Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Night Empire

laclongquan

Arcane
There's surveillance and there's surveillance. What we want to know if they cover us to fare-thee-well level or not.

And reopen Nos network contact is not a bad bargain, if you ask me.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd want D) to sound out our potential vict... err, candidate - but maybe there's a better way than go begging for audiences. A well placed phone call could make wonders. Scruffy dude... gangrel, sounds important too. I don't think it's the gangrel candidate himself though.

Fuck it; go A). Bloodbonding a few bloody rich bankers sounds fun.

But that sounds like something the "Mandrake" dude would watch out for, so maybe not...

B)
C)

I don't like using the cavern for a party (public reminder it exists, for the elders and public acknowledgment it exists, for the young ones).

A fortress with 2 exits?

I'm tempted to offer it as a nosferatu forward base... you know, a acknowledgement that we owe the nosferatu after the late unpleasantness - my Phone option ( @_@ ) is to tell Cripps to inform the nosferatu elder that as a obligation for the service he granted us by posting Mr. Cripps-watch-the-ventrue-snake and disposing of the late unfortunately mad Eanes, we are happy for them to have a base under our base (besides, they'd watch the exits and approaches and fortify it by themselves then - they can't do anything else, being who they are)

As long as appearances are maintained of course (no badgering the ventrue visitors on the upper floors) and we have freedom of movement to pass there at need.

The idea would tickle most nosferatu something fierce, principally because the place association with a Ventrue Methuselah and the Toreador clan.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Aren't you a bit quick to give away stuff, SCO? Our ghoul hitsquad to another vampire, our recently discovered treehouse fortress to the nosferatu...

Gentlemen, let me remind you we're here to consolidate our position, not undermine it. While it's certainly in our best interests to improve relations all around, there are surely still -options- for us to handle left and right. Should we ever find ourselves backed to a wall and in real need for a savior, then -sure-, we can think of using our hard earned assets in exchange for one. But for now? The hierarchy is in shambles, Kindred are looking left and right for someone to point them north our immediate concern is making ourselves important enough for the newly arriving, inevitable Prince to look at us and say 'yeah, he can stay a Baron'.

Lac was trying to show our hand with a single ace in it. Let's not throw away our second in the next round.

So I'm inclined to vote for B for now in regards of what to do in the immediate time.

As for the mithraeum, I'd rather we go with C. Either it's a safe and secret escape route or not; either a party or a work team makes the idea that something interesting is inside apparent.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
My rationale (if we don't want to spend money we have little of and maintain secrecy we will need) is that currently it is ONLY a escape route, and if "given away" it would STILL be a escape route (more - fortified), and get us a powerful boon in return.

You don't lose anything except a more accentuated nosferatu presence, but i assume they know everything anyway, considering who Cripps is.

Now, the intersection of the nosferatu and going against a Baron as goat has to be handled correctly - just find someone they dislike more than us.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
We in the camarilla, we are all in this together.

*snort*

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
As someone noted above I think we need to be very cautious with our kine dealings, especially if we get linked to the charity event (And it feels like we will). Cue Alex Jones and conspiracy theorist investigations into our origins, with lunatics screaming we're the head of the Illuminati, linked to politicians, civil servants, and international bankers. We already know we've been targeted and it feels like shit is going to hit the fan very soon. Yes, building our assets and dwindling alliances is important, but we need to be aware of what's coming and act to curtail it as well. I think it's time we put some resources towards investigating Mandrake, we can't afford to ignore the wildcard element this time, it was a fluke we survived the demon.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If we aren't doing anything with the kine VIP's, i believe it can wait until the next update, but i'm open to changing the first option to investigate the guy...

as long as you support my proposal about the indoor swimming pool.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Arright, I believe it's prudent we stick to kindred politics now, meaning B. Now, regarding the mithraeum, I say we renovate it, so A. Tradition is valued in kindred society quite highly.

Онега

Trying too hard to get banned
Queued
C) Neither: I’ll check in on the Wistman team personally instead.
- the scruffy dude can call us...

A) With a little work, the mithraeum would look rather impressive. In a month’s time, we would technically be celebrating the anniversary of Mithras’ rule. Perhaps, with a little Toreador help, I could play host to something suitably patriotic – and, of course, invite our new Venetian visitor and some of the potential candidates.
- who needs money and fortresses in this day and age...

(P) Call our ghoul chica and tell her to tell Scruffy Dude to call us

Where the fuck did we pick up Cripps of all people as a bodyguard? Nos sell info, for for Christ's sake...

Esquilax

Arcane
Now, the intersection of the nosferatu and going against a Baron as goat has to be handled correctly - just find someone they dislike more than us.

Fuck that. Witanhurst is ours, and if we let some filthy Sewer Rats run amok in our own home, how the fuck will people respect us? It's pathetic and completely dickless. Making alliances and becoming more involved in Kindred politics is our priority, but that doesn't mean we can just let people have their way with us with only some unspecified benefit down the road as payment. Play the game, but don't be a little bitch begging for table scraps either.

Anyways, I think it's right to be cautious about meeting those bankers with Humphrey tomorrow. The situation could be remedied if we were to have a few of our people posted to watch for anybody spying on us. We could get Mr Cripps to Obfuscate and follow Mandrake once he's spotted.

But even if there were no risk of Mandrake watching us, I wouldn't do it. We already have ample Kine resources, what we need is Kindred allies. Vogler has already given us a chance to see him already, I wouldn't put this meeting off any longer as it would alienate him. He's eager to see us in person, so let's see what he's got to say, what his goals are, and how he can be of use to us.

The second choice is a no-brainer: renovate the fucking place! It's expensive, but we need to start becoming a closer part of the Camarilla power structure because isolation will only breed contempt. Throwing a party for a Venetian Camarilla envoy in the former home of one is a good way of setting their initial suspicions at ease - and a move that our fellow Barons would likely be grateful for. Also, throwing a swanky party seems like a good way of making a few contacts with Barons who might not otherwise speak to us.

Building a fortress with lots of traps would be great if we were playing the vampire version of Cleve, but what we need right now are connections, not fortresses. Plenty of ways for people to kill us outside the vault too.

Therefore, BA

Erebus

Arcane
Could we get a reminder of what powers Anthony has ? From what I remember, he's decent with Presence and Dominate, but nothing else.

Anyway...

1 : A - Our influence with the Kine is one of our strength. Also, it might be a good occasion to investigate who's investigating us.

2 : C - We have better things to do than throw parties and, if a stronghold ever becomes necessary, chances are we're screwed anyway.

ironyuri

Esquilax makes good points all round. I'm not sure I want to vote yet, but I will tentatively indicate my desire to go with:

1. B - Meet the scruffy kindred.

2. C - Leave the mithraeum as it is.

3. (P) - Phone Antonia. Have her use our information networks (Home Affairs, government, media) to track down any information she can on A) Who the newspaper's "Mandrake" source might be and B) How the reporter is receiving his information. Edit**: Thank her for letting us know about the scruffy kindred, keep that bond working.

I went with 2. C, because, as grotsnik indicated in his update: the last time the mithraeum hosted a gathering of kindred, the whole thing was a garish white elephant that not only cost a mint, but ended up becoming a gesture of sycophancy to Mithras who was totally addled/suffering from a state of mental decline and infirmity due to his advanced age. If we're going to renovte the Mithraeum it should be to make it seem like there is no secret exit (the methane tanks are enough of a trap, so no need to build some huge elaborate trap system), and it would have to be to fit with Anthony's taste. There's no point renovating the mithraeum to show-off or to please the Venetian envoy, because, as someone above said, kindred love tradition- the only problem with the mithraeum is that it was historically a Rococo money sink that was left to fall into ruin in favour of something less tasteless. I don't know if renovating it would make Sommers respectable, or just give the barons another reason to think he's a foolish upstart with more money than sense.

I will willingly flop to 2. B if anyone presents a good argument as to why we should fortify it, rather than just use the methane tanks as our failsafe for the moment. I would also suggest we make the "as it is for now" our focus, since we can always renovate it later, perhaps once we know what kind of kindred the Envoy is. I really don't think, however, that Vogel will be impressed by a mosaic of Mithras slaying a bull... We need to straddle the line between appearing to be totally up our own arses (as Ventrue can be) and actually able to work with practical realities of kindred life circa 200x.

As for 1. B, as Esquilax says, there's a suggestion the kindred could be Vogel. Let's not dick him around. Humphrey can make us a silent member of the bank's board with or without our attendance at a ball, and if needs be, we can always use our charm and presence at a later date to win over any kine we need to forge connections with. Kindred politics should take priority at the moment, and of course, my phone vote for Antonia is a back-up so we don't let the necessity of hunting down this "Mandrake" slip from our grasp.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Where the fuck did we pick up Cripps of all people as a bodyguard? Nos sell info, for for Christ's sake...

They can also have wicked Potence scores...

3. (P) - Phone Antonia. Have her use our information networks (Home Affairs, government, media) to track down any information she can on A) Who the newspaper's "Mandrake" source might be and B) How the reporter is receiving his information. Edit**: Thank her for letting us know about the scruffy kindred, keep that bond working.

Now THAT is a good idea!

Gondolin

Arcane
B and C.

I'm willing to change my vote to fortifying the mithraeum if somebody comes up with a good reason.

Phone Antonia, as ironyuri said.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Fuck that. Witanhurst is ours, and if we let some filthy Sewer Rats run amok in our own home, how the fuck will people respect us? It's pathetic and completely dickless. Making alliances and becoming more involved in Kindred politics is our priority, but that doesn't mean we can just let people have their way with us with only some unspecified benefit down the road as payment. Play the game, but don't be a little bitch begging for table scraps either.

Anyways, I think it's right to be cautious about meeting those bankers with Humphrey tomorrow. The situation could be remedied if we were to have a few of our people posted to watch for anybody spying on us. We could get Mr Cripps to Obfuscate and follow Mandrake once he's spotted.

But even if there were no risk of Mandrake watching us, I wouldn't do it. We already have ample Kine resources, what we need is Kindred allies. Vogler has already given us a chance to see him already, I wouldn't put this meeting off any longer as it would alienate him. He's eager to see us in person, so let's see what he's got to say, what his goals are, and how he can be of use to us.
I don't know man, I think A for the first option is more beneficial to us, we'd reinforce our ties with Humphrey and increase our kine influence ( which one way or the other is our main strength), while at the same time keeping an eye on Mandrake with Cripps if he shows up like you suggested.

As for our underground pool... Both options are sound but we don't know how much dosh Tony has, and we probably already spent some good amount on the house and our secret ghoul squad.

laclongquan

Arcane
Our priority is reinforcing our powerbase, and prepare for the coming battle.

Let's look at things in reverse order:

Now we have a hidden entrance into our residence. While the idea of restoring this white elephant sounds tempting, this is neither the time nor place to do so. We have not enough resources for both expanding our combat force and feed this moneysink. so A is out. And invite Nos in is extreme dangerous. Do remember Nos are professional information sellers. With sufficient monetary reasons, the which many barons can give, they will sell our secret in a heartbeat.

And we are predicting an attack directly at our residence. It simply make sense to fortify the place anyway we can.

As to our main activity:

The Charity Ball is too much under spotlight. Considering our long time policy of hidden interference with Kine society, take part in this activity seem out of character. Coupled with the Mandrake probe, we have no incentive to do it and every reason to keep out of this event.

That scruffy Kindred might be a bit of a gamble. He could be emissary of a candidate, he might be emissary of southern baron, he might be in connection with Mandrake somehow. A stay at Whitehall could be profitable. If nothing else, we could check our power base one more time. This option also reduce the need to call Antonia.

Soooo. My vote is

BBBBBBBBBBB
BBBBBBBBBBB

(P) Humphrey Trentbridge. Since we decline to join his ball, best keep that bridge unburnt. We might need his service in days to come, out of political scene though he is.

Онега

Trying too hard to get banned
Queued
Maybe Scruffy is Donald Smith from beyond teh grave and Gangrel Prince nominee!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Smith,_1st_Baron_Strathcona_and_Mount_Royal

They can also have wicked Potence scores...
Yeah, but whats the story and why Nos.

Could we get a reminder of what powers Anthony has ? From what I remember, he's decent with Presence and Dominate, but nothing else.

Official, till it gets in the way =P

Anthony Sommers:

St: |
Dex: | |
Stam: | |
Char: | | | |
Manip: | |
Appearance: | |
Perception: | |
Intelligence: | | |
Wits: | |
Empathy: | |
Leadership: | | | |
Drive: | |
Etiquette: | | |
Firearms: | | |
Melee: |
Academics: | |
Computer: |
Finance: | |
Investigation: | |
Law: | |
Politics: | | | | |
Science: |
Technology: |
Merits: Political Ties, Coldly Logical
Flaws: Phobia (Intense, warfare-like violence)
Humanity: | | | | | | | |
Dominate: | | |
Fortitude: |
Presence: | | | |

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Along with the updated character sheet on Sommers we could perhaps get a better idea of his resources.

The secret ghoul squad was funded by .gov, no?

grotsnik

Arcane
Yeah, that don't seem right. Although actually, he's been a good deal more wily/scheming than socially manipulative.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Now THAT is a good idea!

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
First choice: B). A) needs to be avoided until we get more info about this Mandrake business - but since our ties with the Kine are our prime asset, also (P) Humphrey Trentbridge as mentioned above. Not sure would mentioning Mandrake as the reason of our absence motivate him to help investigate it, or just confuse him...

Second choice: C). As mentioned already, a vulgar display of power wealth can only get us in trouble, and even if we manage to pull it off with style, it's still drawing attention to ourselves (exactly what a "power behind the prince" should avoid). And if we need a goddamn fortress to survive, we've already failed at being a proper Ventrue - our defenses are made of Kindred and Kine, not of bricks and trapped corridors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom