Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play: Horde! (Finished)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Balor said:
And can anyone please suggest me sound settings that make sound work right?
It hiccups quite often - not utterly unabearable, but more then noticeable and distracting.
Some general suggestions for dosbox:
-Increase the cycles (ctrl+F12)
-Open dosbox.cfg with notepad, go to [mixer] and increase the blocksize.

Of course first of all you should go to the game settings and try some other cards from the menu. For instance if you have Soundblaster try adlib.

Balor

Arcane
And where are those settings?
I saw only 'sound on, music on' and that was all?

Nedrah

Erudite
Don't know about this game (which I'll have to aquire soon, cool LP!), but usually there should be a setup.exe or setsound.exe (or .bat) that you'd use to configure the real sound settings.

Edit: Abandonia has it, including a 1.1 patch... Just saying.

Edit2: So, yeah, there's no setup program AND the patch seems to be for a different game. Oh well...

WhiskyWolf

Novice
18update2.jpg

Where is it?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
I need to get de-addicted from HoMM III before I'll be able to update.
forget hom, you have an obligation to the raving codex crowds howling for moar.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Welcome back after a longer break, my loyal subjects!

This time we will be facing the (most probably) last year in the Tree Realm of Alburga.

UO0434.jpg

as always, an overview of the town.

UO0435.jpg

Moved in a new herd of cows

UO0436.jpg

Mr archer is still stationed in the west. And apparently we're out of cash to hire archer_02. Shucks.

UO0437.jpg

UO0438.jpg

UO0439.jpg

I need to remember about stretching that lake in the south a bit. A lot of the retards drown there.

UO0440.jpg

Whoa... The guy living in that house must have a jolly good time right now.

UO0441.jpg

Mo-mo-mo-mo-moooonster kill... kill... kill...

UO0442.jpg

UO0443.jpg

UO0444.jpg

UO0445.jpg

UO0446.jpg

Damn villagers. Don't they teach self-defence in that pussified, feminized world of this?

UO0447.jpg

Moved the cows a bit because of rocks (which was a damn stupid idea, and you'll see later why).

UO0448.jpg

And now for the lake...

UO0449.jpg

Our finances aren't particularly splendid, and digging out a square of land takes 10 gold, so I only broadened it a bit and removed the small islands that allow the hordlings to take a breath occassionally. Well, it must suffice for now.

UO0450.jpg

UO0451.jpg

UO0452.jpg

UO0453.jpg

And here's why it was a damn stupid idea to move the cows so far north. It means I have to run a shitload of distance to get to them when they are under attack, while hordlings are running rampart in the town itself.

UO0454.jpg

That's the last of them in this sector. Now to aid the villagers.

UO0455.jpg

UO0456.jpg

UO0457.jpg

UO0458.jpg

UO0459.jpg

UO0460.jpg

Uh... what the fuck? Hirelings -1? I didn't even HEAR the archer going down, so he must have been eliminated by some hordling spec-ops or something.

UO0461.jpg

Right, at least now I won't have to be a long distance runner.

UO0462.jpg

UO0463.jpg

UO0464.jpg

There I was, minding my own business listening to a lovely hebrew mass, when I saw an enemy in the centre of my village!

SHAMAN!!!

I didn't manage to get a picture of him though, so radar sightings will need to suffice

UO0465.jpg

Now he is in the far south.

UO0466.jpg

And finally hunted him down in the east. Faggots really like to teleport around the place.

Meanwhile, the archer had quite a killing spree.

UO0467.jpg

UO0468.jpg

UO0469.jpg

Darn. The one at my current location should be occupied with staring at the wall pointlessly for a while, so I go attend to the eastern front.

UO0470.jpg

And rightly so, the one I left behind got headshot by the bowman

UO0471.jpg

UO0472.jpg

The trees won't save you, welp!

UO0473.jpg

Whoa, now THIS is a good result for this time.

UO0474.jpg

Winter. We should be getting transferred after this.

UO0475.jpg

So I took the liberty of selling the cows and walls.

UO0476.jpg

25? Oh my, this is rather overwhelming.

UO0477.jpg

First sightings in the north.

UO0478.jpg

UO0479.jpg

UO0480.jpg

Notice the radar. WE'RE BEING SURROUNED, CAP'N.

UO0481.jpg

UO0482.jpg

While playing this, I kept hearing 'HELP!!!' nearly every second, and given the amount of the screams, I had no idea where to go really, so I was just running around killing random hordlings.

UO0483.jpg

UO0484.jpg

Oh shit...

UO0485.jpg

HOLY BUTTFUCK!!

I tried to get near them and drop a few bombs.

And I misscliked and did a step down by accident...

UO0486.jpg

FUCK.

UO0487.jpg

... -_-

The royal Le Tzphlay congregation shall assess the situation at hand, and come back with an update later.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Greetings citizens of the Codex!

The last visual material was the Knight School's medial campaign titled 'How NOT to defend your little hamlet!'.

And now for the task at hand.

UO0489.jpg

Last time we left our village, we finished the third year in the Tree Realm (*cough* *cough*).

UO0490.jpg

So, we buy a new herd of cows from the local travelling cow salesman.

UO0491.jpg

And having nothing better to do, expect another invasion.

UO0492.jpg

*Commander Burnhardt* ENEMY SIGHTED

UO0493.jpg

Haha, notice how five of the cocks died already. Swimmin's a dangerous sport for hordlings.

UO0494.jpg

*warrior voice from Myth* Let's get 'em.

UO0495.jpg

UO0496.jpg

UO0497.jpg

UO0498.jpg

Some random pictures of mature themes, such as excessive violence.

UO0499.jpg

That's one a bit good thing about the thieves. They mostly destroy a house and run off instead of eating the villagers.

UO0500.jpg

Double kill.

UO0501.jpg

And not a bad result too.

UO0502.jpg

Moved the cows a bit further north. QUIT EATING UP THE LAND, WALKING STEAKHOUSES.

UO0503.jpg

Hired a second archer too. Should make our work a bit more efficient.

UO0504.jpg

Here's where I planted him.

UO0505.jpg

But then I decided to fuck.dat and move him further south.

UO0506.jpg

And again removed the small islands on the southern lake.

UO0507.jpg

Lock'n'load.

UO0508.jpg

Some d00dz incoming. Went to fend off the one in the north since there aren't any violent oppositions stationed there.

Also, this moment I noticed how the western archer is standing right in front of a house that kind of blocks his field of view...

UO0509.jpg

UO0510.jpg

rollin'

UO0511.jpg

rollin'

UO0512.jpg

rollin' on the river.

UO0513.jpg

UO0514.jpg

Attacked too many times and got dazed. Fortunately, with the extra archer the situations are not as desperate, and I can spare a second or two stading around doing nothing.

UO0515.jpg

UO0516.jpg

And here you see what happens when hordlings try to get the villager right in front of the archer

UO0517.jpg

Splat. Two left. One got shot down by the archer a second after taking this screen, so where's the second one?

UO0518.jpg

Ah, here's the wayward son of mother earth.

UO0519.jpg

UO0520.jpg

See the hearts? I killed him with the power of love. Chauncey was raised by cows, so he's probably a dirty hippy.

Damn hippies.

UO0521.jpg

Removed the cows to find a new place for them to stay.

And hell, I'm kind of running out of grass close to the town out here.

UO0522.jpg

Put them here eventually, a bit far, but at least that area's not populated by hordlings too much.

UO0524.jpg

UO0525.jpg

And again, a shaman popping right under our very noses!

UO0526.jpg

Time to get his cowskin-coated arse.

UO0527.jpg

Archer_01 - SIR, I'VE GOT HIM IN MY FIELD OF VIEW, BUT CAN'T GET A CLEAR SHOT, SHOULD I PROCEED, OVER?

UO0528.jpg

Archer_02 - NEGATIVE, ARCHER_01, WE MIGHT BE HITTING CIVILIANS BY ACCIDENT. WAIT TILL YOU'VE GOT A CLEAR SITUATION. MAINTAIN RADIO SILENCE FOR NOW, OVER AND OUT

Archer_01 - BUT SIR...

UO0529.jpg

Archer_02 - HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T MAINTAIN RADIO SILENCE RETARD, THEY START SHOOTING FIREBALLS THAT TAKE DOWN 10 HP.

UO0530.jpg

After that, the shaman teleported... uh, somewhere, so I proceeded to kill off regular hordlings.

UO0531.jpg

see that single yellow pixel on the body of the hordling under the tree? Yup, GOLD!!11

UO0532.jpg

UO0533.jpg

oh for crying out loud.

UO0534.jpg

Where is the goddamn shaman?

UO0535.jpg

Not here, but a thief will suffice.

UO0536.jpg

Strange. Only two thieves left, hiding among the trees. Which means one of the archers shot down the shaman, and we don't even know when, because they maintain radio silence.

Oh well,

UO0537.jpg

SPLAT

UO0538.jpg

THWACK

UO0539.jpg

UO0540.jpg

Whoa, the shitheads actually managed to tear down one part of the wall.

But anyway, winter. Which means we don't need the cows anymore.

Beam us out, mr Spock.

UO0541.jpg

*zzzziiiiiiiiing*

UO0542.jpg

Finally recalled to move the goddamn archer from behind the building.

UO0543.jpg

Right... time to get uberraped...

UO0544.jpg

THEY COME FROM ALL SIDES!!!

Well, maybe only two sides, but they'll start invading from the others soon.

UO0545.jpg

UO0546.jpg

UO0547.jpg

The northern front looks secure. Let's check the eastern one.

UO0548.jpg

Dazed Chauncey is dazed.

UO0549.jpg

There are lots of evil saplings being planted on my crops, but since we'll be getting transferred I don't even bother removing them.

UO0550.jpg

UO0551.jpg

UO0552.jpg

I have peculiarly low hp here, and I have no idea why. Really.

UO0553.jpg

GOLD!!!

UO0554.jpg

Behold... the valley of death.

Although they've split their forces a bit, which *might* make things a bit easier.

UO0555.jpg

Let's try the meat/bomb tactic again

UO0556.jpg

Oh look, an arrow is flying right into my face!

UO0557.jpg

RETARDED ARCHER_01. I'm so getting your ass sacked after this.

Now, planting the bombs took a rather big amount of concetration, so I didn't take any screenshots. I planted two of them, and none did anything. Plus, it's a bitch to calculate their locations so they don't go off prematurely.

So, seeing how they're useless, I CHARGED!!!! into the battle and tried to slash the tanks down.

And hohoho, guess what.

UO0558.jpg

ARGH. And the most frustrating thing is, the moment I got hit, I had 3 hp left.

BUT WHERE DID I GET LAUNCHED??? INTO THE DERELICT SPIKE TRAPS OF COURSE!!!

UO0559.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

This is getting... seriously frustrating -_-

Next time I won't be using any bullshit bombs. Maybe I'll try dropping meat to make the tanks stand still, but nothing except that.

HOPE YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH WASTING VALUABLE CASH ON USELESS BOMBS, STUPID VOTING PEASANTS >:/

>:/ !!!!!

Last edited:

Balor

Arcane
Bombs are not useless. Close to useless, but not always, you and you need them for ice realm.

And you DO NOT just set them and wait. There is a very definite hint in their descrition "Try giving one a kick!".
Which translate that you should drop it, then 'run' into it from the direction you want it to be kicked to.

One bomb takes down a tank, I think. However, bombs can kill you - in fact, I killed myself with the bomb when one final tank stayed on that very map! Imagine my outrage.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Balor said:
you need them for ice realm.

Yeah, I know about that.

There is a very definite hint in their descrition "Try giving one a kick!".

interesting :o

Sometimes I feel like I should read some strategy guides just to know how some stuff works, but I'm too hardcore for that.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Great update, it's always good fun to see you get raped by those tanks.

fractal

Novice
Cows eat up grass faster the more tightly packed they are. Putting 16 cows on a 4x4 patch will turn it into a post-apocalyptic wasteland in one or two seasons.

If you give them enough space, with no cow neighboring another, I think the grass will stay for years. The problem is you either have to enclose a huge area, allowing far sides to be breached even by weak hordlings, or to make a lot of smaller pens, costing tons of money for low returns. Choices and consequences abound.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
fractal said:
If you give them enough space, with no cow neighboring another, I think the grass will stay for years. The problem is you either have to enclose a huge area, allowing far sides to be breached even by weak hordlings, or to make a lot of smaller pens, costing tons of money for low returns. Choices and consequences abound.

Meh, I always did it like that: I made a 'cross' thingy, with 4 cows as the arms and a knight in the centre, thanks to which the grass would stay for a moderate period of time, and they'd still be protected by the knight. It also acted as a 'lure' rather nicely, and many hordlings would RUSH!!! for the cows and get raepd pretty quickly and easily.

But now, we have no knight, and our only means of protecting the cows are walls. And spreading the cows would indeed need more walls which would be costly as fuck.

Balor

Arcane
Instead of making a completely closed pen, I've made a one with an opening - and set a knight to guard it.

Will not help against juggernauts that will simply not notice even stone walls, but not single of my cows were eaten by 'mere' hordlings.
I was rather generous with knights and archers, and still had almost 5000 by the end of Alburga.

The best way to beat juggernauts is to put a PAIR of knights blocking their path, and make sure to drop a few pieces of meat to lure them.

NOTHING can pass two knights at once.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Life 3 can't be cast on dead people. It's a preventative spell.

As for walls being expensive: You get the full cost back as long as you delete them for the winter anyways, so who cares? It's digging moats and hirelings that eat up your funds in the long run.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've been thinking, wouldn't a wall with a moat be an excellent defense?

It might be a good idea to build your pen next to water if you try again. Could kill a bunch of hordlings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom