Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Quest for Glory!

Cassidy

Arcane
Lestat said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
Um, is there combat?
Sure, but my mad sneaking skillz allowed me to avoid it thus far.

Jack Bauer would never sneak to avoid fighting a <s>terrorist</s> enemy.
Can't you edit the save and rename the PC to "Pete Hines"?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Cassidy said:
Lestat said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
Um, is there combat?
Sure, but my mad sneaking skillz allowed me to avoid it thus far.

Jack Bauer would never sneak to avoid fighting a <s>terrorist</s> enemy.
Can't you edit the save and rename the PC to "Pete Hines"?
I don't think so, but I believe I can do it while importing my character at the beginning of QfG 2.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Didn't know you can import QFG1 remake to QFG2...but go on. ;)

Longshanks

Augur
Nice work, interesting read.

Missed this entire series for some reason, probably thought it would be fun but not worth buying. Adventure game with stat checks and some combat, does sound interesting, and the graphics of the remake look fine, may give this a play myself.

Jasede gets me replaying Warhammer: Dark Omen, to finally try and complete it, JarlFrank (I think) gets me very interested in Kingdom of Dragon Pass (definitely looking to play that), couple that with playing some good new RPGs for once in The Witcher and NWN2: MotB, and after a fallow period, I'm now gaming more than I have in ages, lucky I'm not strapped for free time at the moment.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
30jr3.jpg

TWD, rejoice. Not far from the hut I finally encounter a goblin.
The manual explains the combat system very well:
How do I fight?

If one wishes to become a fighter, it is wise to obtain a sword and shield at the earliest opportunity. We do not recommend unarmed combat against a monster, as you can be 'dis'-armed rapidly.

Basic sword work consists of the thrust and swing. The thrust is the deft skewer of the opponent's mid-section, quick and to the point with a minimum of mess. The swing, on the other hand, is a slicing motion designed to release as much of the opponent's interior components as possible. While the swing inflicts more damage, the thrust is quicker. Preference is a matter of personal taste and whether or not you have a strong stomach.

Defense largely depends upon the use of the dodge, block, and parry. While there are those who believe that 'real' fighters do not need such wimpy defensive techniques, most surviving Heroes attest to their effectiveness. Trying to defeat a monster while ignoring the basic defenses usually results in ex-heroes.

Dodge, in theory, is moving out of range of the opponent's weapon. Your agility is a major factor in how well you manage this.

Block is placing the shield between you and the attack designed to lead you to an untimely demise.

Parry is using your sword to prevent the foe's weapon from similarly cleaving your skull. Quick reflexes and practice make block and parry into true lifesavers.
Since I'm a thief, not a fighter, combat plays a bit differently: I can't neither parry, nor block.

31xs3.jpg

Take your words back and stick 'em up your ass, Cassidy. I may try to avoid direct confrontation, but that's only 'cause I feel fucking sorry about killing these poor defenseless weaklings.

Now let's visit the Healer once again and ask her a couple of questions about mandrake roots. Great. They seem to grow only at cemeteries and, to make things worse, must be harvested precisely at midnight. The main problem is that the cemetery is haunted, but the Healer has some magic oil called Undead Unguent in stock that should ward hostile spirits off. Let's also sell her a couple of mushrooms I found in the forest, buy several healing and vigor potions and finally return her the ring.

OK, we have plenty of time left until midnight, so let's find this Erana's Peace everyone is talking about.
32hd4.jpg

This meadow is beautiful! It's also safe, so if you need to sleep, were caught by sunset outside the town, and your climbing skill is not high enough to climb over the walls then that's the place you should be looking for. Let's take some flowers and rest for an hour or two.

The sun has set, but we still have enough time to do something productive before visiting the cemetery. Like seeking out fairies.
33xv9.jpg

After some dancing they reward Jack with a flask of fairy dust. Now to the cemetery.

34fn8.jpg

The Healer didn't lie and the cemetery is indeed full of ghosts. Thankfully, the Undead Unguent works as promised, and I manage to succesfully harvest the root. Time to pay the hag another visit.

35gd4.jpg

Phew, that was close! But the night is still young, so let's break into another house!

36tt0.jpg

This one looks rich, time to test my shiny ACME toolkit...

37mc3.jpg

...and it works like a charm! This room is packed with valuable things. Surely the owner won't mind if I borrow some... OK, here's the list of what I managed to find:

-3 silvers in a desk drawer
-a golden candelabra
-a vase
-a music box and...
-...a safe, hidden behind the picture! Cracking it takes some time, but inside I find 50 silvers.

Let's go and fence all this stuff. 150 silvers for the candelabra, 40 silvers for the vase and 90 silvers for the music box. I'm rich!

In the next episode of this thrilling saga the fate of the baronet will be uncovered. Stay tuned!

sqeecoo

Arcane
Wait wait wait. Is this game "hero's quest"? I played it when I was little, and many of the locations and events are identical, but the graphics are different and some of the things I don't remember (like baba yaga). Anyway, great work Lestat.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yes it is. It's a VGA remake of it by Sierra with a Mouse interface.

[Jez]

Novice
Last year I took a character from 1 to 5 (God was 5 a disappointment) fun times and this makes me want to do that again(bar 5). Anyone know if they was a VGA remake of 2? I need mouse support now :)

Oh and if you want to grind your picklock skill, pick your nose :)
Edit: AGDI are remaking 2 right now

Zomg

Arbiter
I don't think I could get through III if I tried to replay 'em. It's such a weak ass game. QFG 2 is the best one and it really leverages the parser - imagine how much shittier wishing would be with a menu-driven interface, for example. I don't know how they could have done a point and click version.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What's so bad about QfG 3? I might be biased because it was my first QfG, but I liked the way you could explore and train in that tribal camp, and the bits of Arab and, I think, Swahili really made this game for me. It's those little things I appreciate. It was really short though. I thought 4 was weaker. Is this just me or is 3 really the weakest and I don't see it due to nostalgia?

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Very nice, makes me want to play it, blah blah blah. Just one question first, being a Sierra game, will it go "fuck you" a la King's Quest on me halfway in my playthrough, like "What, you didn't get that item before during the five seconds I gave you to search that room? Well, buddy, I guess you're screwed, there's no way back there. Sucks to be you!"?

and

erasmo-carlos.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes. Note how it's not offensive and still PG-13 because you can't see the nipples. (Americans...)

And Cthulhu, my memory doesn't serve me well these days, but I believe you can get pretty screwed in QfG 2 if you do not do certain things at certain times. The same is true for QfG 3. And QfG 4 is so buggy that you might get screwed no matter what.

Hmm, but QfG 1? I think so, but it's really difficult because it is going to be pretty obvious.

What I want to say is that it is no-where near as bad as in King's Quest 6 (that's a great adventure!) where you simply die if you didn't bring X, Y and Z which you can only get by being at location L at time T while having brought item A. (gross exaggeration)

Top Hat

Scholar
Jasede said:
What I want to say is that it is no-where near as bad as in King's Quest 6 (that's a great adventure!) where you simply die if you didn't bring X, Y and Z which you can only get by being at location L at time T while having brought item A. (gross exaggeration)

How the hell did you manage to die in King's Quest 6? I think there's maybe one puzzle that you can't escape from if you don't have something, and you are warned about being prepared before returning and going in if you don't have everything.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Err. Missing the brick to stop the death-trap in the maze. Walking into water. Being tricked by the djinn. Walking into the swamp. Going to the underworld without all items you need. Pissing off the undead. Not having the red scarf when meeting the minotaur. Falling off the riddle cliffs. Being too slow in the final puzzle. Trying to swim through boiling water without tossing the cabbage in first. Missing a single spell component... etc, etc. Not having all FIVE items you need on the island of wonder when trying to go north. Clicking the wrong spot on the spiderweb. I can go on for hours.

I think you may be thinking of KQ 7 (Rosella, Rosella!).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Top Hat said:
Jasede said:

How the hell did you manage to die in King's Quest 6? I think there's maybe one puzzle that you can't escape from if you don't have something, and you are warned about being prepared before returning and going in if you don't have everything.

In the end I didn't give the dagger to my beloved because I thought I might need it myself. Well... bad choice, the bad guy killed me and my beloved couldn't do anything about it because I didn't give her the dagger.

Also, don't make me want to replay KQ6, I don't have the time for it, and once I begin I'd be hooked. It's that great.

Top Hat

Scholar
Jasede said:
Err. Missing the brick to stop the death-trap in the maze... Not having the red scarf when meeting the minotaur.

I would give you this, but you are warned if you don't have everything before you go in to prepare. In fact, if you have everything, I think Alexander says that he's prepared or something.

Walking into water. Walking into the swamp. Trying to swim through boiling water without tossing the cabbage in first.

Yeah, but swimming in the ocean which had just shipwrecked you/walking into a swamp/boiling water don't seem to be sensible actions to take unless you're trying to murder Alexander.

Going to the underworld without all items you need. Pissing off the undead.

Okay, I've kind of forgotten this part, so I'll give you that. But I was sure that you couldn't get to the Underworld unless you had everything. And how did you piss off the undead?

Falling off the riddle cliffs. Being too slow in the final puzzle.

Sure, you can get killed. But climbing a gigantic mountain and fighting are both DANGEROUS things, and you should be careful.

Oh, I also had a hilarious bug where I teetered on the edge for about five minutes before I realized the program had crashed.

Not having all FIVE items you need on the island of wonder when trying to go north.

I'm pretty sure you can use the map to get away if you don't have everything, but it's been a while since I've played this and I'm not sure.

Clicking the wrong spot on the spiderweb.

I'm pretty sure you can LOOK at the spiderweb to get a clue. And, again, playing around with potentially poisonous spiders is dangerous and you should be wary of, um, dying. It IS a Sierra game after all.

Being tricked by the djinn.

Weren't you JUST a bit curious about the sparkling eyes and the fact that no portrait came up when they were talking? So, you go around just trusting anyone who seems to want to get you to do something potentially dangerous?

And to get back to the point of this thread: I'm glad someone's doing a play through of these games because for some reason I seem to stop getting anywhere after a while.

Oh, and don't try to kill the plant for the seed or that stag if you're wary of "death". You, and I guess others too, seem to get turned into things a lot in this game, although none as amusing as a "Graham cracker".

How many times is it safe to eat the mushrooms? I think it's once, but again I haven't played the game in a while.

The dryad asking you "Are you a friend of the forest?" just seems hilariously retarded, like saying "do u liek me? y/n". What are you supposed to say?

I'd also really like to know how to actually do the combat in the original game and I guess in the second one as well. I got the QFG Collection released a while ago, but I lost the manual.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Top Hat, you're the best troll ever. <3

More updates, anyway!

||||

I wouldn't say more difficult, but you have to reload a few more times (for literally missing to pick up needles in a haystack).

Cassidy

Arcane
King's Quest 5 is much more difficult, really a tough one to beat as dying and getting stuck in the game are common occurrences.

abstract

Scholar
The most difficult point and click adventure (I don't count text games since they tend to be harder and you have the added "puzzle" of figuring out the correct command) I've played was KGB >_>

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Speaking of QfG, There was some group of programmers working on a VGA update of QfG2, anyone know if that ever got finished?

Yes I'm too lazy to google it myself :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom