Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Life by You - Paradox Sims

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
At the end of the day, our job is to release games that are fun, interesting, and challenging
:what:
Wait, so that's what p-dox is trying to do?

StrongBelwas

Arcane
Patron
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...ox-interactive-to-close-down-paradox-tectonic
Paradox Interactive has decided to cease further operations in the wholly owned studio Paradox Tectonic (Tectonic) in Berkeley, California. The studio has since 2019 led the development of the game Life by You, whose release is canceled, and employs 24 people.

This is difficult and drastic news for our colleagues at Tectonic, who’ve worked hard on Life by You’s Early Access release. Sadly, with cancellation of their sole project we have to take the tough decision to close down the studio. We are deeply grateful for their hard work in trying to take Paradox into a new genre, says Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive.

Andnjord

Arcane
Damn, I only heard about this nonsense a couple of days ago and it has already crashed, burned and been deleted from existence by Paradox. Talk about speed running through what little value this game had to offer. :incline:

duke nukem

Augur
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...ox-interactive-to-close-down-paradox-tectonic
Paradox Interactive has decided to cease further operations in the wholly owned studio Paradox Tectonic (Tectonic) in Berkeley, California. The studio has since 2019 led the development of the game Life by You, whose release is canceled, and employs 24 people.

This is difficult and drastic news for our colleagues at Tectonic, who’ve worked hard on Life by You’s Early Access release. Sadly, with cancellation of their sole project we have to take the tough decision to close down the studio. We are deeply grateful for their hard work in trying to take Paradox into a new genre, says Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive.
24 people? Sounds very low for a open world life simulator.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Life by You looks like a mod for Cities Skylines 2, but it only highlights the ugliness of that game even more. This game had moderate sense at a time when only Sims 4 was available on the market, but now, when there are potentially more, simply better clones, including InZoi, there is no room for Life by You. Moreover, after the failure of CS2, Paradox seems to have started to look at the quality of what it releases (especially in light of the future failure of Bloodlines 2).

I consider this a step in the right direction. They seem to have acquired some humility.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the game wasn't fun and they didn't see a path forward, this was the right call to make.
the problem is, this is the call we ALL did the very moment it got announced.
I could definitely see a market for a game much closer to Sims 2.
More focus on gameplay, character development, etc. and less on just cosmetics and weird antics.

But I guess this game was not that, either. Or just in a horrible state all-around.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
A lot of the marketing they did, like you can turn off the life sim aspect any time to go full dollhouse, if say a rainstorm will ruin a wedding or the wedding is on a mountain and your character gets too tired walking up it, sounded incredibly shit.

Developers need to understand that you should either make a 90% dollhouse or a 90% life sim but not 60/40 either way.

In any case feel bad for Rod Humble but this game was dogshit and it deserved to be cancelled. Also stop making everything in Unity you tools.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7208887303224606720/

Today I am devastated to announce that for the second time in two years, my game has been cancelled, and I've been laid off. And this time it was a real shit show, ya'll.

First and foremost, nothing expressed here represents the sentiments of Paradox Interactive or Paradox Tectonic. These are my thoughts and my thoughts alone.

I've known for some time that we might be getting shut down. We were actively working on a hyper-moddable life sim called Life By You. An indie answer to the aging IP that is the Sims but instead focussed heavily on UGC.

And as far as it goes, we were doing *extremely well.*

I cannot share specific numbers, but I can say that we had an internal metric we were aiming for that had been approved, and that we exceeded that number by a significant portion. We also got a thumbs up a few weeks before launch.

Then two weeks before launch we were told we wouldn't be launching. And just now that we've all lost our jobs. We were only informed of this via a public announcement.

We were not told why. Instead we spent a month in purgatory, and did everything we could to prove to them we were worth launching, including things like finding potential buyers or suggesting cutting ties and going indie. We heard virtually nothing back.

I was warned against writing anything about this experience. That it may hurt my future career or even that legal action could be taken against me. I have chosen to ignore these warnings.

To be honest, I have guesses about what happened. And while I can't conjecture, I'm sure you have guesses too. As a business owner, some of them are understandable, but many of them are not. We were a strong team on a strong project ready to launch to a strong audience.

Really I'd like to be much more fire and brimstone about it. I'm pretty pissed, not gonna lie. But I'm trying to stay kind and respectful. So instead I'll say: this industry has become a place in which you can deliver more than expected, have AA money behind you, and still have the rug pulled two weeks before launch.

At this time, I will not be looking for another full time job. Instead I will be uplifting all of you dear people and attempting to make this industry more sustainable for all with the Indie Game Academy and the hashtag#indierevolution

Everything you've seen of me so far is just 25% of my power level. Just wait until I go Super Saiyan.

That said I may be open to part time or advisement work for the right project. Hit me up.

Support your fellows. Be kind to each other. See you in the revolution.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Everything you've seen of me so far is just 25% of my power level. Just wait until I go Super Saiyan.
famous last words

seriously tho, that sounds toxic as fuck. what was the reason they were canceled if anybody can guess?

Lucumo

Educated
famous last words

seriously tho, that sounds toxic as fuck. what was the reason they were canceled if anybody can guess?
Imagine believing someone who would write shit like that. He sounds like a 13 year old throughout. But hey, you can hire him for "advisement work", after all, he has only been fired twice in two years with the project he was working on being cancelled.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
This is marvellous, among other shit from paradox annual report they said this wothless crapcost them 19 200 000 $. And cancellation resulted in a 90% of anuual loses for company. I suppose that "We wuz SURPRISINGLY cancelled!" had a long and glorious story behind it.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
This is marvellous, among other shit from paradox annual report they said this wothless crapcost them 19 200 000 $. And cancellation resulted in a 90% of anuual loses for company. I suppose that "We wuz SURPRISINGLY cancelled!" had a long and glorious story behind it.

Something tells me the official report was fabricated to hide the actual losses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom