Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware List of games that don't work on Windows 10?

should i upgrade to windows 10?

• yes

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • no

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • the n word

Votes: 23 31.5%

• Total voters

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Unless you know of a well-researched and peer-reviewed study of which drivers best support classic gaming then anecdotes is all we got, Mr. line-by-line reply.

I wrote *useless* anecdotes, mr. Can't read and comprehend properly. There exist plenty of useful anecdotes. Your anecdote contained no information, and was therefore, completely useless.

A person who reads your anecdote, as it is presented, leaves with no more knowledge than before reading it. It's tautology.

My point was it depends on what you own and what you've tried to run, there's no actual consensus that ATMDI cards are "better" for old games or nVidia.

WTF is an ATMDI, an incredibly forced shit like 3DFXNVDA?
cool_story_bro.png

It's all just bullshit on an internet forum.

Most is, yes. Do you have to contribute to it? That's the question.

The only thing I actually care about is do I have trouble running old games on Windows 10? No I do not. Sometimes I have to google a fix or find a fan patch, but that's PC gaming for you.

Precisely. And PC gaming thrives on good anecdotes. So people who are looking helpful information, don't need to read "oh I had some issues with a generic brand, an undetermined time ago with some unnamed games" anywhere.

If you have actual information, it's very much welcomed. If you don't, you're just adding to the noise.

Bricker

Educated
W10 is better for old games. That's so easy to run them on W10. Just search in Google, how.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Well, there's no shortage of useless anecdotes in it.

Unless you know of a well-researched and peer-reviewed study of which drivers best support classic gaming then anecdotes is all we got, Mr. line-by-line reply. My point was it depends on what you own and what you've tried to run, there's no actual consensus that ATMDI cards are "better" for old games or nVidia. It's all just bullshit on an internet forum. The only thing I actually care about is do I have trouble running old games on Windows 10? No I do not. Sometimes I have to google a fix or find a fan patch, but that's PC gaming for you. The drive to own an old XP machine or switch to WINE is basically nil when everything runs fine. Even the examples listed in this thread are pretty much all fixed by new digital versions or fan solutions, proving the point.

I personally dont think graphics drivers are the main problem. I've seen issues however with video codecs and image formats, which are often simply abandoned or changed. For example I once forgot to deploy the dlls for the jpg format - on Windows 7 the program was running fine and displaying jpgs, on Windows 10 jpgs were blank. I think for some reason Windows 7 found a dll and this problem would rear its head on a new OS. When such problems went unnoticed in the W95 or XP era, it should be no surprise that they won't work any longer.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I want win10 but I don't wanna pay and my win7 license is not upgradeable :/ I have win10 on my laptop and it is good for that. For my main PC I still use win7 because some games were not compatible at the time. But now they are.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't own many games, but the only one I haven't been able to play on Windows 10 is Alpha Centauri. Luckily, I have another computer that runs Windows 7. If I wanted to, I could see what the fuck is wrong with it and fix it online. I just don't feel like messing with it. It runs perfectly on my Windows 7 rig anyways.

Windows 10 is head and shoulders better than Windows 8, that's for sure. Other than that one thing with Alpha Centauri, I really don't see a reason not to upgrade.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I don't own many games, but the only one I haven't been able to play on Windows 10 is Alpha Centauri. Luckily, I have another computer that runs Windows 7.

The gog.com version of Alpha Centauri works flawlessly on Windows 10, fwiw.

JDR13

Arcane
I had the same concern before I upgraded, but to be honest, I think I've had even less issues with Win 10 than I did with Win 7.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Found out today thanks to the wife that Zuma's Revenge requires a registry edit to work in "high res mode" on Windows 10. Surely this makes Windows 7 essential.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you want to install old games with 16 bit installers in 64 bit Windows check winevdm which runs 16 bit applications in an emulated CPU with a call passthrough to 64 bit calls. This is good enough for running a lot of 16 bit applications (not just installers). You can even install it system-wide with a provided .reg file so you can doubleclick on any 16 bit exe and run it normally.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If only MS could just give a tiny bit of a shit about backwards compatibility.

Compared to Apple and Linux devs they do and by far, but i fear it is mostly the old guard like Raymond Chen who care about keeping things working while the newer programmers seem to prefer making bloated text editors out of Chrome that completely ignore all UI technologies that Windows itself provides and call it a win.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If only MS could just give a tiny bit of a shit about backwards compatibility.

The vast, vast majority of PC games from 30+ years worth of releases work on the latest Windows but yes, let's attack Microsoft for their horrible stomping out of old game compatibility.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I've yet to encounter anything that doesn't run on Windows 10 just as well it as it did on Windows 7.

True, I even played late 90s games like Interstate 76 without issues. They did actively sabotage their own Virtual PC software though. That program works perfectly on 7 and 8 but can't be used on 10.

Last edited:

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
i haven't tried dgvoodoo but i have tried alot of ddraw.dll and none of them worked

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
dgVoodoo2 is basically the magic touch that makes tons of older games playable.

In general my process to try and make old games run is:
  1. If the game uses DirectX 7 or older and it cannot use 32 bit mode, i put dgVoodoo2's DLLs (either the D3D DLLs or the Glide DLLs, depending on which API the game was primarily written against - some games do support D3D but D3D was an afterthought and Glide was the main focus).
  2. I use RTSS or Dxtory or whatever framecapper works to limit the framerate to 60fps since pretty much every game from the 90s to the early 2010s has broken physics, collision, game logic, etc with high framerates (and i'm certain that the only reason more recent games do not have issues is because we do not yet have the hardware to run them at 200+ FPS).
  3. For games released around midlate-2000s when dualcores were new and programmers had no idea about threading yet tried to thread, i set up core affinity to one or two threads (depending on the game).
  4. For games that crash or have weird stability issues, use Windows' compatibility mode with a version around the game's release.
That covers 99.9% of the games out there. For that 0.1% there are usually custom patches and if it is some obscure game that *really* want to play, i might bother to try and write my own patch.

visions

Arcane
Age of Wonders 1 doens't work here

GOG, disc or Steam version? GOG version works for me on Windows 10 (haven't tried the others on Win 10) but in order to use 1920x1080 resolution I have to use the AoWCompat.exe file that comes with it, using the normal exe, 1920x1080 is bugged.

I was able to play through the campaign once with the Keepers but on my second Keeper run I ran into a crash on one of the Highmen maps. Had to install this fan patch: https://github.com/int19h/aow-patch

Haven't had any problems after that.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Windows 10 is pretty shit, and I say this as a Windows 10 user. The UI is absolutely fucked and features I regularly used on Windows 7 have been removed or broken. Just as an example, on Windows 7 I often created desktop shortcuts by searching for what I wanted to shortcut in the start menu and just dragging and dropping it on the desktop. Simple and easy, right? It is, but for whatever reason you cannot do this at all in Windows 10.
The current settings and control panel are also pretty shit. The new settings don't show half the things that were in the old control panel you saw on Windows 7, but the old control panel still exists too. Issue is, they have removed basically half the stuff from it that was in it on Windows 7. So for legacy fixes that people talked about on some forum in 2010 using Windows 7 don't work on Windows 10 because they removed that option in the old control panel and the new Settings UI doesn't have any equivalent for that option either. It's a colossal pain in the ass.
It's also rather buggy. I have many problems with input language and keyboard settings. For some reason when I boot up CS:GO I get 2 extra input methods, Estonian (United States-International Keyboard) and US English keyboard which both do the same thing. Normally it should only have 3 input methods, English UK, Estonian and Japanese IME.
I will give MS one thing, though, they finally implemented a dark UI. This is a godsend for NEETs up late at night.

However, for purely games you don't have much of an excuse to not be using it. I have yet to play any games that are totally broken on Windows 10, usually just looking up the game on PCGW will have your issues sorted. Which is to say, my experience is the same as it was on Windows 7.
Funnily enough I have had less problems on Windows 10 than on Windows 7 with a few games. In Gothic 2 on Windows 7 the FMV cutscenes always crashed my PC so I had to skip them. I had no such troubles on Windows 10 despite having the same install.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom