Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of WASD-like control 3D RPG games (single player)

Black Cat

Magister
@ Hory

C&C is not a main component of Role Playing Games. It is an element that does combine greatly with them and all, but it is not instrumental to a game being an RPG. If you want to see what a game or genre based entirely on Choices & Consequences would look like if striped of all bells and whistles look at Visual Novels. An RPG in it's simpler, most basic incarnation does not look like a Visual Novel in the slightest, but like Eye of the Beholder or The Legacy. In fact those were the original kinds of Role Playing Games in P&P too, not the other way around. And believe me that when, like, an angry GM puts you into a dungeon full of traps and monsters with a mission to recover the magic orb of necromantic necromancy or, like, die trying there is nothing to choose other than what variety of ownage you want to pwn the hordes of hell with (or try to, more likely).

Don't take it wrong, i love C&C and, like, all sophisticated and stuffy P&P games. But the sophistication and fluff is not what makes the RPG: You can take WoD, take the system, remove all the background, society, and fluff and change it with evil dungeons of doom and it would still be an RPG. If you, on the other side, take all the fluff and remove the system it no longer is an RPG. Even when dices are not called every other turn, something very common in P&P when outside of combat, the stats and skills and thingies are always taken into consideration. Like, always. Not very hard to grasp the reality is, i think.

Hory

Erudite
C&C is THE component of RPGs. The entire system of stats and skills exists to facilitate the repeated, free form making of choices and determination of their consequences. Furthermore, low-level player choices (and their consequences) inevitably lead to higher level consequences. Because, as opposed to traditional stories, RPGs have an interactive plot. This has often been minimally interactive (e.g. you either escape the dungeon or you die), but it is a fundamental property, without which RPGs would revert to noninteractive narratives. As such, a RPG with dozens of sophisticated endings is not less of a RPG, but more of one, since it has in higher amount that which is distinctive and characteristic to them. Even with P&P RPGs, there was actually an infinity of possible endings - all under the power of the GM. And if anything, Visual Novels are not true RPGs precisely because they offer a sparse amount of choices with predetermined consequences.

As for the evil dungeons of doom, that's just the predominant subject matter of the initial RPGs. To say that this has a higher importance over radically different subjects (such as a RPG about... a guy who wants to build a church) is as narrow-minded as saying the written works about initial subjects such as the affairs of gods are more valid stories than those that have been written since.

Boddler

Educated
C'mon, you've taken it to a semantic level. It's understandable that reasonable people have strong opinions about the meaning of words, but that's all the disagreement is at this point.

Words truly do change meaning over time. To a sizable number of younger people, and/or non-native English speakers, "RPG" really does mean what it does to Hory.

IMO, over time, the shift in conception of "RPG" will only become more associated with emo gameplay. Lots of romance, exposition, drama, etc.

The players who prefer what "RPG" orignally meant--a game focused on its rulesystem for tactical combat and power progression--will increasingly find their games referred to as of the"strategy" type.

But, really--why fight about it?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why fight about anything? Fighting about meaningless terms is what the Codex is all about.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Boddler said:
Jasede said:
Why fight about anything? Fighting about meaningless terms is what the Codex is all about.

You're wrong here. Twice.

Die in a fire.

Edit: this has been the greatest trolling-thread of Codex for '09 but everybody knows that almost all the games Cesm23 has on his list are pure shit and this ridiculous argument about "what does RPG really mean" is probably the 108th time that argument has come up. And the holy trinity is Fallout-PS:T-Arcanum with a strong nod towards dungeon crawlers. So fuck off with your Final Fantasy'esque 'romance and drama' shit. If "younger players" associate RPG's with nothing else, its only the fault of IGN/GameSpy/Shit and stupid wankers like you Boddler.

Edit2: Shit, I gave up guaranteed sex back in the time for a chance to play Fallout2(thanks to original Fallout and the fame of Black Isle) the night it was released and after Bloodlines, there's been exactly ZERO games that have elicited similar reaction, so yes, die in a fire already.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Jasede

Some long years ago a friend of mine gave me a copy of The Legacy in a superbig collection of old horror games he copied me because i was always lost when they began making references and jokes on old horror games like Waxworks and The Legacy and so many others when playing Mage or Cthulhu or Witchcraft or thingies like that. Since then it became, like, one of my favorites games ever, and one of the main causes i like computer based role playing games. Few ones are cooler than The Legacy, with its constant torrent of abuse and it is not fair and i can't believe the damn fuses blew again and i just got myself killed by a zombie with a sawed off and shades!

I was playing with the idea of making an LP to, like, spread the love and all that since it seemed almost no one knew it, and i probably would where not for that little thingie about i never managing to win it still :epicphail:. For now it would be less of a Let's Play and more of a Let's Watch Black Cat Get Eaten By Zombies, Worse By Amoeba Thingies, Die Of Hunger, Fall To Numberless Traps, Get Puzzled By Puzzles, And Try To Kill Demons With An Old Dusty Bottle In A Bout Of Desperation. And that would be, like, a superlong acronym thingie.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Go for it. Nobody but the two of us and your friends know of this game, but it's a full-fledged RPG. I never completed it. I'd like to see someone do it.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
No you are all wrong. In former times combat and character development were the trademarks of RPG but RPG has evolved! This is what is called evolution. Nowadays RPG is all about C&C, strong story and characters and roleplaying (farting for instance, kicking chicken and try to break longest kick record). To make all these role-playing choices it's obvious you have to talk with a lot of NPCs in modern (true RPGs) games. Therefor it's essential that chicks are hot and have big boobs, I mean what kinda consequences would arise from choosing to talk to ugly chicks? C&C in true RPGs can even have IRL-consequences like in the case of Garfunkel ( I suffer with you friend, but I hope another opportunity for sex came in due time :hug: ).
So stop your hostility Jasede and apologize at once!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Years back all this C&C stuff and character interaction seemed cool, and I liked such games. But then we started to have such interactive movies again, again and again and in every single one of them the gameplay sucked even harder than in the previous one (not only combat). And of course morons who are ready to call anything RPG as soon as they see that it has "C&C" written in the hype list didn't help.
Nowadays I'd rather play a game with a gameplay like in RoA (for fantasy) or JA2 (for gun-based games) without all that story/characters/C&Cfapfap bullshit.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
O rly skyway?

I forgot to mention: romances!, more female armor, more beautiful elves, more hairstyles. There you have it, this is what RPG is all about.

l2_dark_elf.jpg

This is what RPGs are all about.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
OMG!!1! EV is right!

-elf check
- hot chick check
-big boobs check
-femael armor! check
-cool hairstyle check
- I can smell the upcoming romance too!

cesm23

Novice
GarfunkeL said:
Boddler said:
Jasede said:

You're wrong here. Twice.

Die in a fire.

Edit: this has been the greatest trolling-thread of Codex for '09 but everybody knows that almost all the games Cesm23 has on his list are pure shit and this ridiculous argument about "what does RPG really mean" is probably the 108th time that argument has come up. And the holy trinity is Fallout-PS:T-Arcanum with a strong nod towards dungeon crawlers. So fuck off with your Final Fantasy'esque 'romance and drama' shit. If "younger players" associate RPG's with nothing else, its only the fault of IGN/GameSpy/Shit and stupid wankers like you Boddler.

Edit2: Shit, I gave up guaranteed sex back in the time for a chance to play Fallout2(thanks to original Fallout and the fame of Black Isle) the night it was released and after Bloodlines, there's been exactly ZERO games that have elicited similar reaction, so yes, die in a fire already.

Now this has gone WAY too far this is indeed the first forum i seen in the internet with SO MANY trolls (yeah sure just because i replyed to trolls, that makes me one too, just think what you want), and you GarfunkeL being a big one by what you said from my list i won't even make further comments to what you said specifically. To all of you which have been trolling here and talking bad about me since you guys love trolling SO MUCH then just go on and continue FOREVER make about 20000 pages of replys in this thread of trolling, because i am not EVEN reading this worthless garbage (trolling) anymore and this is the last time i will ever look at this thread or even this forum as a whole! Yes that's right i never seen a forum like this before. I am sure that even if come back to read this thread 1 or 2 years later i will still see trolling in this thread and going in about 200-300 pages.

Just fell free to say ANYTHING you want about me anymore i don't care because i won't even be reading it, just enjoy yourselves in a eternety of trooling, i have not made this thread for wasting my time with garbage like this. Because after all... what the heck have i to lose by not reading this thread anymore ? Nothing since all the "honest" and "ontopic" messages already been written in the first 1-2 pages, i seen no one has more suggestions so ALL the entire contents of the next pages are pure junk and a waste of space in the forum, but PLEASE keep it growing i might come back a few years later to see how much pages of trolling this page will have by then.

I apreciate the help that the non-trolls have contributed here, but the thread is so flooded with trooling and offtopics that no one will even notice the first honest replys so to those interested in wasd rpgs just go to another forum. This one is the LAST forum on the internet i will ever post anything again or even read, that's for sure.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Years back all this C&C stuff and character interaction seemed cool, and I liked such games. But then we started to have such interactive movies again, again and again and in every single one of them the gameplay sucked even harder than in the previous one (not only combat). And of course morons who are ready to call anything RPG as soon as they see that it has "C&C" written in the hype list didn't help.
Nowadays I'd rather play a game with a gameplay like in RoA (for fantasy) or JA2 (for gun-based games) without all that story/characters/C&Cfapfap bullshit.
Yup.

The entire drive for story and C&C has in fact been nothing but a movement to dumb down games, starting from 1997, when they started doing this nonsense. Of course hypertext browsing was a nonsense feature, and of course it was just a step towards what games are like now.

The amazing thing is that even RoA is a game to be taken for granted among the large product of great range of games available. I am not even trying to subscribe to some narrow idea of RPGs here. There was plenty of more variety back then. From games like Ultima Underworld to Isles of Terra to Wizard's Crown. All of them completely different and none of them with C&C nonsense.

Morkar Left

cesm23 said:
Now this has gone WAY too far this is indeed the first forum i seen in the internet with SO MANY trolls (yeah sure just because i replyed to trolls, that makes me one too, just think what you want), and you GarfunkeL being a big one by what you said from my list i won't even make further comments to what you said specifically. To all of you which have been trolling here and talking bad about me since you guys love trolling SO MUCH then just go on and continue FOREVER make about 20000 pages of replys in this thread of trolling, because i am not EVEN reading this worthless garbage (trolling) anymore and this is the last time i will ever look at this thread or even this forum as a whole! Yes that's right i never seen a forum like this before. I am sure that even if come back to read this thread 1 or 2 years later i will still see trolling in this thread and going in about 200-300 pages... bla bla bla

You are a very rude person cesm24! You came to this forum and start to post about annoying "rpg`s" that nobody likes here without even read some threads in the forum. And if you read some threads, it is even more rude to post such a thread like you did. It´s like going to a gun club and telling everyone that knifes are so much better than guns and that you can´t stand shooting with guns. Such a rude person you are... you have to work really hard on your behaviour...

Divinity: Original Sin
Morkar said:
cesm23 said:
Now this has gone WAY too far this is indeed the first forum i seen in the internet with SO MANY trolls (yeah sure just because i replyed to trolls, that makes me one too, just think what you want), and you GarfunkeL being a big one by what you said from my list i won't even make further comments to what you said specifically. To all of you which have been trolling here and talking bad about me since you guys love trolling SO MUCH then just go on and continue FOREVER make about 20000 pages of replys in this thread of trolling, because i am not EVEN reading this worthless garbage (trolling) anymore and this is the last time i will ever look at this thread or even this forum as a whole! Yes that's right i never seen a forum like this before. I am sure that even if come back to read this thread 1 or 2 years later i will still see trolling in this thread and going in about 200-300 pages... bla bla bla

You are a very rude person cesm24! You came to this forum and start to post about annoying "rpg`s" that nobody likes here without even read some threads in the forum. And if you read some threads, it is even more rude to post such a thread like you did. It´s like going to a gun club and telling everyone that knifes are so much better than guns and that you can´t stand shooting with guns. Such a rude person you are... you have to work really hard on your behaviour...

I think he came to a gun club saying flowers are much better.

With his last "edit" of the list in the first post, he sounded like he only wanted to bring peace to the codex.

That's it, citations for the lot of ya!

This is the douchebag patrol, officer 77154 Greenly, and you're all cited for excess douchebaggery.
For shame. Douchebagging is the leading cause of interspacial ass-kicking, rape, and abortions resulting from ass-kicking and rape in interspacial dimensions. You may appeal these citations at the specified court date, or else must pay the fine listed.
Have a nice day, douchebags.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Of course hypertext browsing was a nonsense feature, and of course it was just a step towards what games are like now.

And of course you are, as always, an idiot. It's not as much Fallout's fault (I assume you're talking about Fallout since you said '97) as it is Baldur's Gate fault for this. It's really not Fallout's fault that Bioware ripped off the system and watered it down as it had.

But then again, you are unable to see the difference between a good feature which failed to be improved (with the possible exception of Arcanum) and a bad feature.

You little piece of shit.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Say, this reminds me of something.
MetalCraze less than a week ago said:
They are going down the shitter because they are all about character skill, don't have enough C&C and story and therefore aren't worth playing and not RPGs.
Rather fickle, aren't we?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom