

3CckW.jpg

The fucker almost brings down our spekkio.

Orq7F.jpg

spekkio's MUZAQ, one of the crystal spells, helps us a lot in this battle.

qZMLi.jpg

And then we finish Uukrul off with the Obsidian hammer!

Jfwh8.jpg

An ornate key is our loot. That's it, folks, no cutscene or anything.

g6hSU.jpg

We open the grate.

9AgCm.jpg

dedCs.jpg

mt1YO.jpg

cFJxg.jpg

And loot Uukrul's treasury. :P

qUELe.jpg

We thoroughly explore the large hall.

p8iQi.jpg

Wine cellar!

s4Z59.jpg

oaEvF.jpg

And even more money! :P

WFnWI.jpg

Some Lamiae attack us. They look funny.

gf2cJ.jpg

And the northeastern corridor leads us to the next sanctuary, URXASZEL.

av0fL.jpg

We activate it! :salute:
Our business in the palace isn't over yet, however. We still must get the beacon arming codes and actually arm the thing.

nML8L.jpg

d4w6i.jpg

Pug0N.jpg

The star square #6 teleports us to a really weird place, the area of Eriosthe's memory of its former glory.

H9l7N.jpg

This area is tainted by Uukrul, too.

qKT3l.jpg

And we collapse through the ground. Nothing of further interest here.

QedBL.jpg

The star square #5 teleports us to another puzzle room! :P

gNFt9.jpg

Q12LW.jpg

49BZN.jpg

This is a FUUUU-inducing room in which each step moves you forward by the number of squares marked on the die face.
I couldn't cross it at first, and so we went back to the Code machine instead.

JHGFz.jpg

S2oe3.jpg

And so we input the code, the command, and the key for each of the four beacon quadrants. Here's the result:

Code:
West arming sequence: 3325
North arming sequence: 1231
East arming sequence: 3144
South arming sequence: 1344

Yay!
Now back to that nasty puzzle room...

xMNvV.jpg

Finally, we manage to cross it! :salute: The correct order of steps is: east - east - north - south - west - north - east - east. Hopefully I got it right.

iB3ai.jpg

And so we've reached the Beacon Arming Mechanism. The only thing left to do now is input the four arming sequences.

eeo65.jpg

We arm the north quadrant first, and then the remaining three.

Rm5De.jpg

:salute: All the quadrants are armed now. Beacon ready for detonation!

Our job in the palace seems to be done. The game doesn't end here, though. Far from it.
We exit URXASZEL via the eastern door.

CWRdr.jpg

One thing left: destroying Eriosthe.

knerf.jpg

Not before we free Mara, though.

MyOCz.jpg

And Mara is frozen in ... the Chaos? :? Which is the best area I've encountered in any RPG. So stay tuned!

Next time: losing our way in the Chaos.

torpid

Liturgist
Crooked Bee said:

Aww, Bee picking up lil Spekkio :P

Crooked Bee said:
eNKxJ.jpg

A dragon! :o Meh, no big deal.

Grinding: the payoff.

Crooked Bee said:
qZMLi.jpg

And then we finish Uukrul off with the Obsidian hammer!

The moment we've all been waiting for :love:

I like how instead of a cutscene you get loads of money, which admittedly is more interesting -- next-gen developers should take note.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Blackadder said:
Have to say, Crooked Bee is a machine. I remember how long it took me to finish this game, and this playthrough has been incredibly fast. No FAQ usage at all?

Nope. I shudder to think just how many hours I've wasted on this game, though. More than a hundred, that's for sure; probably closer to 150 or even more. And I've been constantly playing it since January, without any breaks. Six months is not that fast, really. I am a machine, yes. (In b4 "get a life!") The game just hooked me and wouldn't let go. I even put almost all other games aside for the sake of this game and this LP. So I definitely recommend playing it to those who haven't. I think it's the best dungeon crawler I've ever played, and I have played quite a few (even if definitely not as many as you have).

Also, I would've gotten stuck at the crossword puzzle if not for the help of this LP's readers. :oops:

EDIT. A note from the future: Now that I think of it, it definitely wasn't 150 hours, 100 at most. Probably closer to 60-70.

Indeed. You certainly rank up there with other 'Lets Play!' veterans here, and seem to be on track to surpassing them.

As for Dark Heart...it is one of my favourite games, but I will be honest...I have yet to play through it again. It is one of the most enjoyable, yet exhausting, dungeon crawlers I have played. It tests the senses, and makes you work overtime to get to the end. The grinding you did has seemed to lessen the combat difficulties...

It is the complete package; other games can outdo it in each element, yet it is greater than the sum of its parts.

kyrub

Augur
Crooked Bee said:
Nope. I shudder to think just how many hours I've wasted on this game, though. More than a hundred, that's for sure; probably closer to 150 or even more.
:o 150 hours?
I have been reading the thread up until the end. Thank you very much for recreating the atmosphere of the game and its mysteries. Dark Heart was a game I was never abel to finish, but seeing the number of puzzles in the latter part, I am intrigued to try again. 150 hours, on the other hand, that is probably not worth it. Pity. :?

You did mention there were probably too many "easy" encounters, like wolves etc., throughout the game. Is this what makes the game too long? I remember feeling a bit of the tedium, maybe it was this that put me off during that particular phase...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom