Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Fallout - VD left, never to return. (Completed)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
17 - Forever Alone

ian.jpg
Brian, let's not rush this. We can wait for the next caravan run. If you give it a few days, the craving should stop.
vd.jpg
No..I'm fine. Really. See? I'm even able to treat Dogmeat's wounds.
01.jpg

ian.jpg
Your fucking hands' shivering, goddamit. You won't even be able to fire a gun!
vd.jpg
I won't need a gun any more.
ian.jpg
Eh?

I grip the spiked knuckles tightly, willing my fists to stop shaking.
vd.jpg
Just gimme a few hours to practice...and let the chems wash off my systems. I..I'll be fine. Trust me.
ian.jpg
Fine.

My victory against a death-claw was no fluke. I have a weapon in my fists. And that is all I need.
02.jpg

Despite Ian's protest that I should rest, I spent a few hours practising my swing instead.
vd.jpg
767, 768...769...
03.jpg

Each swing of the fist is followed with controlled breathing. If it wasn't for the drugs, I'd probably be hell lot sharper by now. But I'm improving.

vd.jpg
997...998...999...Huffff....Hah! 1000!
04.jpg

vd.jpg
Let's go.
ian.jpg
Zzzz. huh?...Oh. Okay.
05.jpg

We left of the gates of the Hub, towards Necropolis, named after the occupants. Ghouls, they call them, control the city. Radiation is high, and there's no telling what they would do to a lone human wandering around their streets.
ian.jpg
We're making good progress.
vd.jpg
Great. It's dark ,though. Hard to see anything.

The caravan lead suddenly waves his hands, signalling the party to stop.
caravan.gif
Up the path. There...looks like humans...wait...ghouls! Get ready, they're not friendly!
06.jpg

Seven of these guys, all wielding knives and spears. Let's hope they're as incapable as they look. The first ghoul drags its feet to get closer at me. I greet him with a cheap shot.
07.jpg

The blow knocks him to the ground.
08.jpg

He's still conscious. I have to put him out.
09.jpg

vd.jpg
Sorry.
I knelt over his body and jammed the spikes on his eyes. He lets out a primal scream as his vision failed him.
10.jpg

Dogmeat finishes him off. His enraged comrade rush at me, only to be greeted by a pistol by one of the caravan guards.
11.jpg

ian.jpg
Fuck, they're coming at me!
12.jpg

I turn around and realize that Ian is in trouble. Big mistake, the nearby ghoul take advantage of my inattentiveness and thrusts his spear at me.
13.jpg

vd.jpg
That's not so bad...Ian, you okay?!
ian.jpg
Oof!

Ian caught a thrust right on his side, tearing his jacket.
14.jpg

Four ghouls surround him and took turns. Things aren't looking good, another blow knocked Ian off his feet...he struggles to stand up.
15.jpg

vd.jpg
Ian! Use the stimpacks, goddamit!

Ian stood up, dazed and searched for the stims in his pocket, when another ghoul came up next to him and thrusts a knife!
16.jpg

vd.jpg
Ian, DODGE!!!
17.jpg

ian.jpg
UGH!

The pain was too much for him, Ian fell backwards, this time he's not getting up.
18.jpg

caravan.gif
Keep fighting, don't lose heart!
vd.jpg
Goddamn it, you monsters!

The caravan lead emptied his shotgun and gets a good hit in.
19.jpg

These bastards are gonna pay for what they did to Ian.
20.jpg

The blow caught the ghoul unprepared. The pain was too much for him and he collapses like a rag, dead.
21.jpg

The ghoul moves on from Ian's corpse and stabs a nearby guard.
22.jpg

The rest starts taking turns, thrusting their spear at Dogmeat.
23.jpg

The caravan lead ran out of ammo and had to resort to his bare knuckles.
24.jpg

Thankfully, his aide is ready to assist and drops the one next to him with a well-placed 10mm round.
25.jpg

I've got problems of my own.
26.jpg

vd.jpg
That thrust was good. But keep hitting me, anything but my dog...
27.jpg

Anywhere will do.
28.jpg

The mutant dropped dead from the blow. His friend doesn't take kindly to his passing and gives a forceful thrust with his spear.
30.jpg

vd.jpg
Fuck you.
31.jpg

32.jpg

He's out of it. The last ghoul dodges a kick from the caravan lead.
33.jpg

vd.jpg
Here, let me make it a little bit harder for you. Cocksucker.

I give myself a running start and wind my right fist back before placing it on the back of his skull. With a satisfying skrunch, the remnants of his brains watered the wastes one last time.
34.jpg

It's over. They're all dead. So is Ian.
35.jpg

caravan.gif
You..you did good back there. I'm sorry about your friend, but we've got no time to bury him. More of them could be coming. Do what you have to do. We'll treat our wounds before moving out.

lightbane

Arcane
34.jpg

EXTREME!!!!!!

Damn, you already lost Ian? So soon?? The future does not bode well for Dogmeat...

Black

Arcane
:salute: Ian you backstabbing son of a bitch :salute:

After he survived Kane and the deathclaw I'm surprised some fucking ghouls took him down.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Isn't there a simple logic to all Fallout NPCs?

If you lose them, they were never worth having anyway!

(Actually no, they are worth having, provided you equip them as well as your own character. Ian should have been given a .223 pistol.)

Morkar Left

You're sure you didn't pick Jinxed as a trait? Now it's down to a Brian and his dog...

RK47

Patron
18 - Night of the Dead

vd.jpg
I'm sorry, Ian. I wish it could've turned out differently.

I erected a simple gravestone from a slightly large rock. Using some of his blood, I wrote out his name. Already, the sands of the wastes erases all traces of the blood...he will be forgotten. I took his belongings..including his bloodied jacket.
01.jpg

vd.jpg
Good bye, Ian. Rest in peace.
caravan.gif
All done? We've finished bandaging our wounds, let's move out.

We left the corpses behind, letting the wastes claims them. The trip was uneventful. Eventually, we reach Necropolis.
02.jpg

vd.jpg
How long before the caravan leaves?
caravan.gif
We usually leave two hours after arrival. There's nothing here we haven't seen before, though, so if you want to leave earlier we're ready whenever you are.
vd.jpg
You go ahead without me. I have a business to settle in this city.
caravan.gif
Listen man, if you're thinking of taking down the whole Necropolis ghouls all by yourself, you've got another thing coming. These guys don't play nice, kid. Drop it.
vd.jpg
I'm not here for revenge.
caravan.gif
If you say so. We'll stay out of your fight if you get into one, okay? No point endangering ourselves before we start our trip.
vd.jpg
Fine.

I walk into the darkened city, Necropolis. There's no light. Green, glowing eyes watch my every step. I decide to be brave and approach one of the group.
vd.jpg
Greetings, ghoul. Do you know of a Water Chip in the area?
03.jpg

vd.jpg
I'm not trying to start a fight here.

Music: Big Daddy
The gang moves in on me....I decide to bolt away before they get too aggressive.
04.jpg

Only to run into another group who decides to take me on, swinging his dried husk of a fist at me.
05.jpg

vd.jpg
You asked for it, mutants.

These bastards are unarmed...but I need to take them out quick, before I'm overwhelmed. I tightened my fist, drawing a deep breath.
06.jpg

vd.jpg
Take this.

The ghoul didn't dodge. Big mistake. Gooey plasma floods his blunted nostrils as he falls backwards.
07.jpg

09.jpg

The rest of the ghouls shambles towards me. The caravan lead shook his head and mouthed a silent 'run' to me before signalling his group to move.
08.jpg

I paid him no heed. A second ghoul growled as he approaches. I was ready for him.
11.jpg

His right cheek came off, exposing his bloodied tongue, disfiguring his already unrecognisable face. Not even his mother can recognize him now. Unless her son is born ripe like a tomato.
12.jpg

13.jpg

A third one approaches, I gripped his head with both of my arm and gave a mighty roar.
ghoul.gif
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUGHHHHHHH!
vd.jpg
FUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU!

With a sickening snap, his head came off, a fountain of plasma flowed freely. I tossed the disgusting organ up to the sky and never looked back.
14.jpg

The rest of the ghoul gave a moment of pause after witnessing the gruesome deaths of their three companions. But I won't give them the luxury of choice. It's time they face the consequences. I walked towards them, determined to finish this fight.
15.jpg

vd.jpg
I'M NOT DONE YET, BASTARDS. COME! LET'S FINISH THIS!

They hissed as I approach.

lightbane

Arcane
I think you're overdoing it, Fallout's deaths were quite extreme already, especially the critical attack ones (more so with plasma weapons).

SoupNazi

This LP won't be the same anymore without Ian. He was like a guide to our hero, who was still amazed by the wasteland... now Brian is a screaming tornado of rage and fists with no companion. :(

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Awww Ian :(

That said, why is Brian slaughtering the Necropolis inhabitants? I guess these are feral versions but still, it's not like they had anything to do with that wandering party.

ironyuri

Looks like all Brian has left is his butthurt to see him to the end.

RK47

Patron
19 - The Dead Water

They started it. By the time I was finished, over a dozen of these ghouls littered the streets.
01.jpg

I did recall that Vault location holodisk mentioning a sewer under a city...could Necropolis be the same city? I pry open the manhole cover and decide to try my luck.
02.jpg

Corpses greeted me. There's been a fight down here.
03.jpg

I could see a light just ahead of me...more ghouls. I raised my fists...ready to fight.
04.jpg

vd.jpg
Oh? Fine. We can talk. But make one wrong move...
ghoul.gif
Thank you for not shooting first. Can I help you with anything?
vd.jpg
Tell me where Necropolis gets its water from.
ghoul.gif
The surface of Necropolis and the water is controlled by Set and his Ghouls. We are a much more peaceful group - which disgusts Set.
vd.jpg
Who is this Set?
ghoul.gif
Set is a Ghoul like us, but has assumed a certain amount of power in the above ground world. He is an oaf.
vd.jpg
Looks like I killed over a dozen of his friends top side. Why does he let you survive down here?
ghoul.gif
He does not speak of it, however Set is afraid of not having enough people to defend Necropolis if it ever needed it. So, he gives us what water we need.
vd.jpg
I'm looking for a Water Chip. Do you know where I might find one?
ghoul.gif
Since our pump stopped working, we have been getting our water from a place under the ground. I have heard that a water computer is being used to purify the water.
vd.jpg
That must the Vault. Where is it located?
ghoul.gif
The watershed is to the north. You'll need to take the sewers to get there.
vd.jpg
Thanks. I'll be going now.
ghoul.gif
You aren't thinking of taking the Water Chip from us are you?
vd.jpg
Why?
ghoul.gif
If you take the Water Chip from us, then we will all die. With our water pump broken, we need the chip to survive.
vd.jpg
Is it possible that your pump could be fixed?
ghoul.gif
That may be difficult. The parts needed to fix the pump were lost in the sewers under the watershed.
vd.jpg
Why is that so difficutl?
ghoul.gif
The sewers there are filled with monsters, and none of my people that I have sent to retrieve them have come back. Are you willing to retrieve the parts, so that the Water Pump can be fixed?
vd.jpg
Yes, I'll do it.
ghoul.gif
Thank you. When you get the parts, return here. It is possible that I can help you further.
vd.jpg
OK, I'll be on my way then.

The path towards the northern sewers are littered with giant rats. They're harder to hit than ghouls.
05.jpg

I decide to just mow these bastards downs with Ian's SMG.
06.jpg

Corpses litter the floor.
07.jpg

A hidden prize awaits me in one of the ghoul's corpse. A plasma pistol! Energy weapon. It's still fully loaded with microfusion cell...but it won't be enough. I decide to save it for later.
08.jpg

One of the ladders up leads to a strange hidden chamber behind some kind of building, the hole is the only way in or out.
09.jpg

A nearby shelf contains a shotgun and some shells.
10.jpg

Last stairs to topside...
11.jpg

It takes me to the watershed area, where the ghouls left me well alone.
12.jpg

I'm more interested with the mutant, similar to the one I encountered in the Deathclaw's cave.
13.jpg

What are they doing here? I peer at the building to the north and can spot a few more inside. Are they allied with the ghouls? The mutants generally ignored what I was doing and let me descent into another sewer entrance.
14.jpg

I introduced Ian's SMG to the family of rats below.
15.jpg

Finally, this looks like the spare parts I need...
16.jpg

It's...too heavy. I gotta make space. I considered what to leave behind. And decided to ditch the metal armor.
17.jpg

Ian's jacket ...will protect me for now. I pull the zipper up, I can still smell the blood on it.
18.jpg

I return to the peaceful ghouls hideout to receive the next set of instructions.
19.jpg

vd.jpg
Yeah, here they are.
ghoul.gif
Well, it looks like you may need some help with the parts. Here are some books that we have found littered around. They may help you. Now please take the parts to the water shed and repair the pump.

These are electronics manual. All three volumes of them. This will take some time to read.
20.jpg

vd.jpg
Mind if I crash here for a while to read all this thing?
ghoul.gif
Be my guess. You will be undisturbed here.

I find a comfortable spot and begin to read, slowly.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Are Tycho and Ian the only companions ? I thought there was suppose to be a few more? I guess fallout 2 spoiled me. Oh well. It seems Brain is destined to be forever alone.

curry

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
Are Tycho and Ian the only companions ? I thought there was suppose to be a few more? I guess fallout 2 spoiled me. Oh well. It seems Brain is destined to be forever alone.

There's third in Boneyard

jonnypolen

Liturgist
lightbane said:
I think you're overdoing it, Fallout's deaths were quite extreme already, especially the critical attack ones (more so with plasma weapons).

Sounds like faggot talk to me.

RK47

Patron
20 - At last

I finished all three books and felt very, very tired. Very light-headed.
vd.jpg
Damn, what's wrong with me?
01.jpg

vd.jpg
Shit. Radiation.
ghoul.gif
I think...you sat too close to us, friend. Uh...I hope you got some anti-rad drugs with you.

I got up, wiping the sweat off my brow. Careless...
02.jpg

I've got to do something about the radiation!
03.jpg

04.jpg

vd.jpg
Alright. I'm finished. Where is this pump of yours?
ghoul.gif
It's in the watershed, guarded by those big ugly mutants. Careful. They'll shoot trespassers.

I return to the surface and found the place without too much trouble.
05.jpg

vd.jpg
But I am a ghoul!

The stupid giant scratched his head for a moment before making a decision.
mutant.jpg
Um...OK. Move along then.

Inside, I found the pump non operational.
06.jpg

This is going to take some spare parts to fix. And the junk is it.
07.jpg

That did the trick.
08.jpg

I spy a lone figure, in a cell, just behind the large water tanks.
09.jpg

ghoul.gif
Hey, please let me out, man.
vd.jpg
Are you with the mutants?
ghoul.gif
No, I'm not. They caught me trying to steal water from the vault downstairs. Please let me out, man.

I carefully pick the lock.
10.jpg

vd.jpg
Where does the water come from?
ghoul.gif
They pump it out from the wells below. There is a manhole in the cell next door that leads to the old vault. This is the source of the water. If it wasn't for the ones below, we would be a lot better off.
vd.jpg
What do you mean?
ghoul.gif
It's difficult to make the old tech work properly, sometimes. The glowing ones lash out whenever we go down there. Us ghouls just leave them alone. And the big mutants don't seem to care one bit.
vd.jpg
I've got your water pump fixed already. I'm heading downstairs. See you.
ghoul.gif
Thanks man, be careful down there!

The ghoul was telling the truth. Now all I have to do is descend down the ladder and retrieve the chip from Vault 12.
11.jpg

Two glowing ghouls, probably highly radiated, stands guard.
12.jpg

They attack as I approach.
13.jpg

They don't prove to be much trouble.
14.jpg

One down, and the other starts fleeing. With Dogmeat in hot pursuit.
15.jpg

The glowing one gave one last defiant dodge before Dogmeat tears off his ankle, finishing the fight.
16.jpg

So this is it...Vault 12?
17.jpg

Power's still on. In my excitement, I accidentally pressed the wrong button.
18.jpg

The controller chip is in the third sub-level. I quickly jammed the correct button before the glowing ones spot me.
19.jpg

I'm getting close, the lay out is identical. No sign of structural damage, and the humming of the water purifier can be heard.
20.jpg

I bolted past the first room unnoticed and sneaked into the storage room. Only to find nothing but bare, empty lockers within.
21.jpg

This door leads to the control room. Three glowing ones look over a dead body.
22.jpg

I gave them an explosive greeting. Hope that didn't alert the rest.
23.jpg

Dazed and confused, they slowly raised themselves off the floor.
24.jpg

One shambled at me and throws a light punch on my direction. It burns.
25.jpg

The heavily wounded of the three decides to limp away.
26.jpg

I threw some rapid punches at the closest one, his face gaining a new makeover.
26a.jpg

He finally decides to flee as well.
27.jpg

The third gave me a good hit that knocks me off my feet.
28.jpg

I couldn't get up in time before he landed a second punch on my ribs.
29.jpg

Dogmeat takes care of the fleeing ghoul.
30.jpg

I'm going to enjoy this.
31.jpg

Die, you miserable fuck.
32.jpg

Another grunt, and Dogmeat finished chewing up the last of the three. The way is clear.
33.jpg

They got in some good dose of radiation with the punches. I decide to save the Rad-Away till I'm clear of the Vault and these fucking ghouls.
34.jpg

I carefully remove the purifier terminal's cover to expose the delicate piece of circuitry underneath.
35.jpg

I pull out my tweezers and get to work. It's out. It's mine. It's still in good condition. Vault 13 will survive.
36.jpg

My mission is complete. Now to leave this hell hole.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I am just amazed by how cool Ian is as a companion, without having much character, dialogue, or personality.

Why?

Because he starts off as virtually better in every combat skill than the player character is. He is a superior Unarmed fighter, superior Small Guns fighter, superior Meelee fighter, and superior Thrower. His STR, END, PER, LCK, and AGI are all enviably high, at levels that the player character can not easily keep at the same time.

So without trying to throw in too much background story or writing, he actually ends up adding to the theme and the story. It's a reminder of humility to the Vault Dweller, because he is nothing compared to even a single simple seasoned Wasteland veteran, that he met on the first village. That's what felt good about Fallout. The Vault Dweller is just a maggot.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wyrmlord said:
So without trying to throw in too much background story or writing, he actually ends up adding to the theme and the story. It's a reminder of humility to the Vault Dweller, because he is nothing compared to even a single simple seasoned Wasteland veteran, that he met on the first village. That's what felt good about Fallout. The Vault Dweller is just a maggot.
Not to mention that, if you avoid metagaming and going for an "optimal playthrough", Fallout is a damn difficult game that will often test you quite a bit just to survive, to figure out where to go next, etc. It's nearly impossible to get through without making sacrifices, and unless you're able to game every situation, chances are you're going to struggle for every victory as you gradually claw your way up. It's not just hard for the sake of being hard - it fits in perfectly with the nature of the world as well, and helps advance the narrative as a result, placing character growth on the same level (or a higher one) as dialogue and story.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The game does, like any RPG, get easy around the last half, even for a first-timer.

Some major quest rewards up ahead, along with cool high level Perks.

laclongquan

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
I am just amazed by how cool Ian is as a companion, without having much character, dialogue, or personality.

Why?

Because he starts off as virtually better in every combat skill than the player character is. He is a superior Unarmed fighter, superior Small Guns fighter, superior Meelee fighter, and superior Thrower. His STR, END, PER, LCK, and AGI are all enviably high, at levels that the player character can not easily keep at the same time.

Admit it: your whole post is just tp deliver that sentence.

Morkar Left

Wyrmlord said:
The game does, like any RPG, get easy around the last half, even for a first-timer.

Some major quest rewards up ahead, along with cool high level Perks.

Depends on how fast you advance and what skills you took. I had a hard time at the end locations because I was only level 10 and one enemy was already enough to instakill me with a lucky critical. Early to midlevel the game was really easy for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom