Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

Kruyurk

Learned
If you're looking for an action RPG with strong emphasis on RPG elements and great spellcasting, you owe it to yourself to try that game again. And yes, it's designed for a gamepad, but so is Dark Souls. Get over it, PC supports all kinds of input devices. And it's absolutely one of the best RPGs, just takes a while to take off (until reaching Gran Soren).
I started playing Dragon's Dogma with a controller but then switched to mouse and keyboard, it felt better. I did the same with Monster Hunter World. If you take some time to find the good controls configuration, mouse and keyboard can actually feel good for these games. The few times I tried for Dark Souls it did not feel right though, but some people do it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dragon's Dogma is perfectly playable using mouse & keyboard, unlike the Souls games which require a console controller to play properly. :M

It wasn't hard with mouse and keyboard. The UI was just clearly intended for controllers. Everything was a scrolling menu. I remember thinking it was just OK. I probably didn't give it a fair shake. I am finishing up WotR. I will give it another whirl before going into Solasta.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
You have to give it a couple of hours though, it starts kind of slow.
It's one of those games that get better the longer you play.
And if you like your games difficult, throw your pawn off a cliff. :>

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
and while it's not on From level
Eh, people always say that. Yes, FS combat is gud. But it's not the best, there, I said it. Both Nioh 1 and Nioh 2 are better, combat-wise. AND they're better RPGs too, with better chardev.

Also btw, the dagger rogue in the OG Lords is a bucket of fun, a very satisfying combat style, fast combos, parrying, dodging and backstabbing.
You should be happy. This is a mix of everything including Bloodborne and Nioh.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Interesting tidbits in this video.

Their biggest innovation to souls-like combat is ... wait for it ... just one more moment ... the Umbral system! (starts at 3:09).

:hmmm:

(6:26)
is that um all the all the directional attacks that some of the genre has like for the attack back attack we have done away with that because we notice a lot of player pressing toward the enemy then we want to result in weird animations so we added the kicks and the bashes to um to uh combining combining two buttons and what we call the multi-attack uh the multi-hit uh with the with another combination of buttons and with and that creates this very amazing looking hit

"We didn't implement directional attacks because we cannot animate moving towards enemies" - Wtf!?

(8:34)
the game works our heavy attacks are just as fast as light attacks like there's no difference they still concatenate the difference is that you can hold them you can hold them as much as you want

These are really big brain moves a mere mortal would not understand.

Indeed, this was an interesting interview. It really put me off about the entire game. Good luck to the 1st day buyers.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Indeed, this was an interesting interview. It really put me off about the entire game. Good luck to the 1st day buyers.
Yeah. I need to see this one in action now before I make a call.
What are you two talking about exactly? I've listened to it and the dude clearly knows what he's talking about in terms of parries, movement, recovery animations etc. in soulslikes. Likely a fan, not just a dev.

Or have you been confused by him obviously not being an English native and stumbling over words?

abija

Prophet
What are you two talking about exactly? I've listened to it and the dude clearly knows what he's talking about in terms of parries, movement, recovery animations etc. in soulslikes. Likely a fan, not just a dev.

Or have you been confused by him obviously not being an English native and stumbling over words?

They were so off I instantly checked their carreers and were as expected. Fan of something doesn't automatically mean you understand it and are able to copy/change/evolve it.

abija

Prophet
I paused and looked them up at "nothing locks you in an encounter... [...] ...it's similar to dungeons and dragons in a way". Yes, it doesn't take much to trigger my bullshitometer nowadays.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I paused and looked them up at "nothing locks you in an encounter... [...] ...it's similar to dungeons and dragons in a way". Yes, it doesn't take much to trigger my bullshitometer nowadays.
Bruh, you are triggering mine.

You're on the Codex, either flesh your argument out or gtfo with your lazy out of context edginess.

abija

Prophet
There's no argument, he was speaking in keywords saying nothing of value so I looked them up. The creative director is pretty much a shit tier dev.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is out on twitch. A real dick move considering that the real release is next Friday.

It doesn't look bad but it doesn't look good either. The experience is jerky because of constant switch between worlds. The performance is not great either. It features a hub world and many "corridors". The first boss fight was formulaic and retarded.

The big innovation over DaS games: You can colour your armor now! :smug:

edit: of course heavy weapons are floaty.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It doesn't look bad but it doesn't look good either. The experience is jerky because of constant switch between worlds. The performance is not great either.
I've seen about an hour of play.

Graphix and performance (Fightincowboy's channel) was both great. Easily the best looking soulslike I've ever seen but that's no surprise considering it's UE5 while other soulslikes run on much older engines.

Animations and combat felt smooth as butter, no idea what do you mean by "jerky".

Switching between the worlds...dunno, have to see it for myself, postponing my judgement for now. Hopefully it doesn't pan out as one of those systems that look cool on paper but end up an annoyance, like world tendency in DeS. On the surface it looks interesting and raises the complexity bar of the game, with quite a few complementary features tied to that system (umbral charges, parasites etc.). But we'll see.

Overall very positive impression, except one thing - some combat sounds were positively weird, muted somehow. Felt like a bug.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Interesting tidbits in this video.

Their biggest innovation to souls-like combat is ... wait for it ... just one more moment ... the Umbral system! (starts at 3:09).

:hmmm:

(6:26)
is that um all the all the directional attacks that some of the genre has like for the attack back attack we have done away with that because we notice a lot of player pressing toward the enemy then we want to result in weird animations so we added the kicks and the bashes to um to uh combining combining two buttons and what we call the multi-attack uh the multi-hit uh with the with another combination of buttons and with and that creates this very amazing looking hit

"We didn't implement directional attacks because we cannot animate moving towards enemies" - Wtf!?

(8:34)
the game works our heavy attacks are just as fast as light attacks like there's no difference they still concatenate the difference is that you can hold them you can hold them as much as you want

These are really big brain moves a mere mortal would not understand.

The original game was trash

This will be trash too, if not worse

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You can tell toro and luj are already intensively kneading their anuses in preparation of copious shitting on the game 24/7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom