Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Can't play as a pure pew-pewer tho, it's mostly support magic, like in Nioh.

That is the OLD game. HE is being re made and completely different. I can't wait to test umbral magic.

But I will wait till some reviews on its performance on Linux with PRoton launches before buying.

ultimately more varied than what you'd find in a Souls game.

Only interested in Umbral magic. Not in other two.

Last edited:

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Nice and comprehensive impression video that went up today, if anyone's interested in more info. Ignore the stupid thumbnail, it's not really the focus of the video.

Looking fucking good, boys. Looking pretty damn good.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lol, most of the lore and descriptions need high INT stat to decipher them :lol: So if I go pure STR it's like doing a low-INT run in Torment? Hilarious. A true blast from the past.

Also the dude praises the sound design...can't help but feeling the sound is so much worse than everything else about the game. It's like eating in a posh restaurant, the food is amazing and everything is super neat and clean but the waiter farts in your face constantly. Eh...

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Lol, most of the lore and descriptions need high INT stat to decipher them :lol: So if I go pure STR it's like doing a low-INT run in Torment? Hilarious. A true blast from the past.
Yeah, I really liked this. Though it's probably going to force me into at least a partial caster for my first playthrough. Which is fine, because I think for a second playthrough I'll do a full on Umbral run.

Also the dude praises the sound design...can't help but feeling the sound is so much worse than everything else about the game. It's like eating in a posh restaurant, the food is amazing and everything is super neat and clean but the waiter farts in your face constantly. Eh...
I haven't noticed anything too egregious yet, but I'm sure I will. Either way, I like good sound design, but it's going to do very little to tarnish the experience for me if it's mediocre.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Imagine seeing a Soulslike and the first shit this guy is asking "Hows the magic goyz?"

Out of all ARPG genre out there

Not going to lie, playing a hyper OP mage in Dark Souls 1 and ganking entire squads in multiplayer was peak power fantasy.

But eventually you meet some duelist that effortlessly hands you your own ass, so it's balanced gameplay.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Can the fuckhueg damage numbers upon attacking enemies be disabled? It feels like a cheap MMO with those floating numbers on screen.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
You can tell toro and luj are already intensively kneading their anuses in preparation of copious shitting on the game 24/7.
Honestly, I'm desperate to play a competent DaS close but it looks like I'm out of luck.

Lies of Pi seems ok except that I don't like to fight robots. Wo Long was retarded. Jedi Survivor's combat is crap.

And this one seems to be a mess. Many superfluous mechanics. Combat is floaty. Constant world switching.

But I do agree that it's too soon to judge it yet.

Lies of P is a great game, doesn't only have robot enemies.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Shhhh, don't tell him that. He might actually play and enjoy something for a couple hours before deciding he hates it.

Can the fuckhueg damage numbers upon attacking enemies be disabled? It feels like a cheap MMO with those floating numbers on screen.
Yeah, I'm hoping there will be a way to make them smaller or turn them off. I suppose a mod will fix it pretty quickly if not.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Shhhh, don't tell him that. He might actually play and enjoy something for a couple hours before deciding he hates it.

I have to be honest, I was put off by the faggy looking protagonist despite my friends recommending the game to me. I got to try it for free and it's quickly grown to be my 2nd most Soulslike game (DS2 my favorite). Take that with a grain of salt.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
This and also I'm not a fan of "victorian" aesthetic but apparently the game gets darker and weirder later on, that sounds way more attractive to me.
See, the setting was attractive from the start for me, largely because I seek out "strange" settings. Regardless of that, I was at first put off by the idea of fighting only mechanical enemies too. With a tiny bit of digging (ie, watching a few of the official videos put out by the developers) I understood automatons wouldn't be the main adversaries being fought. Even with that being the case, I'd kick myself in the head for not playing a fantastic game just for that reason alone. Thank goodness that great game also included something I'd like in the long run.

IE - Even if Lies of P didn't include organic enemies, it'd still be a great game simply from a gameplay standpoint.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So this might actually be good? The first game was very mediocre.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
So this might actually be good? The first game was very mediocre.
In my firm opinion, yes, from all I've seen Lords of the Fallen 2023 will be a good game. For those who don't know, it's a completely different studio heading up this release. Deck13 is no more in terms of this IP.

On that note, please understand the last post of mine is about a game called Lies of P, which has nothing to do with this game. We're simply talking about it because it came out around the same time and tends to share a lot of the same genre caveats.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

IE - Even if Lies of P didn't include organic enemies, it'd still be a great game simply from a gameplay standpoint.
Sure, even if LoP had only goofy robotic enemies with the goofy British police hats and goofy moustaches, like that first boss that I saw, I'd still play it, obviously.

I'm committed to eventually play all soulslikes, even the least attractive looking like Bleak Faith or Hellpoint.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Sure, even if LoP had only goofy robotic enemies with the goofy British police hats and goofy moustaches, like that first boss that I saw, I'd still play it, obviously.

I'm committed to eventually play all soulslikes, even the least attractive looking like Bleak Faith or Hellpoint.
On your insane voyage, Hellpoint is legitimately a good game. As for Bleak Faith, it's good in a lot of ways, but know what you're dealing with: it's a passion project of three developers that has an emphasis on exploration and world building. It's a rough go, but ultimately worth it in my eyes. Lies of P would take precedence before both.

Spike

Educated

Want to echo Jinn here: Hellpoint is good. Great exploration and level design, fun combat. I want to play all (or most...or the bestest ones) soulslikes too. Love this kind of game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

On your insane voyage, Hellpoint is legitimately a good game. As for Bleak Faith, it's good in a lot of ways, but know what you're dealing with: it's a passion project of three developers that has an emphasis on exploration and world building. It's a rough go, but ultimately worth it in my eyes. Lies of P would take precedence before both.
Have you played everything from the genre? If not, what not?

Have you played Tymesia and Pascal's Wager? Thoughts?

Want to echo Jinn here: Hellpoint is good. Great exploration and level design, fun combat.

I watched some of Lobos' playthrough, the level design looked confusing as hell (kindda samey aesthetics everywhere) and some boss fights didn't seem as good but if I ever get to the end of my list I will play it.

Spike

Educated

Have you played everything from the genre? If not, what not?

Have you played Tymesia and Pascal's Wager? Thoughts?

Want to echo Jinn here: Hellpoint is good. Great exploration and level design, fun combat.

I watched some of Lobos' playthrough, the level design looked confusing as hell (kindda samey aesthetics everywhere) and some boss fights didn't seem as good but if I ever get to the end of my list I will play it.
Hah, I like Lobos too. Fun to see him do Dark Souls mods that add bosses/enemies/etc. Hellpoint is worthy to play. There are a number of C list soulslikes I no longer want to touch because of various complaints, but Hellpoint seems like a solid B-B+. Possibly A-...? When I enjoy something, I tend to really enjoy it and I can isolate a game's strengths and really lean into them. Also cool enemy/boss designs.

Zizimaza

Barely Literate
This cinematic is insanely well done. Jinn posted a Youtube video above of the gameplay and holy moly this game looks impressive.

The animations, environment, particle effects, monsters, and sound design look top tier.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I watched Distortion playing Lies of Pi so much that now I want to play Lords of the Fallen :P

Spike

Educated
There are a number of C list soulslikes I no longer want to touch because of various complaints
Such as?
Stray Blade for one. There was another one that came out a few years ago that turned out to be too janky to where I didn't even play it. I have enjoyed every soulslike I have played to various degrees, even the lesser ones (Ashen B, Mortal Shell B-, etc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom