Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about Lacrymas' homebrew fantasy setting where paladins are eunuchs

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So there are now gods/regulating force? And the being they pray to is a okay with granting them divine access to powers to individuals who castrate those who dare falk in love instead of just kicking them out of the order? Sounds like your settings divine regulator is pretty sick and could use some external regulation too.

So long as every pair or parents has only one child thats a net loss for the population. Or are the priests so stupid in this setting they cant do math. Also for real world examples you don't need anything more than a tax penalty or financial incentive to get most people to go along with it world rather than some church pannel decding if you get to or not.

As for women barbarians apologies if I was mistaken but did you not say somewhere in this thread only women, specifically those who lost a child, can be barbarians? Because that is really stupid and needs no argument to prove it.

But if you want arguments your telling me fathers that have lost a child cannot feel the same pain as a mother?
Yes, there is a "regulating" force. It was there from the beginning because priests can only cast specific spells up to a certain spell circle, not whatever they want. And there's an extra external force that most people (except a tiny fraction of the priest-adventurers, and even they just have hunches) think is of divine origin. I've never said anywhere the churches allow only 1 child, I've said you need a permission to have a baby. And yes, only women who have lost a child can be the Barbarian class. People in this society think mothers have a special bond with their children (like irl, who would've thunk it), so only they can feel the perpetual, pained anger against the injustice of the world needed to Rage.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
we have collectively decided as a society that drug addicts make society worse

Wrong. Politicians decided that and they suffer no consequence for the awful regulations that they can impose in everyone. Gun control, womb control, drug control, nothing of this authoritarian BS will never work. Drug addict is a problem, but you will not solve the problem by authoritarian means. Portugal decriminalized drugs and is now far more safer.

only women who have lost a child can be the Barbarian class.

You wanna change barb class? Why not make it more epic, like picking the most mythological descriptions of Berserkers and trying to translate it to in game mechanics.

Bara

Arcane
Yes, there is a "regulating" force. It was there from the beginning because priests can only cast specific spells up to a certain spell circle, not whatever they want. And there's an extra external force that most people (except a tiny fraction of the priest-adventurers, and even they just have hunches) think is of divine origin.

Again this regulating force is a okay with the mutilation of the human bodies as a punishment then instead of just withdrawl of their power or kicking them out of the order? Sounds like your regulating force is a total jerk or just granting power willy-nilly morality be damned. Or if its not a sentient force its pretty much a stand in for arcane power.

I've never said anywhere the churches allow only 1 child, I've said you need a permission to have a baby.

Your misunderstanding my point about familys having only one child. I could understand the church requiring permission for having more than one child but not for having even one. You must understand that for a population to be stable you need more than one child for at least some families.

So sensibly there should be a blanket approval for every family to have one child at least so either the church dosent teach math or just loves needles bureaucracy and has to approve everything in thus setting. Or belives in and activley practices eugenics.

And yes, only women who have lost a child can be the Barbarian class. People in this society think mothers have a special bond with their children (like irl, who would've thunk it), so only they can feel the perpetual, pained anger against the injustice of the world needed to Rage.

So only mothers have a unique relationship with their children that fathers never will and can never experience the same pain a suffering as women at the death of their child? Thus only womem can draw upon supernatural rage as their pain is the only true one?

Lacrymas

Arcane
The churches might decide one day the population should shrink and they stop allowing any more children. Yes, even one per woman. There are no nuclear families in this setting. There's no marriage, so people can organize their living arrangements however they want. The most common way is for 3 adults (1 man, 2 women) to live together because that mirrors the trinity of the churches, but it's not official or mandated in any way. The people want to rebel after the ban on children? Great! Here's content and another campaign for the setting.

So only mothers have a unique relationship with their children that fathers never will and can never experience the same pain a suffering as women at the death of their child? Thus only womem can draw upon supernatural rage as their pain is the only true one?
The people in this setting believe this, yes. Who knows, there might be a schism of thought down the line and men might be allowed to be Barbarians as well. The beauty of a changing setting. That's even more content.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
So the entire culture is free love and dosent have a concept of father figures?

It still comes off weird that an culture recognizes no special attachment between fathers and sons and that there are no male barbarians. Unless there are some but they only get reconized as warriors?

As for the church their pretty stupid about population control but if its meant to be used as a plot point allright I guess.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It depends on what you mean by "free love". Heterosexual love? Yes, pretty much, as long as there are no misbegotten babies. Fathers are incidental basically, there's only the biological function of fathering. There are no male Barbarians as in the class because there is a special place/institution/sisterhood which teaches women the techniques of the class. The population control might be a plot point somewhere down the line, everything can be a plot point because there's nothing keeping the setting static. Only the appearance of arcane magic is a no-no because it simply doesn't exist in this world.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I should have the possibility and freedom to use drugs recreationally in a safe and controlled environment (at home), but I don't. You would say "but some people won't able to control themselves and it might become a problem".
we have collectively decided as a society that drug addicts make society worse
you can go live in the congo and do all the drugs you want
And these people have collectively decided that having more babies than is reasonable given the resources available also makes society worse, i.e. leads to scarcity and food/water shortage.

You do understand that in a quasi-medieval setting this is unenforcable?

Lacrymas

Arcane
You do understand that in a quasi-medieval setting this is unenforcable?
Three things about that. All people have grown up with the idea you need permission to have children, so the idea self-perpetuates. Then there's the threat of the authorities finding out about your illicit baby (they have quite a few years before they're an adult). Raising a baby is a process so trying to hide it until it becomes an adult is kind of hard, the neighbors can rat you out as well. And third, most people live in small villages across the desert where there is fertile ground (mostly a Nile type situation), there is a capitol where there are a lot of people, but they have organized their shit together and are fairly confident in their ability to enforce this rule. Are some babies going to slip through the cracks? Sure, but that hardly matters, no law can be enforced 100% of the time.

I might make it so that that is where dwarves and halflings "come from" - illicit births. Maybe not all the time, but they only come from illicit births. I'll see though. That would conflict with the rule of taking your baby away to make it a Paladin. It's a work in progress. If it's human, they take it to become a Paladin. If it's not, you keep it but you are a social pariah your entire life. Maybe.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
1960 called, it wants its population bomb propaganda back

owb866pdtvp21.png

Admittedly, the projections could be proven wrong as the EU simply absorbs the entirety of Nigeria's growth through immigration, but it's still a massive net gain globally :M

Cael

Arcane
What do you think of arcane magic in the warhammer universe and pnp systems lacrymas ?
I'd say it's fine because they embrace the potential for overwhelming power. I read the Rise of Nagash recently and everyone knows arcane magic is freakishly overpowered and wants more of it. Nagash wanted to take over the world the moment he saw the black magics of the dark elves and nobody could stop his advance outside of new technologies he wasn't prepared for. This is what all arcane magic settings will eventually lead to, it requires just 1 psycho. Magic in this setting being inherently dark and coming from the plane of Chaos is just a reflection of arcane magic in general. People (only Storyfag actually) accuse me of being a pessimist to the extreme about this, i.e. that mages WILL *inevitably* become tyrants regardless of anything, but I don't and have never believed in the inherent goodness of people, I've seen enough random and pointless cruelty, so I'm not naive enough to not expect at least someone to be a psycho. Maybe (I'm actually sure) most people don't have desires to torture or subjugate their fellow men, but it only takes 1 when magic is involved. That is the last nail in the coffin for me regarding arcane magic, it only takes 1 bad egg regardless of how much control the society exerts or tries to exert.
"I read this fantasy book, and I am tarring all black men as rapists, murderers and criminals, and I am genociding them from all my games. One black man is all it takes to destroy everything!!!!!!oneoneone!!"
- Lacrymas

Cael

Arcane
As for women barbarians apologies if I was mistaken but did you not say somewhere in this thread only women, specifically those who lost a child, can be barbarians? Because that is really stupid and needs no argument to prove it.

But if you want arguments your telling me fathers that have lost a child cannot feel the same pain as a mother?
HIs justification is that only women who have lost children can have enough rage to Rage. It is in this thread.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
China has been enforcing this for years, and in areas where information access is basically pre-medieval.

With modern technology and modern ultra centralized state and the fact that most people worship the state nowdays. A medieval society just can't enforce the same level of control. For eg, ""banning"" guns across the an entire continental country is far more likely nowdays than banning crossbows on medieval periods.

Codexians.

This creatures got expelled from Limbo by being too chaotic. His setting is too lawful for Codexians.

Vatnik Wumao
Your point being? Do you think it's unachievable in a fantasy setting, if that's somethin the ruling party what's to achieve?
Unless you design your fantasy setting to function akin to a modern state, then yes. If the local community doesn't subscribe and self-enforce these policies, then the central authorities have no way of knowing when such a crime is committed.

Codex Year of the Donut
The idea that such laws could be enforced before the modern militarization of police is also highly suspect.
Do you know what happened when farms were foreclosed during the great depression in USA?
Farmers and their neighbors would show up with guns at the auction and the original owner would bid pennies on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_auction_(foreclosure)

Yeah, goodluck trying to take away people's children or their pregnant wife without a militarized police force to enforce the law.

Delterius

Arcane
its just a curse that stretches across the lands

ppl have to go to the church to pray to god for permission to have a kid

and mysteriously they only have 1 child, sometimes none

kablooey i solved all issues

Lacrymas

Arcane
Considering some of the guards are paladins with magical powers, and the general population don't have any weapons (let alone guns in an ancient setting), that militarized police force would be easier to come by than it looks at first glance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom