Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Night Empire

ironyuri

Look, precisely because we are Ventrue that a demonstration is in order. If we are, for example, Gangrel, or Brujah, people will know we got fangs to back our words. But we are Ventrue, master of diplomatic crafts, people will rightfully suspect we got more barks than bites, so to speak.

On another note, yo grotsnik~ When is the next update? It's nearly one week already.

Also, just on what you said about people suspecting we've got more bark than bite, lac- isn't that exactly how we should prefer it? If one of our opponents thinks he can get the upper hand and thinks that we have no trump guard (our ghouls) then that opponent (or opponents) will be complacent and perhaps fall into a trap, or make themselves vulnerable.

Let the other barons think we're weak, because that's when we'll be able to best build up our strength against them. I like what SerratedB said, our short-term aim should be to become Seneschal. I think that would be sweet.

laclongquan

Arcane
Chap, double think like that will bite you in the ass.

For one thing, it's precisely that currently we have more barks than bite.
- Muscle we only have Edgar and the squad as mobile force of arms. If we plan to use force for anything, they are it.
- The Nos and whatever muscles he can scrape up is our OWN personal security. We really shouldnt use him and his to deal with stuffs, unless Anthony is right there on the front line to do it.
- We dont have any close ally left. Erika? Gone for god know where. Samantha? captured and imprisoned, and we are not even talking about her attacking us.
I am telling you right here, Anthony dont really have much to spend, in term of brute forces.

Which is why a show of force in the south is important. If we are lucky, our hidden enemies will think we still have plenty of reserves left and will think twice on attacking us. We absolutely can not afford them thinking we dont have anything left and gamble on a frontal attack on our residence. If such event happen we will have to call on Edgar to bail us out and the secret weapon is secret no more with no gain.

And lucky or not, those barons of the south will flock to us. At least we show that we command a visible force. That is money on the table right there, and they can trust that.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yeah, humiliating the Southern barons by cleaning their own house will do wonders, think better, having barons in a weak position is in our best interest at the moment, and to strengthen us we need reliable allies not some dumb show of force.

ironyuri

There's no malice in my argument, just to clarify. I really don't think that the southern barons would "flock to us" if we take out their trash for them. There's soon going to be a new Prince in town and all they'll see is Anthony Sommers trying to impress the incoming foreigner with a quick Sabbat clear-out.

You nixed your argument in your own post:

The only muscle Anthony has is this ghoul special forces squad.

The strength of this ghoul squad is that none of our rivals yet know of its existence.

So....

You want us to show our hand in this poker game, when we've got one ace and we haven't even seen the flop yet.

We have exactly one card to play and we don't know what's on the table. I would not make a bet with that hand. You want us to show our cards to all the other barons when we don't know what they're holding and we're about to get a new dealer (the Venetian envoy).

laclongquan

Arcane
Whoever said about cleaning their house?

CCCCC is an operation to test the combat worthy of the squad. It's just to clean a Sabbat nest, not to scour them all (as if we can). The very wording says so.

Dont make a moutain out of molehill, yo.

EDIT: And CCC is a bluff. We dont have enough in store, but we have enemies in both Camarrila and Anarchy. If we dont bluff them with a strong hand, they wont back down. This situation is not safe enough to show our timidity. While the value of the squad's secretcy is high, if and only if we intend to use them for a Cami or Anarchy strike, one to take all. After such strike we absolutely must not use them again or face reprisal... You see how problematic it is?

No, it's best to show them off here to scare off future attacks on our turf.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're a lousy strategist, and a worse politician.

We should in fact, be digging up dirt on the barons to offer the venetian councilor (and no fucking grand gestures or bypassing cammarilla hierarchy publicly, that shit gets you shot in the face).

They probably are sharpening the stakes for our back when the guy arrives. No chosen prince is ever going to be against the will of a Methuselah, unless the barons are all united and ready to rumble, and how likely is that? If you don't see the sucker, you're it.

Offensives against the sabbat are all well and good when in a crisis or you have a superior around to lay the victory for the camarilla at their feet - when you don't and the higher ups are asking "what has happened to London", you're just a loose cannon (and a glass one at that). It would be harder to blame us for Eanes behavior, but we lose the ace, heat up old enemies, probably get people on the team killed, gain no ground against the sabbat.

In fact, i'd give the team up to the councilman to use to remove any "impediment" that arises when he arrives. You know, become the goat in reverse if the team origin is found out. Risky, but a powerful favor.

Indeed, we could encourage the "impediment" ourselves ... someone we don't like preferably. I doubt the councilman would care if he found out, except as insurance (blackmail material).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I've fucked up before too, with longer lasting effect *cougharpycough*

Sometimes i guess i get over enthusiastic. Watch that shit bros.

Esquilax

Arcane
I think some people voting are still trying to play Anthony as some kind of gung-ho rambo. The reaction from the London barons after Anthony brought down Bishop Angelos was not a favourable one, and if it weren't for Earnes and Turcov needing his assistance to form a ruling triumvirate (due to Anthony's savvy) he'd probably have been staked well before now. It would seem that the other barons don't yet know about Anthony's ghouled special forces team, why show our hand?

The Angelos situation is precisely what I was thinking of. Our rivals won't be thinking "Oh golly gee-whiz Mr. Sommers, thanks for taking care of all those Sabbat for me with your fancy vampire-killing ghoul squad you've told nobody about!", they'll be embarrassed and pissed off that an upstart little shit came into their territory for a tactless demonstration of force. Moves like this will inspire jealousy and get us killed.

We didn't ghoul the squad to use against the Sabbat. At least that was my understanding. They're meant to be our trump card against kindred like Turcov. They can operate during the day time, when we cannot, and if need be, eliminate rival barons if they become a threat to Anthony's continued existence. The Sabbat is still rebuilding, and if the southern Barons cannot handle a disorganised Sabbat by themselves then they should be left to sink or swim because they're unfit.

Bro, this has given me an idea that will allow us to kill two birds with one stone and unite the Camarilla. Let's say we manage to off a rival Baron with our ghoul squad without it being traced back to us (at this point, it's very much possible). Who will take the heat for it?

Not the Sabbat, using highly-skilled ghouls like this is just not their style. I propose we try to pin the deed on Hunters in some way. We lie and say that there is a high possibly that a cell of Hunters is running surveillance on London Kindred, and that they must be highly organized. We also state that we are likely being watched by a potential Hunter named Mandrake who has been spying on us and request resources to track him down. We can use the ensuing hysteria to forge alliances with a few key Barons.

laclongquan

Arcane
Babe, the barons are pissed of at Anthony for being an upstart newcomer already. We will never win a popularity contest with them. The Tremere got doubly pissed of due to Samantha. The ex-Prince faction got super duper pissed of due to the coup. And we are not even talking about Anarchy factions

Given two cents they will strike at us, no worry. If we dont show the flag down south, our residence will get attack. Soon. Youjust watch and see. Then we will have to call on Edgar to bail us out, therefore disclosing our secret for nothing.

Bah. Even the pleasure of knowing I am right dont help much.

ironyuri

We didn't ghoul the squad to use against the Sabbat. At least that was my understanding. They're meant to be our trump card against kindred like Turcov. They can operate during the day time, when we cannot, and if need be, eliminate rival barons if they become a threat to Anthony's continued existence. The Sabbat is still rebuilding, and if the southern Barons cannot handle a disorganised Sabbat by themselves then they should be left to sink or swim because they're unfit.

Bro, this has given me an idea that will allow us to kill two birds with one stone and unite the Camarilla. Let's say we manage to off a rival Baron with our ghoul squad without it being traced back to us (at this point, it's very much possible). Who will take the heat for it?

Not the Sabbat, using highly-skilled ghouls like this is just not their style. I propose we try to pin the deed on Hunters in some way. We lie and say that there is a high possibly that a cell of Hunters is running surveillance on London Kindred, and that they must be highly organized. We also state that we are likely being watched by a potential Hunter named Mandrake who has been spying on us and request resources to track him down. We can use the ensuing hysteria to forge alliances with a few key Barons.

Esquilax, when I wrote that post up I actually had in mind that if used against another Camarilla kindred, that our team might be mistaken for a hunter squad. I like your line of thinking, because Costello has just told us that someone is leaking info about Anthony's backdoor politicking to the press (Mandrake). grotsnik speculated that it might be another baron with a grudge, but what kind of luck would that be? That would mean a baron would have given us the perfect excuse. If hunters are on the loose and Sommers is a target, who is to say another of the Barons is not under scrutiny as well, and could be hit by surprise? If Sommers could get away with that, it would definitely secure his position, as fear would switch to fear of hunters and the Masquerade being broken, rather than Sommers weaknesses.

@Lac, you said it again bro. You think our new residence will be attacked soon, so that makes it all the more important that we survey the place, make sure there are no secret entrances we don't yet know about, or maybe even some secret rooms Sommers could use as a "panic room" if he gets hit by another kindred. If another Baron attacked Sommers, all he would have to do is survive and then strike back with his ghouls.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I like both ideas, but mine seems riskier.

So of course, i prefer it slightly. I'd be happy with both, and grotsnik is obviously gunning for the hunters anyway though.

And the hunters - unlike the sabbat - can't embrace or break blood bonds, if the unthinkable happens, and the team rebels/is captured.

Most hunter cells would be rolf-stomped by the full weight of a camarilla court though, especially the Vatican ones, that believe but also are not interested in breaking the masquerade (weakest part of hunters in WoD IMO)*.

*did i ever mention that i love settings where the broken masquerade turns into the unmasked world? People freaking out, monsters freaking out, end of the world?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Actually scratch that - you realize that if we're going to do this without the higher up knowing, the team (and prob Fellowes with them, since he's a loyal, high humanity vamp) will have to die afterwards? If even one of them is ever found, never mind being made to talk, it's enough to trace them to the former prime minister, which is enough to trace them to ... us.

These people better had have their whole life eradicated before joining the squad, and even so, if one is caught and turned/dominated/interrogated under auspex/bloodbonded, the jig is up.

So i think we either need to let the elder "ASSUME CONTROL" and just try to make him use them how we want it to be used by creating a "problem" (which i guess, doesn't need to be a cammie, but the elder is coming to crack heads), or just be good boys and don't hide it's ours when we use them in a camarilla virtuous way.

The camarilla works by bonds and obligations and chain of hierarchy, if you don't scratch backs (and we have been a exceptionally bad scratcher), then we have nothing worthwhile in alliances.

ironyuri

Actually scratch that - you realize that if we're going to do this without the higher up knowing, the team (and prob Fellowes with them, since he's a loyal, high humanity vamp) will have to die afterwards? If even one of them is ever found, never mind being made to talk, it's enough to trace them to the former prime minister, which is enough to trace them to ... us.

These people better had have their whole life eradicated before joining the squad, and even so, if one is caught and turned/dominated/interrogated under auspex/bloodbonded, the jig is up.

So i think we either need to let the elder "ASSUME CONTROL" and just try to make him use them how we want it to be used by creating a "problem", or just be good boys and don't hide it's ours when we use them in a camarilla virtuous way.

I think they were a more useful asset when Earnes/Turcov were in control of London, and I don't mind grotsnik pulling some Deus ex machina strings to extricate use from the convoluted, dead end narrative we ended up in with Joan, but treating this as a new campaign with old assets carried over and an unstable political landscape, it'll be interesting to see what develops from the Elders' interference in London.

Kind of wish we hadn't killed off Don Jameson, now that grotsnik has worked hunters back into the plot.

Edit- I'm not posting against til the update. God damnit grotsnik you're like crack, bringing me back to the Codex I thought I'd left.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
We tried our best to prepare him, but i guess that situation demanded a cost for grotsnik.

Being able to kill the new local-commander of the sabbat assault without a cost except a monster most of us didn't want anyway? I didn't think that'd fly when i suggest Jameson either tbh. I don't want the same happening to Fellowes.

Or even Oscar, two-faced nosferatu that he is. Erika was the smart one - she left the danger zone of Sommers, 13 generation upstart baron.

fuck, now i'm depressed.

ironyuri

10418.jpg

fuck, now i'm depressed.

Kz3r0

Arcane

This.

Esquilax

Arcane

There are ways around this - you're assuming Eddie has to know about this operation in the first place (he won't). If we send our troops into our target's residence at dawn on their own, it would be right when our mark would be least prepared. A Baron will probably have a few ghouls guarding them during the daytime, but they'll be no match for our guys with their tactics, incendiary grenades, high-tech weaponry and the element of surprise. They won't have a fucking clue what hit them.

Of course, prior to this we would help them prepare as much as possible by providing information on the target's defenses, house layout, etc. We could get this information quite easily by inviting ourselves to our mark's home under the pretense of discussing politics and making note of the defenses in their home. And as for our ghouls knowing too much - well, they're our blood-bound servants, judicious use of DOMINATE to mindwipe them should be a simple matter for a cunning Ventrue.

As far as getting away with it, Eames got away with offing du Marchais under the barest thread of evidence, so it's not like there's no precedent here. My take on it is that with a Baron being very efficiently murdered in their own home by "Hunters", the London Camarilla are going to be so dead-set on (A) determining who will occupy the now-deceased Baron's domain and (B) terrified of a threat to the Masquerade/another attack that I highly doubt that they will look deeply into who is guilty among all the hysteria.

So i think we either need to let the elder "ASSUME CONTROL" and just try to make him use them how we want it to be used by creating a "problem" (which i guess, doesn't need to be a cammie, but the elder is coming to crack heads), or just be good boys and don't hide it's ours when we use them in a camarilla virtuous way.

The camarilla works by bonds and obligations and chain of hierarchy, if you don't scratch backs (and we have been a exceptionally bad scratcher), then we have nothing worthwhile in alliances.

Yes, we have been pretty bad at playing courtier and kissing ass, but I don't think just giving away our edge to an elder is the answer here. For one, the first question would be "You've been training a squad of ghouls to kill vampires for the past six months, and you're just telling me about it now? Why are you telling me now?" That being said, it is safe at least.

laclongquan

Arcane
Oi, Eddie stay with the troop from the day one. We relied on him as trainer and control of the group. Dont kid yourself: if the troops is in use, Eddie will know about it. Underestimate your right hand man is the worst thing you can do in this type of secret op.

Edit: and dont sell yourself short. In two months Anthony shot up from one upstart kindred who control Whitehall alone into a baron. That is meteoric speed. Imagine you get promoted from head of county sale right into head of regional sale in two months. No, even more than that. head of national sale of an international corporation.

grotsnik

Arcane
Chapter 2

“Cripps,” you bark into the intercom. “I’m going to take a look around the house. Come and find me as soon as you can.”
A short, indistinct growl of agreement is all you get in response.
You turn back into the hallway. At the far eastern end is a door you don’t think you’ve passed through before.
The handle turns; the old lily-shaped lamps flicker and ignite.
This must have been the envoy’s study, you think. There are small, square indentations in the dust of the carpet where a desk and chair once rested. In the very centre of the room, a bust has been abandoned on the floor; cheap, carved from faux-marble, it was apparently not considered worth taking.
A low-browed head, dominated by a cruel Eastern curved nose and framed by two long, crudely-cut curtains of hair. Any Kindred in the world would recognise Mithras when they saw him.
Carefully, you crouch down, and turn the bust over in your hands.
Inscribed on the base, you read,

ἄνθρωπος ἐν εὐφρόνῃ φάος ἅπτεται ἑαυτῷ ἀποθανὼνἀποσϐεσθείς ὄψεις, ζῶν δὲ ἅπτεται τεθνεῶτος εὕδων,ἀποσϐεσθείς ὄψεις, ἐγρηγορὼς ἅπτεται εὕδοντος.

“Men burn,” you murmur, frowning, “…no…men are lit and men are extinguished like torches in the night…”

The little Mithras stares, dumb and unknowable, back up at you. You replace it on the floor.

Behind you, the door creaks further ajar, and a sprawling, gangling, immensely tall shape, its horrid brown suit bulging at the seams, forces itself through.

“Ah,” you say, getting quickly to your feet. “Evening, Cripps. I thought we might take a stroll underground.”

Beneath the yellow gauze, the Nosferatu’s teeth bare in something which is not quite a smile. One pocked eyelid flickers, vivid.

It isn’t long before you start to lose all sense of where you’re going in the angled, painfully narrow stone staircases and corridors; Mr Cripps, however, always seems to keep his sense of direction, and a curt snarl or phlegmatic snort from somewhere over your right shoulder helps you move in the right direction.

Somewhere far beneath the west wing, you find a colossal stone chamber, pillared and vaulted in the style of a Roman bathhouse, centred about a single, stepped, circular pool, now emptied of water, and the corners of your lips twitch upwards. The caretakers told you about this place; this hall hosted the Ventrue Grand Council in 1923, when the pool itself was filled, at astounding expense and with considerable difficulty, with a cocktail of blood siphoned from wealthy, noble and famous kine from across the globe. But Mithras, ancient and muddled, did not attend, and Lady Anne considered the gimmick a vulgar and distasteful one, and so seven years later the Council was held in Knightsbridge instead.

At the bottom of the stone pool, pieced together from what appear to be genuine, discoloured Roman tiles, is a crude mosaic of Mithras slaying a bull; another presumably costly and ultimately wasted gesture of flattery. The bull itself is hideous, crimson-eyed, its hooves thrashing out in helpless anger towards its killer. There can be no doubt it’s intended to represent the Sabbat.

You glance around the mithraeum once more, with mingled admiration for the grandeur of the place and contempt for its wastefulness. On the other side of the pool, Cripps idly kicks out with his hob-nailed boots, apparently immune to curiosity, and calls out, harshly,
“Doors.”

You glance back and note with interest that the heavy metal doors, fitted onto rollers, are equipped with thick deadbolts. Someone might blast through them with enough explosives, but they’d certainly provide a moderate obstacle to any attackers.

Suddenly, you catch it – incredibly faint, playing about your cheeks, the gentlest of breezes.
Of course, you think. When dawn finally comes, you’re standing alone, your enemies gathered around you…you’re nothing without an escape route.
“Stay here,” you tell Cripps. He shrugs, and returns to kicking dully at the nearest pillar.

The corridors below the mithraeum are sharply angled and short, and framed by low doorways that disguise sudden dead-ends and half-turns that loop back in on themselves; a simple but effective method of slowing down pursuers. You take your time, checking every corner, staying alert in case you catch that faint draught again, and finally, ducking through an inconspicuous threshold, you find yourself standing on the very edge of a precipice.

The ice well is huge – it’d have to be, of course – and impossibly deep; a slim spiral staircase winds down about the rim. Wealthy Ventrue used to import the ice from Scandanavia, you recall, and store up their particular brand of blood for when it was needed. Given time, you could probably restore it.

Keeping one hand firmly pressed against the cool stone wall of the well, you make your way downwards.

The drain itself is easy enough to find; sluices have been set into the floor of the well, allowing melted ice to drain away – you’d be willing to bet the tunnel goes all the way down to the Fleet river. The entrance is a little less obvious; after struggling for some time to push one of the enormous stone fridges to one side, cursing all the while your own sensible distrustfulness in not allowing Cripps to come down here with you, you finally manage to heave it a few inches to the right, uncovering the trapdoor.

Below waits a simple wooden ladder, half-rotted away. You hesitate, and then, with the utmost care, lower yourself down into the tunnel.

The secret passageway is earthy and crudely built; you have to keep your head bowed as you pass along it. Your fine shoes are, you note with irritation, fast becoming coated in filth and dust. The tunnel winds about, and suddenly turns upwards.

Your fumbling hands touch against stone; and, all at once, you’re gazing up at a very familiar, long, rectangular shape.

Carved crudely into the inside of the sarcophagus lid is a single word.

METHANE.

A shiver rises up in you. You frown, and turn back on yourself, gazing back down into the grubby darkness of the tunnel, trying to make out that filmy, greasy quality in the air.
How much of the gas, you wonder, would be needed in the air to set off an explosion? Not much, perhaps ten percent – so you pump it into your own escape route, and once you get out on the other side, you light a match, drop it down…and the Kindred chasing you meet a very quick end.

Your fingers find the catch in the sarcophagus lid; you slide it across, and scramble up into the cool night air.

You’re in Highgate Cemetery, you realise, the old Circle of Lebanon; through the low doorway of the tomb, you can make out the outlines of the brooding Victorian vaults and the famous black cypress tree. With a slightly raw creak that suggests the mechanism is beginning to fail, the sarcophagus lid slides back shut behind you.

The epitaph on the sarcophagus reads,

Donald Alexander Smith, 1820-1914. He that believeth in me, though he were dead yet shall he live.

Strolling back uphill towards Witanhurst, you have a good laugh about that.

You have an appointment in your diary to attend a kine charity ball tomorrow night; Trentbridge has asked that you attend. He plans to introduce you, at last, to the other members of the board of his bank, and hopefully get you onboard as a non-executive advisor. But, you note, Antonia has also left you a message concerning a scruffy-looking Kindred who came to your Whitehall office asking to see you, and who insisted he’d return again at the same time tomorrow…

A) I’ll attend the ball.
B) Kindred come first. I’ll head to Whitehall and see what this fellow has to say.
C) Neither: I’ll check in on the Wistman team personally instead.
D) Neither: I’d rather try to get in contact with one of the Princely candidates.
E) Neither; I’d rather hunt down this Mandrake instead.

And meanwhile...

A) With a little work, the mithraeum would look rather impressive. In a month’s time, we would technically be celebrating the anniversary of Mithras’ rule. Perhaps, with a little Toreador help, I could play host to something suitably patriotic – and, of course, invite our new Venetian visitor and some of the potential candidates.
B) With a little work, the mithraeum could make a fine stronghold. I’d rather put my efforts towards a few more tricks and traps, and making it habitable and fortifiable for some time if need be.
C) My funds are not limitless, and the house itself was costly; I’d rather leave it as is for now.

And remember, you can call (P) one of your contacts for information or advice.

laclongquan

Arcane
:yeah: 1st

EDIT: just for (P) alone, for now.

I suspect Oscar and the Nos keep surveillance on our place. I'd suggest calling him to say hello and ask whether it is so:
- Renew our contact with Nos network, through Oscar.
- Check to see if they do keep surveillance on our place.
- See the identity of the mysterious guest through their video surveillance.

Kz3r0

Arcane
A) I’ll attend the ball.
*About the kindred wanting to see us, what's his position, I doubt that any beggar can ask to see us, and if he's without credentials I would like for Eddie to receive him and see what he wants and who he is.

B)With a little work, the mithraeum could make a fine stronghold.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Nosferatu that doesn't spy???
Assume the nosferatu primogen already heard about the colors of the shoes that Sommers was using in the secret passage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom