Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of WASD-like control 3D RPG games (single player)

cesm23

Novice
just to make sure... are you talking to me?

Malachi

Liturgist
On the offhand chance that cesm23 is not trolling...

This forum defines an CRPG much more stringently than you are likely to find in other places, cesm23. Only a handful of games meet the criteria, and I think Wulfstand, above, hit most of them.

Diablo and Diablo 2 are not really RPG -- you cannot, in the game, change anything by actively "playing a role." You always kill Andarial, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal, in the same sequence, with no alterations. You cannot talk Diablo into abandoning his quest for world domination. You cannot even talk Andarial into putting some clothes on.

RPGs are defined, in part, by having the most in-game choices possible. In Diablo, the only choice in the game to complete a quest is to kill enemies, and having only one choice does not make an RPG. Having multiple *methods* of slaughter does not qualify.

The modern trend is to introduce RPG elements into FPS games (skill trees in Diablo 2 are an example) and then call the hybrid an RPG. This particular corner of the internet despises this as a bastardization of something it cares about (probably too much).

As a final word of warning, you should know that flouting these conventions tends to result in unpleasantness. The battle cries of "Goatse!" and "Tubgirl!" are not for the faint of heart.

I hope this has been useful, though only if cesm23 is truly in earnest and not trolling. I have to think "troll", however, since who comes to the Codex by accident?

cesm23

Novice
yeah if people are thinking i am trolling just because others are inducing me to that then... it's very simple i will JUST reply to the messages ontopic if not this won't ever end, just keep trolling between yourselfves just don't count with me for you having fun at my expense anymore. (right now i am talking more about the previous replys not you malachi in special) Because i found this forum in google and i don't came here for this, if i don't stop responding to these offtopic/spam messages this won't ever end, lets see how fun it is without me replying back such messages and how long it will last.

Diablo and Diablo 2 are not really RPG -- you cannot, in the game, change anything by actively "playing a role." You always kill Andarial, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal, in the same sequence, with no alterations. You cannot talk Diablo into abandoning his quest for world domination. You cannot even talk Andarial into putting some clothes on.

Oh i see, but when i mean a RPG i mean in a general way, no need to people having to troughtully define with all the details what is a rpg or not.

The modern trend is to introduce RPG elements into FPS games (skill trees in Diablo 2 are an example) and then call the hybrid an RPG. This particular corner of the internet despises this as a bastardization of something it cares about (probably too much).

Indeed i am noticing this too and i like these games too, but usually i prefer to call these FPS-RPG games and i prefer to call normal rpgs rpgs like ultima 9, gothics, fable, etc.

I hope this has been useful, though only if cesm23 is truly in earnest and not trolling.
Well since i can't prove anything to you, you will have to judge by yourself from the things i say here, i just don't want to waste my time in trying to convince i am not something that i have absolutly no interest in being.

I have to think "troll", however, since who comes to the Codex by accident?
Why is it like that? I just found the site when i googled for the name of one of those rpgs...

Morkar Left

You should really starting to read other posts on the codex...

Hard to believe you are older than me...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Cesm23, you have restored my faith in humanity and I thank you for that. Do you have a sister? Or a female cousin? I'd love to meet them if they are as clever and sharp as you are, my friend!

Quilty

Magister
I gotta admit, even though it was all pretend, there was a moment of sheer serenity and friendship when everyone was polite and apologetic in the beginning of the thread. The birth of a new, non-jaded codex? Imagine skyway telling everyone how nice they are, Andhaira comparing puppies to kittens on the scale of cuteness... Oh, if only...

covr

Prophet
Patron
Malachi said:
Diablo and Diablo 2 are not really RPG(...)

Well, I think that they are. In D2 ToB there are seven characters to choose, each one is very different and unique. You've got stats to distribute when you reach new level, and many useful skills. Diablo 2 has a good story, interesting characters, crafting, dialogs and even you can hire a follower! So what, that every time you have to kill Andariel first? Every game is like this. Try to play Fallout 1, and not to kill rats in the starting area. You have to do this, everone knows this fact. Speech skill seems not to work on rats.

To sum it up, D2=RPG.

cesm23

Novice
Indeed diablo2 would be a great game for me to play, if only they would do like in neverwinter nights in which both wasd and point and click can be used, that would be a lot better than just having point and click if they don't want to remove that method of control. But i am sure that diablos aren't the only very good rpgs out there to play, to me some of the rpgs on my list are already quite good rpgs too.

Malachi

Liturgist
covr said:
Malachi said:
Diablo and Diablo 2 are not really RPG(...)

Well, I think that they are.

As I said in that same post, the Codex hivemind has more stringent standards for what constitutes an honest-to-God RPG. Multiple methods of trashing critter #783 are not sufficient. There are no multiple methods of solving major quest lines. A good RPG can do quest solutions at least three different ways: talking, fighting, or sneaking. Sometimes a combination of these, sometimes multiple ways within a category (intimidate versus persuade comes to mind, as it is commonly used). Diablo has you blow stuff up, and that's it.

Skill checks are often used to determine success in an RPG, though it isn't always necessary. By contrast, skills in Diablo 2 are used to determine how effectively and in what manner you blow stuff up. You point out that Diablo has multiple classes. Again, I have to stress that "fireball versus frozen orb" isn't enough to generate a real choice here.

You bring up the rats, and of course you can't talk to the rats in Fallout. (There's at least one in Fallout 2 that you can converse with though!) But there are many other potentially hostile entities you can converse with. Compare that to Diablo, where your conversation options are incredibly, incredibly limited and inconsequential. Try to talk Diablo into abandoning his plot, and see how far you get. Compare this to the Master from Fallout, and you might see what I mean.

By Codex standards, Diablo is not an RPG so much as a descendant of Nethack with a very addictive random reinforcement schedule for its loot tables. Don't misunderstand me, I enjoyed it for what it was, but I believe it's a completely different experience from Planescape or Arcanum or Fallout.

Your standards regarding bona fide RPG status are somewhat looser than the norm here, and that's fine. We are talking about games, after all, and there are far more important things to worry about. But you won't find many people here that agree with you.

/end entirely too long post

Divinity: Original Sin
cesm23 said:
lol i already said a few replys ago (in fact it's hard to find now after all these "offtopic" replys, that english is not my native language, i am from portugual altough i understand and speak english well but i am still not that good as a english native speaking person.

Você é de Portugal? de onde?

Even if he's not serious, I do like this reasoning

I would like fans of such games to post here names of games like this EVEN if you guys think they suck because that's highly subjective and usually sometimes i like games that most of the persons don't like

"I like X and Y, and fuck you codex". No pussy "...don't get me wrong, I love X and Y, I am one of u guise!".

cesm23

Novice
Darth Slaughter said:
cesm23 said:
lol i already said a few replys ago (in fact it's hard to find now after all these "offtopic" replys, that english is not my native language, i am from portugual altough i understand and speak english well but i am still not that good as a english native speaking person.

Sou do algarve. Sei que isto é offtopic mas pronto desde que nao seja coisas "estupidas" como as que se tem discutido ultimamente aqui vale a pena responder, loool

cesm23 said:
Darth Slaughter said:
cesm23 said:

Sou do algarve. Sei que isto é offtopic mas pronto desde que nao seja coisas "estupidas" como as que se tem discutido ultimamente aqui vale a pena responder, loool

In fact I just asked because since people were doubting your afirmatives, i just asked in order to know if you were being honest about our origins.

cesm23

Novice
well i guess that's ok. But for sure you must know how frustating is that we are being honest and everyone things you're trolling or whatever they think i am doing. But enought of this i don't want to continue to "feed" that trend of comments i have been reading, that's not why i have created the topic.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
cesm, all the games you like suck. all the games you don't like are awesome.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Holy shit I missed this thread getting ready for college.

So yeah cesm23, either you're a really good troll or an innocent person caught up in rpgcodex, and I have to say I feel sorry for you if its the latter. Their reasoning behind calling you a troll is that you come to a forum full of angry neckbeard nurds and suggest rpg-esque games to people that have been playing rpgs in their original incarnations since the early 80's. They're either struck with nostalgia or genuinely disappointed in the lack choice driven complex stories in RPGs as of late.

Think about it this way, you know those choose-your-own-adventure books, right? Well the books these guys are used to, which also exist by the way, have more than 5 choices at a time that are driven sometimes by statistics and dice rolls as chance behind the decisions. To put it in a nutshell.

cesm23 said:
i hope that all these previous spam/offtopics will end if not i will simply have to start ignoring all off topics like this, becuase this is just a waste of time, like this it's no fun at all. And i apreciate those that GENUINELY try to help by indicating games for this category and not those that like to spam the topic.

Oh God, it's like Andhaira before he started taking his anti-inanity pills, but without Andhaira's knowldge of oldschool rpgs...

Mattresses

Scholar
guys, keep on topic, this is a serious effort at list compilation, and I don't see the codex already sporting such a list.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OP reminds me of the kid in Goonies, bulletproof.
picardshoots.gif
cesm23 said:
Ultima Underworld series
Can't say about some of the other games but you are alright by me and welcome to marry my sister anyday.

cesm23

Novice
hum... finally more games names suggestions, let me check them out, after that i will add to the list accordingly if i see fit.

Also i updated the beginning of this thread.

Edit : hum... these rpgs are incredibly old this list is mostly for 3D games, with graphics at least like ultima underworld or system shock, lower than that, no. Unless i receive more requests for those older games to be included too, for now i won't include those.

Mighty Mouse said:
OP reminds me of the kid in Goonies, bulletproof.
picardshoots.gif

Picard playing fallout 3?

Edit: Menzoberranzan and ravenloft series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom