Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

This looks pretty neat. I like the lantern stuff. This style of game has definitely succeeded Diablo-like games as the best form of dungeon crawler. I just wish they had good spellcasting. That winged abomination staying in flight while using portals for guerilla tactics is outstanding.

cruel

Cipher

This actually looks better and better. The reviewers make it clear that janky combat from the first game is gone, and while it's not on From level, it's pretty good and enjoyable. Atmosphere seems to be solid as well. Cautiously optimistic.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
and while it's not on From level
Eh, people always say that. Yes, FS combat is gud. But it's not the best, there, I said it. Both Nioh 1 and Nioh 2 are better, combat-wise. AND they're better RPGs too, with better chardev.

Also btw, the dagger rogue in the OG Lords is a bucket of fun, a very satisfying combat style, fast combos, parrying, dodging and backstabbing.

Last edited:

Spike

Educated
and while it's not on From level
Eh, people always say that. Yes, FS combat is gud. But it's not the best, there, I said it. Both Nioh 1 and Nioh 2 are better, combat-wise. AND they're better RPGs too, with better chardev.

Also btw, the dagger rogue in the OG Lords is a bucket of fun, a very satisfying combat style, fast combos, parrying, dodging and backstabbing.
I do not agree re: Nioh. Love Nioh but they're going for different pacing of combat. Playing Nioh 2 now actually and having an absolute blast so cheers there.

DemonKing

Arcane

That image in your link (and the box cover from the end of the video) could literally be the same dude from the Elden Ring cover just with a slightly different pose...armour, sword, tattered cloak, ruins, blasted landscape - definitely not hiding their influences:

sds5.jpg

Lyre Mors

Arcane
The more gameplay I see of the game, the more interested I become. I'm actually kind of getting excited about it. Looks really solid.

agris

Arcane
Patron
OG’s aesthetic was pure WoW-style degeneracy, giant pauldrons and everything

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
The story was ok imo. A bit too Japanese maybe, but since I'm not a storyfag, I didn't care much. And tbh., the story was better than anything western devs shat out since.
But BBI is one hell of a dungeon crawl, especially if you go there early, and spellcasting in Dragon's Dogma is sublime.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
[...] This style of game has definitely succeeded Diablo-like games as the best form of dungeon crawler. I just wish they had good spellcasting. [...]

You already played Dragon's Dogma, right?
that game had some of the best dungeons. its too bad the story was a complete mess
Was it. Can't remember anymore.

Then again stories in Japanese games are famously written by monkeys randomly hammering their keyboards.

Then again that's preferable to the soy-estrogen sludge Western devs are spewing nowadays.

Old Hans

Arcane
[...] This style of game has definitely succeeded Diablo-like games as the best form of dungeon crawler. I just wish they had good spellcasting. [...]

You already played Dragon's Dogma, right?
that game had some of the best dungeons. its too bad the story was a complete mess
Was it. Can't remember anymore.

Then again stories in Japanese games are famously written by monkeys randomly hammering their keyboards.

Then again that's preferable to the soy-estrogen sludge Western devs are spewing nowadays.
originally dragons dogma was going to be much, much bigger, but they ran out of time or money or whatever, so they just tossed together whatever they had.

I tried playing dragons dogma on PC. It was clearly designed for controllers. The last thing I remember was killing a manitcore or a chimerra. It was a tutorial boss I think. I am not sure if I uninstalled it. That was maybe a year ago.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
If you're looking for an action RPG with strong emphasis on RPG elements and great spellcasting, you owe it to yourself to try that game again. And yes, it's designed for a gamepad, but so is Dark Souls. Get over it, PC supports all kinds of input devices. And it's absolutely one of the best RPGs, just takes a while to take off (until reaching Gran Soren).

Kruyurk

Learned
I love dark fantasy, love Dark Souls, Berserk, etc, but it seems to me that all these other ultra dark fantasy games share not only the same aesthetic but also the same memes. There is always some huge pillars of light going towards the sky, some boss with weird tentacles going out of his body, some decaying rotten boss, some fallen angel type boss, a NPC that will call the protagonist something "one" the cursed chosen. Every 5 second of the trailer there is some specific design element that I have seen in similar games, and it end up looking generic.

When I started playing the FromSoft games with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, the aesthetic felt fresh. It was familiar fantasy with knights and monsters, but the games had distinct personalities beyond the familiar. Now it is the opposite, dark fantasy games try hard to get a strong visual identity, but they end up all using the same memes.
But this is not only specific to dark fantasy, many games reuse the same aesthetic memes everywhere. Now it is diamond shapes, they are everywhere is UIs.

The game looks very cool though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom