Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Essegi

Since you enjoyed Planescape: Torment, you may enjoy Mask of the Betrayer (an expansion pack for Neverwinter Nights 2, but you don't need to play NWN2, just go straight to Mask of the Betrayer). It has the same strong points - writing, atmosphere, otherwordliness - and the same weak points (combat).

Also, if you enjoy D&D games, be sure to give Knights of the Chalice a try. It's the best recent D&D-based game, unique and extremely rewarding as far as combat is concered. The perspective is a bit unorthodox, but nothing you can't get used to. I believe there is a demo.

If you enjoy the Fallout setting and Fallout 2 (there are purists who like F1 but hate F2, as you probably know), then you might enjoy Fallout: New Vegas. It has some great quest design and atmosphere and all the typical Obsidian strengths - and the typical Obsidian weaknesses as well.

The Ultima Underworld games are some of the best first person CRPGs out there - definitely worth a playthrough. Given that you enjoyed Vampire: Bloodlines, I'd say you'll enjoy the Underworld games too.

The Ishar series aren't really worth it, imho.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hello, i'm asking an advice too (i hope it's the right thread to ask). At the moment i have gathered some good old games from GoG:

Betrayal at Krondor Pack
Darklands
Dungeon Master 2
Ishar Compilation
Lands of Lore™ 1+2 e 3
Might and Magic® 1 a 9
Realms of Arkania 1+2 e 3
Ultima™ 1 a 9
Ultima® Underworld 1+2
Ultima Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams
Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire

At the moment i prefer a nice combat system over good rpg mechanics and i like dungeons.
I was thinking to start with Lands Of Lore 1, but i think must play are, from what i've heard, Realms Of Arkania 1, Ultima VII, Darklands (well, mayybe all are must play, but these are the ones i'm more curious about).

Probably if i had Eye Of The Beholder i would have started here... I'm curious also of Wizardry games...

So wicch one of the above should be my next good old rpg (i've just begun Chaos Strikes Back, it seems very very hard!)?

Yeah, CSB is hard. Definitely play the much easier Dungeon Master first and then import your characters from there.
If you like good combat Betrayal of Krondor, Realms of Arkania and Might&Magic 1+2 are your best bets.
I'd start with MM1 since it's the oldest of the game and does have lots of dungeons and fun (but hard, at least in the beginning) combat. I recommend using the pregenerated party. When/if you win you can import your victorious party into MM2.
The Wizardry games also have fairly good combat, using a similar system to MM1-2.

For the best combat of any of the old school DOS games, try the Gold Box games. They are great games and good fun, IMO.

Essegi

Cipher
Since you enjoyed Planescape: Torment, you may enjoy Mask of the Betrayer (an expansion pack for Neverwinter Nights 2, but you don't need to play NWN2, just go straight to Mask of the Betrayer). It has the same strong points - writing, atmosphere, otherwordliness - and the same weak points (combat).
Nice to hear, i'll keep that in mind!
Also, if you enjoy D&D games, be sure to give Knights of the Chalice a try. It's the best recent D&D-based game, unique and extremely rewarding as far as combat is concered. The perspective is a bit unorthodox, but nothing you can't get used to. I believe there is a demo.
I have heard sometihng of KOTC, i see there is actually a demo, good thing.
If you enjoy the Fallout setting and Fallout 2 (there are purists who like F1 but hate F2, as you probably know), then you might enjoy Fallout: New Vegas. It has some great quest design and atmosphere and all the typical Obsidian strengths - and the typical Obsidian weaknesses as well.
I surely prefer Fallout 1, but i apprecaite the 2nd too... I dind't like at all Fallout 3, just tried and abandoned... I've hear good things about NV, i play to buy it on strong sales with dlc...
Anyway my next modern game should be Dark Souls (not an rpg but it should be good, im'm quite curious).
The Ultima Underworld games are some of the best first person CRPGs out there - definitely worth a playthrough. Given that you enjoyed Vampire: Bloodlines, I'd say you'll enjoy the Underworld games too.
Nice point, so maybe better start with UU than LoL1.
Ah i played Arx Fatlis too but i dind't finished it (cause some issues, not for the game, maybe i'll take it on in the future, great magic system).
Yeah, CSB is hard. Definitely play the much easier Dungeon Master first and then import your characters from there.
If you like good combat Betrayal of Krondor, Realms of Arkania and Might&Magic 1+2 are your best bets.
I'd start with MM1 since it's the oldest of the game and does have lots of dungeons and fun (but hard, at least in the beginning) combat. I recommend using the pregenerated party. When/if you win you can import your victorious party into MM2.
The Wizardry games also have fairly good combat, using a similar system to MM1-2.

For the best combat of any of the old school DOS games, try the Gold Box games. They are great games and good fun, IMO.
Unfortunately i lost my characters in DM, now i started with the 4 undead (Skelar, Deth, Necro and Plague), i resurrected them and not reincarnated (ok, reincarnating should be better in the long play... Tha fact is that i was afraid the game would have been too hard at the beginning :D Anyway i just began so...).
Thanks you too for the advices,usually i prefer to start form the first chapers to the end, but lately i don't have much time and i grow bored so i should make choices...Hence i didn't considered the first M&M... I'm still more curious about ROA (here i want to play the first and the second at least), but i keep it for more calm times...

Anyway at the moment i'm pointing to UU or EoB as next old one (too many recomendation for EoB :D)...

Ah, for curiosity, Dark Sun games are good? I like hostile environment setting...

Essegi

Cipher
Nice to hear!
Anyway thanks a lot to all for quick and competent replies!:D

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I want to start with EoB, but i don't own it...
I don' have dark Heart of Uukrul, i've heard good things about it.
God-fearing man. How quaint!
I want to keep Arkania for when i have more time, i've heard that it's a lot hard.
Probably you are right. They are definitely harder than LoL or EoB.
Also I second Dark Sun. It's awesome game.
Hm, you played Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back, so you are already familiar with DM clones.
I say again, try Ultima Underworld for glorious mix of dungeon crawling and character interaction.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It's the best recent D&D-based game, unique and extremely rewarding as far as combat is concered"

Quality aside, if it is based on DnD, it's not unique. Just sayin'.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What about Fallout Tactics?Played it when was very young and vaguely remembered it to be good.Is it fair to say it's JA2 light or I'm way off base?

Rpgsaurus Rex

Fallout Tactics is a very good squad-based RPG, but its tactical/strategic aspect is nowhere near JA2's level.

Giskard

Augur
A good place to start is with the Ultima series, and going from 1 - 8 in order (1 & 2 only take a lazy afternoon each), plus Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, you can skip U IX, But I would say play it anyway just so you can experince the total & utter decline an esteemed and groundbreaking series can fall to. There is NO obligation to finish it & usually you can't due to the gamebreaking bugs).

Then the Might & Magic series again in order if you have the patience and time. If you are not a completionist then start with 3 - 6, with Worlds Of Xeen the highlight. Again MMIX you can skip if you want to, as it is an unfinished and buggy mess with almost no content.

What is it with the 9th instalment in a game series???

Then move onto the gold box games. Oh! and Morrowind.

Borelli

Arcane
Hey guys i just started playing Gothic 1 do you have any non-spoiler hints for me? Can i abandon and then join another camp if i am already joined in one?

Shadelen

Novice
Hey everyone!

My name is Charles and I've been lurking RPG Codex for a while but I finally decided to make an account in lieu of my latest achievement: beating Wizardry 8! I used to play old-style CRPG's with my father back in the day and those are honestly some of the best memories of my childhood, so I'm re-exploring that avenue of gaming lately with a little bit of help from all of you awesome people.

In short, I beat Wizardry 8 and I fell in love with that style of game. Do any of you have suggestions for similar games? I know there are lists of "must-play" games on the forum, but i'm looking for things specifically similar. (3-D worlds are pretty awesome but I'm not so shallow that I wouldn't play a 2D game). I already called my dad and he suggested Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Crusaders of the Dark Savant, but I think I might've already somewhat ruined those two since I've played 8 before them.

Well guys, thoughts and suggestions? I'm looking forward into diving back in time and playing some awesome CRPGs. Thanks!

Shadelen

Novice
Might and Magic 8 Days of the Destroyer. I think it's pretty similar to wizardry, and in that vein it's a great game. Some here would say MM7 is better, but I think MM8 is the best.
Thanks! I actually remember playing some of Heroes of Might and Magic back in the day with my dad now that you mention it. Is that a separate game line from Might and Magic?

Hello, Drog.
I don't think I understand the reference here. =(

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Hi there Charles, and welcome!

I am sure that we'll get along just fine. But before we get to answering your questions, could you take off your pants. It will make the whole process much more pleasant.

Best regards,

Haba Knyllarman

Shadelen

Novice
Hi there Charles, and welcome!

I am sure that we'll get along just fine. But before we get to answering your questions, could you take off your pants. It will make the whole process much more pleasant.

Best regards,

Haba Knyllarman

"Location: Land of Rape & Honey" --- I think I'm gonna have to dodge out on this one. Cleveland Blakemore frequently talks about wearing pants anyway, I guess I should follow his advice here.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
So, party-based 3D RPGs? I'd also have to go with one of Might & Magic 6-8. Personally I like MM7 best but they're all pretty similar.

Shadelen

Novice
Thanks for the replies so far, everyone! I've added MM7 and MM8 to my game list so far. =)

Rpgsaurus Rex

I already called my dad and he suggested Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Crusaders of the Dark Savant, but I think I might've already somewhat ruined those two since I've played 8 before them.

Listen to your papa.

Shadelen

Novice
I already called my dad and he suggested Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Crusaders of the Dark Savant, but I think I might've already somewhat ruined those two since I've played 8 before them.

Listen to your papa.

The main problem there is that those two cost a lot as far as i've found them on Amazon and they arent on GoG. I'm not sure how to get my hands on those two.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Listen to your papa.

The main problem there is that those two cost a lot as far as i've found them on Amazon and they arent on GoG. I'm not sure how to get my hands on those two.

DOSbox http://www.dosbox.com/

Game files

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/247/

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/27576/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom