Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware List of games that don't work on Windows 10?

should i upgrade to windows 10?

• yes

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • no

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • the n word

Votes: 23 31.5%

• Total voters

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
AOW1 is a masterpiece. I play the others too but that first one is the only one that lets you build insanely OP heroes that can destroy entire armies by themselves. It is more tactical the new way, but I kinda miss that old way sometimes...

Rzorrz

Novice
Trade Empires. It runs but very slowly and some of the graphics are borked. No compatibility mode helped, not even an XP VM worked (turns out the specific 3D api it uses isn't supported by Virtualbox). I still hope to get it working again some day.
If I were you I would check dgVoodoo (http://dege.freeweb.hu) . It has helped me a lot with very old stuff like WipeOut. It supports stuff since DX1-7 for 2D operations, and all older versions of D3D and Glide. I haven't found anything I wasn't able to run using it.
Nice, that worked.
Teach me. I'm trying everything around that game and it just won't work, always displaying "Unable to locate/load data file: unit.{}"

Win7, already tried messing around with dgVoodoo, no idea what to try next. I remember I was able to make Trade Empires work in 2017 without any secondary software and now I can't recall what was needed to make it work.

EDIT
Out of frustration, I decided to dig through my disc collections. I found the original Trade Empires physical disc (so far I was using it's virtual copy) I bought back in 2002. Installed it out of sheer curiosity.
The game works now just fine, with no alternations. No idea what the hell, but hey, as long as it works!
Still, would like to know just in case what you did to make it work with dgVoodoo

Last edited:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
The troubles I was having was that the game was just running very slowly and had weird artifacts on some of the graphics. Just dropping in the dgVoodoo wrapper fixed the issue. However looking around I can see a unit.{} file in the game's data folder. Make sure you have it too, else it seems your install is borked.

Funnily enough I tried running the game just recently and since I upgraded my graphics card since then it again is unplayable due to slowness. DgVoodoo does nothing this time so I'm going to try to connect the old card in parallel and manually switch to it to play TE.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Try some older versions of dgVoodoo (e.g. from late 2019) because it looks like Dege decided to rewrite parts of it in Direct3D 12 and it has been very glitchy since then.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Lol at people suggesting using Win10 for the "security reasons".

My tale: I bought a laptop back in 2012. It had Win8 pre-installed, and it was such a grotesquely awful OS, crashing to BSOD every fucking time and then refusing to launch without using the restoration point that at some point, in a feat of rage, I smashed my fist at my laptop and thus killed the hard drive. I bought a new one, installed Win7 (32 bit one, hell knows why), disabled updates at once - and voila, it worked flawlessly up until the summer of this very year when I decided to update BIOS. That would be eight years of continuous work, and the biggest trojan I ever caught was fucking Itunes when some of my relatives asked me to transfer some shit to his Iphone. All this time I was using some shitty free antiviruses like Avira or Panda, and not a single time I run into some creepy-crawly viruses, like those which delete your files, steal money from your accounts or block your screen with the gay nigger banging banner.

How about not clicking on every syphilitic link you come across and not flashing your personal data at every corner?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The issue was most likely the crap preinstalled on your laptop, normally Windows 8 is *very* fast - much faster than Win7. Here is a boot up video from an old laptop from 2008 i had at the time where i made a clean installation of Windows 8. A laptop i bought in 2012 came with Win7 and i replaced it with Win8 too and the performance was much better there too.

Win8 was the fastest OS Microsoft made this side of the millennium, which makes sense since they wanted it to run on the weak ARM devices of the day so they had to optimize it a bit. Sadly this performance didn't last long, Win8.1 was already a bit heavier and Win10 is basically unusable on that same 2012 laptop where Win8 was lightning fast.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Lol at people suggesting using Win10 for the "security reasons"

You are a moron and security involves a lot more than viruses and a lot of people get viruses from legitimate places. Also your story was boring as well as stupid.

hpstg

Savant
Lol at people suggesting using Win10 for the "security reasons".

My tale: I bought a laptop back in 2012. It had Win8 pre-installed, and it was such a grotesquely awful OS, crashing to BSOD every fucking time and then refusing to launch without using the restoration point that at some point, in a feat of rage, I smashed my fist at my laptop and thus killed the hard drive. I bought a new one, installed Win7 (32 bit one, hell knows why), disabled updates at once - and voila, it worked flawlessly up until the summer of this very year when I decided to update BIOS. That would be eight years of continuous work, and the biggest trojan I ever caught was fucking Itunes when some of my relatives asked me to transfer some shit to his Iphone. All this time I was using some shitty free antiviruses like Avira or Panda, and not a single time I run into some creepy-crawly viruses, like those which delete your files, steal money from your accounts or block your screen with the gay nigger banging banner.

How about not clicking on every syphilitic link you come across and not flashing your personal data at every corner?
Exploits don't work this way for a very long time now. If you have an unpatched OS, data can move literally under the OS' nose, and you would be none the wiser.
Having a patched kernel, and an updated browser is half the battle. Windows 10 are actually very good at this, and so are most Linux distros and Apple.

hpstg

Savant
SerratedBiz
The first paper my search turned up.
OS-level Attacks and Defenses: from Software to Hardware-based Exploits (tu-darmstadt.de)

Since I know you most likely won't read it unless you're an autist of the highest caliber, let's say that you don't need to install anything, there are open services to the web in every single computer, and not only via the browser, because otherwise nothing works. That means that data blindly sent to your system either directly to a software/os service, or via the browser, can basically compromise everything.

Your best protection is an up to date OS/kernel, an up to date browser from a reputable vendor with a solid engine, and the best blocklist you can find on the hosts level.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
hpstg

I may not be enough of an autist to read a paper on a subject I'm completely uneducated about, but I'm smart enough to pull up the search feature and run 'windows' through it.

In the context of this discussion, in which the statement 'Windows 10 offers more protection than Windows 7 does' has been loosely presented, I would expect to find something in this paper in the lines of 'Windows 10 has fixed this exploit that was previously present in a Windows 7 OS'.

I didn't find any such affirmations. You may be an autist a wizard of the highest caliber, enough that maybe you can point out where it's written in the paper. Meanwhile, I found these other results which I found to be highly amusing.

While Microsoft released a patch to enable kernel-space randomization in the context of page tables for Windows 10 [231], they did not implement any leakage resilience features, and hence, the location of the randomized page table can still be leaked by means of information-disclosure attacks.

extended this work by exploiting the memory deduplication feature of Windows 10 to create counterfeit JavaScript objects, and corrupting these objects through rowhammer to gain arbitrary read/write access within the browser.

Everyone is aware that OSs are fallible, that's not the discussion. The question is whether a user is at risk, at this time, solely based on the fact that they continue to use Windows 7.

Last edited:

hpstg

Savant
hpstg

I may not be enough of an autist to read a paper on a subject I'm completely uneducated about, but I'm smart enough to pull up the search feature and run 'windows' through it.

In the context of this discussion, in which the statement 'Windows 10 offers more protection than Windows 7 does' has been loosely presented, I would expect to find something in this paper in the lines of 'Windows 10 has fixed this exploit that was previously present in a Windows 7 OS'.

I didn't find any such affirmations. You may be an autist a wizard of the highest caliber, enough that maybe you can point out where it's written in the paper. Meanwhile, I found these other results which I found to be highly amusing.

Everyone is aware that OSs are fallible, that's not the discussion. The question is whether a user is at risk, at this time, solely based on the fact that they continue to use Windows 7.
I think that the easiest way to grasp this is by understanding that software is a living thing. As exploits develop, so should countermeasures, the kernel, etc. If you're stuck with an OS that does not receive updates, you're at a disadvantage by default.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Windows 10 is pretty badass. You can get an Ubuntu setup on it through a WSL2 and the Windows 10 Store. It's fucking badass since I can just load up the terminal and not worry about anything. Everything works well so far, not had an issue; although, I guess I had a bit of an issue with Docker, but then I switched to Singularity and it ran everything like a charm. Not sure what the difference is, and I really don't give a shit. As long as one works over the other, I'm pretty fine. I have better shit to worry about than that.

Anyways, not sure why anyone would hesitate to change over from the legacy versions. Windows 10 is by far the best version of Windows yet. Only issue, again, is getting Alpha Centauri to run on it, but really, that's not a major issue anymore. I hardly even fucking play video games, and I played enough of it during my thesis that I'll likely not need to revisit it for the rest of my life since my backlog is ridiculous.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Anyways, not sure why anyone would hesitate to change over from the legacy versions. Windows 10 is by far the best version of Windows yet.

Every time I push people who say Windows 10 is the devil to tell me why it's always the "Microsoft is spying on you!!!" stuff they answer with. I don't really think there's another reason, or at least not one that's pervasive.

TheGoldenOne

Novice
Some games :salute:are really not compatible with w10?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
https://beattheodds.bet/

Last edited:

asdf

Barely Literate
The troubles I was having was that the game was just running very slowly and had weird artifacts on some of the graphics. Just dropping in the dgVoodoo wrapper fixed the issue. However looking around I can see a unit.{} file in the game's data folder. Make sure you have it too, else it seems your install is borked.

Funnily enough I tried running the game just recently and since I upgraded my graphics card since then it again is unplayable due to slowness. DgVoodoo does nothing this time so I'm going to try to connect the old card in parallel and manually switch to it to play TE.

I have the same problem.
Rly low fps, graphics broke at the end of map (window of playable ground stays on black screen - end map). I try to use dgvoodoo, but didn't help in game. In menu works fine now.
Maybe I choose wrong options?

I install game from physical CD.

My graph is GeForce GTX 750 Ti, Win10.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
I have the same problem.
Rly low fps, graphics broke at the end of map (window of playable ground stays on black screen - end map). I try to use dgvoodoo, but didn't help in game. In menu works fine now.
Maybe I choose wrong options?

I install game from physical CD.

My graph is GeForce GTX 750 Ti, Win10.
Maybe, try fiddling with the dgVoodoo settings and hope for the best. It did work for me on my old GTX 750, it's only on the new 1650 that it stopped working. If all else fails then installing Win7 as a dual boot should work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom