Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's see a Civilization III from birth to Alpha Centauri

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Epic, go forth and prosper!

:monocle:

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
ScottishMartialArts said:
back to sportforredneck said:
Just reinstalled Civilization III because of this. To victory!

Bah! I started a Civ4 game :smug:

civ 3 is the worst civ (actually i never played 1) but it's still excellent and i spent the most time with it

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
MetalCraze said:
units have 4 stats instead of 1

I don't think that's quite fair. Civ3 didn't have the promotion system and as I recall individual units didn't have bonuses against other unit types or when fighting on certain terrain. For example, the basic Archer unit in Civ 4 has a strength of 3, but gets a 50% bonus when acting as a garrison, and a 25% bonus when defending a hill, and they get a first strike. Sure, they dropped the defense stat but the addition of situational bonuses and promotions arguably makes the system more complex. Now, Spearman are good against Warriors, Scouts, and Archers -- when in the open -- absolutely dominate against Chariots and Horse Archers, but will be defeated by Axemen or Swordsman. Likewise, Swordsman are good against most early game units, and are particularly effective in assaulting cities, but will get chopped to pieces by Axemen, and all other things being equal, will be defeated by Horse Archers. The way Civ3 handled it, units were either better suited for attacking, defending or reconnaissance, and that's it. Plus, with promotions, you can customize your veteran units to be good in specific areas, like forest fighting, or to emphasize their strengths, or to compensate for their weaknesses.

Also, Civ 3 units had 3 stats, and Civ 4 units have 2.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Units had area bonuses since Civ2.
Besides the defence stat there also was an armour stat. While defence stat meant damage the unit did to attacker, armour helped negate the damage of attacker. And yes - these stats meant that f.e. cannons had a massive attack (like 6-8) but were absolutely defenseless if not protected by better units (def. 1), yet armour helped them withstand stone age attacks more or less. Which is logical.
I pretty much raped enemies in Civ4 right from the early part of the game via horse rushes - just pump everything into the ++ to damage instead of any other lvl up ability - because attack values, as well as defence values with the lack of armour going down together with the strength which also represented health was stupid - enemies couldn't retaliate the next turn with any kind of a real damage, but I could.
LVL UP abilities is certainly a welcome feature nonetheless, but it would've worked better in earlier Civs.

Another thing I don't like in Civ4 is the size of the maps. Huge there is like medium of Civ2 or something.

Cassidy

Arcane
Insane Psychic said:
MetalCraze said:
It isn't 3D, units have 4 stats instead of 1 and there are zones of control.

Hah hah! Excellent!

Also, I heard that Civ IV hardest difficulty level is "average" compared to Civ III hardest one, though I never played the IVth one, for the reasons mentioned..

Now this thread is 90% complete.

:incline:

==============

Queers of War:

Ein Kodexreich, ein Volk, ein Skyway - Random shit music(according to Lyric Suite and most certainly according to skyway too)

:rpgnazi:

Heil Kodex!

lpsmacp4s01.jpg

The settlers continue to seek shelter from a band of enemy warriors chasing them.

lpsmacp4s02.jpg

Our first elite forces are equipped with modern weapons, giving away their crude machetes for finely forged swords and their leather underwears for chafing iron armors.

lpsmacp4s03.jpg

modern-warfare-xbox-360-pad-300x300.jpg

lpsmacp4s04.jpg

A dead end, but for who exactly? Knights are the most powerful combat units in the middle ages. They have the same defense rating of pikemen, can move faster than any other unit and are the last example of offensive units having an advantage over defensive units. From now on, a growing advantage of defenders over attackers will be developed as the civilizations advance in technology, and artillery will be for a time the only way to offset it. Then tanks and air power will change the nature of warfare forever, but that is a long way to go yet.

lpsmacp4s05.jpg

wii-fat.png

:rage:

The people of skyway are divided between bits of "love" and tons of hatred for the decline.

lpsmacp4s06.jpg

But now skyway's palace of rage looks like a real palace rather than a throne cave.

lpsmacp4s07.jpg

The armies of vitriol are at their limit. Building more cities will solve such problem, eventually.

lpsmacp4s08.jpg

lpsmacp4s09.jpg

lpsmacp4s10.jpg

lpsmacp4s11.jpg

Being ahead of everybody else in technology has its advantages. By selling tech to the right buyers, it is possible to maintain 100% investment in research for a long time.

lpsmacp4s12.jpg

BLOBERT'S The Art of Hatred, a massive Codex of warfare, must be more important than that amount of gold in Banal, Shit, Boring.

lpsmacp4s13.jpg

Another source of hatred against the obsidious traitors is erected.

lpsmacp4s14.jpg

Another horsenigger is taken down in Modern Gayfare 2 with popamole cover systems, leading to the expected reaction:

:codexrage:

lpsmacp4s15.jpg

Meanwhile, the newest wonder of Shit, Banal, Boring, begins to be written. It'll take more than one century for it to be finished. Thus:

tldr-41233.jpg

obama-nwo.jpg

K, enough deviation regarding ITZ is enough.

lpsmacp4s16.jpg

thermopylae.jpg

lpsmacp4s17.jpg

lpsmacp4s18.jpg

300-death-of-leonidas.jpg

Not all battles ended successful in this war. Casualties were heavy. The siege of Alexandria has failed, although the war proceeded, still undetermined in other fronts. The morale, driven only by hatred, remained untouched by the heavy losses. Better to die fighting than to live playing popamole and becoming a consoletard.

lpsmacp4s19.jpg

lpsmacp4s20.jpg

The primary target of the offensive, Thebes, the enemy capital, was conquered, but not without its price in blood.

lpsmacp4s21.jpg

First_Epic_rage_Guy_Comic_by_ActiveMobius.jpg

The counter-insurgency methods were simple and effective. By making the conquered join the rage, they'd be absorbed faster into skyway culture and realize that everything is shit and that the shit of tomorrow will always make the shit of yesterday look tasty, to the point that the shit stealth of yesterday's Oblivion becomes the standard to prove today's Ass Brotocol is shit.

lpsmacp4s22.jpg

Trannyopatra realizes the chances of Eshipt losing this war, although undefined, are bigger than the chances of winning.

worship_dees.jpg

VAE VICTIS!

General Bushkain of the skyway empire gives his answer.

Alexandria, the town that refused to fall

lpsmacp4s23.jpg

Another wave fails to conquer Alexandria. Why must such a small town be so valued by the enemy, while its capital is now under skyway control?

lpsmacp4s24.jpg

lpsmacp4s25.jpg

lpsmacp4s26.jpg

skyway, the Bro of Bros.

lpsmacp4s27.jpg

Thebes is now secure, while all the forces at such front advance to Memphis, crushing any weak machete warrior along the way. Not that it is much relevant as a tiny town anyway.

lpsmacp4s28.jpg

A hasty offensive is avoided, for it is better to allow for the rest of the forces to approach the city.

lpsmacp4s29.jpg

skywaygrad begins to compensate for the losses in this war.

lpsmacp4s30.jpg

Considering how close we are from discovering magnetism, it is no big deal. In fact, Most Alpha Centauri secret projects are on average more important than the average Civ 3 wonder.The best ones are, among others, Bach Cathedral, Sun Tzu the Art of War(SMAC's Command Nexus equivalent) and the Pyramids.

lpsmacp4s31.jpg

lpsmacp4s32.jpg

Victory has its price in blood, provided you don't play in the faggot popamole way and keep reloading every time you lose a battle.

lpsmacp4s33.jpg

And thus, the largest victory is achieved.

ME14.jpg
: All these cities are so shit that if there was more good lands to do so, building our own seem more economical. This world is full of shit.

lpsmacp4s34.jpg

Meanwhile, in the frozen south...

nazis.jpg

800px-Auschwitz_gate_%28tbertor1%29.jpg

kkkgify6gli7.jpg

tmvlrsdyx.jpg

Yiffinhell. The most infamous city to ever be built in the skyway Empire. A city of permanent ashes, as amidst massive bonfires, degenerates of all kinds are burned with no mercy. The extermination of the furfaggotry must be achieved, no matter the cost. HEIL KODEX!

:thumbsup:

lpsmacp4s35.jpg

Regular checks to avoid wasteful over-expending are necessary when research is about to lead somewhere.

lpsmacp4s36.jpg

Thebes was never considered a critical objective to defend. The lone spearman failed in his duty, for an enemy spy convinced him to buy Horse Armor DLC for $15.

lpsmacp4s37.jpg

Left undefended on purpose, so the wild niggers could support the Final Solution to the Furfag Question, Yiffinhell and its hated inhabitants are pillaged, raped and massacred, not necessarily in this order. Reports of bestiality involving horses raise public opinion to the growing desire of wiping out degenerates as fast as possible in the death camps of the frozen town.

lpsmacp4s38.jpg

lpsmacp4s39.jpg

Meanwhile, the war effort proceeds. One of the veteran units become the second elite forces of the empire, but Elephantine hasn't fallen yet.

lpsmacp4s40.jpg

lpsmacp4s41.jpg

lpsmacp4s42.jpg

Elephantine is ours... Banal. Shit. Boring.

Except now incense is very close from being accessible for the entire empire. With enough drugs, even the skyway citizens may relax, or rage in psychedelic manners that don't look like rage for those who aren't on drugs.

lpsmacp4s43.jpg

SL_Drive_by_by_aspen_untamed.jpg

:epic:

lpsmacp4s44.jpg

Even better news. The Knights of Diversity shall now scourge the land in the name of skyway, Kodexreich and elitism!

lpsmacp4s45.jpg

Wait... better to build barracks first.

lpsmacp4s46.jpg

lpsmacp4s47.jpg

The inhabitants of Grand River became so enraged that they sided with the skyway, and renamed their city as Grand Rage.

lpsmacp4s48.jpg

Meanwhile, preparations for the conquest of yet another Eshiptyan town were being made for a while, and now, another battle in this lightning campaign began.

lpsmacp4s49.jpg

lpsmacp4s50.jpg

Hatred conquers all.

lpsmacp4s51.jpg

One out of 3 supplies, no big deal in the long term.

lpsmacp4s52.jpg

lpsmacp4s53.jpg

Meanwhile, Alexandria proves to be, due to the random number generator being pissed off or something, a tough nut to crack. Perhaps it should be left for later. Meanwhile, the desert city is being stormed to the west, and on overall, this conflict is favoring skyway, so far.

lpsmacp4s54.jpg

Such is the front of this conflict now. Eshipt is doomed to defeat, one way or another, but meanwhile, the rest of the world is annoyed with skyway. News at 11.

Cassidy

Arcane
ScottishMartialArts said:
Why is Cleopatra brown? Bitch was Greek, yo.

I know 3d modelling wasn't at its heights back then, but even Fallout had talking faces that didn't give any doubts about the NPC genders.

scient

Augur
@Cassidy: When do you think you'll be starting your SMAC game? Will be putting out update to my unofficial patch in ~2 weeks. Also, if there are any particular bugs you're interested in getting fixed let me know.

Cassidy

Arcane
scient said:
@Cassidy: When do you think you'll be starting your SMAC game? Will be putting out update to my unofficial patch in ~2 weeks. Also, if there are any particular bugs you're interested in getting fixed let me know.

I'm note sure if it's even possible to make the AI capable of using supply crawlers to gather resources(and building boreholes more often too in worthless tiles so they can spam crawlers over the boreholes to gather energy and minerals - minus Gaians for storyline purposes), but that would add a really significant element of challenge to the game that can only be achieved by forcing yourself to not use crawlers, and that just sucks IMO because it's LARP.

Bugs-wise, only SMAX has a very shitty one that invalidates +4 Probe bonuses as far as I remember, but I'm not going to play with the expansion pack. I never really noticed any serious bugs in my playthroughs with SMAC.

scient

Augur
Cassidy said:
I'm note sure if it's even possible to make the AI capable of using supply crawlers to gather resources(and building boreholes more often too in worthless tiles so they can spam crawlers over the boreholes to gather energy and minerals - minus Gaians for storyline purposes), but that would add a really significant element of challenge to the game that can only be achieved by forcing yourself to not use crawlers, and that just sucks IMO because it's LARP.

Ya, improving the AI is on my list of things to do. Or at least get it to a little less retarded state.

Cassidy said:
Bugs-wise, only SMAX has a very shitty one that invalidates +4 Probe bonuses as far as I remember, but I'm not going to play with the expansion pack.

You mean one of these? Probably first one since 2nd is more of bug/exploit.

[BUG][SMAX] Enhanced probes (Algorithmic Enhancement) are now able to mind control bases/units normally immune due to high SE morale as stated in SMAX manual. For units it's purely the morale SE value so >=3 acts as if it were 2 (cost doubled). For bases, the value is calculated from morale SE and any base facility modifiers (Covert Ops: +2, Genejack: -1). If final value is >=3, it acts as if it were 2.

[BUG] If a faction's cumulative PROBE value is greater than 3 (SE morale, covert ops center) it is possible to "mind control" their bases when they should be immune. If the University uses SE Knowledge putting PROBE value down to -4, it would act as if it were 0 erroneously increasing "mind control" costs. After patch, PROBE values greater than 3 will always be immune to regular probes and values less than -2 will be treated as if they were -2.

Cassidy said:
I never really noticed any serious bugs in my playthroughs with SMAC.

Heh, well bug wiki/database says otherwise. That hasn't even been completely updated yet from forum post bug reports. Granted, not everything on there is a bug to original game play (some stuff is bug with modding features, etc). In v1.0 of unofficial patch I've fixed most of common crashes (see here for list of changes). Reason I ask when you'll be starting SMAC is because I'll probably have v1.1 ready in ~2 weeks.

Also, quality LP. :thumbsup:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Do not read that wiki/database of bugs. DO NOT.
You'll ruin SMAC for yourself. Seriously. It's better not to know all little exploits.

Quilty

Magister
Can somebody explain to me the appeal of Civ games? I really love Alpha Centauri and replay it often, but there's something about Civ games that just doesn't grab my collar. I think it may be the lack of lore/story that AC has, or the overall lighthearted approach (like the talking heads of major historical figures frowning at me and shit). I hate the combat in Civ games, but I can tolerate it in AC. I dunno, maybe I'm just immune to Civ.

MetalCraze

Arcane
SMAC has more varied units that never become useless (even the infantry can be crucial in sieges, whereas in Civs you move it to the background by the midgame). And the unit editor.
The game is just with character when it comes to gameplay elements - like each faction having its own goals and the way they do diplomacy. As well as the setting that is a planet which is alive and affects the gameplay.

Civ games just don't have that character, apart from maybe Civ2 which was led by Brian Reynolds, same as SMAC.

But they are good nonetheless. SMAC is just the best.

Cassidy

Arcane
Jimmy McDunce said:
civ 3 is shit

--------------------

The Ist Crusade at its end

lpsmacp5s01.jpg

300px-Armor-BloodDragon.jpg

This is the New Shit.

lpsmacp5s02.jpg

nazgul.jpg

Preparations are being made to take the world with hatred. The Knights of Diversity are now ready to Kill. Maim. Burn., I mean, to Banal. Shit. Boring.

lpsmacp5s03.jpg

180px-360_kid_druids.png

lpsmacp5s04.jpg

mass-effect-2-20090929105015668_640w.jpg

The greatest popamole is now built to remind the people of the skyway Empire about how things will be if they don't subjugate the world to the Imperial Decree over Tabletop, Board and future forms of Entertainment.

:codexrage:

lpsmacp5s05.jpg

lpsmacp5s06.jpg

Turmoil is the bread and butter of life in the Empire. Rage continues to turn towards the cities, even with the war. No war can funnel the entire hatred of their people. Not even the possibility of finally crushing Alexandria.

lpsmacp5s07.jpg

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

lpsmacp5s08.jpg

Razing.gif

And thus, another town is destroyed.

lpsmacp5s09.jpg

8523_battlefield_bad_company-v2.jpg

Evil Alliance... 360...

0312-OSING-Trololo_full_600.jpg

lpsmacp5s10.jpg

lpsmacp5s11.jpg

For victory, they shall burn.

lpsmacp5s12.jpg

attila_the_hun.jpg

lpsmacp5s13.jpg

The first time the Knights of Diversity attack proves to be a success, finally ending the long siege of Alexandria. The enemy lies on the brink of defeat.

lpsmacp5s14.jpg

fallout3_fatman.jpg

lpsmacp5s15.jpg

The technological race is not going to last at this pace for much longer, and everybody seems too broke to pay a worthy price for such technologies.

lpsmacp5s16.jpg

158-alpha-centauri-005-wigbu.jpg

Thus, the seeds of a civilization that would come only in the far future were planted.

lpsmacp5s17.jpg

Believed to be the largest army in the world, the Army of Hatred could still grow further.

lpsmacp5s18.jpg

lpsmacp5s19.jpg

Popamole late-game tutorials....

lpsmacp5s20.jpg

lpsmacp5s21.jpg

The jungle is being tamed. A jungle full of bugs can be cleared, but a popamole piece of shit can't ever be fixed.

lpsmacp5s22.jpg

No need to explain the reason of the rioting anymore.

lpsmacp5s23.jpg

Meanwhile, the mass assault on Thebes begins. The first Knights of Diversity didn't succeed, but unlike the swordmen, they retreated because they could outrun their enemies.

lpsmacp5s24.jpg

It was a brutal combat. Casualties were inevitable. The enemy attempts to use archers to sneak over the front lines.

lpsmacp5s25.jpg

That unit of pikemen is finally defeated. Thebes hasn't fallen yet.

lpsmacp5s26.jpg

Cowardly, they attack the wounded and weak. Meanwhile.

lpsmacp5s27.jpg

WH40KDesu.jpg

The death camps at Yiffinhell proceed at full capacity, unhindered by nigger raids.

lpsmacp5s28.jpg

lpsmacp5s29.jpg

I saw a Crabat yesterday. Horrible Creatures, I avoid them whenever I can.

lpsmacp5s30.jpg

An attempt to crush the archers fail, but they shall be defeated.

lpsmacp5s31.jpg

:thumbsup:

lpsmacp5s32.jpg

lpsmacp5s33.jpg

And thus, the fate of Eshipt was sealed. With only a handful of towns, their defeat and the end of teh Ist crusade were now only a matter of time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom