Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Life by You - Paradox Sims

deuxhero

Arcane
If it's even remotely decent and isn't filled with literal groomer content, it will hurt EA by taking sales from their cash cow. That alone would be incline.

I haven't played it since like Sims 2, what groomer content are we talking about?
Breast removal scars, pride flags on children's clothing, pronouns, gays outnumbering heterosexuals in marketing material, internal rate of gay characters being 10%.

Arryosha

Learned
I wish there were a Sims competitor that would focus less (or not at all) on acquiring crap and designing your house and more on creating a deeper social and psychological simulation.
The whope POINT of Sims genre is that people are so fed up with "creating a deeper social and psychological simulation" in real life that they want to just sit and aquire crap and design their dream home.
I don't think they're trying to escape social and psychological simulation. I don't even know what that would mean. It seems more likely they're trying to escape the fact that they don't have the stuff they want in real life.

But regardless of why people play the Sims, the genre is billed as a life simulator and sometimes a social simulator, but it has very little of that. Actual social simulation is underexplored in gaming generally and I think would be interesting. In so-called "social sims," the simulation amounts to little more than repping up a single reputation stat with NPCs by giving them gifts. The Sims goes a little deeper, but not by much. Dwarf fortress probably does it best, but it is not the focus. My fantasy game is one that involves exploring the nuances of personal relationships--learning about NPCs who have a complex psychology and history, building trust, resolving conflicts, and so on. Maybe what I am after is just a completely different genre that would not attract Sims players, or maybe it is just a different kind of escapism that would attract Sims players for the same reasons. They would be escaping real-life relationships to have fantasy ones. But for me, I think the attraction is more about learning about the world by tinkering with simulations.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Now that I looked more closely on the splash screen they did the whole "black guy & white women" thing and two lesbians.

They really know how to cater to modern audience.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Fh2ESMMWYAAYTkT.jpg

StrongBelwas

Cipher
Patron
I like bringing back the Sims 3 style of open world, and I hate to sound like a graphics whore, but that aesthetic is the worst possible combination of real and cartoon to look like crap.
Also I feel like real conversations instead of gibberish misses half the point of Sims, unless they have a very fancy system.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't expect it to look great but this looks worse than Sims 4... which is over five years old by now.

And what they've shown of the gameplay looks exactly like Sims, but with worse animations lol.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Singles Flirt Your Life Up from 2003 looks better then this game.

This looks like a single player version of Second Life.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I wish there were a Sims competitor that would focus less (or not at all) on acquiring crap and designing your house and more on creating a deeper social and psychological simulation.
The whope POINT of Sims genre is that people are so fed up with "creating a deeper social and psychological simulation" in real life that they want to just sit and aquire crap and design their dream home.
I don't think they're trying to escape social and psychological simulation. I don't even know what that would mean. It seems more likely they're trying to escape the fact that they don't have the stuff they want in real life.

But regardless of why people play the Sims, the genre is billed as a life simulator and sometimes a social simulator, but it has very little of that. Actual social simulation is underexplored in gaming generally and I think would be interesting. In so-called "social sims," the simulation amounts to little more than repping up a single reputation stat with NPCs by giving them gifts. The Sims goes a little deeper, but not by much. Dwarf fortress probably does it best, but it is not the focus. My fantasy game is one that involves exploring the nuances of personal relationships--learning about NPCs who have a complex psychology and history, building trust, resolving conflicts, and so on. Maybe what I am after is just a completely different genre that would not attract Sims players, or maybe it is just a different kind of escapism that would attract Sims players for the same reasons. They would be escaping real-life relationships to have fantasy ones. But for me, I think the attraction is more about learning about the world by tinkering with simulations.
Hmm. NPCs with a deep consciousness, history, engaging in dynamic interactions. What game coming out late 2023 and early 2024 does that? No walking simulation attached but you can't afford to be too picky.

skipper

Barely Literate
There was a livestream. And conversation system is monstrous and will be scraped soon, if they know what's good for them.
Every time when you initiate a conversation, you need to pick a dialog option with direct speech, wait while your character utters it and then wait for an answer. At this point a group chat sounds like madness. They also want to entrust moders with writing new dialogs. Sims moders! No seriously!!
rntX9Ll.jpg

ji2p7xI.jpg

cwAXptV.jpg

z7TwSfI.jpg

chQxd4k.jpg
Also, it seems there is childhood background, but no childhood.
riiYmII.jpg

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
There's a reason I prefer Menu based social sims with more "Actions" and less dialogue, and a reason the original Sims games had nonsense dialogue. There's just no way you can make interesting and more importantly non-repetitve conversations without full on chatbots.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Now that I looked more closely on the splash screen they did the whole "black guy & white women" thing and two lesbians.

They really know how to cater to modern audience.

You can literally sniff this shit out these days on the first intros or splash screens. Once the initial foulness is detected, all one has to do is flush and walk away. It's amazing how much money and time you can save by keeping your senses on high alert.

Norfleet

Every time when you initiate a conversation, you need to pick a dialog option with direct speech, wait while your character utters it and then wait for an answer.
Ah, yes, having to hold inane conversations. Exactly the sort of thing I play vidya games to not do. Now YOU can be the NPC having the Mudcrab Conversations.

I saw a mudcrab the other day. Horrible creatures, I avoid them whenever I can.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
To be fair, this girl's Sims mods are pretty decent as they expand the mechanics and actions you can take, adding a lot more dyamic interactions between sims.

This dialog system here looks more like it fits into an RPG rather than an open world "social simulation" sandbox. Extremely weird decision.

It's just gonna make people wanna play loners who don't interact with others, as social interaction is too exhausting. That's almost like real life, man!

skipper

Barely Literate
This dialog system here looks more like it fits into an RPG rather than an open world "social simulation" sandbox. Extremely weird decision.
I think they were unable to reproduce simlish. That's why they gone for those awkward dialogs.

To tell the truth, it's looks like they are running on a tight schedule. They probably hoping to get into the gap before Sims 5 promotion campaign. If Maxis suddenly will start promoting Sims 5 before LbY's release, it'll nuke it into the ground. Maybe that's why visual part of the game looks so unfinished.

StrongBelwas

Cipher
Patron
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/an-update-on-life-by-you-release-date.1680458/

Greetings everyone, we have a statement from our Deputy CEO about "Life By You":

"Hello everyone,

After much consideration, we regret to announce that we have decided to retract Life by You’s Early Access release date, previously set for June 4th. This was not an easy decision, especially since we understand the anticipation and excitement that many players have for the game. However, we believe that additional development time is needed.

While we would have preferred to commit to a new release window, we believe it is more prudent to hold off while we plan ahead, rather than committing to a new date that we cannot be certain to meet.

We will provide more information as soon as possible, until then we want to sincerely thank you for your continued support and patience.

Mattias Lilja, Deputy CEO of Paradox Interactive "

:deadtroll:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
YbguiCJ.gif

Hello everyone. Here is a message from our Deputy CEO, Mattias Lilja :

" Hi all,
Sadly, we’ve decided to cancel the release of our long-awaited life sim Life by You. This was an incredibly difficult call to make and is a clear failure on Paradox’s part to meet both our own and the community's expectations. We realize this raises some large questions; here we hope to shed at least some light on why we opted to cancel, rather than delay as we communicated earlier.

Life by You has been in the works for a long time and we’ve been very excited about the promise and the potential of this game. Our hope was always that it would be able to leave a mark in this exciting and new genre for us. That’s why we’ve opted to delay it twice, to give the studio and the game a fair shot at realizing the potential we saw. For each delay we made, we've seen incremental improvements, which in hindsight may well have led us to focus on details rather than the whole picture.

A few weeks back, we decided to hold off on an Early Access release in order to re-evaluate Life by You, as we still felt that the game was lacking in some key areas. Though a time extension was an option, once we took that pause to get a wider view of the game, it became clear to us that the road leading to a release that we felt confident about was far too long and uncertain. This is not to say the game has not shown any promising qualities; Life by You had a number of strengths and the hard work of a dedicated team that went into realizing them. However, when we come to a point where we believe that more time will not get us close enough to a version we would be satisfied with, then we believe it is better to stop. This is obviously tough and disappointing for everyone who poured their time and enthusiasm into this project, especially when our decision comes so late in the process.

At the end of the day, our job is to release games that are fun, interesting, and challenging for our players, and our every decision should be taken with that purpose in mind. When we get that right, we earn our pay. So, how do we ensure we don’t find ourselves here again? Honestly, there are no real guarantees. Games are difficult to get right, and we’ll definitely make mistakes, which, as these things go, always become painfully apparent in hindsight, but still shouldn’t reach this kind of magnitude regardless. We have to take a long and hard look at what led us here and see what changes we have to make to become better. In the end, our mission remains the same, and we’ll continue to take whatever steps we need to do just that.

Sincerely,
Mattias Lilja, Deputy CEO of Paradox Interactive "

ADL

Prophet
If the game wasn't fun and they didn't see a path forward, this was the right call to make. Glad they did this instead of shitting out another Cities Skylines 2.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
There's also several other Sims clones in development, so they'd be releasing against competition that probably delivers better products.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom