Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Lets play the best Storyfag RPG of all time: Betrayal at Krondor!

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Don't think anything more can be done with Orno other than possibly getting sick again.

The sword is made for humans so it's possible it will actually make Gorath worse at landing a hit since he's currently using a sword made for Elves. We'll see when I buy 1.

And thanks Samuraigaiden - its possible GoG's dosbox is misconfigured for this game, I'll do some research. I end up having to play most of the game in windowed mode as it goes to it as soon as I Alt+Tab out after taking the first screenshot - so its possible that's messing it up instead.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Did the game have some kind of spell that summoned fog so that avoiding enemies (or train scouting) became a breeze?

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I remember reading the novelization and wondered how the game was. Seeing this, I really get the feeling that you had to be there to get how it felt playing this. It reminds me of playing Fallout 2 for the first time. I don't think I would have loved it as much as I did back then, if I hadn't played at the age of 13, but it really blew me away back then and I will always cherish this memory. Betrayal at Krondor gives me the same vibes, so I wish you the best of luck with the rest of LP!

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, lets move on to the next part of our journey - the retrieval and delivery of the Ruby.

By the way - I followed samuraigaiden's suggestion - so let me know if you like that look better, it seems to stretch the text a bit.

First we buy a new sword.

i-dMHsLHm-M.png

So looks like a straight upgrade for Locky's Broadsword. 8 more damage with the thrust - so like a 30% damage increase. While being as likely to hit. Also swing is much more damaging AND more likely to hit.

i-zhXSZwn-M.png

The upgrade for Gorath is not as pronounced. Since Gorath is an elf, his change to hit with a thrust is the same IF I'm understanding the racial penalty correctly. But extra 5 damage is nice, probably like a 20% damage increase for Gorath. Also swing should be same chance to hit, but also more damaging. So we buy a second sword for Gorath.

i-kQTNPHM-M.png

Now we head back toward's Hawk's Hollow to try to find Isaac for the Ruby. Somewhere I run into a trap. There were several places where the road split and apparently I took a different branch this time. The traps in this game are interesting - there are 2 types of mechanisms, we only see 1 in this particular trap. The staves have matching colors, if you try to pass between them, lightning shoots between the two and you get hit for like 50 damage.

i-6qQ845X-M.png

This trap has an enemy as well. The cloak is yellow - meaning spellcaster. He's behind the staves so only one of our fighters could approach. This is one of the very few places where this particular spell is useful.

i-nKsdHG3-M.png

We use the minimum cost and it pulls the caster far enough forward so that everyone can hit him. Locky starts - 20 damage. He usually hit for 12-15, so the weapon upgrade is quite visible.

i-p2XJZbv-M.png

Gorath hits harder too, 25 instead of 20ish that he'd usually hit for.

i-NKZZkBx-M.png

Since the spellcaster can't cast in melee and the guy must be low on health already I decide to give Owyn some practice, but he misses.

i-29nCtxk-M.png

Locky does not. 20 damage again. Surprisingly the caster is still up.

i-DVdQnc9-M.png

Gorath misses this time.

i-4C835V8-M.png

Owyn does not. 4 damage and the enemy dies! Wizard melee kill!

i-4ZdT5gX-M.png

The battle does not end immediately. Gorath has to walk between the two sets of staves in order for the game to register that we "solved" the trap.

i-qTP3VzN-M.png

Nice, that's quite the chunk of gold and Owyn finally has some restoratives for emergencies now. Its interesting that our wizard uses a staff but theirs still prefer swords.

i-Sv4Cnrk-M.png

We proceed while picking up loot we could not before and eventually reach Isaac.

i-Sg8MKtt-M.png

Isaac is on point.

i-MNsVmDz-M.png

So is Locky. Why have we been muddling about Codex?

i-sxgZFXZ-M.png

Perhaps we wanted Isaac to feel lucky.

i-FK94xKv-M.png

Hmmm, I guess our first exposure to traps opened this topic.

i-WhBhz3f-M.png

I guess the Orseinnes is the mountain range between two main parallel roads south.

i-LBz367g-M.png

Isaac seems to be quite the strategist. Perhaps they should have kept him at court despite his ignoble birth.

i-vd4bQgx-M.png

i-K33GG8V-M.png

Ok, lets see what he has to say about the ruby.

i-HHQPmBg-M.png

Locky has a smooth side for sure.

i-TzCt4HV-M.png

I suppose I would find the question strange as well.

i-tn9zBJb-M.png

Returning it to Keifer? Seems like a round about way of getting this stone back in Makala's hands.

i-wz34KFh-M.png

Damn, he must have quite the expensive sword to require a gem in payment.

i-QcRN2HW-M.png

Well, we did just get master dwarven training.

i-mGq8vG2-M.png

All you need is a whetstone son...

i-gnpBggh-M.png

You're not the only one who's learned some skillz over the last 10 years Isaac!

i-ZQKzqqs-M.png

Damn, he's making me second guess myself. Think Gorath has the highest skill at like 69% (NICE!!).

i-w27cst2-M.png

Well, we need that ruby. So lets give it a try.

i-xV7sR7j-M.png

Yes, yes.

i-mTD3FWz-M.png

Sounds like we succeeded.

i-ZsmzjHc-M.png

Think moss-rangers are the Dark Elf special forces.

i-9kLjq5t-M.png

Ruby is ours!

i-nLg8Z4k-M.png

This concludes our dance with Isaac. Let's look at our prize. 1% value rating - guess they don't want us to sell it instead of having to leg it to LaMut.

i-53mP7t3-M.png

As we proceed further I notice a chest I missed on the way up.

i-TGGfGjg-M.png

It was unlocked.

i-nJvf78r-M.png

We rest overnight at the Hawk's Hollow inn. Then we continue back towards Zun and run into another fight I missed on the way out here.

i-J3Vknx4-M.png

Just 2 enemies fortunately. We shouldn't have too tough of a time with our new swords. They charge but do not reach us.

i-Hjn2JjT-M.png

Owyn blinds the rear enemy. Locky charges and misses the lead enemy.

i-rhX42LK-M.png

Gorath charges but does not reach. Lead enemy swings and misses Locklear. Owyn rests.
Locky misses the enemy again.

i-ffWBkj9-M.png

Gorath misses him too. Maybe we'll have trouble after all.

i-D9LkzXM-M.png

Owyn re-blinds rear enemy. Locky finally hits, 20 damage.
Gorath is parried. Enemy swings and hits Locky for ? damage. Rear enemy somehow comes to and moves towards Gorath, but does not strike.
Owyn blinds the guy that everyone has been attacking.

i-C8v3GM9-M.png

Locky attacks that guy and hits for 20 damage.

i-cTZKgTm-M.png

Gorath hits the same guy for 29 and that guy goes down. Guess it won't be trouble after all.

i-Tsbkq3b-M.png

Enemy misses Gorath.
Owyn appraises that guy as resting would do no good.

i-4rXBsdt-M.png

Locky attacks that guy, hit for 19.

i-F7DM9bz-M.png

Gorath tries a swing, its a miss.

i-ZBdW5fp-M.png

Owyn studies enemy again, damn. That guy is strong!

i-HjCpqs5-M.png

Locky is parried.

i-bV4ptWT-M.png

Gorath defends. I want the enemy to attack - not have my strike parried and riposted.
Locky is parried again.

i-F4dcNws-M.png

Gorath defends again.
Locky hits through block for 19.
I get tired of defending - Gorath tries a thrust. Its a hit through block for 27.

i-7cShm5x-M.png

Owyn moves up. Locky is parried. This guy is just on defense.

i-PRQRRfH-M.png

Gorath is parried. Enemy repostes - its a miss.

i-K8jLhmT-M.png

Owyn moves in and hits for 4.

i-CVnjLXF-M.png

Locky misses.

i-pSjRxhJ-M.png

Gorath does too.
Enemy runs but barely moves, he's close to the edge of the map though.
Owyn hits him for 4 again.

i-PZZRVXd-M.png

I misclick with Locky and Gorath is not in range, enemy moves away.
Owyn chases and misses.

i-X5mXfGF-M.png

Locky finishes with a hit for 23.

i-cvkHmXk-M.png

Just one skill increase from that fight.

i-spX6XhG-M.png

Those Lamprey's are not selling, better luck in cities down south hopefully.

i-36cT64Z-M.png

Think the rations were good.

i-8vtTCcm-M.png

There were no more problems on the way to LaMut.

i-5Dr3Thx-M.png

We go up to the Garrison again.

i-QQ9SFDV-M.png

Guess its shiny despite the 1% value.

i-G2CJ9TW-M.png

We don't get a medal. Oh well, lets hope we're on the Captain's good graces from here on out.

i-kTbFt6g-M.png

We also sell all the stuff we've picked up and are up to 315 gold.

i-hxk9MV6-M.png

We have some choices of where to head next.

Option A) is to head up to Yabon though there's no RP reason to do so.

i-4LnKfPQ-M.png

Option B) is to head south on the western branch - directly towards Questor's View.

i-FkgSwvN-M.png

Option C) is to head South East with designs to head towards Krondor via the SE road (via Eggley) - or even to head towards the Dimwood forest in the middle of the map.

i-XmtsgDL-M.png

Do note that there is a road connecting South and South-East roads towards Krondor - just south of Questor's view and NW of Eggley - so we'll have a way to reverse our decision of either B or C later.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Onto Questor's View:

We head down past Zun and take the southern path.

i-PhfF6gT-M.png

A few steps later we run into a trap!

i-ps2brSn-M.png

Staves rise out from the ground. Fortunately their creator is not with them.

i-6rbzQ2G-M.png

Fortunately the puzzle is easy. Locky moves forward and stops before the Green staves.

i-GbNDkRm-M.png

Then cuts to the left.

i-BDMKd3Z-M.png

And then proceeds ahead.

i-G9dwndK-M.png

Fortunately this is not one of those games that requires you to drag every character through the trap. Locky's escape is enough for the game to realize that you know how to solve the puzzle.

i-F6mD8C5-M.png

A step after triggers a conversation. I wonder how these proposed spies fit it, I didn't think elves were so common in the Kingdom.

i-MxQnTWg-M.png

That's true, how did these spies know to set up ambushes and arcane traps?

i-rmqBXtV-M.png

Well... we have been taking our sweet time.

i-v5pkGTZ-M.png

Hmmm, maybe this is where Locky was supposed to pick up that Mind Reading topic with Isaac from. Perhaps we did things out of order.

i-2vfhFxC-M.png

Damn, telepathic magicians? Well I suppose game would be boring if we could just outrun the word of our passing.

i-Fd7XkZm-M.png

Well, I guess we'll have to keep our eyes out for moving figures in the woods even more vigilantly than before.

i-9tBzLcx-M.png

A few steps later we're asked if we want to take a shortcut through ambush territory or stay where we are. The Codex voted to go, so we click Yes.

i-MZJW62c-M.png

No such ambushes materialized. Strangely our rations did not deplete by 5 days.

i-Z3MmwhW-M.png

We did move some on the map, but normally we'd be able to cross that distance in a day.

i-DTZQzmx-M.png

We can see the Sea! Its a good sign - Krondor is on the same sea after all.

i-KG6KGjx-M.png

As we explore our new location we find a chest hidden away.

i-k2G8cc8-M.png

It's a puzzle lock! I'll stop this session short for Codex to figure it out.

i-WmnnfqG-M.png

i-WVWpsWw-M.png

i-88T236H-M.png

i-tGFKCb8-M.png

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lets continue to Questor's View:

We try the code:

i-cnfpwXC-M.png

Ah our first spell scroll!

i-5WVkgH8-M.png

Flamecast is basically a Fireball. It's... not that great as it costs a lot of health and has a pretty good chance of missing the enemies. But what is a mage without this?

i-rBXLVf8-M.png

Owyn doesn't know it yet, so we immediately use it on him. Seems like there is some kind of magic lock on it to make sure only 1 person learns the spell from a single scroll.

i-F76S4hX-M.png

We proceed and notice a side road, taking it we reach a lone house. We check it out and get greeted by this strange fellow. Why was he starting behind Gorath's shoulder? Are there invisible assassins following us? Or does he see dead people or something?

i-JRZwFFf-M.png

We continue on and eventually find another side path with a smaller house.

i-NmmVzhX-M.png

But it appears to be abandoned.

i-JcCWkqZ-M.png

There's a single grave next to it.

i-xvVR8gx-M.png

Out of curiosity I click on it. That's quite the warning - it's probably real, if you want to hide stuff in a grave its best to do so in a cemetery where the gravestone does not stand out from any of the rest. Could this place be related to the dude that was seeing something over Gorath's shoulder?

i-BLR4fh4-M.png

We don't have a shovel anyway so we continue on. After a very long walk without any hidden loot that I could find we reach here.

i-9rNhzfW-M.png

And see some enemies.

i-gsdSgqW-M.png

We finally manage to surprise them!

i-P9WpjLN-M.png

Let's check out our new battle spell first. So - it does 3x damage of the health we invest - so a max of 60 for 20 health. There is some splash damage to nearby unfortunates if it hits - I believe a max of 20 per - but I don't remember for sure.

i-bHxgkn3-M.png

Its a much better deal to spend 2 health to disable an enemy for a round or two. Owyn does so on the closes enemy.

i-HHgkN97-M.png

Locky charges and hits that guy for 19 (only guy he could reach).

i-25dQ8FK-M.png

Rightmost enemy moves towards Owyn, Left one shoots and hits either Locky or the blind guy Locky was attacking for 8 damage.
Gorath SWINGS and hits at the guy charging Owyn. 34 damage.

i-hmwNbtW-M.png

Owyn blinds that same guy.

i-hhcGdw4-M.png

Looks like archer did hit Locky. This makes Locky angry he charges the archer. Its a hit for 21.

i-t8jN8Dr-M.png

Gorath finishes the newly blind opponent with thrust for 27. These new swords are magnificent.

i-FHVFr89-M.png

Not desiring to waste more stamina - Owyn asseses the guy he blinded in the beginning.

i-TkcNNrv-M.png

Locky swings at the archer that made him angry. Is parried.

i-GvQKp6z-M.png

Enemy charges and misses Gorath.
Gorath decides to swing again. Its a hit - 34.

i-tt6DTJ6-M.png

Owyn figures that guy must be on his last legs, charges but misses.

i-2FDZZqq-M.png

Locky thrusts - is parried. Then SWUNG at and hit for 15!

i-6FQ487r-M.png

Gorath is the star of this battle - finishes his opponent with a thrust for 27.

i-5N8KxG8-M.png

Own blinds Locky's nemesis.

i-5N8KxG8-M.png

Locky hits this time - 21. Gorath moves towards but not even close to reaching the enemy.

i-NgrHnvm-M.png

Owyn rests. Locky attacks again - 22 damage this time, enemy must be almost down.
Gorath reaches the enemy but misses this time.

i-sRXrP3Z-M.png

Owyn charges and hits that guy for 4.

i-BpjdX24-M.png

Locky finishes with a hit for 27. He's also the only one who had skill increases. Strength bonus is very nice!

i-frTGFhn-M.png

It's always nice when enemies carry gold.

i-7f4JQKB-M.png

And rations.

i-mCCH7SF-M.png

And crossbows - those sell well.

i-dWcfVDJ-M.png

There's a side path right next to these guys, we follow it and find what appears to be a shop.

i-rLntJ2F-M.png

Looks like a general store.

i-QPfW5wL-M.png

And it is.

i-QCXQ4NK-M.png

Doesn't seem like it sells anything interesting. Strangely enough they're willing to buy our extra armors, but not the extra swords or the crossbow.

i-HSH5CHt-M.png

We continue on and finally reach Questor's View!

i-bxWvt7T-M.png

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What happens if you try to dig up that grave? You could buy a shovel there in that shop you found near the end of the update..
Are shovels good for anything else? Is there a point to lugging them around?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What happens if you try to dig up that grave
Graves that have that specific text are haunted. I think we need a particular spell to deal with the ghost, don't remember the exact details.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, lets proceed!

Codex decided to investigate the grave. But we're in Questor's View already so lets explore it first.

i-wCNVxRj-M.png

Really? I mean we're in a hurry to save the Kingdom or something - but there's barbecued sea bass here!

i-qCtd3D5-M.png

Isn't marriage wonderful? We obviously agree.

i-gSgCxvk-M.png

I don't know if some time passed in the game or not - but everyone got 2 rations. So that's a total of 6 altogether.

i-dkpPFLv-M.png

This looks like an inn or a tavern.

i-W749LVz-M.png

Says its a hostel, but no innkeeper.

i-7Kx44mK-M.png

Guy on the right had the Talk sign over him, but for some reason he has nothing to say. Some side quest perhaps?

i-VHnD7Wf-M.png

We go on to the next house.

i-WMsNsZd-M.png

Sounds like life in the Kingdom can be rough even without Assassins chasing you.

i-kQNqDwG-M.png

Well, that's a pretty good recommendation. But how qualified is a 13 year old to make that judgement? Still they came here to study under the guy - perhaps he's famous for the region.

i-dwHB8xW-M.png

Next we see a shop.

i-V6ZzXQk-M.png

A shop focused on arms and armor! Let's see what they have.

i-2bhRPhr-M.png

Oooo, new stuff.

i-3SS9dnQ-M.png

Too bad we can't see stats. But its probably too focused on Swings.

i-87Bdc2G-M.png

Oh wow, not just 1 - but 2 new types of armor.

i-tr5RZ3V-M.png

Think this armor is designed for the Tsurani - and we'll never have one in our party.

i-CvRKWvq-M.png

And this one is designed for dwarves, unfortunately we'll never have one in our party either. One can't help but wonder if they could have made more games in this engine.

i-vLSfqHG-M.png

This place is willing to buy our Lampreys! Finally! Unfortunately it gives awful prices. Can't be helped though, we need to make space for new equipment we're likely to find on assassins we'll face in the future. I sell all the extra swords I'm carrying, as well as that crossbow. We're back over 400 gold.

i-4ZX2gQP-M.png

Last house - must be that Tad Questor lives here.

i-dKqLqrK-M.png

A fencer? Well he seems to be a man of culture and sophistication.

i-FkBvF84-M.png

We all know the Codex would say Yes.

i-LKkjQTf-M.png

Gorath is having second thoughts - but fortunately they're unfounded. Even Owyn gets some personal lessons.

i-CwTTkGK-M.png

i-QrQNFSq-M.png

That's what we like to see.

i-XQcSBDf-M.png

Locky is starting to get really good at landing hits. Still - clearly Sumani's lesson was better.

i-d3xTH9z-M.png

While Owyn is merely average - he has grown far from being a unskilled combatant.

i-XbgFzSB-M.png

Gorath is becoming quite decent too.

i-WPPf9ZB-M.png

Since we're done with Questor's View lets go check out that grave. First we retreat to that General Store and buy ourselves a shovel.

i-v9NDLjQ-M.png

As I come around the mountain behind the store as that's the most direct way to the grave we run into a trap!

i-HQrCjq8-M.png

There's a chest behind it! This trap shows a new type of danger - the cannon looking thing shoots fireballs if you walk in front of it.

i-jHbDmgv-M.png

Fortunately the fireballs get blocked by the lightning from the other trap - so the only way you could get damaged here if you run into the lighting in confusion. Instead Owyn just goes forward and the trap is defeated.

i-3tKHGCZ-M.png

There are 2 chests!

i-2MrRcsS-M.png

They both turn out to be puzzle chests. The letter options for this one are:

ROBN
OLEG
SHIE
TINS

i-FRK39GK-M.png

This one seems easier, its letter options are:

RMEES
SHPKT
TERLR
ALOBE

i-ptdSRB3-M.png

Anyway, we proceed to the grave.

i-fccsRZH-M.png

That's anti-climactic! And its not really what I remember. Sometimes things change in later chapters - perhaps that is the case here, or perhaps my memory is failing me.

i-S6WVvzF-M.png

Ok, once we solve the puzzle chests we have to decide where to head next. So:

A) For heading directly to Krondor via Sarth.

i-cKzVsSK-M.png

Or B) Heading towards the Eastern branch onto Eggley. We might recall Isaac mentioned a few things about Eggley and a resident named Devon.

i-dH9333L-M.png

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
as the barbarian says:
RING
SMOKE

B) check if there are any deviled eggs in eggley

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
also: damn, that whole interaction with the fisherman and his wife (happy about the day's catch and willing to share their food with complete strangers) is so damn friendly

you can tell this is happening in a magical world of fantasy

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Go toward B.

And I suck at those riddle. Didn't found a single one since the start

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom