Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

tindrli

Arcane
Hey everyone!

My name is Charles and I've been lurking RPG Codex for a while but I finally decided to make an account in lieu of my latest achievement: beating Wizardry 8! I used to play old-style CRPG's with my father back in the day and those are honestly some of the best memories of my childhood, so I'm re-exploring that avenue of gaming lately with a little bit of help from all of you awesome people.

In short, I beat Wizardry 8 and I fell in love with that style of game. Do any of you have suggestions for similar games? I know there are lists of "must-play" games on the forum, but i'm looking for things specifically similar. (3-D worlds are pretty awesome but I'm not so shallow that I wouldn't play a 2D game). I already called my dad and he suggested Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Crusaders of the Dark Savant, but I think I might've already somewhat ruined those two since I've played 8 before them.

Well guys, thoughts and suggestions? I'm looking forward into diving back in time and playing some awesome CRPGs. Thanks!

start with Might & magic VI and play everything just dont play IX

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What I would really like is something like Planescape. I loved every minute of that game. I would have loved Arcanum, but I could not stand the camera.
Suggestions that are quite different, but don't treat your pc as a retarded child most of the time:
King of the Dragon pass (not a rpg, but similar deep interaction)
Gothic 1-2NoTR
Geneforge series
Bloodlines
Deus Ex
Prelude to Darkness (buggy thou)

Sad that action rpgs are the ones that care most for this kind of dialog trees/C&C stuff right now 9 years ago, but i don't care.

Other suggestion: branch into adventures.
Also, play F2 ffs.
If you care more about a cool setting that deep character interaction, Arx Fatalis is fine.

Play this right now too

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
But it has some cool questing game mechanics, like beating people up and casting oblivion, or small quest optimization problems, or multiple solutions from the mechanics that are even acknowledged (like entering the city).

Also, the story is not 'shit', thou the ending is a bit subpar. I reserve that to the likes of ME2 and F3. It's just... uh, minimalist.

Gozma

Arcane
If it isn't a bother, I -really- need help in what rpgs to play, and I assume this is the right thread.

I really haven't played many rpgs, but here they are:

Mask of the Betrayer, a NWN2 expansion. Just start a new game straight in MotB. Don't play the main game, it's awful.

Besides that, you've already played most of the "best of breed" games, further Codex stuff is not gonna be that good for you unless you either care about RPGness in a critical kind of way (which will let you enjoy a lot of "interesting failure" games like e.g. Darklands) or you are addicted to shitty combat grinds for loot, level ups, buildfucking, etc.

I also agree with SCO's recommendations because they are just games that you will probably like because your taste seems good (you like both PS:T and DC:SS, a tastelord combo IMO) not necessarily because they are similar to your stated preference

Also a Might and Magic game, 3-5 being my picks

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Try this one too:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flapp/
rougher around the edges but the concept is beautiful (free roaming gamebook series)

edit: there is also a option in 7th sense to skip the dice rolling animation (it actually can be used to influence the zone of the dice so it's not really just a 'animation', but it's silly lengthy)

tindrli

Arcane
Try this one too:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flapp/
rougher around the edges but the concept is beautiful (free roaming gamebook series)

edit: there is also a option in 7th sense to skip the dice rolling animation (it actually can be used to influence the zone of the dice so it's not really just a 'animation', but it's silly lengthy)

will defenetly try it.. now im struggling with second book.. just murdered an innocent thinking that she was the one who wanted to kill me :troll: and died another couple of times and every time with a different but same story .. AND I JUST GOT MUGGED!!!!

btw... do this games have genre???? i mean how do BROS calls them??

oscar

Arcane
Yeah the Lone Wolf game books are awesome. Lots of different ways to complete objectives and uses for different skills. I got stuck in quite a late one though against some big boss guy I just could not beat (something to do with the Summersword).

tindrli

Arcane
Yeah the Lone Wolf game books are awesome. Lots of different ways to complete objectives and uses for different skills. I got stuck in quite a late one though against some big boss guy I just could not beat (something to do with the Summersword).

Just got THE SOMMERSWERD!!! its even stronger than SUPER MOTHERFUCKING BADASS TENTACLE DILDO +4 after i died/restart like 20 times on different spot.. i even thought that im jinxed or something.. SCO BRO, if you ever come to balkans you have a barrel of beer!!!

Thanks SCO and Gozma- I really appreciate it
I have played Deus Ex and KoDP- both great games.
I have been checking out geneforge for a while now, as well as bloodlines.
Also I have heard how good MotB is- I will check that out, as well as the Gothic series & Might and Magic

I'm about to play seventh sense right now- seems pretty baller

Essegi

Cipher
Recently i managed to play CSB, i failed for a lost key, in future i must redo cause it's truly a gem...
Then i played Knights Of The Chalice: damn excellent game, maybe the one with the best combat i've tried.
Then Frayed Knights, i believe it has been my first person party turn based CRPG. Nice game but i don't love it. I should play other similar titles, i am very interested in Wizardry 7 but not now...
My next game will probably be Ultima Underworld...

Speaking about Avernum and Geneforge, are they good (combat, story)?

Essegi

Cipher
Thanks, so for now i pass Spiderweb games (wich is not trivial having a lot to choose).;)

2house2fly

Magister
I'm a fan of Obsidian, and upon hearing that they were making an isometric Infinity Engine style game, I figured I should actually go ahead and play those Infinity Engine games so I wouldn't be completely out of my depth when Eternity comes out. The problem is, I spent a lot of time playing Skyrim, and a bit of time playing Oblivion, and I'm all fantasy-settinged out for now. So I'm wondering if there are any games I should try with similar mechanics but in a different setting, and I figure this seemed like a good place to ask.

Specifically I'm interested in sci-fi RPGs. I know there's Deus Ex which is cyberpunk, the Fallout games (of course) which are post-apocalyptic, Anachronox which looks like a space opera, and KOTOR2 which is definitely a space opera(and the reason I'm an Obsidian fan). Anything else?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Planescape Torment, arguably the best of all the IE games, is set in a world that is hardly your papa's fantasy.

Unfortunately, there haven't been many (or any at all) proper sci-fi games since Buck Rogers :(

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Anything else?
Shadowruns, Bloodnet (mostly cyberpunk), Megatraveller, Neuromancer, Wasteland, Xenocide (unfinished, but very good roguelike), Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception, Twilight 2000. And it's only the first games what I remember.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Specifically I'm interested in sci-fi RPGs. I know there's Deus Ex which is cyberpunk, the Fallout games (of course) which are post-apocalyptic, Anachronox which looks like a space opera, and KOTOR2 which is definitely a space opera(and the reason I'm an Obsidian fan). Anything else?
Isometric (I guess): The Creed. Some kind of Adventure/Arcade/Action/Strategy/RPG mix, though it mixes just small bits of every genre, don't expect realtime Fallout or something. I don't remember much though, except from getting beaten by the cops in the beginning, running aroung the city screaming 'This city is giving me the shits. Fuck off!', and ended up in some sort of yakuza territory where my butt took too much bullets to handle.
Creed_image2.jpg

Non-Isometric: Cybermage (I call it Deus Ex 0.5, also, same designers, cool soundtrack and frustrating (sometimes) combat). It's more of a shooter, but bits of Deus Ex and RPG are there.
CyberMage_DOS_10.png

Also, Hired Guns.

deama

Prophet
There's also a game called space siege, it's diablo in space.

tindrli

Arcane
2house2fly said:
Specifically I'm interested in sci-fi RPGs. I know there's Deus Ex which is cyberpunk, the Fallout games (of course) which are post-apocalyptic, Anachronox which looks like a space opera, and KOTOR2 which is definitely a space opera(and the reason I'm an Obsidian fan). Anything else?​

what was the name of the boring one.. hmmm cant remmember.. the one that was like diablo but with weapons.. a city and aliens i believe... you could zoom.. just cant remmember.. will report if ...

found it.. it ws hellgate: london... but i didnt like it

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Non-Isometric: Cybermage (I call it Deus Ex 0.5, also, same designers, cool soundtrack and frustrating (sometimes) combat). It's more of a shooter, but bits of Deus Ex and RPG are there.
Very ,very small bits.
This was made by D.W. Bradley. Cybermage is a good game, but thinking what he wasted his time on this instead of making something like Wiz7 makes me want to facepalm.
That part before Temple map where you need to find secret buttons on the so-familiar-walls was hilarious. Classical "endless corridor" puzzle from countless DM-clones was neat too.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Very ,very small bits.
This was made by D.W. Bradley. Cybermage is a good game, but thinking what he wasted his time on this instead of making something like Wiz7 makes me want to facepalm.
That part before Temple map where you need to find secret buttons on the so-familiar-walls was hilarious. Classical "endless corridor" puzzle from countless DM-clones was neat too.
Yet the game had something innovational in it.
When I played Half-Life, I was certain that I've seen this 'style' of narrative before.

Bulba

Learned
2house2fly said:
Specifically I'm interested in sci-fi RPGs. I know there's Deus Ex which is cyberpunk, the Fallout games (of course) which are post-apocalyptic, Anachronox which looks like a space opera, and KOTOR2 which is definitely a space opera(and the reason I'm an Obsidian fan). Anything else?​

what was the name of the boring one.. hmmm cant remmember.. the one that was like diablo but with weapons.. a city and aliens i believe... you could zoom.. just cant remmember.. will report if ...

found it.. it ws hellgate: london... but i didnt like it
I thought it's a fps and pretty bad one. the game is definately nothing like diablo apart from respauning monsters and randomly generated maps (?).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom