Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

Elttharion

Learned

That thumbnail almost gave me a heart attack. For a split secont I thought it was some kind of bloodborne announcement.

Zlaja

Arcane
Fully customise your character’s appearance from a wide array of visual options, before selecting one of nine character classes

I like that you get to choose from specific classes, rather than start with a clean slate class less character. And hopefully there's more to differentiate the classes than just starting equipment. Some unique ability/skill for each class would be nice.

The original game also had classes, but they were effectively meaningless because they mostly played the same and only one of them was truly worth it. I think LOTF was on the mediocre side of the soulsclone genre, the locations are boring, the enemies are boring, the bosses are boring... It's like the perfect 5/10 game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/127479-lords-of-the-fallen-previews-6.html

PC Gamer:

As a puzzle device, the world-beneath-a-world thing isn't groundbreaking—an impassable gap in one world might be passable in another, for example—but I don't think I've seen it done with this kind of fidelity. The Umbral plane is absolutely everywhere, and can be inspected at any time with a magic lantern that not only lets you peer into the realm, but interact with it through a ghostly rift.

You can also dive completely into the Umbral realm, either on purpose or by dying. Once you're there, healing only gives you a block of temporary HP that evaporates with one hit, and if you die in the Umbral realm, you're dead for real and you lose a bunch of XP and return to your last checkpoint. If you find a special kind of altar, however, you can pull yourself back into the land of the living without sacrificing any progress.
GameSpot:

Like the original game, Lords of the Fallen seems to closely follow the Dark Souls formula in its minute-to-minute gameplay. You've got your standard and heavy attack, parry and staggering mechanics, spells, and magical items, all of which you use to overcome a challenging world filled to the brim with monsters and bosses that want to kill you. Your only respite is a series of checkpoints that refill both your health and healing items, but resting at these locations comes at the cost of respawning enemies you've defeated. Paths twist and turn, snaking through every distinct area--some even doubling back to create a more interconnected world.
Eurogamer:

"When we started," Virtosu said, "the golden standard was Dark Souls 3. The Dark Souls paradigms were Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne… we had Nioh and we had The Surge, we had examples. We had to do our own thing." At this point, he said, the team asked themselves, "what will be the place where people want innovation, three years down the line? The combat needs to be orthodox and correct, I think this is a place where we can innovate safely - thank god we didn't choose mounted combat!"
Shacknews:

The game also introduces a hotkey system to allow players to combine physical strikes with any assigned magical abilities more seamlessly, so long as you can nail down all the button presses. Instead of a dedicated button for parries, pressing the block button right before getting hit will initiate a parry. If it doesn’t go through, the maneuver will default to a block, so this should make defense less risky. Furthermore, if you want to make your experience even easier, you can play the game with a friend in seamless co-op that won’t require you to fiddle around with summoning circles and co-op items.
Sports Illustrated:

While exploring this other world, your character slowly loses their mind. As that happens, enemies descend on you, and you’re faced with illusions and other hardships. Reach an anchor before you go completely bonkers and you can return to the real world with all your experience points intact. The team also added customizable anchors, which you can drop anywhere in the world. They only last for a set amount of time, but you can effectively create your own checkpoints in the more difficult areas and give yourself a halfway house in the belly of the beast. When you reach New Game+, these customizable anchors are the only ones that exist – don’t place any checkpoints and you simply won’t have any. Oof.

coldaqua

Novice
cbiGLxx_d.webp

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

ferratilis

Magister
Nice try using Iron Maiden to make me buy your shitty game, but it won't work. Reviews first.

The original looked nice, but the combat was absolutely terrible. Unless they hired some Japanese developers, I doubt that will change with this title.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Looks pretty fucking dope
In fact the more game is shown, the more it seems to me like this might actually pretty good

They better not realease it near Elden Ring's DLC launch, otherwise the game will bomb

DemonKing

Arcane
Looks mildly interesting but very derivative of Dark Souls/Elden Ring in gameplay and art style. Never played the original as I heard there was only a handful of bosses.

Will wait for reviews.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Reviews suck. I'll wait for the Codex consensus :smug:

I like the art style quite a lot though. The bizarre satanic metal cover art style is very underdone and usually not executed as well as it seems to be here.

Lagi

Savant
meh...
watch the trailer on 0.25 speed.
There is barrel roll and side step dodge, which is nice, because alltime mopping the floor with yourself as common evasion move become jarring for me recently.
every time there is a fight with a boss, player shoot some cheap as magic projectiles. Lack of melee doesnt bode well, because why dont you use thouse spell to dispatch normal enemies as well?

XxQlKyD.png

... i didnt see any parry (3:05 is a shield block)
... game is faster than 1st. And slow combat was the main (if not only) selling point for LoF for me. :|

Why they even making a computer game? you make more money than from cinamtics this way?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The original game also had classes, but they were effectively meaningless because they mostly played the same and only one of them was truly worth it.
Ok so classes don't matter but one class is superior to all others? Cool story bro.

In reality classes in LotF are the same exact thing as in Souls games - you only choose your starting equipment, spells and attribute setup. From then on you can shape and mold your character as you like, just like in FromSoft games.

What makes the real difference are weapons - axes, hammers, swords, daggers etc. They play VERY differently. I've seen most people always go for STR weps, especially giant axes, and then complain the gameplay is slow and heavy. I finished the game 3x and I had the most fun by far with daggers. Dagger gameplay is fast, combo based and relies on parries. It's much more skill based than axes or hammers but it's a blast.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looks mildly interesting but very derivative of Dark Souls/Elden Ring in gameplay and art style.
That is their thing. They ape off of From Software and fail every single time. This is the devs' 4th try now I believe. They are just talentless fangirls.

1. This game is made by a totally different team (Romanian? Potato?). It's their first game.

2. Previous three tries were made by Deck13 (Ze Germans) and they didn't fail. The first LotF sold 3 million copies. For comparison, DS1 and DS2 sold about the same. Didn't find the numbers for Surge 1 and Surge 2 but I guess the sequel wouldn't have been if the first Surge didn't sell. Neither of those games are as good as Dark Souls or Bloodborne (nothing is) but they're very solid. I'd say Surge 2 is the best non-From soulslike out there.

3. Yes all these games are inspired by Dark Souls (Demon's Souls more accurately). It's called "a subgenre", specifically "a soulslike". Just like Wolfenstein 3D spawned first-person shooters, Dune 2 spawned real-time strategies or Diablo spawned isometric aRPGs. Only retards would dismiss games like Doom or Starcraft or Path of Exile as "derivatives".

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The original game also had classes, but they were effectively meaningless because they mostly played the same and only one of them was truly worth it.
Ok so classes don't matter but one class is superior to all others? Cool story bro.

In reality classes in LotF are the same exact thing as in Souls games - you only choose your starting equipment, spells and attribute setup. From then on you can shape and mold your character as you like, just like in FromSoft games.

What makes the real difference are weapons - axes, hammers, swords, daggers etc. They play VERY differently. I've seen most people always go for STR weps, especially giant axes, and then complain the gameplay is slow and heavy. I finished the game 3x and I had the most fun by far with daggers. Dagger gameplay is fast, combo based and relies on parries. It's much more skill based than axes or hammers but it's a blast.
Thank God there is another human being with a mature atitude in this God forsaken place :salute:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Some details I found on /v/:

>The cosmic horror elements are related to the Umbral, the limbo between death and the afterlife that can be seen in the trailers. From an art perspective its inspirations are, among others, HR Giger, Zdzisław Beksiński and surrealist sculptor and performance artist Olivier de Sagazan

>The lantern the player character is equipped with allows to stare into the Umbral from the living world, as well as to escape from it should you enter it.

>You can accept death and reset the world like in a traditional Souls game, leaving the currency you lost at the point you fell and returning to the rest site visited most recently, or decide to descend into the Umbral as a sort of second chance, searching for unique treasure and then seeking out a 'totem' that slides you back to reality. In this world, however, healing items are less effective and an insanity meter fills if you stay in too long. The Umbral can also be accessed through a 'deathwish' ritual that induces a kind of penalty-free demise, since there are items and loot that can only be found there

>The architecture of the real world and the Umbral interact with each other; for example, a chasm in the real world may be bridged in the Umbral, and even when living you could raise the lantern, which shows the Umbral overlaid on the real world as a kind of portal, and as long as the lantern shows the way, you could cross that bridge. LotF is a game about "observation and detective work", in which gaps and dead ends should encourage further investigation. As in games such as Soul Reaver, changes in a world may open new paths in the other. While smaller Umbral denizens cower from the lamp, larger ones may actually reach through the light and drag you to the other side

>Co-op play will be untethered and seamless, so partners will stay connected as long as they want: if you die, you switch to a spectator mode until a companion resurrects you. There are three multiplayer competing factions.

>The game's equivalent of the bonfires, called 'anchors', appear only sparsely at fixed locations, but their number can be increased by crafting them and placing them as you see fit. Their crafting materials can only be looted from Umbral enemies, however, and they wear out with use and can also be destroyed if found by enemies. During the first playthrough, there will be fast travel between anchors and the hub area, but in New Game+ there will be no permanent anchors, and the warping functionality will be restricted

>There are 9 starting classes to choose from at the moment (the number may change in the final release), and this choice may have an effect on how deeply you need to become acquainted with the Umbral - a necromancer can hardly avoid it

>The game is much larger than its predecessor, and completely interconnected. Every level branches out into other levels

>There won't be poison swamps

cruel

Cipher
I'm in if they fix the shitty combat from the first LotF. Looks promising so far, almost like they had stolen the art design guy from Mortal Shell or Blasphemous.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom