Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
popularity
Take for example 50 codexers.
45 of them played and liked Fallout.
40 of them played BG2.
30 of them played PST.
25 of them played Arcanum
24 played Witcher
20 played DA
19 played PoR
17 played Wiz7
4 played Aethra Chronicles.
3 played Prelude to Darkness
2 played Disciples of Steel
(Numbers are very arbitrary)

But PtD better game than DA and BG combined.
Any questions?

NecrosD

Novice
felipepepe - gotta go with fowyr on this one don't think doing one on popularity would work more than half the codex probably hasn't played anything older than Fallout so list will fail and too many shitty newer games would make the list. What we could do is maybe do one by year like MMXI was doing but exclude any RPGs that are talked about it the Popamole/Consoletarded subforum

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But the whole point of this is a "list of must play games for newfags", a newcomer should start with Fallout, not with PtD... If he had already, just keep following down the list. There is a reason why Fallout, BG, PS:T and Arcanum are on the top, they are easy to get in and rewarding.

I see no profit in going full hipster and scaring away every person that wants a "good, first RPG" with a obscure "love it or hate it" game like Disciples of Steel, that won't even work without DOSbox... just let the guy play Fallout, from there he can say if he find the combat good or slow, if he wants more combat or more quests, if he likes to solo or user parties, whatever...

One thing is "not scaling to your level" the other is having a shitty learning curve. :P

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Fowyr said:
My personal list, included only games what I played myself, may forgot several titles and don't mention hybrids except Bloodnet. You almost can't be wrong with the first part of this list.
Fowyr said:
Compiling list "best of the best" was not my target. I picked solid and good games from various subgenres, not without flaws, of course. Similar list from one FAQ greatly helped me to find several good games.
But this is may be interesting.
A prelude am I to better players, o my brethren! An example!
Fowyr said:
Do it. I made my list mostly because threads "recommend me some game" was popping left and right and I'm starting to develop blister on my fingertips typing same titles.
Order of games almost arbitrary. I just picked titles from the file where I note completed games.

And if some newfag can't stomach simple game such as EoB or Wiz6 - fuck him and horse he rode in on.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I still think is a good idea, but needs to be properly done to work. Same way we did the "top 5 rpgs of the last decade", a "most popular RPGs of the Codex" could be a reference for new players.

But we'll need it to be a popular thread to work, planned and sticiked from the start, perhaps even with a call to action, like the "tag BR slaughter" notice, so everyone would take part on it.

Does this idea amuse our codexian overlords, Crooked Bee, Jaesun, JarlFrank, VentilatorOfDoom and SuicideBunny?

MMXI

Arcane
I still think is a good idea, but needs to be properly done to work. Same way we did the "top 5 rpgs of the last decade", a "most popular RPGs of the Codex" could be a reference for new players.

But we'll need it to be a popular thread to work, planned and sticiked from the start, perhaps even with a call to action, like the "tag BR slaughter" notice, so everyone would take part on it.

Does this idea amuse our codexian overlords, Crooked Bee, Jaesun, JarlFrank, VentilatorOfDoom and SuicideBunny?
That sucks. Do you know what would happen if we had a list comprising of the Codex's most popular games? Those same games would become even more popular. Forgotten games stay forgotten, popular games become more popular.

My thread works differently though. If only a handful of people have played a certain game but they mostly praise it then it can go on the list. Therefore it doesn't matter how widely known a game is, all that matters is that there are enough people wanting the game on there and not enough people wanting the game off there. It's also dynamic in that games can be added, removed and then added again later if more people chime in with their opinions.

I haven't worked on it for a while though. I'm trying to think up a new way to structure the list, with screenshots representative of different aspects of each game (sort of like this image on Wikipedia for Pool of Radiance). I also want to provide links for more information, such as Wikipedia and MobyGames entries, as well as unofficial patches and the like. Links to Let's Plays in the Playground would also be a good idea.

I also want to tag each game with labels such as "turn-based", "real-time", "single character", "party-based", "open world", "dungeon crawler", "blob", "tactical" etc. so that people can pick out the games that best suit them.

The Round Peg

Educated
Quest for Glory. Five games in the series. Adventure-RPG hybrids. One-of-its-kind. IMO, the most consistent RPG from the 1990s.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
CC doesn't have more heart than CT, one of CC's defining features is that it forgot the heart aspect and just went for spiritual/emotional depression, imo. One of the designers says "loss" is the theme of the game, but I think that was just an excuse for dropping the ball in some ways, such as when Kid gets sick and leaves the party, and then when/if you get her back, she's just a personality-less zombie, the inter-character development has completely stopped and it feels like something is missing. There were far too many characters in that game for them to build meaningful character development after a certain point.

Anyway, regardless of which you prefer, you should definitely have her play Chrono Trigger, and also one of the first two Gothic games.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Chicks usually dig Final Fantasy. Might try out FFX, or maybe FFVIII since it's basically a love story. She might like the Fable series too, so give it a shot.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I am currently having a very interesting experience; my girlfriend decided to move in with me and after she saw all the old school RPGs I have she got curious and decided she wanted to try them as a way to getting to have something fun to share (besides all the rampant sex and whatever ;) ) but since she is 10 years younger than me, and used to modern graphics and whatever I wanted to pick some stuff that had great gameplay even if the graphcs were a bit dated...
Since she is into anime and all that stuff I decided to start her offwith some JRPGs and lighter RPGs, I have basicaly have a sort of list in mind fo her, these are not the "Best of Best" or my favorites by any means, of course I like them all, but I have learned to check her responses to them, if she thinks they are too complicated, slow or repetitive I try something different for the next game...so far we have done 5 in the last year (the first 5 on this list) but I would eventualy like her to try them all...once again before you get your panties in a bunch, remeber this are not my favrite games , ut games I am recommending to a new RPG gamer....oh and I like console game too so tough if you dont think they are "real" RPGs

Quest for Glory 2 (the new VGA Version, really well done and highly recommended; she likes adventure games so this proved to be a great introduction)
Lunar Eternal Blue (fun, uncomplicated game but with surprisingly deep combat, great anime sequences to keep her happy, short and sweet)
Shin Megami Tensei Nocture (the quintessential JRPG with weird storyline, lots of combat and beautifuk cel shaded graphics....oh and for those that think that these games are linear adventures games with lots of combat, it actualy had over 5 endings)
Fallout (I almost screwed up with this one, she didnt like the older graphics and the vats was a bit too much of a change from the realtime or staright uo turn based games before)
SKyrim (She caught me playing and was transfixed by it...I wanted her to try Morrowind first, but in the end it is going great. She spends more time trying out outfits for her character and trying out mods than actualy playing but it is fun for us both, her playstyle and choices are completly diferent than mine and we have some great talks about the game and its lore...whoever says that its whackamole is correct, its as good as wackamole gets to me, and has actualy gotten her interested in playing the earlier games)

Next up I want her to try the Infinty engine (and please any self respecting RPG gamer who claims not to like or at least respect the Infinity engine is playing the big bad "gourmet shit" kind I despise) since she likes adventure games I plan on unleashing Planescape Torment on her over the Holidays

In no particular order these are the games I would recommend to any self respecting RPG gamer besides the above
The Summoning (one of the must underated game ever, it had great combat, storyline and wonderfull dungeoning setting)
Darklands (My favorite RPG of all time hands down)
Might and Magic 3 (unliked some of the oldies the graphics and gameplay are so good they hold up quite nicely)
KOTOR (i actualy prefer the second one better, but the fact that Star Wars has become one of the modern myths of society makes this a must play)
Dragon Age Origin (The perfect medling of old school sensibilities and combat, with modern stroytelling and yes... gay elf sex)
Baldur´s Gate II (If D&D is the fpunding father of modern RPG mythology, then this game is the finest example of it, engaging epic story, deep startegic combat and memorable companions)
Vagrant Story (a masterpiece melidng of several console genres, adventure, startegy, even stealth with a deep brooding story)
Ultima 7 (The pinnacle of the Ultima series, and maybe the genre, still unmatched in its scope and ambition...although 6 is still my favorite)
Xenogears (another melding of two of my greatest loves; ginath mechs and RPGs...weird mature storyline with awesome combat)
Icewind Dale 2 (the swan song of the Infifnty Engine, with some of the best combat and chacarter development ever)
Legend of Zelda The Ocarina of Time (Tough call between this and A Link to the Past, but his one wins out for the simple fact that it almost singlehandedly designed all the modern 3D designs)
Arx Fatalis (the somewhat modern decendant of the Ultima Underworld games, with a unique magic system and a well devlped mythology)
Wizardry 7 (hands down the RPG I have replayed the most, with a high learning curve, challenging combat and quite hard but stausfying)
Chrono Chross (I actualy prefer this than Chrono Trigger..its almost heresy but think this game had much more charm and heart)
Final Fantasy Tactics (the proof that staregy games do not have to be complicated to be deep, engaging and fun)
Secret f the Silver Blades (one of the my first Goldbox games, with a superb gameplay and quite a change of pace storyline)
Phantasy Star II (another great example of JRPGs)
Deus Ex (come on need I explain?)
Morrowind (My favorite TES game, great ambiance, great memeorable storyline and the best Adversary ever besides my next game...)
System Shock 2 (Shodan is simply the best adversary I have ever faced in any game, as chaty as The Guardian, as evil as Ganon, as righteous as Jon Irenicus and as crazy as Kefka...a masterpiece of mood, gameplay and design)
Vampire the Mascarede Bloodlines (made vampires cool almost 10 years before all the Twlight angst and whatever...and even better with the unoffical patches)
Freedom Force (I am a sucker for comics books too..so this is a gimme)
Eye of the Beholder 2 (Oh those sleepless nights in boardschool playing till the birds started chripping...)

I have not played Fallout New Vegas and the Witcher 2 but I hear they arre pretty good too

So...haters gonna hate...so let´s get it started....

The entire reason of the post was to say that you have a girlfriend. Say it ain't so.

empi

Augur
I think it revealed more importantly that he hasn't got the RoA series on his list

MCA
I wouldn't. Diablo is pure, even if a boring grinder shit. DA:O is impure and decadent, with consolised game world design, shit juvenile romances, shit writing. It's everything bad about RTwP crammed into one game. Keep to IE games.

nublard

Novice
Hello all,
I am trying to decide between playing:
World of Xeen, Knights of the Chalice, and Prelude to Darkness next... Any thoughts on which one is the best? What can I expect from each game?

I liked BG/BG2/NWN2 (not NWN1), MM6,7... and Prelude to Darkness just seems a bit oddball but possibly worth trying.

nublard

Novice
Sorry for double post... I don't see an "edit" button???

I'm also considering Wiz6+7. Are the hotkeys / menus easy / fast to navigate?

Essegi

Cipher
Hello, i'm asking an advice too (i hope it's the right thread to ask). At the moment i have gathered some good old games from GoG:

Betrayal at Krondor Pack
Darklands
Dungeon Master 2
Ishar Compilation
Lands of Lore™ 1+2 e 3
Might and Magic® 1 a 9
Realms of Arkania 1+2 e 3
Ultima™ 1 a 9
Ultima® Underworld 1+2
Ultima Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams
Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire

At the moment i prefer a nice combat system over good rpg mechanics and i like dungeons.
I was thinking to start with Lands Of Lore 1, but i think must play are, from what i've heard, Realms Of Arkania 1, Ultima VII, Darklands (well, mayybe all are must play, but these are the ones i'm more curious about).

Probably if i had Eye Of The Beholder i would have started here... I'm curious also of Wizardry games...

So wicch one of the above should be my next good old rpg (i've just begun Chaos Strikes Back, it seems very very hard!)?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's hard to recommend stuff to you when you don't say what RPGs you have previously played and enjoyed the most.

I was thinking to start with Lands Of Lore 1, but i think must play are, from what i've heard, Realms Of Arkania 1, Ultima VII, Darklands.

Personally I wouldn't recommend starting with LoL. It isn't a bad game for its subgenre (real-time first person grid-based dungeon crawler), but there are better games, even in the same subgenre.

Chaos Strikes Back is one of the most difficult CRPGs of all time, so it's no wonder you're having problems with it. It is incredibly rewarding, but you must really master this kind of games before you can beat it. I'd suggest you play Dungeon Master fist if you haven't (which is incidentally a better game than LoL) and only then move on to Chaos Strikes Back.

As for Realms of Arkania, RoA 2: Star Trail is generally considered the best game of the series. Start with that one.

Betrayal at Krondor is a must play, too. Just give it a whirl - it's extremely well-written, so I'm pretty sure you'll have a blast if you can stand the aged graphics.

I'm curious also of Wizardry games...

Try Wizardry 8 first, it's generally considered more accessible and modern than Wiz 6-7. However, if you don't enjoy it for whatever reason, be sure to give Wiz 6-7 a try as well - they are a different beast. If you find out that Wiz 6-8 aren't your thing, then try playing Might and Magic: World of Xeen and Might and Magic 6. They're easier and more open world.

Also, if you like dungeons, you might enjoy Dark Heart of Uukrul. It's my personal favorite, and its dungeon design is still unrivaled. The game can be pretty unforgiving though, and the graphics are barebone.

MMXI

Arcane
At the moment i prefer a nice combat system over good rpg mechanics and i like dungeons.
So why pick these games then? The Ultima games have throw away combat and Dungeon Master, Ishar and Lands or Lore have shit real-time blob combat. If you want good combat then look elsewhere.

As for Realms of Arkania, RoA 2: Star Trail is generally considered the best game of the series. Start with that one.
I'd start with Blade of Destiny.

Essegi

Cipher
Thanks for the quick reply guys.
Just not remove from inventory Eye of the Beholder®™ and start with it™ . You can try LoL1, UUW1 or MM3 too.
I want to start with EoB, but i don't own it...

It's hard to recommend stuff to you when you don't say what RPGs you have previously played and enjoyed the most. cut
you're right, i tell wich rpg i've played (not many oldies)
Baldur's Gate 1,, ToB (BG1 was my first CRPG).
Icewind Dale 1,2 (great games, but i found more rewarding combat in BG2 and ToB, i hated IWD2 balancing, could have been a great game))
Planescape Torment (Amazing and epic)
Morrowind
Oblivion
Neverwinter Nights 1
Kotor 1, 2 (probably not many agree here, i liked most the 2nd)
The Witcher 1, 2 (very goog games)
Drakensang TDE (nice)
Fallout 1, 2 (best setting ever with Stalker imho...)
Vampire Bloodlines (nice surprise)
Gothic 1,2 (excellent indeed)
Temple Of Elemental Evil (wich i should replay with co8)

Some roguelikes (but not serious play, aside Cardinal Quest, WazHack masterpiece) an some 7drl... I plan to play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup)

Last rpg not roguelike played (on last chrismas): Dungeon Master. Damn masterpiece.

Surely others but not older than BG1. At least i don't have problem with bad graphics.

I liked them all aside Oblivion, NWN and IWD2...

If i should name 2 as the best i think BG saga and Dungeon Master.

I don' have dark Heart of Uukrul, i've heard good things about it.
So why pick these games then? The Ultima games have throw away combat and Dungeon Master, Ishar and Lands or Lore have shit real-time blob combat. If you want good combat then look elsewhere.

I'd start with Blade of Destiny.
i like also the dungeons and i liked a lot Dungeon Master and they are the ones i have...
Anyway suggestion for good games (outside my list) will be a lot appreciated. I'm relatively new to old rpgs ;)
I want to keep Arkania for when i have more time, i've heard that it's a lot hard.

Essegi

Cipher
They are all great choices man and hard to pick one, I suggest you try to vary things arround and start off with Eye of the Beholder as Fowyr says, then try on of the ultimas...the Worlds of adventure where pretty good and they dont get much recognition but they are great fun, especialy Martian Dreams...try to leave Darklands for a long stretch of playing (say a holliday) and try to use the starting party for ypur first playthrough to learn the game, and have some fun!
Oh and dont listen to thse guys, if you try the later Wizardry games (which where much more userfriendly with features like automap) it will be much harder to try the older games which dont use it, and the combat for the Eye of the Beholder games is just fine...
Thanks you too (ah so editing it's possible only for a limited amount of time?), so i really should play EoB (but it seems only via abandonware sites i could get it...).

In the previous post i forgot that after DM i played Legend Of Grimrock, excellent (although i prefer by far DM, anyway i have hopes for LoG mods...).

Essegi

Cipher
Other games i was playing... At the beginning i was not much interested, then i had trouble to buy first expansion (i've heard taht it's very good but it was quite expensive at that moment) anyway now i have the platinum on Steam... Now i'm much more interested on the oldies (anyway i plan to alternate new and old, but i like other games outd).
D&D is not bad, anyway i don't mind to have another ruleset nor to keep it if the game is good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom