Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It doesn't look bad but it doesn't look good either. The experience is jerky because of constant switch between worlds. The performance is not great either.
I've seen about an hour of play.

Graphix and performance (Fightincowboy's channel) was both great. Easily the best looking soulslike I've ever seen but that's no surprise considering it's UE5 while other soulslikes run on much older engines.

Animations and combat felt smooth as butter, no idea what do you mean by "jerky".

Switching between the worlds...dunno, have to see it for myself, postponing my judgement for now. Hopefully it doesn't pan out as one of those systems that look cool on paper but end up an annoyance, like world tendency in DeS. On the surface it looks interesting and raises the complexity bar of the game, with quite a few complementary features tied to that system (umbral charges, parasites etc.). But we'll see.

Overall very positive impression, except one thing - some combat sounds were positively weird, muted somehow. Felt like a bug.

Ellajaz had frame drops on 1st boss. The game looks good indeed.

Animations are fluid outside of combat but in combat the rubber banding is annoying.

The overall experience is not fluid because of the world switching. The downside to constant world switching is that the game has no persistent specific atmosphere. It might not bother you but it definetly bothers me.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Interesting tidbits in this video.

Their biggest innovation to souls-like combat is ... wait for it ... just one more moment ... the Umbral system! (starts at 3:09).

:hmmm:

(6:26)
is that um all the all the directional attacks that some of the genre has like for the attack back attack we have done away with that because we notice a lot of player pressing toward the enemy then we want to result in weird animations so we added the kicks and the bashes to um to uh combining combining two buttons and what we call the multi-attack uh the multi-hit uh with the with another combination of buttons and with and that creates this very amazing looking hit

"We didn't implement directional attacks because we cannot animate moving towards enemies" - Wtf!?

(8:34)
the game works our heavy attacks are just as fast as light attacks like there's no difference they still concatenate the difference is that you can hold them you can hold them as much as you want

These are really big brain moves a mere mortal would not understand.

Indeed, this was an interesting interview. It really put me off about the entire game. Good luck to the 1st day buyers.

The original game was trash

This will be trash too, if not worse

It has nothing in common with the 1st game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The overall experience is not fluid because of the world switching. The downside to constant world switching is that the game has no persistent specific atmosphere. It might not bother you but it definetly bothers me.
Not sure I'd use words like jerky or lack or persistent atmosphere. Didn't have that impression. I just hope it's not gonna get annoying over time.

I remember I was annoyed af by the Dark Realms in Nioh 2 but eventually I got used to them. Ish. Then again those weren't too common. I really think this one have to be personally experienced over a few hours of gameplay to reliably judge it.

It has nothing in common with the 1st game.
That I can agree with. Only the title and presumably the setting? Which is irrelevant.
Gameplay, classes, magic, all the other systems are totally different. Looks like next-gen exclusive Dark Souls 4 more than anything else.

To be honest I have no fucking idea why they kept the name of the previous game. What a bizarre decision.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You can tell toro and luj are already intensively kneading their anuses in preparation of copious shitting on the game 24/7.
Honestly, I'm desperate to play a competent DaS close but it looks like I'm out of luck.

Lies of Pi seems ok except that I don't like to fight robots. Wo Long was retarded. Jedi Survivor's combat is crap.

And this one seems to be a mess. Many superfluous mechanics. Combat is floaty. Constant world switching.

But I do agree that it's too soon to judge it yet.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
To be honest I have no fucking idea why they kept the name of the previous game. What a bizarre decision.

Another bizarre decision was to add an OP mechanic to the game: you can use the lamp to temporarily extract the souls from most enemies and then do damage to their soul before the enemies teleport to their soul location while taking all the damage. Watch the video below.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Another bizarre decision was to add an OP mechanic to the game: you can use the lamp to temporarily extract the souls from most enemies and then do damage to their soul before the enemies teleport to their soul location while taking all the damage.
It's a mechanic. Whether or not it's OP remains to be seen.

You could've just easily said on your first DS1 run soul arrow is OP because OMG I can snipe mobs from afar.

We've seen a tiny snippet of the game so far.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I've seen some gameplay and the first real boss, so far it looks more like DS1 than Elden Ring, which is a nice change. The slower combat seems quite nice, although they could improve the impact sounds.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The slower combat seems quite nice, although they could improve the impact sounds.
Yeah, seems like a weird oversight considering the overall production values of the game.
If this is the game's biggest flaw, honestly, it doesn't bother me. The fight looks good and there are no endless combinations like in Elden Ring/DS3.
Of course, it may change later, but at the moment it looks really good and it could be a sequel to DS1 and DS2 which we never got.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The game also has a lot of potential for exploration.
I saw a clip of a guy using a lamp to cross a bridge and then turning it off to fall safely down onto a ledge.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Exploration, build variety, and measured combat are the name of this game. Couple that with the beautiful dark fantasy art direction, and that's when I knew it'd be good.

The build variety in particular reminds me of DS2. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Exploration, build variety, and measured combat are the name of this game. Couple that with the beautiful dark fantasy art direction, and that's when I knew it'd be good.

The build variety in particular reminds me of DS2. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Yeah, this is D1P for me, unless the release version comes out bugged af or some such.

Even tho I still haven't gotten around to Lies of P and Tymesia and Bleak Faith and Wo Long and Nioh 2 DLC, jesus fuck, and the Elden Ring DLC and Black Myth are probably right around the corner too. Plus who the fuck knows what else is in the works from this genre.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Yeah, this is D1P for me, unless the release version comes out bugged af or some such.

Even tho I still haven't gotten around to Lies of P and Tymesia and Bleak Faith and Wo Long and Nioh 2 DLC, jesus fuck, and the Elden Ring DLC and Black Myth are probably right around the corner too. Plus who the fuck knows what else is in the works from this genre.
Bleak Faith and Wo Long aren't very good.
Lies of P is the Bloodborne on PC we never got.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Lies of P and Nioh 2 DLC are the essentials in that list, for sure. Lies of P before Nioh 2 DLC, without a doubt. Just a fantastic game.

Wo Long has a chance at redemption when it's finally patched up. Bleak Faith's greatest strengths are exploration and intriguing setting. It comes last.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lies of P and Nioh 2 DLC are the essentials in that list, for sure. Lies of P before Nioh 2 DLC, without a doubt. Just a fantastic game.

Wo Long has a chance at redemption when it's finally patched up. Bleak Faith's greatest strengths are exploration and intriguing setting. It comes last.
I have Nioh 2 DLC at the top of the list, I love that game THIS MUCH but had to stop before jumping into the DLCs due to RL intervening.

But now that I saw LotF in action it's gonna come first, then Nioh 2.

Then I'd love to jump into Lies but by that point it's already Q1 2024 (really busy rn, less time to play) and if Shadow of the Erdtree comes out I'm gonna give that a crack first.

Then Lies and then I'd love to try Wo Long. I've seen a couple of people talk about it on a LotF stream and apparently Team Ninja are doing a good job improving the game.

Tymesia and Bleak Faith come last, read a few impressions and apparently they're flawed but potentially great if properly balanced and patched.

Unless Black Myth comes first, I'm really curious about that one.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I don't like Nioh 2 mainly because it's more of an action game than any software game

Rhobar121

Scholar
I watched the demo and, apart from one boss fight, I generally liked all of them.
I don't like fighting adds during the boss, although the boss itself was quite simple.
All the other bosses were very fun and I didn't notice any unfair mechanics or endless combos.
It's hard to say how difficult the fight will be because the person who played was clearly mentally disabled.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Imagine seeing a Soulslike and the first shit this guy is asking "Hows the magic goyz?"

Out of all ARPG genre out there

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Imagine seeing a Soulslike and the first shit this guy is asking "Hows the magic goyz?"

FS gives a lot of amazing questlines for mages in every souls game and always have cool spells and cool melee weapns like moonlight greatsword.

And except by games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Mount & Blade, I always play as an magic user.

There was magic, most of it p. powerful, some of it OP (Mimic, Rage).

Thanks. Any list of spells in game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom