Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play StarDrive - StarDrive Closed Beta keys

tindrli

Arcane
So looks like a mix of MoO (good) and GalCiv (awful). Planet managements screen is almost exactly a copy of GalCiv. Techs also look... generic. Like the art direction tho, pretty. Still I predict its going to suck based on how generic it is and how similar it is to GalCiv.

and design ship is from Space empires :D

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Like the artstyle, ui, graphics, events, ship design and so on. Not to mention the fun races and diplomatic messages. Actually looks like a neat new and shinier Distant Worlds. AI and general polish can be tweaked seeing how this is a beta. I'll keep an eye out for this one. Thanks for sharing!

tiagocc0

Arcane
Just posted this on their forum: tiagocc0 bug report

I know I should look if the bug has already been reported but..
Here my list from playing yesterday the whole day.
I had no experience with StarDrive before so I got a little confused at first.

1_ It doesn't seem that built ships are reported. This can be quite confusing at first.
I know that mid late games you probably will be building lots of ships and won't want all of them reported but at the start timing is crucial and a warning should come when a ship is built, it could come with a button to turn it off so for when it's not important anymore.

2_ It took me quite some time to find the ship list screen, first I found it in the shipyard screen, later I found that the minimap buttons are actually not used for the minimap but to access all kind of lists, ship, planet, fleet and so on. It is quite confusing since I expected those buttons to be related to the minimap.
Ship list is as important as empire management, maybe a ship list button should be on the top like the others.

3_ Anomaly found and general events. It's quite a challenge to find where they happened because when I select them the map zooms in on them, when I close the window it zooms out too fast and goes back where I was. But I don't want to go back where I was, I want to check out the place where the event happened.

4_ When building a fleet I can place a ship behind the right panel (the one where I get the ship to be placed), after it's place I can't get it because the panel is above it. Maybe you shouldn't be able to place ships behind the panel.

5_ There was one time that the Ralyeh declared war on me but there were no message, I just saw their image/animation. I was playing the Drayloks.

6_ So on my last play I had a fleet of ships with missiles, a fleet with ships with bombs and a fleet of troops. I arrived at the Ralyeh home planet, deployed my troops and then.. boom, my ships with bombs bombarded everyone to death, even tough I didn't select bombard.

7_ On my first play I was with the Pollops and right at the beginning the Ralyeh appeared with an ancient ship and exploded my brains out within seconds. It was very frustrating for a race to have such a weapon right at the beginning.

8_ Sometime when going back from an alt tab the game would get stuck all zoomed in on a empty part of the space, I have to hit esc a few times to be able to zoom again and re-position myself on my home planet.

9_ Right clicking on a tech opens a description window but quits the research screen so when I close the tech description I'm out at the map. (It seems Zero already fixed this from another post)

10_ Pirates came to my home planet and destroyed all my ships, then they would destroy any ship I were to build. So I ticked off all AI options but my home planet still insisted on build colony ships.
It was quite a fight between me and the building queue because I wanted to store production to release several fighters at once to be able to kill the pirates.

11_ Right at the beginning of the game, after I explored the first star with my ship (not the scout) I saw some ships guarding a planet, I told my ship to retreat but it just ignored me, went back and got killed.
Then I realized there was a button to tell a ship to not attack.
But I think a ship should first obey my orders and then resume their AI instead of just ignoring me.

EDIT: 12_ Cycling trough the colony governor is very boring, I should be able to select them instead of just cycling and then end up passing the one I wanted and having to trough all of them again.

Well, I think that's it.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Just got the ancient tech, those ancient power core looks great!
18_1_AncientTechUlala.png
It seems as you research them you open access to more tech.
18_1_1_MoreAlienTech.png
Built a ship full of lasers using those neat ancient power cores.
18_2_LaserShip.png
So not I have a fleet of ships with missiles, some ships with bombs and lots of troops. Let's take Ralyeh heart!
18_3_LetsAttackKothlar.png
Uhh, I can build bigger ships!
18_4_CanBuildCruiserNow.png
Just arrived, let's deploy some troops.
18_5_JustArrived.png
WTF? It seems my bomb ships are bombarding the planet without me telling them to, there's a bombard button there, it should only bombard after I click on it.
18_6_WTF.png
Farewell my troops, I will miss you bunch, so sad..
It seems all buildings and troops got killed, but the population remains the same, so you can't exterminate a planet with bombs.
I guess I'm finishing this game earlier, it just ruined everything I planned. Bombs are useless and all my troops got decimated in a few milliseconds.

tiagocc0

Arcane
How about we make a custom race?
The game has an option called pacing, it goes from 100% to 400%, it seems the game builds slower and research slower when the pacing is more than 100%
I will also just put 4 enemies instead of 7.
Maybe a smaller galaxy too.

It has two game modes, normal and another is ascension where races rush to conquer a planet from the Remnant in the center of the galaxy.
GameOptions.png
HistoryAndTradition.png
Physical.png
Sociological.png

We can spend 8 points, suggestions?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Kodexians

-3 Repulsive
-3 Less Fertile
+1 Prototype Flagship
+2 Duplicitous
+2 Savage
+2 Skilled Engineers
+3 Smart
+4 Militaristic

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Physically, Trannies appear both lethal and grotesque, as they tend to project a sense of instinctive, terrifying revulsion upon species who are unfortunate enough to meet them in diplomacy or combat.

:lol:

Very Kodexian indeed!

tiagocc0

Arcane
A pretty normal start, I will research an economic building, since I probably won't be able to trade with other species.
Then a production building, missiles and then I will research to produce more food and finally to be able to build biospheres.
With this I can build anywhere on a planet.
Building some scouts, training a spy, setting everything on AI, minus colonization because it tends to colonize very far away where I can't protect.
20_1_HiThereKids.png
20_2_Research.png
20_3_Scouts.png
20_4_Ai.png
20_5_Spy.png

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
One thing that really bothers me with the research is how there's no crossover between the various disciplines. Everything is contained entirely within its own distressingly small tree. It'd be neat if researching tech X in physics was a prerequisite for tech Y in energy and tech Z in Space Weapons and so forth.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Yeap, research couldn't be made more simple than that.
Most of them seems useless too since you can get the most important techs right from the start by following a straight line.

tindrli

Arcane
Just posted this on their forum: tiagocc0 bug report

I know I should look if the bug has already been reported but..
Here my list from playing yesterday the whole day.
I had no experience with StarDrive before so I got a little confused at first.

1_ It doesn't seem that built ships are reported. This can be quite confusing at first.
I know that mid late games you probably will be building lots of ships and won't want all of them reported but at the start timing is crucial and a warning should come when a ship is built, it could come with a button to turn it off so for when it's not important anymore.

2_ It took me quite some time to find the ship list screen, first I found it in the shipyard screen, later I found that the minimap buttons are actually not used for the minimap but to access all kind of lists, ship, planet, fleet and so on. It is quite confusing since I expected those buttons to be related to the minimap.
Ship list is as important as empire management, maybe a ship list button should be on the top like the others.

3_ Anomaly found and general events. It's quite a challenge to find where they happened because when I select them the map zooms in on them, when I close the window it zooms out too fast and goes back where I was. But I don't want to go back where I was, I want to check out the place where the event happened.

4_ When building a fleet I can place a ship behind the right panel (the one where I get the ship to be placed), after it's place I can't get it because the panel is above it. Maybe you shouldn't be able to place ships behind the panel.

5_ There was one time that the Ralyeh declared war on me but there were no message, I just saw their image/animation. I was playing the Drayloks.

6_ So on my last play I had a fleet of ships with missiles, a fleet with ships with bombs and a fleet of troops. I arrived at the Ralyeh home planet, deployed my troops and then.. boom, my ships with bombs bombarded everyone to death, even tough I didn't select bombard.

7_ On my first play I was with the Pollops and right at the beginning the Ralyeh appeared with an ancient ship and exploded my brains out within seconds. It was very frustrating for a race to have such a weapon right at the beginning.

8_ Sometime when going back from an alt tab the game would get stuck all zoomed in on a empty part of the space, I have to hit esc a few times to be able to zoom again and re-position myself on my home planet.

9_ Right clicking on a tech opens a description window but quits the research screen so when I close the tech description I'm out at the map. (It seems Zero already fixed this from another post)

10_ Pirates came to my home planet and destroyed all my ships, then they would destroy any ship I were to build. So I ticked off all AI options but my home planet still insisted on build colony ships.
It was quite a fight between me and the building queue because I wanted to store production to release several fighters at once to be able to kill the pirates.

11_ Right at the beginning of the game, after I explored the first star with my ship (not the scout) I saw some ships guarding a planet, I told my ship to retreat but it just ignored me, went back and got killed.
Then I realized there was a button to tell a ship to not attack.
But I think a ship should first obey my orders and then resume their AI instead of just ignoring me.

EDIT: 12_ Cycling trough the colony governor is very boring, I should be able to select them instead of just cycling and then end up passing the one I wanted and having to trough all of them again.

Well, I think that's it.

:bro: dont let anything.. how to say.. god damn dont know.. just dont let them screw the game.. we need good 4x

tiagocc0

Arcane
Yeah, let's see if they are not defensive(the type that keeps telling me that hardcore gamers must endure).

tiagocc0

Arcane
Found a great planet, it's max population is 15.8, more than my homeworld 14. Usually even terran planets just have max population 2 or 3. I will send my colony ship.
21_1_FoundGoodPlanet.png
Oh boy, pirates again, ok get my money and spend it on some trannies.
21_2_PiratesNotAgain.png
21_3_OkGetMyMoney.png
Damn, there are ships guarding that yummy planet, is my colony ship fast enough? No it isn't.. poor thing.
21_4_IsMyColonyShipFastEnough.png
Okay so I will change the research order and get missiles first, let's fry those guardians, it a long lost dream for me.
21_5_MissileFirst.png
Found all the other races already.
21_6_AllMyEnemies.png
And those bear sure do like trannies, they asked for a non-aggression pact.
21_7_OwThoseBearsLikeMe.png
Got missiles, it sure took a long time with pacing in 400%.
21_8_GotMissiles.png
We got heavy fighters because we are militaristic, great!
The heavy fighter of humans looks great, I was able to put tons of missiles on it. but it is quite expensive.
21_9_ThisHeavyLooksGreat.png
My spy got level 10, yay, but I just spent all the money, my tax is 25% and I barely making any money.
21_10_SpyLevelTenNoMoney.png
Those Opteris got made at me because my automatic scouts entered their territory, let's go to war!
21_11_War.png

I just finished three heavy fighters and I got the initial flagship. I'm building 4 troops to try to capture a ship.

tiagocc0

Arcane
The governors seems confusing.
If I choose industrial type it puts 100% on production no matter what, it's giving focus to production it's just set in stone to do that way.
It seems it imports food instead of producing, I don't know where from.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I was changing the first pictures from my site to my blogger account, as to not each so much of my bandwidth.

So I attacked those 5 guardians that had shields with 4 ships, my flagship and 3 heavy fighters full of missiles.
22_1_LetsAttack.png
Easy! It's just so easy using missiles. Now let's send a colony ship.
22_2_Victory.png
The Kulrathi really liked me, even if I'm a repulsive tranny. I think that is what makes them tick! They want a trade
agreement, me too!
22_3_LetsTrade.png
Found an old mine on my new colony. I need some troops to check it.
22_4_NiceAMine.png
Deploying.
22_5_TroopsOnAMine.png
Thank God I deployed 4 of them, kill kill kill.
22_6_DIEDIEDIE.png
It now gives me 2 production points, nice.
22_7_NiceMine.png
Just found another good planet, even better than the one I just colonized, let's check it.
22_8_OhAnotherGoodPlanet.png
Damn, it's a pirate base, retreat, retreat!
22_9_DamnPirateBase.png
Now, what should I do?
Exterminate the Opteris or get rid of the pirates?

tiagocc0

Arcane
Just updated StarDrive:

Added new "Colony Shield" building with 50 shield hit points
Added indicator to planet selector for shield strength
Improved the defensive coordinator AI to be more reactive to threats and to be smarter about its force distributions'
Fixed an issue where ships on auto-defense would not resupply during combat if they had to
Changed shipyard resupply to work during combat; however shipyard repair will only function out of combat
Fixed an issue where carriers would not respawn their fighters after the fighters were destroyed
Added a new Fighter-Only combat engine that is incapable of warp speeds but has great thrust
Made "Slow Combat" the vanilla combat
Changed First level shield to 2000hp from 2500hp due to lower DPS of slow combat
Changed Warp Speed calculations to only use the "WarpThrust" characteristic of an engine module; previously it was WarpThrust + BasicThrust; I did this so we could have engines that provide 0 warp thrust.
Increased WarpThrust across the board for warp engines by about 2x
Added a new "Pack Mentality" racial trait and assigned it to the Vulfar. Pack Mentality grants a -25% penalty to weapons damage, but a +5% bonus (up to 50%) for each friendly nearby ship
Added a new Toggle button to carrier orders to toggle whether the ship must recall all fighters before warping. Defaults to on.
More freighter AI enhancements - they are better at coordinating their actions now. previously they would look for a new route only if there was a freighter with goods in its hold on the same route; now, it also looks for freighters who are moving to pick up goods for that same route as well. Ultimately it is much more efficient
Fixed an issue where Point Defense weapons would sometimes prioritize a nearby ship over an incoming missile
Added bonus damage for Point Defense weapons versus missile weapons
Added a new Salvo mechanic for weapons. Rather than firing at fixed intervals, we can now have rapid fire over a fixed interval followed by a reload speed. Various weapons are receiving tweaks for fun and variety.
Buffed boarding defense effective attack value from 35 to 60
Added performance enhancements to improve late game frame rates by 25%+
Added Flechette Anti-Fighter turret (Rapid-fire, short-ranged shotgun; ineffective vs armor & shields)
Added Effect VS armor modifier for weapons
Added Effect VS Shields modifier for weapons
Fixed the DPS readout in the ship design screen to reflect salvos and spreadshots more accurately
Added many new Draylok and Opteris ship designs
Changed the AI to know about ships that have no Warp Thrust; they will assign these guys to defense only
Changed AI to build the highest tech ships that they can at all times
Changed the Kulrathi Razor hull to have 2 more E slots
Added new Kulrathi fighter and frigate designs

tiagocc0

Arcane

Destroid

Arcane
Star Wars Rebellion gets around that by having shields you can build on planet that make it pretty much invulnerable to anything but the death star. The only other ways to get around them are a ground invasion or by sabotaging the shields using missions (spies).

tiagocc0

Arcane
Yep, on the update news they mention a new colony shield.
I have to start building tons of ships and exterminating other races to see how it goes.

tiagocc0

Arcane
So I retreated, escaping from the pirates.
My flagship disobeyed me and I had to click for it to run away a second time, because of this it took a lot of fire but managed to survive.
1_RetreatingFromPirates.png
I set to build more heavy fighters and troops hoping to attack the pirates later, that planet is too good to let it pass. Then..
2_Ops.png

tiagocc0

Arcane
It seems all crash reports like this always show D:\Users\Cyberlawyer\Desktop\StarDrive\.. because it creates a virtual environment. That's what they said in the forum.
http://www.stardrivegame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=940

I was particularly doing nothing, I was just moving around in the map when it happened so it seems my crash report didn't really helped much.

People there actually liked what I wrote:
http://www.stardrivegame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=926

But I don't know if Zero (The developer) will consider it since most would require a change in their UI design and he's probably a lot more interested in squashing bugs right now.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Yeap.
I went there expecting a fight, :x
But..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom