Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Jagged Alliance 2 (Update 9: Chitzena...problems)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes, that was a rather redundant question, wasn't it? Sorry about that. :oops:

Oh, and that enemy? Just toying with him.. :twisted:

Azira said:
Oh, and that enemy? Just toying with him.. :twisted:

By shooting him in the face and only hurting him slightly? Yeah, I'm sure that was intentional :roll:

root said:
cenobyte also gets quite a nice treat if you save those tourists, since you decided to go for chitzena first and those two pistols arrive very quickly. probably best weapon we'll have currently.

Indeed, I had forgotten about this.

We return to heal ourselves and repair our weapons. I decide to move Ira in position so that she is ready to move into Chitzena and begin militia training as soon as the next fight it won.

On the way there, she notices something...

An ice cream truck! And this dude.

$250 a day won't hurt us since we plan on making much more then this soon. Besides, doesn't everyone want to own an ice cream truck?

Enrico is still bitching.

Before we go back in, here's an overview of everyone's performance so far:

Cenobyte

Prophet
Dream on :lol:

Wait until my merc gets the hand cannons (Automags) or P90s... showtime, Baby :cool:

i am confident in the next battle i will outscore all of you in number of kills and become a sexy tranvestite god of war.

No

Updates as soon as my brother stops uploading 900 meg files of him playing shitty popamole shooters to youtube over a connection with 15 KB/s upload.

Ashery

Prophet
...Was Andhaira really wounded *thirteen* times in a single battle?

Holy shit.

That has to be a bug of some sort.

We decide to enter the northern section of Chitzena. The intelligence of capturing this area first is debatable, but I wanted to fight in a new sector this time.

A little explanation for that wall: As long as you are right up against it, enemies on the other side are completely unable to see a crouching person unless they are also right up against it. However, your vision is completely unrestricted. Basically, this wall is the most imbalanced feature in the game.

We see Andhaira find the first enemy, who is completely oblivious. He almost takes it down but runs out of AP for a final shot.

Eve lands the killing blow. Her kill count has just gone up by 50%!

lol, just kidding. She misses all of her shots. Someone who can actually aim takes him out. :smug:

Andhaira spots an enemy attracted by gunfire. Taken out with a 5 shot burst. More awesome bullet impact physics.

If anyone was interested, Andhaira levels BTW.

Andhaira spots another enemy coming along the wall, so he backs off and lets root cover him from the other side.

Root scores an interrupt, but only manages to half the enemy's advance.

Andhaira interrupts another enemy and unloads a 5 shot burst into him. Remember, he has a foregrip on his weapon. That decreases the burst penalty from 8 to 3.

Root cleans up her target.

Andhaira spots another that takes the previous one's place, and also ends up sharing the same fate

Andhaira spots another one.

Root takes him out in the interrupt.

Combat ends.

We sneak up to the corner, with Andhaira covering the east approach and the other side prone to avoid detection while they close the distance.

Once there, we set up a very powerful defensive position. I expect a horde of enemies to attack from the center or south east so we have defenders aplenty in those directions.

Cenobyte goes to scout the west a bit, backed by Root and Eve. He finds an enemy and does what he does best.

Root sees another enemy running towards the gunfire. He doesn't see us because this wall is stupid powerful. Bad things happen to him because of this.

Combat ends.

I decide to sneak Cenobyte around a bit more.

He finds another enemy and takes him down.

Unfortunately a number of other enemies were nearby ready to help. Cenobyte takes a lot of damage. I don't know if I have a screenshot but he's at about half health. that was a rather silly way to overextend myself when I could have just fired into the air a bit to attract them to my position.

Root is now covering the west, and see's multiple enemies trying to round the corner. She takes them out during the interrupts.

Cenobyte gets bandaged in the meantime by Pariah.

At this point I realize that the enemy turn length is really short, there must be almost none of them left. I start being a bit aggressive.

These enemies are apparently content to stand there and do absolutely nothing while Orgasm and Andhaira murder them from behind sight range.

Root covers them with an interrupts on an approaching enemy who once again never even saw her.

Root finds the final enemy nearby. The area is now clear.

We find some weapons better then what we have, but for now I only take the AKM and give it to Pariah to replace his Commando. I don't give Cenotype the slightly better pistol because that would require him to carry 3 types of ammo at once. The rest of the guns will need repairing, and that takes too much time for now. We want to heal Cenotype and go in ASAP, because Deidranna will be sending her reinforcements soon after we took that area. Since we can only train militia in the southern sector, we want to get in and take it over ASAP for that reason as well as establishing our income.

2 days later Cenobyte is fully healed and ready for combat again. Pariah is a damn good docter. We will launch the assault this night.

Ashery said:
...Was Andhaira really wounded *thirteen* times in a single battle?

Holy shit.

That has to be a bug of some sort.

There were 2 battles, it simply doesn't count our Chitzena one since we retreated. He is an excellent bullet sponge, though :lol:. He is getting hit by autofire which probably counts as multiple wounds.

pipka

Savant
The power of inanity. There's nothing like it.

Will you hire from AIM or MERC? Or is it IMPs and natives only?

spekkio

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
:)
Overweight Manatee said:
lol, just kidding. She misses all of her shots. Someone who can actually aim takes him out.
:cry:

Cenobyte

Prophet
Ouch... I'm heavily abused by our commander and the enemies :shock:

Seems everybody had their fun, except me :cry:

Nickless

Educated
Interesting LP, makes me want to take another gander at the game. I have Jagged Alliance 2 Wildfire lying about somewhere, although I'm not sure how much it differs from JA2 1.13. IIRC, Wildfire lacks some gameplay elements like line of sight visuals. Anyone know if I should pick up JA:2, or go with Wildfire?

Orgasm

Barely Literate
In this thread you can witness the famous JA2 tactical finesse needed to win. Its called Outranging.

pipka said:
The power of inanity. There's nothing like it.

Will you hire from AIM or MERC? Or is it IMPs and natives only?

As mentioned in OP, we will be using only IMPs for offensive battles. All NPC's are strictly in a defensive role. I have nothing against the AIMs and MERCs, but I also have no money. Natives are cheap.

spekkio said:
Overweight Manatee said:
:)
Overweight Manatee said:
lol, just kidding. She misses all of her shots. Someone who can actually aim takes him out.
:cry:
Maybe when we get something to throw at enemies you can start being something other then the repair bitch of the team :lol:

Orgasm said:
In this thread you can witness the famous JA2 tactical finesse needed to win. Its called Outranging.

Yeah, we have some rather powerful weapons at this point for the enemies. Our guns are level 5 or 6 out of 10, while progress-wise enemies we meet should be level 1. I don't know why those weapons spawned, I have the ini option set to limit advanced weapons early. I think some elite enemies in Chitzena just have hardcoded drops since I always get about the same stuff here.

Interesting LP, makes me want to take another gander at the game. I have Jagged Alliance 2 Wildfire lying about somewhere, although I'm not sure how much it differs from JA2 1.13. IIRC, Wildfire lacks some gameplay elements like line of sight visuals. Anyone know if I should pick up JA:2, or go with Wildfire?

I believe Wildfire includes JA2.

From what I have heard, Wildfire includes a lot of stupid AI advantages to make it harder. Like, all AI characters get +3 or 4 sight range or something so they can often outsee even expert night ops characters with high tech nightvision. Most of the good improvements of Wildfire were integrated into 1.13.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Ah, our old friend Hamous! Who can forget the trusty native guide we made to carry all that junk back to the base in the island paradise/hellhole-Metavira? Man, he's classic.

Good call about the mercs, their personalities don't come through in LP anyway since people will miss their lines most of the time.

What I usually do is double weapon damage and triple explosion damage - makes the battles more visceral and bloody. Hardly ever any "just a fleshwound"-things anymore, it's hospital or bodybag-time after being wounded!

GarfunkeL said:
What I usually do is double weapon damage and triple explosion damage - makes the battles more visceral and bloody. Hardly ever any "just a fleshwound"-things anymore, it's hospital or bodybag-time after being wounded!

I would think that would only imbalance it more in the player's favor, since its usually the player who gets the first shot in any encounter. Doubly so, since double/triple damage would mean hurt enemies are far less likely to be able to return fire due to damage effects. The biggest danger in JA2 is always 5 enemies attacking you together when you only have firepower to kill 3.

desocupado

Magister
What is the ?? in the ammo number on the weapons? I never seen them before.

I'm playing 1.13.3111 currently, is your version newer?

After seeing Orgasm's nice video LP of Xcom I wanted to try my own. Tell me how you like it guys. If you want I can still do the screenshots though.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmmtdtizmzw

desocupado said:
What is the ?? in the ammo number on the weapons? I never seen them before.

I'm playing 1.13.3111 currently, is your version newer?

During combat your mercs won't necessarily be able to track the number of bullets left in the weapon correctly. Its a HAM feature.

desocupado

Magister
Does HAM has to be installed separately? I thought it was integrated with 1.13.

Maybe it's in a newer version, but I downloaded it recently, and the 3111 was the newest I could find.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I much prefer screenshots myself, but that's primarily because I cant run videos while at work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom