Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Lets play the best Storyfag RPG of all time: Betrayal at Krondor!

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
peek into the mine, don't step on any mines

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Combat should be experienced while listening to the soundtrack. Unfortunately this is the only version I could find in Soundblaster, which is the superior version imo.

I'd have to replay the game to be sure, but I also recall Owyn being described as a shepherd or maybe even posing as one as his cover story. Eventually it becomes quite clear that he's the opposite, a nobleman's son, but you're not entirely in the wrong that it's mentioned at some point.

Anyhow, this is probably my favorite game of all time. The writing is superb; combat is engaging and deadly (especially if you don't min-max your skills, which is neither necessary or recommended imo) and I even like their take on traps happening within the combat system; exploration is rewarding and not procedurally-generated crap. I wish we'd kept puzzles as the de facto means of opening locked chests in games.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, the audio in this game is great. Conversations seem to have their own soundracks. There's clanking sound as soon as I entered the mine, etc.

Today we explore the mines!

We're in!
i-G8xd23N-M.png

Its dark inside.

i-VhF5KQS-M.png

We double click on a torch in Owyn's inventory. It changes to lit state.

i-zsfwrQf-M.png

And suddenly we can see!

i-9rXSPPj-M.png

After we advance forward a few steps, another cut scene triggers. If someone can tell me what was bouncing down the wall - I'd be interested to know.

i-SbtbQFk-M.png

Apparently it was thrown by a dwarf.

i-NFSThk2-M.png

Locklear feigns ignorance?

i-8C29TT7-M.png

For some reason Dwarves have quite the accent.

i-CSvsGgQ-M.png

Is this a continuity failure or is Locky trying to get a better price on the reward? We literally just heard about Brak Nurr in La Mut.

i-sJ4tgzk-M.png

Sounds like the mines are quite deep.

i-2WHfTGK-M.png

I think Locklear is attempting to show Owyn levels of intelligence on purpose.

i-ppdC2N6-M.png

Kobolds and Dragons are always a thing, aren't they? I don't like this mention of a "clutch" of Brak Nurr though.

i-XhR7ccT-M.png

And 30+ dead dwarves don't sound too good either.

i-GtVs7Bv-M.png

Lets follow up on Brak Nurr.

i-j7wcNqM-M.png

This would be helpful info...

i-jv466Hz-M.png

Sounds like an earth elemental alright.

i-Wp6fLB2-M.png

Naddur gives us head up that there will be more than just Brak Nurr to fight down here.

i-Tm3nV5R-M.png

That bit gives Locky the idea to start praying...

i-d2sFVfR-M.png

Assassins after you, a mine full of Earth Elementals and bravos trying to stop us from killing them - yeah, divine help might become necessary.

i-7tzRQxq-M.png

Kilian is the goddess of the Foresters. Ishap is the creator of all gods and is the god of Balance.

i-XVZGVMS-M.png

This option is here because we discussed Armor repair with Sumani.

i-vVMnLF3-M.png

We're actually pretty good right now as we still use basic armor and decent quality pieces drop all the time. More of a problem when we find half broken version of better armor.

i-JKmHk4T-M.png

Naddur lets us know about a repair shop.

i-tzfrnXQ-M.png

Locklear has repairing on his mind.

i-kXp3KMG-M.png

Sword quality is also not actually a problem just yet. But it doesn't hurt to know what can be done and where.

i-Tt6WvSH-M.png

Sometimes games make me feel like an ass...

i-zXXL2tt-M.png

Locky keeps pushing...

i-8FkGRmm-M.png

I guess persistence pays off.

i-bx448br-M.png

As Naddur thinks of a win-win solution.

i-pPsHmWX-M.png

We promise not to bother any other dwarves in the mine about repairing our stuff.

i-8dx32Rw-M.png

We can afford it, but we don't currently have that skill in focus. Also I'm not sure its that great of an investment at the moment as we're trying to save up for Sumani's training.
I'll ask Codex to vote on this one once we've killed Brak Nurr and earned the reward.

i-VxMS9fh-M.png

Locky acts like some ladies I've dated.

i-pCpHpPK-M.png

No skin off Naddur's back.

i-jpSd8vF-M.png

We say our goodbyes.

i-4d27hPv-M.png

i-JK7CXcw-M.png

i-Z69BRmW-M.png

Ok, so we proceed down the corridor - and eventually reach a 3 way fork.

i-84q8HzB-M.png

I tend to go to the right in mazes like this, then when there's no more right, to the center, then the left, etc.

i-rkNQb4d-M.png

The right path ends in a dead end though.

i-nHn8DH2-M.png

So we go down the central path instead.

i-phnNqJd-M.png

Eventually there's another fork. Just 2 way this time. We turn right.

i-gFP8W6V-M.png

There's an opening ahead, and some enemies!

i-tRLdxgg-M.png

Our attempt to sneak up on the opposition fails again. This type of Hunter god appears in a lot of pantheons it seems.

i-QkZTPc2-M.png

Before we can do anything, one of them charges Owyn and hits him for 15 damage!

i-bhsMDHG-M.png

Owyn defends to prevent further damage. Locklear sees that he's likely to hit Owyn's enemy. Right after this screen - he does - for 14 damage.

i-LHc24Cf-M.png

The other enemy skips attacking Gorath and goes after Locky for some reason. Gorath goes for Owyn's attacker instead.

i-fHFqNdr-M.png

Its a hit! For 21.

i-V8pX8F3-M.png

I decide to get Owyn out of there so that he can cast, or better yet - rest up as the fighters finish the job. Seeing as the guy hit twice is likely going to be less efficient now. Locky goes after the second guy.

i-z4pnwcL-M.png

Its a hit for 13.

i-xN4btb6-M.png

First guy chases Owyn but doesn't quite catch up. Gorath goes after him, its a hit for 22. That guy goes down.

i-W4ks6r7-M.png

Owyn rests. It has no effect - I guess the resting button only heals you to the same amount that resting in the wilderness does.

i-gB55TmN-M.png

Locky hits his guy for 13 again.

i-c5Pv2Sv-M.png

He is attacked and missed. Gorath tries to finish the enemy, but misses his target as well.

i-rwQhLvt-M.png

Next we have a round of everyone missing each other. Then a round where he parries everyone and hits Locky for 11.
Finally Gorath finishes the job with a hit for 19.

i-TQVxwjd-M.png

Now the enemies are just loot bags.

i-jT3qwQR-M.png

Ooo, a new weapon.

i-WMkfSQh-M.png

A weapon who's whole description is how much it sucks?

i-3CZJKcN-M.png

It does more damage than the Broadsword is but is less accurate. That being said - its made for an elf and the Broadsword is not. So the fact that Gorath is an elf means that he was taking a 5% penalty on the 10% bonus to hit - meaning he should be just as good at hitting with thrusts with this weapon as he is with a Broadsword! Also the Swing damage is quite high.

i-v9LcPCF-M.png

We give it to Gorath. Locky retains the Broadsword.

i-nVHq3mM-M.png

Huh, the second guy had the same sword.

i-QvGNV4M-M.png

And higher quality armor. Owyn gets that one.

i-7bjmQW5-M.png

Here's our health status after that fight.

i-BzJghcS-M.png

We proceed and eventually reach a large room with a chest.

i-S5cpZLz-M.png

It's locked. I recall from earlier playthrough that there are very nasty trapped chests in the mines. Perhaps meant for when the party comes back here in a later chapter. So I click no for now.

i-qh9B4gq-M.png

How do we deal with possibly trapped chests? Well lets look at Owyn's out of combat magic. The first school has a spell for indoor illumination. Its cheaper to use torches, but if you run out...

i-2x9Z64B-M.png

Aha, this should help.

i-MGXnz6q-M.png

Useful stuff.

i-bkWNTz3-M.png

Notice the red icon on top - that tells us when the spell is in effect. When that icon is gone - we know it wore off.

i-4P8j7G6-M.png

The way the spell works is fascinating...

i-8wpFdVx-M.png

Naptha is extremely flammable... And this spell... we'll I don't think I've heard of anything that gives you historic visions about objects before. Some cool Divination for sure.

i-gJp7cjr-M.png

So we click no since Locky's lock-picking skill is below average, but for education's purposes I'll show what happens if you try to disarm it. There's a flash animation on the box...

i-gBG8gZB-M.png

And Owyn runs out of hitpoints and is put into a Near-Death state. Its extremely difficult to heal out of that state and it makes it very difficult to get hitpoints back. Owyn would basically be stuck at like 1-2 hp for a month unless we pay a heap of gold at the nearest temple. So we'll be using that spell from now on - I had forgotten how deadly the traps can be. We're definitely out of tutorial mode here. Think Locky gets left with 4 hitpoints too - so I guess the damned trap does 85 damage.

i-pDNhj9r-M.png

So back to us being smart - notice Owyn's health is now in red after casting the spell. That means he's below the threshold where wilderness and in-combat resting will heal him.

i-6Z6WXbQ-M.png

This is where the box was - there's nothing else in this room, so we have to head back.

i-mPjX7Hw-M.png

As we reach another 2 way fork...

i-RQnxjgL-M.png

We see a chest right in front of us.

i-Hdvhv5G-M.png

The spell is still in effect... And this time it seems to work the way I would have expected it to work.

i-S8T7Q87-M.png

Its safe. Much better.

i-pb22sNv-M.png

There's a lock, but Locky picks it. Not sure why these two piles were separated.

i-MB4wtvV-M.png

We look to the right from the fork - seem clear.

i-2C9vR97-M.png

The left, however does not...

i-hxjhLKR-M.png

We try to sneak up and fail again. Before we can move, we're charged and a quarrel flies towards and misses Locky. The guy that charged Owyn got within a diagonal so Owyn couldn't cast. In retrospect I should have probably retreated here - I though I was getting into a fight with 3 instead of 4.
There was a guy (currently surrounded by Locky and Owyn) that had yellow pants - think that means he's a spell caster. I charged him with Owyn to prevent his casting as well. Owyn missed. Locky did not. Hit for 21 damage!

i-9Nmss3d-M.png

Gorath followed up with 33!

i-3sjhKTJ-M.png

Enemies attacked Owyn and Gorath, missed both. Owyn defended. Locky attacked the guy we piled up on - 22 dmg, that guy dies. I decide to try a Gorath swing at the guy attacking Owyn since the potential damage is so high.

i-GRTcckM-M.png

Its a hit! But only 30. Seems like that guy has good armor and defense.

i-r92Nf75-M.png

Owyn parries an attack, second guy misses Gorath.

i-XwMB8cK-M.png

Since Owyn's staff is so poor at doing Thrust damage and Owyn just parried I decide to try a swing.

i-BfD8Rbn-M.png

Unfortunately its a miss.

i-zJ57hJN-M.png

Locky charges the archer that never fired the second quarrel for whatever reason. Hits him for 13.

i-4PJtf5N-M.png

Gorath thrusts at Owyn's attacker - but misses.

i-nW8xVDf-M.png

Owyn is missed, but Gorath is hit for 12 with a swing!
Locklear is missed and Owyn defends. Locky thrusts his guy for 13 again.

i-ZRbcRLq-M.png

Gorath thrusts at Owyn's attacker again. Miss once again.

i-nW8xVDf-M.png

Enemies attack Gorath and Locklear, miss both. Owyn defends again.
Locklear hits his guy for 13 for the 3rd time.

i-mLjbRxR-M.png

Gorath finally hits Owyn's attacker. 22 damage - he goes down.

i-Nj6TfVN-M.png

Owyn rests. His sta goes for 24 to 26.
Locklear is parried. Gorath is parried and struck back for 11. Perhaps this defending and counter attacking strategy is better than I remember.

i-FJ2v475-M.png

Owyn decides to blind Locky's opponent.

i-fV4Xd36-M.png

Locky suspects that his opponent is now a worse defender and takes a swing. It's a hit - for 17.

i-zbdf6Nr-M.png

Gorath thrusts for 22. The difference between our two fighters is stark. One hits like a truck but misses a lot. The other chips away.

i-dgbw2S8-M.png

Owyn rests. Locklear thrusts and misses. Worried that the enemy might run away due to low health - Gorath switches targets and finishes Locklear's opponent with a hit for 22 damage.
Owyn is attacked by Gorath's previous opponent, but is missed. Locklear attacks and takes a strange path to the enemy, its a hit for 14.

i-fSSKXWN-M.png

And Gorath finishes that guy with a hit for 24.

i-Wg8txmM-M.png

Yeah... perhaps we did bite off more than we should have.

i-cVQVw4w-M.png

In fact we're not really all that much more hurt than we were before the fight.

i-cc6Ff8N-M.png

Time to loot the bodies.

i-ksjBDbp-M.png

Here's the description of the gold coins.

i-gcqLskh-M.png

Ah, this must have been the archer.

i-K6xVNk7-M.png

Now we can finally inspect the crossbow's actual performance.

i-G6SH9k4-M.png

And that of quarrels. Looks like the base dmg for both together is measly 10. Locky gets both.

i-NM2Wcc8-M.png

This is yet another key that can open a locked chest once in a blue moon if your skill is not high enough.

i-CMfZX8k-M.png

This must have been the mage. Think the armor quality is the reason we were hitting him for more than what the display values were predicting.

i-6NJdbnX-M.png

This thing can make our sword temporarily do a lot more damage, it also sells well. I give it to Locky.

i-FnhmGqd-M.png

Last guy has nothing new.

i-3W2PS7C-M.png

We have a space for another amor set on Locky and only spaces for a single sword on both Owyn and Gorath. We might have to start leaving stuff on the bodies/chests if we do not find Brak Nurr soon!

[/spoler]

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lets continue exploring the mines!

Since my way of exploring mazes involves taking the right hand turn every time until all paths are exhausted - we u-turn from the bodies of our enemies and proceed in the other direction.

i-zTFSGcz-M.png

Eventually we reach another 2 way fork. With yet another chest right there.

i-dWZGkBb-M.png

The chest is unlocked but does not have much. Still - those healing packs will be helpful if someone gets seriously hurt.

i-wttQ2k7-M.png

We turn to the right at the fork and proceed. Eventually there's another 2 way fork - we keep going straight.

i-3bBm8Wx-M.png

Here is our current location on the map.

i-vcq8DJp-M.png

As we proceed further, the light starts to dim. Looks like the torch is finally going out.

i-PrkrdtN-M.png

Recalling that Owyn is slight hurt anyway - we decide to take a short rest before lighting up another torch and proceeding.

i-w92mqnr-M.png

Two hours were enough to top off Owyn.

i-DZhzJZc-M.png

Eventually we arrive at a door.

i-zWv7QRR-M.png

It opens with an animation. And we see some enemies behind it.

i-5Dk9RBZ-M.png

Our attempt to sneak up on them fails once again - but this time the fight start description is different. Could these guys be the real bravos trying to slay Brak Nurr?

i-czsN9xv-M.png

Locklear is charged and missed. A Crossbowman fires and misses Owyn.

i-WzP4KGf-M.png

Owyn blinds Locklear's attacker.

i-GDTR9mM-M.png

And Locklear strikes him for 13.

i-qRwRKGQ-M.png

3rd guy is also an archer. He fires at Owyn and misses.

i-DD6zFpJ-M.png

Gorath misses the first archer. And is missed by him in turn.

i-4cWqGhM-M.png

Owyn blinds the second archer.

i-dg2gQm3-M.png

Locky hits his guy for 13 again.

i-Zp4WTLK-M.png

Gorath misses again. His attacker does not retaliate - must be defending.

i-LKfDtxK-M.png

Owyn rests. Locky misses his guy this time.

i-g32GKGK-M.png

I decide to charge the second guy with Gorath since the guy he was attacking previously is attempting to parry. But he misses again.

i-5frgLPn-M.png

Owyn blinds the guy Gorath was attacking previously.

i-Z6NVQGD-M.png

Locklear is parried.

i-V5CWq5b-M.png

2nd archer ignores the giant elf attacking him and charges our mage! Gorath chases and misses. So far a grand total of 26 damage have been done by either side in this fight.

i-6HGjpBr-M.png

Owyn rests. I should have blinded the guy charging him instead though. Locky misses AGAIN.

i-FGjdbKk-M.png

Owyn is charged again and missed. Gorath misses Owyn's attacker.

i-PLgMXTP-M.png

Locklear is missed by his enemy. Owyn decides to swing at his attacker. Misses. Locky finally hits his guy for 13 again. Then Owyn is hit by a swing! For 17 damage. Suddenly his Sta is super low!

i-jFTTqLL-M.png

Gorath misses AGAIN. He has hit 0 times.

i-VrwCsZT-M.png

Owyn defends. Locklear misses.

i-4Gd7DK4-M.png

Owyn parries and Locklear is missed. Gorath misses once again.

i-Qhc94bL-M.png

1st archer comes over and misses him. Owyn defends.

Locklear hits his guy for 14. Owyn's attacker strikes him THROUGH his block! For 14 damage. Gorath FINALLY hits Owyn's attacker - for 19. But is hit by his attacker for 12.

Locklear is missed.

i-KVsNXZW-M.png

Owyn runs for it. He's about to start losing stats and can only take one more hit before being at risk.

i-g3d5RhZ-M.png

Locky misses.

i-mHwrTwT-M.png

Owyn's attacker chases, but does not get close enough. Gorath goes after. Misses. Is missed in turn by the guy chasing him. Locky is missed as well.
Owyn blinds the guy chasing him.

Locky misses again. Gorath misses. Both non-blinded enemies miss.

Owyn rests.

Locky misses. Gorath HITS Owyn's chaser for 19. It appears blind DOES help our guys hit the blinded targets.

Owyn blinds his attacker again. Locky hits his nemesis THROUGH block for 15. That guy finally goes down.

Gorath hits Owyn's attacker for 21. That enemy goes down.

i-vFt6x5n-M.png

Owyn rests. Locky misses the last guy. While double checking focused skills I notice Gorath's melee accuracy has gone up.

i-2cSRS8N-M.png

Despite this... Gorath misses. Gets swung at, but missed as well.

Owyn rests.

Locky hits for 13. Gorath for 21. Owyn rests.

Locky hits again - for 14. Enemy goes down.

i-SwBxVhF-M.png

Whew... what a battle. Here's our health status.

i-qw3kJqd-M.png

We notice there's a chest behind the enemies.

i-HDddZxk-M.png

First guy has a new type of armor.

i-4vJdcjD-M.png

His rations are SPOILED! We do not take them. We have to watch out for those - always check rations!

i-cMCBnCw-M.png

Fancy stuff.

i-bKbvKL7-M.png

Its significantly better than the standard kingdom variety. Since its made for an elf - Gorath gets it.

i-ZrRVMzt-M.png

2nd guy's stuff.

i-3NJdNZQ-M.png

And 3rd. His rations are spoiled too.

i-shwjKhX-M.png

The chest is safe. And is picked. I screwed up the screenshots for stuff inside, but it was more basic armor and sword.

i-zJSF8N2-M.png

Yay for a skill up.

i-XnfXKmk-M.png

This room is a dead end. Here's our current location.

i-7CZfp6v-M.png

So what should we do? Owyn is quite hurt and will need to heal. If we do that the torch will go out. We're also completely out of inventory space and most of the corpses from this batch still have their stuff. This battle showed us that we're a bit underskilled to be fighting here. Locklear had hit rate of 47% that fight and Gorath had hit rate of 36%. Their chances were even lower when enemies were not blinded. We can afford Sumani's training now and could definitely use a visit to the shop in order to sell.

So lets vote:

A. Rest here and continue exploring.
B. Go back to LaMut to sell and get training.

If choosing B please also vote now on whether we should also train Weaponcraft with the guy at the cave entrance on our way back IF we have 50 gold left over.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's still 2020 as I'm writing this, but it will be 2021 by the time I finish - so Happy New Year everyone. Lets hope its a better one.

Last we left off - we decided to go back to town to sell the stuff we looted, as well as to train.

So we head back out.

i-VKRwM7B-M.png

I just love how everything has these little descriptions.

i-HLFdwZq-M.png

Of course it turns out its not actually Daylight outside at the moment - its night. However our torch is still on so we can see.

i-wQwQx44-M.png

The torch goes out shortly after - but its close enough to morning. We sell everything at the store and are up to 158 gold. Note that not all stores buy all items. For example this store does not want the expensive Lamprey :(

i-FcdzfFm-M.png

Owyn was haggling on everything before selling it so his skill went up, everyone else's did too - guess they learned from Owyn's failures. I did notice that after selling the item after haggling it down when trying to purchase it right before it... might have actually caused me to get LESS money for it. Oooops. Will have to double check later.

i-sM9mdRr-M.png

So we go back to Sumani and notice a new topic of conversation.

i-TLFfjkL-M.png

Ah, its a way to get info on that other side quest!

i-5tbXFJr-M.png

Yup, definitely Ronin.

i-wQ2dk6C-M.png

I guess I don't quite get how their freedom is taken away though. Freedom to NOT live off the land I guess?

i-2qLDwB5-M.png

Now we see Locky's idea.

i-Vm47dr4-M.png

Looks like Sumani isn't a Gray Warrior despite my earlier understanding of his status. He also starts dropping the crumbs to the next point in the quest.

i-fnCwjH6-M.png

Loriel is a town to the south east. I'll give the option to head in that direction next time we hit the crossroads.

i-9QWhzMm-M.png

Locky gets another idea.

i-t27K5Ks-M.png

i-h683DXh-M.png

Apparently Gray Warriors are so desperate they don't fear the wizards.

i-NSfm64j-M.png

Foreboding...

i-T6H52FP-M.png

Anyway - we came here to train. So we focus all our skill learning on Defense and agree to the price.

i-rJBPJq3-M.png

Sumani makes us sign some legal stuff to make sure its harder to sue him if he cuts any limbs off.

i-ZhbhtWB-M.png

So Japanese...

i-tBZMZQn-M.png

Its on...

i-ZQqkR3J-M.png

We don't get any battle with the guy. The game just tells us he kicks our ass.

i-qHhZwVj-M.png

Once we come out we learn that our money paid for something...

i-5Gq5NKg-M.png

Everyone gets 5% skill improvement in melee and 7.5% in Defense since that was our skill focus set up. If we picked both they'd both get 6.25% instead.

i-gn54gnv-M.png

i-bbk59QF-M.png

i-WWggT4v-M.png

We have 84 gold left. Enough to get Weaponcraft training as well!

i-HM3LkZ3-M.png

We head back to Naddur and agree to the price.

i-vhGFNjf-M.png

Like he says - we'll need a Whetstone to actually repair any blades.

i-RvmsbMP-M.png

I wonder if the advice is actually sound - probably the authors did some research.

i-2dJfKkD-M.png

Naddur is a dwarf with things to do...

i-7p8vVNK-M.png

Because we focused on Weaponcrafting exclusively. We get 15% bonus for everyone on the team.

i-vQ3VxkR-M.png

i-G2JWQCc-M.png

i-rHM3r5q-M.png

We keep moving until this pops up, shortly after. Looks like we can just go through the night with the help of torches. Oh yeah - we never healed after that last fight and Owyn was very hurt.

i-HfZhdH9-M.png

I activate the healing pack on him.

i-97HksB5-M.png

This gives him the healing status.

i-dm4d7gT-M.png

And he gets to full wilderness rest health quite quickly.

i-TSxz33X-M.png

In fact he's still has the healing status.

i-b7ZhFDm-M.png

Unfortunately the rest burned out our last torch, so we have to light another one. Just 2 left. We better make them count.

i-cDsBZFx-M.png

We get back to the room where we left 4 dead dudes with some equipment but they're GONE! Fortunately I put some of their stuff in that chest.

i-VPZpPsW-M.png

Picking that chest led to another lockpicking increase.

i-C33fHzZ-M.png

Its still quite low however.

i-825SHsr-M.png

We head back to the last fork and head in the other direction this time.

i-Df5pLsh-M.png

And eventually arrive at a room with bunch of enemies and a chest.

i-CGxL76v-M.png

Our stealth check is finally passed. I don't know how - since we have a torch on...

i-X7bR6Dr-M.png

4 guys again. Lets hope our improved fighting skills are up to the task.

i-sRRf2k6-M.png

Owyn blinds the enemy closes to Gorath.

i-RVSgG5r-M.png

Locky charges the guy in front of him. Hits for 13.

i-KJNZ643-M.png

Gorath misses the blind guy...

i-2swqKHG-M.png

Locklear gets attacked by 2, one misses - other hits for 12. Owyn blinds one of Locky's attackers.

i-CgDtxfN-M.png

Locky hits the blind guy for 13.

i-bbnHcsN-M.png

Gorath swings and misses.

i-H69sNLn-M.png

Owyn re-blinds the guy Gorath is attacking. Guy in the corner is yet to move.

i-9mDXSTh-M.png

Locky tries to hit the guy Owyn just blinded in front of him, but misses.

i-kzpdkXB-M.png

Gorath swings at the guy Owyn blinded a turn ago. Hits! 29 damage.

i-J8MBGjC-M.png

Right after that he's charged by the guy in the corner and hit for 13. Owyn is charged by the guy Gorath just hit. Owyn can't cast anymore!
Owyn swings at him, but misses.

i-3pb9z3C-M.png

Locky hits the enemy on his left for 14.

i-L9KD4P4-M.png

Gorath charges Owyn's attacker. Hits for 21.

i-kN9ctjh-M.png

Enemy on Locky's right swings at misses at him.
Owyn swings again and misses.

i-jqSbjTm-M.png

Locky hits the guy on his left for 14 again. Somehow that guy is still up. These enemies are hp sponges compared to earlier fights.

i-Jphsxz4-M.png

Gorath thrusts and misses Owyn's opponent. Everyone on our side gets attacked. Only Locky gets hit - for 13!
While checking Owyn's skill focuses since he's now attacking I notice his defense went up.

i-2dB7NhR-M.png

Owyn swings at and hits his opponent THROUGH block. 12 damage - he's still up!

Locky is down to 5 stamina. Attacks the guy on the left again. Hits for 15 - that guy finally dies.

i-mKSCFfj-M.png

Gorath follows it up with a 24 dmg hit on Owyn's attacker. That guy goes down.

i-Fnpschv-M.png

The guy who previously was attacking Gorath is smart and charges Owyn. He misses however. Owyn swings back at him, but misses as well.

i-fdVCv7j-M.png

Locky attacks his opponent but is parried.

i-3M2Nzk9-M.png

Gorath swings at Owyn's attacker and hits for 30!

i-Dmm4hVP-M.png

Locky is hit for 11. I retreat with Owyn in attempt to gain the ability to blind Locky's attacker. Locky is below max health so his stats are lower. Still hits his guy - 12 dmg.

i-tj2S3QG-M.png

Gorath misses his thrust. His target chases Owyn!

i-Mhhxqhq-M.png

Locklear is missed. Not being able to shake his attacker - Owyn thrusts at the guy charging him. Hits for 4 dmg.

i-9rLgBks-M.png

Locky misses his opponent.

i-7LfsxmD-M.png

Gorath goes after Locky's attacker. Misses as well.

i-q8JxCgR-M.png

Owyn and Locky are missed by their opponents. Owyn swings and misses.

i-8Nzj9VT-M.png

Locky misses with a thrust.

i-LHH8xkK-M.png

Gorath does the same.

i-q8JxCgR-M.png

Enemies miss Owyn but hit Locky for 13! Owyn charges the guy trying to finish off Locky and hits for 4.

i-q6TCQBx-M.png

Gorath misses him however.

i-6tqVL7C-M.png

Locky is down to 36 hitpoints and is forced to use restoratives.

i-fwrmTPn-M.png

We get this menu after first use that lets us keep popping them.

i-fdtVRkB-M.png

We take another 2 gulps to get to above max health.

i-xwJd6Xf-M.png

Owyn is hit for 8. Locky is missed. Thinking the guy that just hit him must have low hp to do that little damage - Owyn swings at him. Misses.

i-tHCDP5p-M.png

Locky misses his attacker.

i-xQD7Vg6-M.png

But Gorath hits - 22 dmg. Surprised that guy is still up. thinking that guy must be almost out of hitpoints - Owyn thrusts at him. Hits for 4 dmg but he's still up.

i-WZ8jJNP-M.png

Locklear hits him for 14 however and that guy finally goes down.

i-JX8sqMz-M.png

Gorath charges and misses last guy.

i-VdMV4xw-M.png

That guy misses Owyn in turn. Owyn swings and misses. But Locky hits for 15 and that guy finally goes down.

i-FTJsLSZ-M.png

Looks like Locky got even better at hitting enemies.

i-m9CGCpB-M.png

Health status after last fight. We have a torch shortage - so this is trouble.

i-KmW5PGp-M.png

Time to loot.

i-7XcKc7X-M.png

Ah, the fabled whetstone - new ones have 20 charges, this one has 1.

i-tpM8mGR-M.png

More stuff...

i-TKfDcjK-M.png

Just one use. But this one makes sword hit much harder. The blue stone we got earlier was actually an armor enhancement - this is a weapon one. Tith is the god of war.

i-8gf9BKS-M.png

Another Lamprey. We need to find a place that buys them.

i-qSvZ4VL-M.png

The box was clicked on by accident while looting.

i-8tkcRTn-M.png

Ah, this one is no longer easy. Time for Codex to shine.

i-NftTgXn-M.png

As I said each letter has 4 possibilities:

E T R I O S
R S W L N W
O A O H D G
B U T R T E

So codex, what is the answer?

Until codex helps - our heroes are stumped:

i-tRSj5Zt-M.png

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Impressive. I'd never have gotten that. Haven't heard of barrow being used without the wheel portion.

Well, lets look at what happens next for our heroes.

We put in the wisdom of the codex and the lock opens.

i-QrGGVB7-M.png

A lot of new stuff in this chest. One wonders how the dark elves got their chests inside the Dwarven mines however. Perhaps it was brought in by these rogues instead.

i-qcGMsxc-M.png

Nothing but Armor, Swords/Staves and Crossbows are wearable. So this ring has to be kept in the inventory. When you activate it - it acts like a lit torch, but I'm pretty sure it sells for a lot more.

i-JFgvRdc-M.png

Some dungeons have pits. Each time you want to get across you use a single charge of the rope.

i-W8M87Bd-M.png

Gives a large temporary boost to defense.

i-qBMgD48-M.png

Locky got messed up last fight, and Owyn still has the healing status. So we give it to Locky as well and rest. We're back to full health in half a day. That uses up another charge of the torch, leaving us with 1. But we have that ring now.

i-JVdFCM4-M.png

We double back and head left we did not take previously.

i-ZxkM4fj-M.png

Eventually the path opens into a room. Aha! That looks like the beastie we're looking for.

i-4Vw7Hf4-M.png

Looks like we failed our stealth check again.

i-P9CvPhn-M.png

Nasty looking monster for sure. But it's initiative is lower then Owyn's...

i-Tg2WhLK-M.png

This highlights the issue with game's balance - there are no saves against magic - its win initiative or die for single monsters. No matter how badass. Brak Nurr is blinded.

i-hfktwKg-M.png

Locky misses it however.

i-KkhcDbT-M.png

And so does Gorath. Perhaps this will be difficult after all. How do you miss a giant rock thing that's blind?

i-wKvpKc8-M.png

Owyn rests. Locky misses again.

i-xhrQKW4-M.png

Finally a hit! 24 dmg from Gorath.

i-27TmZrT-M.png

Owyn blinds the creature again. You don't want to let it have a chance at hitting one of your guys - it hits like a truck.

i-99fFzc9-M.png

Locky hits for 15.

i-cPszfMv-M.png

Gorath hits for 24 again.

i-fCHMRNL-M.png

Owyn rests. Locky hits for 15 again.

i-RTwMf95-M.png

Gorath hits for another 24. We've now done 102 damage to it and its still standing.

i-nJttG5P-M.png

Another blind from Owyn.

i-CcC4qjq-M.png

Locky misses this time.

i-7vKCFTq-M.png

But Gorath hits for 24.

i-R9wRR6Z-M.png

Owyn rests. Locky misses again. Strangely Gorath seems to be a lot better at hitting this thing despite having significantly worse accuracy skill.

i-VcgvSCG-M.png

Just as I say that, Gorath misses too.

i-bDNPDQH-M.png

Owyn blinds it again.

i-hhPfjdb-M.png

Locky hits this time. For 16 - enemy must be close to duying.

i-pWHMGHT-M.png

Gorath hits it for 26 and that finishes it off!

i-v43rnW5-M.png

We have slain the Brak Nurr!

i-3v7RvNZ-M.png

And turns out we don't even have to go to the entrance for the reward!

i-3F2DmDz-M.png

Locky must have gotten tired swinging at a blind rock for so long.

i-6NvnR6K-M.png

Think gold works the same way those magic sprays do on soccer injuries.

i-98kcdk6-M.png

We have completed our first side quest. Congratulations everyone!

i-kLxFKPp-M.png

Looks like there's also a chest in this room.

i-gKnbFpV-M.png

Brak Nurr does not carry gems or whatever, but we can see our new gold in the total!

i-F7qLHnW-M.png

Before we deal with the chest we notice a dead body in this room, must be one of the unlucky bravos...

i-zSKK5WZ-M.png

Did Brak Nurr eat his arms and armor? Either way - the torch is welcome.

i-NKWsLD2-M.png

The food however is not...

i-5SsmGNk-M.png

We cast trap detection and deal with the chest. Turns out its not trapped.

i-gdPXcD9-M.png

But Locky can't pick the locky...

i-qcxqBWw-M.png

Last thing to try is those special keys we've found. And the Peasant key works!

i-9TN44Bq-M.png

Nothing new here. But restoratives are great since Locky spent some.

i-JcN3kX4-M.png

There appears to be a hallway on the other side of the room. We head that way.

i-9TF2r3M-M.png

But before we get too far we run into another angry Dwarf...

i-b3bK8HV-M.png

Looks like we can't proceed. Perhaps things will change in the future.

i-HPSzpv7-M.png

We double back with another fork and take the left side path.

i-4drpPHt-M.png

It leads to a door...

i-4XRPgM9-M.png

But there's nothing...

i-XXH53mN-M.png

In the room beyond.

i-2JjbK3C-M.png

Just one last branch we skipped previously.

i-HSTK6ft-M.png

It leads to a door as well.

i-kjqqw9M-M.png

This one is locked!

i-BfMWSx4-M.png

Huh! First time seeing that kind of lock. Well... Don't have much hope of Locky picking this one - but we have to try.

i-77NCNBn-M.png

Oh no! We're down to one lockpick.

i-b7vJw3c-M.png

Lets try that Guilder's key. It worked!

i-4H82rXt-M.png

The room beyond is big and has columns.

i-4H82rXt-M.png

We see a chest in the distance.

i-WVS8k7M-M.png

Another puzzle lock!

i-RRW6BRS-M.png

The letters are:

B R E E L
S H A V E
A L L S T
W I O L D

While Codex ponders that one, I find a side room.

i-wFwnKLv-M.png

Which holds another chest.

i-GBWFVqt-M.png

Its another puzzle chest!

i-rkkLsfW-M.png

The letters are:

T R A K
B I U P
D L C M
E O T H

Once you guys offer suggestions on the chest clues - there's also the question of what to do after as there is nothing more to explore in the mines and our packs cannot fit any more armor or swords.
Do we head back to sell stuff at La Mut again, or proceed to Zun and hope the have a shop there?

i-6MpbL2h-M.png

Citizen

Use dosbox's internal screenshot tool, it saves the uncompressed image without the window border. You can configure and assign a shortcut to it through a config file IIRC

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
yeah, sieve and drum

sell stuff before proceeding, we have all the time in the world and damn the torpedoes

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Our adventures continue:

Sieve works!

i-T5j5PnC-M.png

A book?

i-bRTWWpQ-M.png

Huh, a patchwork journal.

i-dbHSHJr-M.png

Hardly unknown if we know his name is Lorgan. Seems like something that could have helped us in some way against the Brak Nurr.

i-mT2QTbf-M.png

Drum works as well.

i-SM2P8HW-M.png

Weedwalkers!

i-jsj5tGL-M.png

Lets see how much!

i-ZfcdCvh-M.png

Locky has the lowest stealth at 29%.

i-hX6cmpb-M.png

And when we give these to him his stealth jumps up by 30%!

i-sskdjvC-M.png

Unfortunately Owyn's stealth is only 2% higher than Locky's so these really only raised our party stealth value by 2%.

When we get back to Naddur we find a new topic. Guess we got it from that journal.

i-PxcgzMf-M.png

Locky makes it clear he doesn't know what he's talking about.

i-5rSxqWq-M.png

My... toes? Anyway - we learn about a Dragon that passed on fairly recently. How bizarre for a creature that lives for centuries to die so recently. It must have happened in the books.
Speaking of books - Tomas is a major character in them. A boy that finds armor of a demi god - he somehow gets transformed into a demi god. Which made him so cool the queen of the elves married him. Feist sure likes to give his readers what they desire.

i-77cTPnF-M.png

Ah! An explanation for all the moredhel wordlocks in the mines.

i-StZNv6p-M.png

Lets see what the dwarf knows about their origin.

i-rGMpXB7-M.png

Locky clearly is suffering from memory loss. Perhaps its PTSD related. He's been in a war...

i-GC4gvbp-M.png

Yes... it this thing that you've been opening several times now Locky...

i-vnVTrct-M.png

Good thing Gorath is not Kingdom folk.

i-N8R26f4-M.png

We get back to LaMut and sell. Up to 277 gold now.

i-rMJgVfV-M.png

As I leave LaMut I remember that we might want to top off at the inn since we're not destitute anymore. LaMut is dark upon arrival.

i-hkXGJLx-M.png

We pay the 5 gold and settle in for the night. The design of the interface is such that you get more health back if you pay for the room in the early morning - as its more hours to heal from that point on to the NEXT morning. In our case we only get like 80% of the night.

i-ScH975D-M.png

Huh... maybe sleeping in the cold outside was a better idea after all.

i-7GHTqb8-M.png

The next morning - we have regained some health over the usual wilderness resting level.

i-6BCFQhs-M.png

You can immediately sign up for another night.

i-tbnNGpg-M.png

i-qCPFBtw-M.png

But I say no, we're good as is.

i-9HStRRN-M.png

We head out and head south. At some point past the gray road to the mines I see some hills. Sometimes treasure is behind them.

i-xFqN3gc-M.png

As there is in this case!

i-rh55n6X-M.png

Pays for our rest!

i-F6x3f5z-M.png

But the ration is bad.

i-DcP5VXn-M.png

We walk forward a few steps and Scouting check fires.

i-RXrSCTB-M.png

Gorath suggests we should proceed with caution. This means party will automatically try to sneak by the possible ambush. If scouting didn't fire we'd walk into the ambush without any stealth checks.
Unfortunately our stealth fails the very next step.

i-cQkkCB9-M.png

Gorath is immediately charged and hit for 17! So I flee with Owyn to the corner and Locky attacks the guy. Hit for 13.

i-SH5qhG7-M.png

Gorath misses and the enemy misses him with a return swing.

i-SNQbVsd-M.png

Owyn blinds the trailing guy that didn't manage to get close enough to attack during his turn earlier.

i-DXfcqhn-M.png

Locky misses.

i-9NPGrPB-M.png

Gorath misses too and is missed by the enemy's return thrust.

i-MFRRwQb-M.png

Owyn rests. Locky misses again.

i-CVTFsc5-M.png

But Gorath hits this time. 21 damage.

i-vc3TrP9-M.png

Owyn reblinds.

i-S5n28hG-M.png

Locky hits through block for 13.

i-kzHmXtm-M.png

Not wanting to deal with the block - Gorath charges the blind guy but misses him.

i-Jkqqrmn-M.png

Owyn reblinds the same guy - I messed up the timing, should have rested.

i-pNkRDKn-M.png

Locky attacks and is blocked this time.

i-wknqrQp-M.png

That guy attacks Gorath and hits. But only for 7 damage. Seems like he must be almost dead. Gorath retaliates. Hit for 23 and the guy goes down.

i-8KXL36v-M.png

Owyn rests.

Locky charges last guy, misses. Is missed in turn.

i-HzHF4nc-M.png

While checking skill selections we find Gorath's accuracy has increased.

i-g5gCMvS-M.png

Despite this, Gorath misses.

i-RGXR484-M.png

I charge with Owyn but he misses too.

i-Zr4VtQd-M.png

Locky hits for 13. Is missed in turn. Gorath misses.

i-RPrzptr-M.png

Owyn misses.
Locky misses.
Gorath is blocked.
Owyn hits through block for... 3.

i-2SxnTCm-M.png

Locky hits through block for 13.
Gorath is blocked and enemy tries to flee!

I blind with Owyn so that the enemy does not get away.

i-w6L68sg-M.png

Locky chases and hits for 14.

i-qBJHBT4-M.png

Gorath chases and misses.

Owyn rests.

Locky and Gorath both miss.

Owyn re-blinds.

i-X2Fq2Vv-M.png

Locky hits for 15 and the fight is over.

i-8khKbMM-M.png

Nothing special here.

i-VfZ4H84-M.png

Or here...

i-JKM85bm-M.png

I use a whetstone that had 1 charge on Gorath's Lamprey. It goes from 74% to 91%! Quality affects sale prices, so we could start repairing swords before selling them.

As we get back to the main road we see the village of Zun!

i-hVCFkS2-M.png

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lets explore Zun real quick:

As you might recall me mentioning previously - villages work differently from towns. Instead of having a hand drawn picture you can scroll over and go into different places such as inns/shops - villages are instead a series of houses you can click on. Each one has some text - can sometimes lead to loot or even training. And sometimes they're shops or taverns. The big building we saw closest to us last time is a tavern.

i-DBqpdnG-M.png

I guess the tavernkeeper had some people eat and not pay.

i-Ctc76zz-M.png

So taverns have the food/drinks menu - but you can't sleep there.

i-jQdDSjw-M.png

Tasty - but clearly a bad financial deal. It works just like a normal ration.

i-8JQQ2N8-M.png

We go to the next house.

i-VB3V5Ms-M.png

And get assaulted by a drunkard... Not sure why the game didn't let us fight back.

i-FLdjzg9-M.png

What's worse - it actually cost Locky 5 stamina points!

i-vtQvZ69-M.png

We look at another house and its inhabitant is a lot friendlier. I'm pretty sure Baron Kevin was a character in the books - but I don't remember anything about him.

i-qQhPg2P-M.png

i-TJRQ24d-M.png

This next house seems smaller.

i-sVGfFL5-M.png

No luck with this one I'm afraid.

i-dQ7j4Wq-M.png

Onto the next...

i-pDFjFzg-M.png

Ah, a looting opportunity! In a way - these houses feel like chests. Or maybe like breaking barrels in some games to see what's inside.

i-Q6vZTNr-M.png

Not bad!

i-Gb7tgLV-M.png

Next house looks different. I believe all shops look like this.

i-PTCnncx-M.png

Yup...

i-D6Tmzz6-M.png

Ah, its a herbalist's shop. Good thing we decided to sell all that arms and armor in LaMut after exiting the mines - doesn't look like there's a weapon's shop in this town to sell them in.

i-GjXVBpR-M.png

Alchemy is expensive...

i-NRMJLsM-M.png

Some of the items are fairly self explanatory.

i-QDZmRB2-M.png

Tith is the god of battle.

i-V5WXTS8-M.png

A few more items. Restoratives are actually affordable - but we're still doing good with our current supply.

i-c82Gn48-M.png

A spice and a buff for the xbox skill!

i-dtGT7xr-M.png

Well, its finally a chance to sell our Dragon Stone as I think it only helps counteract specific special attacks when put on the armor. We don't expect any of those anytime soon.

i-Q6GrcLB-M.png

That concludes the town of Zun. So we have a few options next as we are on the crossroads. We can go East towards Hawk's Hollow...

i-DrtnV5D-M.png

And either take that path down to Krondor or possibly even head north to Loriel since we have a lead on Makala's ruby out that way.

i-rmgSp8k-M.png

Or we can continue on the most direct path down to Krondor by the way of Questor's View since we're not really hurting for money and that happens to be our main objective.

i-VRV7b47-M.png

So Codex - Do we head East, or South?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom