Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Fallout - VD left, never to return. (Completed)

Carceri

Arcane
Is this how you want the VD to be remembered: the chickenshit terrified by scorpions and rats? There will be other critters later to be scared of...ehehe.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
03 Not Much Hope

ian.jpg
Your choice, Brian. Fight...or flee?
vd.jpg
I'm guessing we should flee.
ian.jpg
I'll give you a headstart. I'll start shooting to draw their attention.
vd.jpg
Don't die on me...
01.jpg

01a.jpg

True to his word, Ian stayed behind and bought some time for us to escape. The scorpions got a few stings on him, but not bad enough to be dangerous. We regrouped after he outran the scorpions and made our way back to Shady Sands.

02.jpg

03.jpg

There, I bought a rope off Seth for 22 chips.

04.jpg

Having done so, I visit the town's doctor to hand over the radscorpion venom sac.

raz.jpg
Hello, stranger. Can I help you with anything?
vd.jpg
Dr. Razlo, what can you tell me about radscorpions?
raz.jpg
Not too much. They seem to be extremely large versions of the north American Emperor scorpion. Contrary to my medical knowledge, their poison has grown more potent, not diluted, as I would expect. Seth has been hunting them, which helps some of my tests. And how such a large creature can even be possible by natural evolution, or even radiation induced mutation is beyond me.
vd.jpg
You seem well-educated. What are you doing here?
raz.jpg
Doc Morbid in Junktown taught me some. And just because we live in stone huts, does not mean we are less intelligent or educated.
vd.jpg
Apologies if I offend, doc. I have a sample of the Radscorpion poison, can you do something with it?
raz.jpg
Let me see it! Yes, I can do something with this.

The doctor carefully takes the venom sac from me and takes it to the back of his house to start working on it. Minutes later, he return with a small bottle of liquid.

raz.jpg
Here, take this as a free sample. It seems to work well against radscorpion stings, of course, but it shows much potential as a general anti-venom and poison cure.
vd.jpg
Thanks, doc.

Looks like I've done some good here. Time to get back to Vault 15.

05.jpg

06.jpg

With the length of rope, we successfully descend into the second level of the Vault and met more rats. Our exploration is punctured with the occasional gun shot and death screech of the mutated rodents.

vd.jpg
Shit. I'm going to need another rope to get down to the third level.
ian.jpg
Man, can't you even remember how many floors down we need to go?
vd.jpg
Ok, my bad. Let's see if there's any rope nearby we can use before wasting more time.
08.jpg

A search on a nearby locker solves that problem.

09.jpg

vd.jpg
OK. We can use this. And the jacket should help protect me better. The jumpsuit is starting to itch.
10.jpg

And deeper we go.

11.jpg

vd.jpg
Mmm. The Vault's layout is nearly identical. Except for some major structural damage. There should be two lockers with some supplies in the second door to the left...
12.jpg

vd.jpg
Oof. Fucking mole rats.

Several gunshots later...
13.jpg

14.jpg

vd.jpg
Not bad. A pair of grenades and a dynamite.

The second locker gives more firepower.
15.jpg

vd.jpg
Sweet, SMG! I never get to requisition this from the Overseer! Come on, Ian, the water purification control room is just beyond the next hall to the lef..
16.jpg

vd.jpg
Damn.
ian.jpg
Ain't nothing we can do about it. Doubt anything survive under that rubble.
vd.jpg
God-fucking-dammit. Where else can I find a water chip? Fuck!
ian.jpg
What now, Brian?

I knelt down and pick up a crowbar from the floor.

17.jpg

vd.jpg
We're going back to my Vault. See what the Overseer has to say about this.
18.jpg

Brian is level 2. What should we improve?

lightbane

Arcane
Considering you're playing with a non-combat character, I say give 10 points to Speech and the rest on Small guns (or Energy Weapons if you feel brave), so that you can at least defend yourself.

SoupNazi

Man, this makes me want to play as well, but you know I'll just quit halfway and read the LP instead. :(

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Guns and speech sounds good - this way we can use our gun skill first and put the Radscorpion to the question afterwards.

RK47

Patron
04 The Unlucky 13

01.jpg

vd.jpg
Hang on, I think I saw something.
02.jpg

vd.jpg
Curious. A leather bag. Who left this here?

I open the bag and notice a pair of apples and four bottle caps inside.

ian.jpg
Finders' keepers.

Many days later...

It's supposed to be Christmas..and things are not looking great for Vault 13.

03.jpg

04.jpg

ian.jpg
Nice door. Probably would hold most explosives and stuff.
vd.jpg
Eh, it's never been tested for those. The Vault has very little contact with the outside, if any. I'm probably the first in many years to step out. So, I really doubt anyone else knows where the Vault is located. And that keeps the place safe.
ian.jpg
Well, now I know.
vd.jpg
You won't tell, right?
ian.jpg
No problem, Brian.

I press the transmit button and shout at the control panel to open the door. This time it worked.

05.jpg

06.jpg

vd.jpg
At least there's no radscorpions.
07.jpg

I step over and open the flare cabinet on the wall.

08.jpg

No one will miss these.

09.jpg

vd.jpg
Let's head downstairs.
10.jpg

ian.jpg
Man, except for one elevator, the layout of this Vault is pretty much alike to 15.
vd.jpg
Yeah, kinda.
11.jpg

Wonder if the anyone would mind if I borrow some stuff from the supply storage?

12.jpg

Pfft. It's unlocked. But it looks emptier than I remember it. The Vault must be running out of supplies at a greater rate than I imagined.

13.jpg

I grabbed a first aid kit, a dose of Mentats and two stims. Satisfied, I walk over to the Overseer's office.

14.jpg

The Overseer's eyes glows when he sees my return. He gave Ian a glance before turning back to me.

15.jpg

vd.jpg
Not good, Vault 15 is thrashed. I'm afraid I couldn't find the Water Chip there. But based on what I saw out there, the radiation count is low. Why don't we just move out of the Vault?

His eyes darkens at the suggestion.

16.jpg

vd.jpg
Come on, we've got to re-learn the basics. Eventually. We weren't meant to stay in the Vault forever, right?
overseer.jpg
Look, I know it's got to be tough. But we're counting on you. And we're running out of time. Please! Keep trying!
vd.jpg
Alright, I'm sorry.

He sighs. The burden on his shoulder continues to grow.

overseer.jpg
Don't be sorry. I know you're trying your best and that means a lot. But you can't give up now. Is there some problem, do you need more equipment? Is there anything we can do to help?
vd.jpg
I could use some more stuff.
overseer.jpg
Here, take the last of our ammo and portable healing supplies. We're in trouble. Hurry!
vd.jpg
I'll do my best.

We walk a distance away from the Overseer, and Ian speaks up.

ian.jpg
Your boss is an asshole.
vd.jpg
I know, but I'm not doing this for him, really. I have friends in the Vault.
ian.jpg
Yeah, but what's his angle? I mean, Shady Sands can take you in. You've got supplies to share and equipment, they'll teach you how to farm and survive.
vd.jpg
I think we're not ready for that yet. Whatever happens, let's try our best.
ian.jpg
Okay, suppose you DO find the chip, what next? You fix it and you're going to hole yourself in the Vault again until something breaks again?
vd.jpg
Well...I never really thought that far, Ian. I'm just trying to save my home. *Looks at his PipBoy*

19.jpg

vd.jpg
We've got 4 months left...
ian.jpg
Moving out?
vd.jpg
No. I'd like to see some of my friends first.
20.jpg

21.jpg

vd.jpg
Hello, Lyle. How are you holding up?
lyle.jpg
We're doing all right here. But I hope that you find the water chip soon. Everybody's on edge and we don't have much time.
vd.jpg
I'll give it my best shot, Lyle.
22.jpg

vd.jpg
Not so good, Cindy.
cin.jpg
We knew that there was no hope. I don't think we'll get a new chip in time.
vd.jpg
Don't say that...
cin.jpg
I think that some of us should move outside before it's too late.
vd.jpg
Hmm. That might be best.
cin.jpg
That's what Theresa thinks. She's got it all worked out. We're thinking of leaving the Vault soon.
vd.jpg
Well, yeah, I think you should, but not so soon. Give me some time to find that chip.
cin.jpg
Maybe you should come to one of our meetings. Theresa has some good ideas. We meet in her room on the second level, at five o'clock each evening.
vd.jpg
I'll think about it.
23.jpg

I guess there's no harm in burning an evening here. I won't be back for a long time, anyway.

Later, that evening...
24.jpg

vd.jpg
Well...you shouldn't drink glowing water.
ter.jpg
Thank you SO much. I can see you're going to be a big help. Why don't you just leave?
vd.jpg
Sorry. I'm half joking. You were planning to leave the Vault?
ter.jpg
It's only a matter of time before we run out of water here. But the Vault was never meant to keep people inside forever! We have the people and the supplies to move outside now. We have a better chance.
vd.jpg
Well, that's a good point, Theresa. But is everyone on board with this idea?
ter.jpg
No. Just me and several others..
vd.jpg
The Vault was made to release its inhabitants together as a group, not as a small band that will be quickly overwhelmed. Wait for the Overseer's decision and try not to rush into things. Trust me, I've been outside, and it's no picnic.
ter.jpg
Hmm. Perhaps you are right. There are probably other survivors out there, and they could be hostile, too. I guess we will need to wait for everyone else to be ready.
25.jpg

That calmed down the crowd. The last thing this Vault needs is a splinter group. Now, I better hurry up and look for that Water Chip.

Level 3 perk: Awareness selected
26.jpg

ian.jpg
We leaving then?
vd.jpg
Yeah, let's stop over at Shady Sands for some bartering. Then hit southwest to Junktown. I might be able to chase some leads from there.
ian.jpg
Ready when you are.
27.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
If possible, solve the Radscorpion problem (either by killing them all or using explosives) and then deal with the Raiders. For maximal powergaming, rescue the hostage peacefully, then come back later and kill them all.

spekkio

Arcane
OLOLO What is this? Don't tell me that games were so shitty in the past? How can people even compare wonderfool graphics of Fallout3 to this shit. Thank you Bethsda for saving this franchise!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Here is what I never liked about the first Fallout.

There is almost never anything more to a given quest.

1. You just tell the Vault to calm down and the possible revolt in the Vault is over. That's it? No followups? No future revolt of a more radical or dangerous kind?

2. You kill or block the radscorpions, and it's over. So didn't Shady Sands have some plans that were blocked by radscorpions? Will they start them soon? Could the player be a part of it?

3. You end all crime in Junktown and never come back there again. Didn't Killian have some plans to attract traders and businesses from other hubs now that his place is crime-free?

4. You join the Thieves Guild, do one damn quest, and never speak to them again. Why join them at all?

5. You join the Brotherhood, and...get three simple quests? Aren't there regular duties to which you may attend? Aren't there any tasks to do with which you can rise up the ranks?

Don't get me wrong, I loved Fallout. But even Knights of the Old Republic had more content than this game. You didn't just poison a bed. You could always double cross and triple cross both the poisoners in KotOR. In Fallout, there is rarely more than one level to anything.

RK47

Patron
Those are valid complaints Wyrmlord. And I'm struggling to scrape content from whatever is there. But everyone looks the same, and I can feel the frustration of first time gamer (since I kinda forgot the game) moving around looking for SOMETHING to do in places they visit. Yeah, you can open chests, empty shelves in people's houses, but I don't feel it's that rewarding.

This does not mean the LP is going to be abandoned soon, I just have to take this to a different direction, to make it fun to read and play at the same time. I'll think of something.

I have to admit, it's the damn nostalgia glasses that made me praise this game a lot. After a decade of no play and another look, she's not as pretty as it seems. Spekkio is absolutely right 99%.

Cassidy

Arcane
RK47 said:
Those are valid complaints Wyrmlord. And I'm struggling to scrape content from whatever is there. But everyone looks the same, and I can feel the frustration of first time gamer (since I kinda forgot the game) moving around looking for SOMETHING to do in places they visit. Yeah, you can open chests, empty shelves in people's houses, but I don't feel it's that rewarding.

This does not mean the LP is going to be abandoned soon, I just have to take this to a different direction, to make it fun to read and play at the same time. I'll think of something.

I have to admit, it's the damn nostalgia glasses that made me praise this game a lot. After a decade of no play and another look, she's not as pretty as it seems. Spekkio is absolutely right 99%.

5/10 - not subtle enough.

RK47

Patron
You can't argue that this is more immersive...

Fallout3_2010-07-05_23-13-36-26.jpg

:smug:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
RK47 said:
I can feel the frustration of first time gamer (since I kinda forgot the game) moving around looking for SOMETHING to do in places they visit. Yeah, you can open chests, empty shelves in people's houses, but I don't feel it's that rewarding.
I know I am now stepping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

What happens at the Brotherhood of Steel bunker?

1. You get one quest to order material needed for power armour.

2. You get to raise your Unarmed and Melee skill.

3. You get to recruit the help of Brotherhood of Steel Paladins to fight just the outer mutants in Mariposa.

4. You get to requisition ammo every week.

5. You get to use some data on mutant sterility.

6. You get to raise your attributes.

Those are not small perks. They are, in fact, quite helpful. But you receive them all in one go. The moment you become an Initiate in the Brotherhood of Steel, you have everything and you have hit the upper bound of your advancement. I mean, you don't work to become a Knight or a Paladin with further perks to gain. It's all yours the moment you join.

By contrast, look at Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. When you joined the Dark Brotherhood, did the game just say, "Here's your new horse and armour. And a vampire option. Now get lost." like Fallout typically does with its own factions? No, there were actually duties and missions that formed a part of the Dark Brotherhood, and being a part of the Dark Brotherhood was a slightly longer term commitment in the actual game than being a part of the Brotherhood of Steel was. And there were different perks associated with different levels of advancement.

There. I have gone and said that something in Oblivion was done better than something in Fallout. Go ahead and crucify me upside down on a tree. Put this on Best Thread Ever.

laclongquan

Arcane
Dont get so impatient. The quirky little ticks of this game will force an abandon soon enough.

The splinter group will leave with the Exiled at the end of game. Arroyo is founded by them. And think about it: they got a delay period of 4 months to 3 years instead of leaving nearly immediately. More time to think things over, see what an asshole that Overseer is, and more chance to talk with outsider (water merchants). As it is if they leave before the Vault Dweller finish off the Mutant Army and pacify the countryside around them no way they can survive in 2 years.
Killian? He's one damn cop, oi. Good at keeping the peace in town, defense, and just maybe extending some protection to nearby farms in exchange for foods. Mercantile things to do? I dont think so. Trade require a certain mindset to it.
And Brotherhood is one xenophobic asshole of an organization. You trick them into testing you and succeed so they cant back out on that deal. Doesnt mean they accept you as a full member. "Barb", "savage", "white nigga" basically. Why yould you think they will let you have more chance to advance?

Derper

Prophet
Wyrmlord said:
RK47 said:
I can feel the frustration of first time gamer (since I kinda forgot the game) moving around looking for SOMETHING to do in places they visit. Yeah, you can open chests, empty shelves in people's houses, but I don't feel it's that rewarding.
I know I am now stepping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

What happens at the Brotherhood of Steel bunker?

1. You get one quest to order material needed for power armour.

2. You get to raise your Unarmed and Melee skill.

3. You get to recruit the help of Brotherhood of Steel Paladins to fight just the outer mutants in Mariposa.

4. You get to requisition ammo every week.

5. You get to use some data on mutant sterility.

6. You get to raise your attributes.

You don't get 3 without a quest, you don't get 4 (bugged?), 1 is a quest as well, as you yourself pointed out, 6 needs a shitton of money, 2 is sorta an easter egg, 5 needs some work. Point is, it's no way like "Here's your new horse and armour. And a vampire option. Now get lost."

Wyrmlord

Arcane
laclongquan said:
And Brotherhood is one xenophobic asshole of an organization. You trick them into testing you and succeed so they cant back out on that deal. Doesnt mean they accept you as a full member. "Barb", "savage", "white nigga" basically. Why yould you think they will let you have more chance to advance?
Nobody inside the Brotherhood actually gave the impression that they did not want the Vault Dweller there. Why would they send the Vault Dweller to infiltrate the Military Base and end the mutant threat? It's because the Vault Dweller was the only one they could trust, after the work he did in the Glow. (And because they were equipped to defend, not fight.) If they can hold the Vault Dweller in such high regard, there is no reason that they can not promote him for the work done.

What I sense is that the BoS could have had a more active role in the game, but it didn't happen, because of time constraints and limits to how much they could put in one game.

RK47

Patron
05 Death to Scorpions!

1st January 2162. We've arrived at Shady Sands.
01.jpg

vd.jpg
Happy new year, Ian.
ian.jpg
Huh?
vd.jpg
We're in year 2162. Ten hours past year 2161.
ian.jpg
I don't think we kept track of dates out in the wastes. Does it even matter?
vd.jpg
I guess it does matter in the Vault. Our supplies won't last forever, we have to leave some time. Once the radiation dies down.
ian.jpg
So what do you guys do in the Vault to pass time?
vd.jpg
We played some games...pencil and paper RPGs, mostly.
ian.jpg
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this RP thing...
vd.jpg
It's abbreviation for Role Playing Game...we..uh, pretend to be someone. And roll dices and stuff.
ian.jpg
Like gambling?
vd.jpg
Yeah, except you roll to hit imaginary monsters and explore imaginary places. You won't believe how much time I spent with my friends rolling dices through the night. One night, one of the dice fell into the maintenance duct, and I had to cook up some repair excuses to the Overseer to get it back!
ian.jpg
*Rolls his eyes* Brian, I hope you're ready for the outside world, cause it won't wait for you.
vd.jpg
What do you mean?
ian.jpg
I can't deny that you've got a good pair of hands with tools, but not all problems can be fixed with a tool kit and a smart mouth out here...
vd.jpg
Oh, I gotta learn how to shoot like you?
ian.jpg
Think about it, Brian. Some of these dangers can't be reasoned with. Take the radscorpions in Shady Sands for example...how are you going to negotiate with these killers?
vd.jpg
Huh...hey, Seth.
02.jpg

vd.jpg
Take us to the radscorpion caves.
seth.jpg
Are you sure you want me to take you there? I can't go, but I can show you the way.
vd.jpg
Yeah, sure.

Minutes later, Seth leaves us both at the cave's mouth.

ian.jpg
If you want me to train you, I prefer a non-live target.
vd.jpg
I didn't say that. I just want to check out this place. Maybe we can fix this problem without firing a bullet.
ian.jpg
Go ahead. I've got my fix right here. *pats his pistol*

I make my way through the dark, scanning the walls for something of note.

03.jpg

vd.jpg
Hmm. This portion of the cave seems a bit weaker.
ian.jpg
Your point?
vd.jpg
With sufficient damage...we can collapse the entrance to this cave. The scorpions won't be able to come out.
ian.jpg
With what?
vd.jpg
This.
04.jpg

ian.jpg
I hope you know what you're doing.
vd.jpg
Trust me. *Sets the timer and drops it*
05.jpg

vd.jpg
Sixty seconds! Let's go!
ian.jpg
Motherfu- could've at least give me a headstart!
07.jpg

vd.jpg
We should be safe here.
ian.jpg
What now?
06.jpg

vd.jpg
We wait here. Should be another thirty seconds before...

A loud explosion interrupts our conversation. The sound of collapsing rocks echoed through the caverns. It takes several moments before the noise died down.

ian.jpg
Next time, set it at 5 minutes.
vd.jpg
Feh, details. Let's go.
08.jpg

vd.jpg
This should seal them in. Convinced?
ian.jpg
You win this round, Brian.
10.jpg

vd.jpg
Glad you see it my way. Let's give the good news to the townsfolk.
09.jpg

11.jpg

vd.jpg
No problem, Seth.
12.jpg

vd.jpg
You don't need to worry anymore. I've trapped them in their caves.
ara.jpg
You are truly a hero! Know that the people of Shady Sands are most grateful.
vd.jpg
No problem. We have to go, see you around, Aradesh.

We make a final barter for stims from Razlo before leaving for Junktown.
13.jpg

14.jpg

vd.jpg
I might learn how to shoot a gun some time soon, Ian. But for now, I'm counting on you for that.
ian.jpg
Fine. Just watch where you aim that sub-machine gun on the mean time. I don't need extra ventilation on my chest.
vd.jpg
Will do. Say, did I tell you about that RPG module I narrated? I designed this really neat dialogue system where the players are forced to reply in a short timer and..
ian.jpg
Shhh. Brian. Did you hear that?
15.jpg

vd.jpg
Wha-
16.jpg

vd.jpg
Shit.
ian.jpg
Do you want to negotiate with these bastards or high tail it out of here?
vd.jpg
Are you kidding? I've been itching to fire this SMG. Let's bust these fuckers!

The scorpions crept closer, aiming its stinger at me.

17.jpg

vd.jpg
Yeah, come closer you sonuvabitch...

I squeezed the trigger, letting loose a burst from the SMG. It gives quite a kick!

18.jpg

19.jpg

vd.jpg
Fuck yeah!
ian.jpg
Watch your ass!
20.jpg

vd.jpg
Yikes!

I barely dodged that one, Ian let loose four shots in a row to put down the critter.

21.jpg

22.jpg

My turn!
23.jpg

vd.jpg
Get in line, bitches!

My second burst hits all two in a row! A third burst finishes off one, while Ian puts the last one out of its misery.

24.jpg

vd.jpg
We're fucking bad ass.
ian.jpg
Yeah, but one of them got me..I think I'm poisoned.
vd.jpg
Hold still, Ian. I know some doctor skills...
25.jpg

A short treatment later and we resume our travel to Junktown.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah. No. I'm starting to see what everyone is saying. These 4-pixel high chairs are a pain on the eyes. Isn't there like a TC mod so you can play this on the Fallout 3 engine or something?

SoupNazi

The combat doesn't seem to be too dynamic either. I mean what's that, Brian and Ian BrIan taking turns? How's that realistic?

Radisshu

Prophet
I don't think the plot is very immersive. They should've hired Christopher Walken to play the Overseer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom