Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lonesome Road Trailer is out

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I never use melee against Deathclaws, the first encounter I had with them in New Vegas was enough to convince me of that. The only way to even go toe-to-toe against them in melee with confidence is to have some serious Turbo to back you up.

My favourite New Vegas memory is of going to visit a deathclaw lair to pick up the Enclave power armour there, alerting the deathclaw mother just as I ran out of bullets, taking every drug in my inventory and beating her to death with my bare hands (power fist) in VATS while freefalling off a cliff. Shit was so cash.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Admiral jimbob said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I never use melee against Deathclaws, the first encounter I had with them in New Vegas was enough to convince me of that. The only way to even go toe-to-toe against them in melee with confidence is to have some serious Turbo to back you up.

My favourite New Vegas memory is of going to visit a deathclaw lair to pick up the Enclave power armour there, alerting the deathclaw mother just as I ran out of bullets, taking every drug in my inventory and beating her to death with my bare hands (power fist) in VATS while freefalling off a cliff. Shit was so cash.
Kinda like how the giant robo-scorpion got an introduction to the Six Million Dollar Courier (Chemist + Day Tripper + RDX Implant 2) and was promptly giving a one-hand ATATATATATATATATAWATAA with a power fist, resulting in Flawless Victory.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ed123 said:
Anyway I agree with whoever felt this to be the weakest DLC.

Sad Panda. I thought this one would be the best. With all the hype it sounded like it would be Dead Money's story, OWB's exploration but with better weapons. So much for that.

Deleted member 7219

Just finished it. I'm really angry, actually. Fallout: New Vegas was such a great game and all the DLC has been shit. Ulysses is an arrogant, sanctimonious prick and all of his whining about roads and packages just didn't make any sense to me, Even at the end it still wasn't clear why he was doing what he was doing, and what exactly the Courier did to the Divide in the first place. I wanted so badly to kill him, but I had been choosing the peaceful path all along so I just talked out of it. No real conclusion except for the few little slides.

And what the fuck was the ED-E stuff about? Complete waste of time. Arrrgh, I am raging so much about this right now.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Avellone always said this will be a very liniar, straightforward one, even the fucking name already points in the direction it will go...

I don't know why you call all the DLC shitty though, Dead Money was excellent and the best stuff I've played for years.

Drakron

Arcane
My guess is he brought back some kind of activation system that activated the Hopeville Missile Base, several of the missiles underground self-detonated because of it causing the whole place crumbling.

It does not help he a Avallone and we can barely understand him with the DERP ... would it fucking kill him to call the missiles, missiles instead of "sleeping giants" bullcrap? Having to decode what he is saying because he downright refusal to talk strait is annoying, its like a Rasta version of Kreia.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Just finished it. It lived up to my expectations and Roger Cross was p. badass. I liked it. Not mindblowing or anything, but satisfying.

Also fuck you retards for not liking Avellone-speak. Metaphors fuck yeah.

Captain Shrek

Tragically this DLC is shit. I haven't played the rest of the DLC to comment. That IDIOT Ulysses comes of as a complete shithead with Marxian/ Hegelian/ Luddite logic to boot. I can't believe he lasted this long in the Mojave by his prowess than his dumb luck.

Multi-headed Cow

Ed123 said:
I loved the Ulysses log recording how the White Legs "honoured" him, though. Got me right here *pokes chest for emphasis*.
Yeah, that was really good.

I liked his character (Even with the infuriatingly vague dialog), but I still know jack shit about the community at the Divide or why it appealed to him so much. I believe I only missed one Ulysses log, and a few lines of dialog. Didn't successfully talk him down at the end though, I'll have to try that again. I did appreciate it wasn't entirely just [Speech 100] CLAM DOWN BRO.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Multi-headed Cow said:
Ed123 said:
I loved the Ulysses log recording how the White Legs "honoured" him, though. Got me right here *pokes chest for emphasis*.
Yeah, that was really good.

I liked his character (Even with the infuriatingly vague dialog), but I still know jack shit about the community at the Divide or why it appealed to him so much. I believe I only missed one Ulysses log, and a few lines of dialog. Didn't successfully talk him down at the end though, I'll have to try that again. I did appreciate it wasn't entirely just [Speech 100] CLAM DOWN BRO.

I get what you mean, but sometimes a bit more vague nature of things can hold up interest of a certain story.. I mean people are still raving about what TNO did in the past in Torment and whatever.. Not explaining some things can be pretty nice at times.

Multi-headed Cow

Surf Solar said:
I get what you mean, but sometimes a bit more vague nature of things can hold up interest of a certain story.. I mean people are still raving about what TNO did in the past in Torment and whatever.. Not explaining some things can be pretty nice at times.
That's certainly true, but it's a pain in the ass when all the other DLC is leading up to meeting him, and when you do he just says "*Know* that you will not know the *Why of it*"
Ed123 said:
Depends on the dialogue route you take (probably). I think I used NCR rep, then referenced the tapes (I'd found dem all), then chose the dialogue options that seemed to match his philosophy. I assume the speech 90 check bypasses all that. Dunno what the eyebot recording option does.

IIRC the most commonly missed tapes are the ones in the crow's nest off the high road, the one a bit below the sunstone tower roof, the one west of the sunstone tower in a fallen-over apartment building (not the one the marked snipers are on, it's past that, close to where two molerats patrol/where the warhead was if you killed everyone here earlier) and the one behind the locked warehouse gate.
I did a speech 90 check at some point I believe, but then had the option of NCR rep which he didn't like (I have the reputation of "Dark hero" because at some point I was attacked by an NCR guy on the Strip and killed him, even though I killed Caesar and did all the NCR quests that left me tainted). Not sure if that leaves me fucked since Ulysses told me NO BRO YOU DON'T REALLY BELIEEEEEEEVE when I used that option.

I know I got the crow's nest, not sure on the locked warehouse gate but I think so. And entirely not sure on the apartment.

Deleted member 7219

Surf Solar said:
Avellone always said this will be a very liniar, straightforward one, even the fucking name already points in the direction it will go...

I don't know why you call all the DLC shitty though, Dead Money was excellent and the best stuff I've played for years.

Dead Money had excellent NPCs and Elijah was a good foe, but the design of the areas were what ruined it for me. I just don't enjoy killing monsters unless the combat is done well, and the Gamebryo combat is tear-inducing. So having to run through badly designed streets trying to dodge almost-invincible enemies wasn't my idea of fun. And the holograms in the hotel itself were just as bad.

Actually the DLC I enjoyed most out of the four was Honest Hearts, that wasn't shitty, though they could have done more with Graham.

Drakron

Arcane
I talked him down because ... hell, playing with a brand out of OWB character that just meet the minimum advised leveled to enter Lonesome Road and being gifted, the moment I saw his LOL REGENERATION due to the eyebots and then the Red Men I just fuck it, reload.

Then it was Bro team up (well Bro and Sis because playing female character) against the Red Men and motherfuckers keep coming, he killed most of then I suppose.

If you are curious the talk down is pretty much "home is were the heart is" and "you can rebuild", he kinda quits when you said what was doing was FUCKING POINTLESS.

Oh and ED-E copy sacrificed itself to stop the missiles, then because he was pack mule and during the fight I was crippled on everything except head I staggered slowly to the lift (so much for RUN AWAY) and then ending slideshow.

This was just a initial run, will do it later when I am in Independent Vegas (it was NCR now because it was the group I had with the highest reputation).

canakin

Cipher
Matt7895 said:
Surf Solar said:

Dead Money had excellent NPCs and Elijah was a good foe, but the design of the areas were what ruined it for me. I just don't enjoy killing monsters unless the combat is done well, and the Gamebryo combat is tear-inducing. So having to run through badly designed streets trying to dodge almost-invincible enemies wasn't my idea of fun. And the holograms in the hotel itself were just as bad.

Actually the DLC I enjoyed most out of the four was Honest Hearts, that wasn't shitty, though they could have done more with Graham.

Heh, how can you call New Vegas a great game when you see GAEMBRO combat is terrible? Anyway, I still enjoyed Lonesome Road DLC more than others, I agree with Matt7895 on them being shitty. This one at least had a conclusion to Ulysses nonsense which had been going on for long enough already and it was somewhat satisfying, ED-E's backstory was kinda cute and made me smile at some parts. Still I'm disappointed that there was almost no info on the past of Divide, and how our Courier formed it (If i didn't miss something), except the part about him bringing some device there and sending the it to hell. It could have been better, but it's silly to expect something great from some fucking DLC.

Drakron

Arcane
There are six logs, first one (Ulysses Log Y-17.15) is when get out from the Hopeville Missile Base Loading Station you will see a locked gate, its inside the toolbox that is next to the overturn truck beyond the gate.

Deleted member 7219

canakin said:
Matt7895 said:
Surf Solar said:

Heh, how can you call New Vegas a great game when you see GAEMBRO combat is terrible?

Most of my favourite games have shit combat. I really like Fallout: New Vegas because of the quality of the writing and the huge amount of freedom. Dead Money had the writing but really not much freedom, and a combat overload (enemies who are basically just walking HP tanks? No thanks).

Anyway, I still enjoyed Lonesome Road DLC more than others, I agree with Matt7895 on them being shitty. This one at least had a conclusion to Ulysses nonsense which had been going on for long enough already and it was somewhat satisfying, ED-E's backstory was kinda cute and made me smile at some parts. Still I'm disappointed that there was almost no info on the past of Divide, and how our Courier formed it (If i didn't miss something), except the part about him bringing some device there and sending the it to hell. It could have been better, but it's silly to expect something great from some fucking DLC.

Absolutely agree with this. I still don't get what the Divide was before the war (if it was just a town with some nuke silos then why is it so special?), what the Courier did to destroy it and why, and what the fuck was Ulysses doing?

Drakron said:
a Rasta version of Kreia.
On malachor 5.

To me it boiled down to a long combat-filled trek through poorly designed debris and lopsided buildings with little in between aside from the 3 or so ED-E audio recordings. Ulysses was a bad joke(MCA burned out?) and the one possibly interesting moment, the sacrifice, is rendered meaningless because the character lives on anyway.

I guess it's fitting that the last dlc is just as mediocre as the ones before it, all are worse experiences than the main game. Still liked honest hearts more than this.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Matt7895 said:
Absolutely agree with this. I still don't get what the Divide was before the war (if it was just a town with some nuke silos then why is it so special?), what the Courier did to destroy it and why, and what the fuck was Ulysses doing?
Given what happens with ED-E near the end, and the contents of his final audio log, I got the distinct sense that the Courier had nothing to do with the Divide's creation - all the mystery around it, the references to home, etc. were just a ruse that the Ulysses used to tempt the Courier's insatiable curiosity. Although the Courier may have been involved somehow, indirectly, ultimately, Ulysses only wanted to use the Courier for his own ends.

After he destroyed his own tribe by pushing it into the Legion and later saw the White Legs ruined by his influence, Ulysses became disillusioned with the existing powers, and realised that the symbols and virtues they claimed to stand for were untested, if not outright false. His later obsession with America was effectively nostalgia taken to an extreme - America was an ideal he still found being preserved after so many hundreds of years, and he latched on to it, convinced it would provide the answers he sought. Whether by the Courier's hand, an accident, or Ulysses' own, we know how that turned out. By the end of the story it seems as if Ulysses has decided that it's better to wipe the slate clean and begin again (intentional Dead Money allusion?), and, assuming that non-violent is the canonical outcome, his character arc, as solidified by the ending slides, finishes with him realising that the flag one pledges allegiance to doesn't matter - it's the meaning behind that pledge, and the positive action it can inspire, that matters.

Overall I think it was very much deliberately left ambiguous, both to help resonate personally with the player rather than just the Courier (the notion of home as a feeling or ideal vs. any particular place), and also because it's simply more interesting to try to piece things together rather than get a 100% perfect "this is what happened" answer on paper.

Anyway, suffice is to say, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not the strongest DLC gameplay-wise, but the environment and characters were extremely compelling and well-executed in my opinion. It reminds me a lot of Dead Money in that you really need to be invested in the world and story to get the most out of it, and overlook some of the weaker aspects... perhaps a bit more balanced than Dead Money (better gameplay, slightly weaker story), though. That said, I think it's an extremely fitting ending to the DLC saga and does a very nice job of providing a much more introspective conclusion. I much prefer this simpler approach over some banal "epic" crap or another open-world herp derp sandbox with grindy fetch quests.

Multi-headed Cow

Ed123 said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

Well according to gamefax:

Ulysses Log Y-17.16 - In The Crows' Nest, inside the top of the ruined buildings next to a bedroll.
Ulysses Log Y-17.17 - West of Sunstone Tower Roof, after detonating the warhead to progress in the DLC, turn to your right, you should see the roof of a building next to what looks like a series of apartment complexes. The roof in question has a hole in the side of it and a white Old World Flag on the roof. The log is inside of the hole, at the very end, underneath a matress. [FUCKING BULLSHIT IT'S ON YOUR LEFT IF YOU'RE FACING THE DIRECTION YOU SHOT THE WARHEAD FROM GODDAMN SONS OF BITCHES]
Ulysses Log Y-17.21 - Directly south of the Collapsed Overpass Tunnel Entrance. Behind a hard locked gate.
Ulysses Log Y-17.22 - Just beyond the High Road, once you reach the end, you should see a truck sticking out underneath an overpass. Jump up the rocks to get to the truck, turn right. You should see smoke from a campfire. The holotape is directly south of the campfire, leaning against a rock wall.
Ulysses Log Y-17.23 - Located just outside of Sunstone Tower Roof, from the entrance, head down the side of the building, descending the fallen structure hanging off the side of the building, at the bottom, go inside of the building and traverse another section of fallen structure. The holotape is on a desk in from of an average locked wall safe.
Thanks bro. 17.22 was the one I missed. Also went back and found the last ED-E upgrade and warheads on my lonesome to get ALL THEM ACHIEVEMENTS, and talked him out of fighting me. The one line of dialog I did incorrectly last time was saying "Yeah I'm just trying to see if I can stop you from launching the nukes" instead I have to say "NO BRO EVEN IF I DIE AND EVERYONE IN THE NCR DIES AS LONG AS I MAKE YOU HAPPY I'LL BE OK". Also missed this the first time I finished Lonesome Road, MCA spoils the grand question of PST. Roads change the nature of a man. God damn roads. :M

Now I gotta wait a week to get gun DLC for more achievements. :bounce:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:
sea said:
Ulysses only wanted to use the Courier for his own ends.

What did he need the courier for exactly?
My assumption is, aside from a personal grudge of some sort, Ulysses knew the Courier was one of the few who could survive the Divide and deliver ED-E.

canakin

Cipher
sea said:
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:
sea said:
Ulysses only wanted to use the Courier for his own ends.

What did he need the courier for exactly?
My assumption is, aside from a personal grudge of some sort, Ulysses knew the Courier was one of the few who could survive the Divide and deliver ED-E.

Well the other "one of the few" clearly being Ulysses himself why didn't he just get ED-E himself, or better summoned him via the override code shit he uses near the end of DLC? I changed my mind about this DLC, it's utter shit and only :incline: it brings is the cute ED-E moments :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom