Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: Fallen Gods

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Looks like this could be a great game if it had real combat.

The combat is simple but it accomplishes its obvious intended purpose - which is to provide enough attrition to force you to heal up one way or the other.

So far we've only faced scrublords, but I'm sure we'll run into more dangerous fights soon enough, and these can be fun, although I assume it feels better in practice than when reported.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Format is good. Game also looks good. Thanks for the betatesting. :smug:

fg0038.jpg
iu

these unpatriotic heathens are no match for MURICA

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
fg0137.jpg

Average FG priest:

fg0120.jpg

We continue towards the Bierhalle. Seeing that we might encounter raep by mythical beasts of lore soon, I round out the party with another churl.

fg0121.jpg

But something spawns on the road along the way.

fg0122.jpg

:lol:
god2.png
This highway robbery is not going to be left unpunished!

Naturally, we pursue the thieves to return the goods to the trader.

fg0123.jpg

god2.png
The Friends of the First have made their last mistake!

fg0124.jpg

Let us inspect these rude chaps.

fg0125.jpg

That's some superchurl among them. Judging by the attack bonuses on the thief and outlaw, he must be a leader - these are enemies that boost their underlings' combat abilities.

Still, this shouldn't be too bad.

fg0126.jpg

Thieves are annoying because they have very high speed. Even Ullin with his speed 8 goes after the thief.

fg0127.jpg

Ilsa the she-wolf has no trouble killing the wounded outlaw.

fg0129.jpg

Njal soon dispatches the thief.

fg0132.jpg

While the rest bumrush the superchurl until he dies. We took a few hits back there, but nothing major.

fg0133.jpg

Wooooo. We struck gawld! Not a whole lot but it's something.

fg0134.jpg

Since we got beaten a little, I set up camp before going into the cave.

fg0135.jpg

Resting in the field is less effective than in a town and brings back only 2 HP/day.

fg0140.jpg

The bierhalle awaits.

fg0141.jpg

The cave we've just entered is a 'dungeon'. These are stacks of trashy/attritive events that end with some kind of bigger event - in this case, there are 6 events to be found here. As we know from the gossip we got on it, there should be a foul wurm at the bottom, and our followers have the same to report:

fighter1.png
Anyone could boast if he bested the wurm who waits at the bottom of this pit.

woodsman1.png
The smell of a wurm wafts from below.

churl1.png
Even I have heard that there's a wurm and a woman down here.

A woman? The plot thickens!

ONWARD!

fg0145.jpg

ur not a wurm

Wrestling the troll is a might check, and I'm not too optimistic about our might 5 to wrestle a troll, especially after witnessing Njal's failure at the nithing pole, so instead I opt to hack its arm off and see what happens.

fg0146.jpg

The *splat* sound would suggest that the outcome is not entirely favourable...

Let's see those broken bones at the god's portrait.

fg0147.jpg

:neveraskedforthis:

Yeah, I'm not leaving that on. Fortunately we can use Healing Hands to cure ourselves of everything bad in-between events for the bargain price of 1 soul.

fg0149.jpg

This uses up our final soul for the moment, but I think it's worth it.

We continue into the cave.

fg0150.jpg

More broken trolls ahoy.

fg0151.jpg

Let's see how these work.

fg0152.jpg

They appear tough but slow. Hopefully we can kill them fast with our superior speed before they can get too many hits in.

fg0153.jpg

Ullin jumps to engage the weaker trollshard.

fg0154.jpg

While god and Ilsa take on the tougher ones.

fg0155.jpg

Agni takes down the cleft shard before it can act.

fg0156.jpg

And then all it takes is some bumming

fg0158.jpg

To clear out the rest. I think they only got a single hit on the god and wolf. Not too shabby.

fg0159.jpg

Obviously there is no reward for dungeon pest control, other than the opportunity to go forth.

fg0160.jpg

Hello there, good folk.

god1.png
I am a river to my people! And by "I", I mean "Ullin", because he can lead them out much faster.

fg0161.jpg

fg0162.jpg

"Mood" checks morale. Given that Ullin is loyal, I wouldn't expect anything else.

fg0163.jpg

That death glare from Ullin :lol:

Let us proceed deeper.

fg0164.jpg

(can't believe this shitty vid is the only recording of this cutscene on youtube)

fg0165.jpg

This fight may be a bit tougher than what came before.

fg0166.jpg

Two shade fighters that appear identical to ours, and one that seems stronger. Still, with some tictax we should be able to defeat them with limited HP loss.

fg0167.jpg

We engage the shades with our heavy-hitters.

fg0169.jpg

Then back them up with the rest. Njal finally lets his bonus vs undead shine and, well, it isn't particularly impressive. By my guesstimate he whacks them about as effectively as the fighter? Which given his might 2 (vs the fighter's 4) would probably mean double damage, but that's like the double damage of a baby fart.

fg0171.jpg

The shades vanish as they die. Unfortunately, they got a lot more strikes in than I would have wanted.

fg0172.jpg

And again, pest control grants us nothing but bruises.

There's one event left before we reach the wurm at the bottom. I'll check out what it is, then leave to heal up. Leaving a dungeon costs a day to backtrack, so it's best to get as far in as you can.

fg0173.jpg

:neveraskedforthis:
god2.png
Like hell I'm giving anything to some effeminate manlet with a mongrel.

And I sure as hell am not giving him either my max HP or the only item in my possession.

EAT STEEL!

fg0175.jpg

well this was to be expected

god2.png
There will be no fleeing from this fight.

though this wasn't

fg0177.jpg

Well fuck.

Note that the retreat button (the running stick figure) is greyed out, which means this is a fight to the death. Guess the wizard has cornered us with his minions.

fg0178.jpg

And some fucking minions they are. A wolf and two strong fighter shades, all with attack boosts, and the wizard has a whopping 6 HP too, while our dudes are significantly battered.

This will be ugly.

DoWI43.png
The true power is here :smug:

fg0179.jpg

I take advantage of Ullin's first strike and wolf bonus to strike the wizard's fetch. It goes down to half hp!

fg0180.jpg

The asshole wizard jumps to engage the churl, the weakest actual combatant in our party.

fg0181.jpg

This will need some careful strategy...

I figure that with first strike, the god should be able to handle the damaged shade on the top. Meanwhile Ilsa is way too wounded to risk attacking, so I skip her turn and keep the stronger shade busy with Agni the fighter, then I put Njal on the wizard's wolf to be absolutely sure that Ullin kills it next turn.

fg0184.jpg

Let's see how this works.

fg0185.jpg

One down, three to go.

fg0187.jpg

I reinforce the god with Ilsa and Njal to kill the top shade.

fg0188.jpg

Another round starts, and things are starting to look bad. Everyone is near-dead while there are still two strong enemies left to dispatch. I skip Ullin's turn because I don't want him anywhere in harm's way.

This would be a good moment to run... if we could run.

fg0189.jpg

RIP Atli the churl. You were instrumental in this fight.

fg0191.jpg

Unfortunately the shade also kills Agni, while I was placing all my bets on him surviving another round, because I wanted to bumrush the wizard with Ilsa and the god, and the shade with all the rest. That was why I skipped the god's turn this round to not have him get hit by the wizard.

fg0192.jpg

Njal bravely challenges the shade!

fg0194.jpg

Ullin reinforces Ilsa, god jumps in to help the very obviously doomed Njal.

fg0195.jpg

And then it turns out that the fucking shade isn't dumb enough to just whack a disposable non-combatant meatshield, and instead cleaves through the god and sends him flying :lol:

fg0196.jpg

When the god drops to 0 HP in combat, he retreats to a hidey-hole, gets crippled and is effectively removed from the fight. He'll only be executed if the rest of the party falls.

fg0197.jpg

Ullin strikes a death blow on the wizard, only for it to turn out that the fucker can slurp on his minions to cheat death and regain some HP. Fortunately that last remaining shade was so damaged that the wizard got only a sliver of health back.

fg0198.jpg

Thus Ilsa ripped him apart with her next attack.

fg0199.jpg

fg0201.jpg

effin 'ell :negative:

Naturally I leave the stupid cave because we are in no shape to do anything.

fg0202.jpg

Fortunately there's a shrine close by. Hopefully we can drag ourselves there before anyone decides to ambush us.

fg0203.jpg

Halleluyah.

It would appear that this shrine also has a crisis that is of interest to us, but we don't do anything until we've rested.

fg0204.jpg

fg0205.jpg

Resting in shrines costs an arm and a leg but it's super-effective. It heals ALL HP, removes ALL negative conditions, and even improves morale up to 3, as seen by the smiling Njal.

Now let's see about that high priest.

fg0206.jpg

god1.png
In the eaves are folk swayed by his wayward words.

priest1.png
His words are false.

What shall we do about this renegade high priest, ye codex?

"Tell him to worship his gods" is a god wits check. "Let Njal meet his words" will test Njal's wits. The other options appear self-explanatory.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If our journey so far has taught us anything, it's that the only way to be a good and merciful god is to immediately kill everything and everyone we encounter. Let the blasphemer taste steel.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This man is not worthy of our words or our fists. Let Njal deal with it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If our journey so far has taught us anything, it's that the only way to be a good and merciful god is to immediately kill everything and everyone we encounter. Let the blasphemer taste steel.

It's called a good run, not a nice run.

Strike this insolent priest down.

lightbane

Arcane
The asshole wizard jumps to engage the churl, the weakest actual combatant in our party.
I'm surprised that even a wizard strikes in melee. You also face left, instead of right, as it tends to be the case in Darkest Dungeon-style games.

"Let Njal deal with it. Hopefully his 7 wits will be enough."

This. Priest vs priest!
He literally has (a) god on his side!

Luka-boy

Arcane
I'm okay both with having our priest debating with the heathen or debating with him violently.

:balance:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
fg0138.jpg

Ah, so there's a very own local not-Fafnir to be had as well.

fg0212.jpg

Engaging in diplomacy with Njal's help won the vote. Let's see how it works out.

fg0213.jpg

Four dice being rolled means this is a double check on his wits. The stakes are extra high!

fg0214.jpg

Das rite!

(why there are two sets of completely different dice is anyone's guess)

fg0215.jpg

Grooving!

Turning the priest back towards the One True Faith scores us 3 souls, while Njal not only gets +2 morale from his success, he also levels up. And we've accomplished this without having to murder anyone!

fg0225.jpg

But there is no time to celebrate. WE HAVE SOME UNFINISHED BUSINESS.

fg0226.jpg

Seeing that the granary is almost empty, I grab some quick McDeer from the nearby woods before proceeding.

fg0227.jpg

ONWARD!

fg0228.jpg

!!!

The sins of this beast are many. Kidnapping m'lady, harassing the innocent volk and, most of all, being a stinky slinky, all warrant death. Not to mention that:

god1.png
Many would deem it worthy to slay this wurm.

Therefore, stealth or diplomacy is not an option. TO BATTLE, BLOOD RAVENS!

fg0230.jpg

The way your dudes jump into the arena each time combat starts is pretty goofy.

fg0231.jpg

The wurm is a tough opponent. He has 15 HP and is guaranteed to hit like a truck, while the combat constraints allow us to engage him with only 3 dudes at a time. Fortunately, since we've caught him napping, we can attack on our own terms and get a free round of attacks in before he wakes up, and also our top three dudes to throw at him are all strong.

fg0232.jpg

I skip Ullin's first turn because he's bound to get murdered and let the god do the facetanking.

fg0233.jpg

Then it's Ilsa and finally Ullin. Njal will have to wait for someone to die.

fg0234.jpg

The wurm is nasty not only because his attacks are strong, they also poison the target.

fg0236.jpg

Brave Ullin manages a critical hit on the beast, drastically speeding up our progress.

fg0238.jpg

Eventually the god can't take anymore and has to leg it to safety.

fg0239.jpg

Njal bravely jumps in his place. The wurm has only 4 HP left, so this should be as good as done.

fg0240.jpg

The wurm opens his ugly gob all the way.

fg0241.jpg

excuse me what is going on

fg0242.jpg

oh you motherfucker

fg0243.jpg

Terrible manners, has no one told him not to burp in public?

Everyone's hit by the gas cloud, but fortunately only Njal gets poisoned from it.

fg0245.jpg

Ullin gets ANOTHER crit attack in.

fg0246.jpg

And the wurm is no more.

fg0247.jpg

It's pretty fortunate that we have Healing Hands to get rid of all these cripples and poisons, otherwise it wouldn't be such a no-brainer to facetank with the god.

fg0248.jpg

UO0205.jpg

We rescue a maiden, flay the beast for its hide, and lift a great worry from the innocent volk all in a day's work!

Before leaving the wurm's lair, I heal the god with Healing Hands.

fg0250.jpg

And as if that wasn't enough, clearing out the cave gets us remote worship through the accomplishment of BOLD DEEDS. Leading some lost normies out, whacking a wizard and slaying a wurm goes a long way in FG world.

fg0251.jpg

:dance:

Let's inspect our spoils.

fg0252.jpg

The cloak gives us a defence bonus of 1, and also apparently lets us talk to seagulls. The latter is clearly better than the former.

fg0253.jpg

"Soft hands" eh :bounce:

By herself, a maiden is even more worthless in combat than a priest. However, she acts as a cheerleader and gives significant attack boosts to any allies who attack the same target as she. She'll also help the god recover more HP when resting, which is coolio.

fg0254.jpg

Njal is the only one who emerged poisoned from the last fight. Sickness can leave you with 1 HP at worst, so this isn't much of a big deal in his case and there's no need to waste resources to heal him. He should be perfectly safe unless a brick drops on his head somewhere in some event.

fg0258.jpg

We move on the explore das world.

fg0260.jpg

Let's see what this barrow holds.

fg0261.jpg

!

For reference, Orm is the boss god. And this Ormson is the boss god's son [intelligence]

priest4.png
We must set this right.

Let us hear what Njal has to say about this fellow.

fg0263.jpg

We have souls to spare, and this seems like a goodly deed, so I renew the seals.

7de.jpg

fg0265.jpg

god1.png
A thirty-weight of gold will gild these walls.

Too bad we don't even have a ten-weight of gold.

But he will have my sword!

fg0268.jpg

UNWORTHY

I assume the same will be true of our cardboard t-shirt.

fg0270.jpg

Sure enough.

Guess we'll need some better bling to give this fellow a proper burial.

Time to leave... for now.

fg0271.jpg

Oh, neat, free info.

Since we lack the gold and this guy needs it, I ask exactly about that.

fg0272.jpg

Hmm!

fg0273.jpg

We've heard of this place before, and it IS close by.

fg0274.jpg

Apart from gold, "Oraekja's Folly" can also be found at this castle, whatever that is.

Setting a course for Sverdgate!

fg0275.jpg

But something stops us right before the gates! Something... wicked!

fg0276.jpg

maiden1.png
This is misspent strength!

The good god obviously cannot tolerate or affirm such blatant thievery, so we won't be paying them a dime. Perhaps Hilda can shame them into changing their ways?

fg0279.jpg

fg0280.jpg

god1.png
Serves me right for trusting a woman with a man's job.

fg0281.jpg

Hilda pushes us straight into a fight while also getting her morale down with the failure.

TO BATTLE!

fg0283.jpg

Fortunately these guys are scrublordy.

fg0284.jpg

The random shade encounter was more threatening than this.

fg0285.jpg

Ullin is slowly becoming our instant outlaw remover with his arrow + first strike combo.

fg0286.jpg

Meanwhile the god gets a crit on the fighter, taking half his hp in one blow!

fg0289.jpg

As the maiden jumps in to help the god, you can see a little sword pop up over him to show her cheerleading abilities.

fg0292.jpg

And the god whacks the fighter for half his hp again without critting. The maiden bonus is VERY stronk, and best of all - non-combatants like maidens and priests aren't bound by the engagement rules, so they can jump in to attack anyone on the field regardless of the situation.

fg0293.jpg

Das rite.

fg0294.jpg

Once ill-gotten money changes hands enough times, it's no longer ill-gotten, therefore we appropriate all of it with a clear conscience.

fg0296.jpg

We also got this from the outlaws. It doesn't have any immediate use but I'm sure it'll come in handy.

fg0298.jpg

Blow the horns, bang the drums, Norse Jesus is coming to town!

fg0297.jpg

Curious.

Note that we can pay for food with hack silver. Food prices in castles are ridiculous so we'll be better off saving that for a steading.

I ask for some tidings.

fg0299.jpg

And that's all there is to learn.

Sounds like there's trouble brewing ahead.

fg0300.jpg

Therefore I first hunt and rest before we go meet the jarl.

fg0301.jpg

Take me to them... that I may render judgement.

fg0302.jpg

"He's not much of a man" :D

Loverboy needs his whole army to guard his bedroom against some perverted geezers! Truly, no wonder the gods stopped caring for this land!

"Trick the dead with Hilda", you say...

maiden1.png
What do you mean by that look?

No, obviously Norse Jesus is above such shenanigans. He also won't persuade the jarl to agree to any terrorists' demands.

god1.png
I would have a word with these sleazy old men.

fg0306.jpg

Well, this escalated quickly.

priest4.png
What they want is not right.

No going back now. What do we do about these oldfags, ye codex?

- Fight them is obvious.
- Warning him is a might check, but Norse Jesus shall not do anything of the sort, clearly.
- Letting Njal handle it will check his wits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom