Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

__scribbles__

Educated
complaining about the lack of commentary on cRPGs on the "cRPG blog" that hasn't written about cRPGs for over a year :kingcomrade:

MerchantKing

Learned

Denim Destroyer

Learned

Reddit RPG Games​

The problem with cRPG fans is that many of them have devolved into RPG Gamers: they run after everything that's new instead of playing, mastering and modding what is historically best and inexhaustible.

They are like those flies that buzz from one new novel to the other, yet have never read the classics.

Thus do they lack reference points, historical context and good taste.
Immensely ironic coming from someone who simultaneously claims to be the arbiter of knowledge over the entire CRPG genre while in turn never having played anything released before 1994.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spilling into social commentary is definitely something to be expected these days. And it's nice to see her address the decay of the hobby at hands of midwits.

The only part I disagree is the "toon" thing. I found it's just a regional thing. Some people use it, mostly in the UK, as a synonym to "avatar". And not out of maliciousness, but just because that's the language.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
You don't rename what came first based on what came after.

Bitch has never heard of World War 1 I guess.

It is divine and arcane spells, not cleric and mage spells. Because Clerics are not the only class that can cast divine spells and Mages are not the only class that can cast arcane spells.

I'm not surprised that Lilura still hasn't played the original Wizardry. Maybe he'll get to it after his authoritative 25th Baldur's Gate playthrough.

View attachment 45547
That’s not the original wizardry, that’s the DOS version you clumsy American jackass

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
She updates or writes new articles all the time, but for some reason often refuses to put the actual date on them.
Of course she won't update the date. This would be recognition of the fact the article wasn't already perfect in its previous version.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Btw, one reason for the proliferation of subreddits is that game devs stopped writing manuals for RPGs. A consequence of the fact that games' development is now completed a year or two after the so-called "release date".

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
some people are fucking autistic about them genres.

if you dont have genres, you dont have boundaries, retard

because of fucks like you, in the end there will only be THE GAME, which has red dead redepmtion, skyrim, and a movie rolled into one. That is where we are heading
I actually miss the old days of Amiga/Atari games where there was a lot of experimentations and not that many pre-defined templates, with games like Midwinter, Carrier Command, or even North vs South not being afraid to experiment a lot when it came to mixing game elements together.

hqdefault.jpg
midwinter_01.png
29925-north-south.jpg

Mauman

Learned
Spilling into social commentary is definitely something to be expected these days. And it's nice to see her address the decay of the hobby at hands of midwits.

The only part I disagree is the "toon" thing. I found it's just a regional thing. Some people use it, mostly in the UK, as a synonym to "avatar". And not out of maliciousness, but just because that's the language.
What, are they going after the term toon because it's close to troon or something else that's stupid?
I liked her JA 2 guide, why are you guys so mean to her?
820.jpg

Welcome to the Codex.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
some people are fucking autistic about them genres.

if you dont have genres, you dont have boundaries, retard

because of fucks like you, in the end there will only be THE GAME, which has red dead redepmtion, skyrim, and a movie rolled into one. That is where we are heading
I actually miss the old days of Amiga/Atari games where there was a lot of experimentations and not that many pre-defined templates, with games like Midwinter, Carrier Command, or even North vs South not being afraid to experiment a lot when it came to mixing game elements together.

hqdefault.jpg
midwinter_01.png
29925-north-south.jpg

Yeah but those game work so well because they are so abstracted

Lilura dreams of a world where she could be regarded as an influential critic, where she'd be quoted in publications and devs would be forced to pay attention, some kind of videogame--I'm sorry, computer game--Pauline Kael. I'm not talking about whether she deserves the comparison or not. If you grew up in the 90s reading monthly magazines, this world seemed possible. Sure, games journalism was already a joke, but it was still a space where people who could both write and analyze games seriously could gain recognition for it. The idea of a new class of videogame--damn, there I go again, I mean computer game--critic writing for a prestigious publication doesn't seem farfetched if the medium had kept a certain trajectory.

Instead, the reality of the matter is that games devolved and the discourse is dominated by attention seeking performers and algorithms. Those who adapted to the video format are living off of Youtube, which she hates because she's an intellectual and probably extremely self-conscious. She hates that people who are less smart and educated than her are making money from legions of admirers, simpletons that they may be.

You have forums, of course, but forums are ephemeral and low status. They also mess with the minds of people who are sensitive to criticism. If you're a contrarian intralexual in the 21st century, you usually have one recourse, that is to self-publish a book and get people to buy it just based off word of mouth. It's worked for some. Given the kind of things she writes, though, perhaps a book wouldn't be the best format. A new publication, a website dedicated to high quality reviews, perhaps. That would mean collaborating with other people.

Blogs are the midwit trap, they're the refuge of forum posters who think they're too important for the places they come from. No one will remember your blog. The internet is a mass grave of AUTHORITATIVE blogs by frustrated intellectuals. Once your little online circle disperses, you'll be forgotten forever.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just because no one talks about the blog doesn't mean people aren't visiting it.

Of course dead internet theory could be at play here.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Until xe entirely removes the SEO, which severely degrades the quality of the blog posts, xe can never be a serious critic.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
To no surprise this article has been criticized more than praised. And all criticisms of the article have been weak.

? To my knowledge, this is the only place that discusses her blog. Maybe /vrpg/ on occasion (threads very likely started by someone here posting anonymously)

Yeah, we should really stop. Xe doesn't need more of an inflated self worth anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Couple the overall clunkiness of Darklands with its kludgy RTwP combat system on barely-scrolling battlescapes (which should have been turn-based) -- how can it be recommended in 2023?
Wonder if she's going to keep updating that year every year.
It has been updated for 2024. :M

AwesomeButton

Patron
She doesn't even need to update it manually. Anyone can google what to paste into the blogpost to output the current year :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom