Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
it still has gameplay, even if it's thin, ergo it's a game
Visual novel is much more accurate.
it's not, the story in a visual novel is told fluently. Even in visual novels with gameplay you could cut out the gameplay and have a coherent story told. You can't do that with DE because the pace of the story is determined by you controlling the character and interacting with the environment. Adventure game would be closer.

MerchantKing

Learned
because the pace of the story is determined by you controlling the character and interacting with the environment. Adventure game would be closer.
There are visual novels that do that. Look up True Love ~Jun'ai Monogatari~.

jackofshadows

Magister
DE is a great game on its own terms if we forget the whole RPG-affiliation thing. You should actually try it instead of shitposting about it.

I have tried it when it came out. The gameplay, even for an adventure game, is paper thin. I played adventure games before, I grew up on them. The game has an amazing art direction and setting and that is its main strength, but as a game it was extremely boring to me. Stuff like Kings Quest, Little Big Adventure, Heart of Darkness are like 100x more fun because they actually have gameplay. The problem is not that DE doesn't have combat, the problem is that it doesn't have rich gameplay at all.
Well, I don't disagree. Especially when I myself classify DE rather as an adventure game with RPG elements. Gameplay isn't rich indeed, its main strength is worldbuilding and the writing in general. That makes or breaks the experience for one.

What I don't understand is how people can still have wrong expectations for a game like that. That's stupid.

Vic

Savant
because the pace of the story is determined by you controlling the character and interacting with the environment. Adventure game would be closer.
There are visual novels that do that. Look up True Love ~Jun'ai Monogatari~.
that's because japanese visual novels evolved from adventure games. the older ones resemble adventure games much more

Vic

Savant
We hashed this out ages ago. Disco Elysium is a gamebook (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebook) that does neither branching story nor complex gameplay mechanics. It's the worst of both worlds and it only skates by on its aesthetics.

It can't be a gamebook by its very definition:

A gamebook is a work of printed fiction that allows the reader to participate in the story by making choices.

It's an RPG with RPG-lite gameplay.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
DE is a great game on its own terms if we forget the whole RPG-affiliation thing. You should actually try it instead of shitposting about it.

I have tried it when it came out. The gameplay, even for an adventure game, is paper thin. I played adventure games before, I grew up on them. The game has an amazing art direction and setting and that is its main strength, but as a game it was extremely boring to me. Stuff like Kings Quest, Little Big Adventure, Heart of Darkness are like 100x more fun because they actually have gameplay. The problem is not that DE doesn't have combat, the problem is that it doesn't have rich gameplay at all.
Well, I don't disagree. Especially when I myself classify DE rather as an adventure game with RPG elements. Gameplay isn't rich indeed, its main strength is worldbuilding and the writing in general. That makes or breaks the experience for one.

What I don't understand is how people can still have wrong expectations for a game like that. That's stupid.

Could be because the creators advertised it as the greatest RPG of all time

jackofshadows

Magister

But you aren't a fool, right? Or you a commie who condems one's desire to turn some profit?

Vic

Savant
Combat isn't the only gameplay in an RPG you faggots. When you are not in combat in proper RPGs you talk to NPCs, buy items in shops, explore maps, etc.

DE has RPG gameplay except for combat, so just pretend you are playing a pacifist

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Combat isn't the only gameplay in an RPG you faggots. When you are not in combat in proper RPGs you talk to NPCs, buy items in shops, explore maps, etc.

DE has RPG gameplay except for combat, so just pretend you are playing a pacifist
In most RPGs, combat is by far the most rules-heavy part of the gameplay. Disco Elysium strips that out, but doesn't compensate by beefing up the mechanical complexity of the other parts. Mechanically, it's probably the shallowest RPG-adjacent game that's ever been made.

jackofshadows

Magister
Case in point: instead of smashing some allegedly bad aspects of DE people yet again resort to RPG affiliation bullshit. Tiring.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Case in point: instead of smashing some allegedly bad aspects of DE people yet again resort to RPG affiliation bullshit. Tiring.

Thought the bad aspects were obvious. Even RPG affiliation aside, the gameplay is lackluster. The world is small with barebone exploration and many choices are pointless and flavor-only, as they lead to the same thing.
The main gameplay in DE is reading, which isn't really gameplay. Take any adventure game like Kings Quest, Little Big Adventure or Heart of Darkness, it blows DE out of the water.

jackofshadows

Magister

Thought the bad aspects were obvious. Even RPG affiliation aside, the gameplay is lackluster. The world is small with barebone exploration and many choices are pointless and flavor-only, as they lead to the same thing.
The main gameplay in DE is reading, which isn't really gameplay. Take any adventure game like Kings Quest, Little Big Adventure or Heart of Darkness, it blows DE out of the water.
And what is the gameplay there? Thinking? About what to do? Anyway, in DE you're thinking about the whole mess, and the gameplay is helping the player to sink theirsef in. Maybe particular puzzles were better in old titles than the stuff we see in DE but that's the extent of what I can give the old similiar games really.

Vic

Savant
The main gameplay in DE is reading, which isn't really gameplay.
reading as you say is not gameplay. the main gameplay is dialogue and exploration. dialogue is fun because it has dice rolls based on your stats, and exploring is rewarding too because you will get different endings depending on what quests you do

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Lowest possible troll attempt more like. I get the genre purists drama and all, like I implied earlier, some people are just too autistic about it and that's fine to me but DE is a great game on its own terms if we forget the whole RPG-affiliation thing. You should actually try it instead of shitposting about it.
DE isn't even a game. A game has gameplay. DE does not.
Ci6cRbg.png

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I'll agree with butter here, when you strip out combat, a very important part of RPGs, the least one should expect is a beefing up in other aspects.

I mean for fucks sake, you play a copper, and there is 0 puzzle/problem solving, what the fuck.

They should've taken cues from the masters and games such Police Quest and Quest for Glory on how you make a proper RPG/Adventure hybrid.

In the end, the most sad part for me with DE was that the elements of something great were there, setting, art style, writing, music (the Insulindian Miracle is still in my head)

but without any meaningful gameplay aspect they threw all potential into the garbage bin.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

RPGCodex GOTY 2019. It's been decided. Don't be a sore loser.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom