Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I watched Distortion playing Lies of Pi so much that now I want to play Lords of the Fallen :P
What's his thoughts about the game?
He was already speed running it therefore I assume that he liked it. The guy doesn't do impressions.

Try Asterigos: Curse of the Stars.

Spike

Educated
There are a number of C list soulslikes I no longer want to touch because of various complaints
Such as?
Stray Blade for one. There was another one that came out a few years ago that turned out to be too janky to where I didn't even play it. I have enjoyed every soulslike I have played to various degrees, even the lesser ones (Ashen B, Mortal Shell B-, etc).
Found it. Decay of Logos. Apparently the "feel" and mechanics were off. Also, Curse of Eternity I have dropped. I have also dropped Dungeons of Edera. So never mind, I have played some soulslikes I consider below B-. A couple other I have enjoyed: Chronos: Before the Ashes (B) and Remnant: From the Ashes (B to B+, fun co-op). Back to Ashes I played a little of and it felt good. Extreme indie, one guy. Loved the atmosphere and visuals/art direction, intend to play it fully whenever my marathon of A+++ tier soulslikes is over (Nioh 2, Stranger of Paradise). Perhaps before since it seems short. Not to mention the other A-tier soulslikes. Fromsoft rules!!!!!!!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Found it. Decay of Logos. Apparently the "feel" and mechanics were off. Also, Curse of Eternity I have dropped. I have also dropped Dungeons of Edera.
Dude, for real, I've never even heard of those, fuck me. And I thought I have a solid grip on the genre.

couple other I have enjoyed: Chronos: Before the Ashes (B) and Remnant: From the Ashes (B to B+, fun co-op).
I dropped Chronos in an hour and refunded, didn't click with me at all.

Tried Remnant, dropped it soon too but I feel I have to give it another chance, maybe the timing was wrong.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Have you played everything from the genre? If not, what not?

Have you played Tymesia and Pascal's Wager? Thoughts?
No, I haven't played everything from the genre.

I haven't played those either. Thymesia looks like it could be good, but I never pulled the trigger on it because it's supposed to be rather short. I'll definitely try it out someday. Pascal's Wager - while having a cool name - looks pretty shit, so I never gave it a shot. I could certainly be wrong.

Spike

Educated
Found it. Decay of Logos. Apparently the "feel" and mechanics were off. Also, Curse of Eternity I have dropped. I have also dropped Dungeons of Edera.
Dude, for real, I've never even heard of those, fuck me. And I thought I have a solid grip on the genre.

couple other I have enjoyed: Chronos: Before the Ashes (B) and Remnant: From the Ashes (B to B+, fun co-op).
I dropped Chronos in an hour and refunded, didn't click with me at all.

Tried Remnant, dropped it soon too but I feel I have to give it another chance, maybe the timing was wrong.
Oh there's tons and tons. I like diving to find the possible gems like Back to Ashes. I was also in the Bleak Faith discord (not a tranny though) and spoke with the dev directly. I intend to get that one too because I have a lot of patience for games if they are unique in some way or have strengths that make up for their weaknesses (like atmosphere) as long as the combat is serviceable enough. Just been broke lately is all.

Oh shit, I misread. Thought it was already out. But yeah the trailers look better. The combat was so fucking weird in the other game.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Oh shit, I misread. Thought it was already out. But yeah the trailers look better. The combat was so fucking weird in the other game.
Check out the video I posted on the prior page of this thread and you'll be able to see how much better it is in pretty much every facet

ADL

Prophet
Looking forward to the consensus on what's better: Lords of the Fallen vs Lies of P vs Remnant 2 vs Wo Long vs Jedi Survivor vs Blasphemous 2.
It's been a pretty good year.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
At its core, then, Lords of the Fallen is a perfectly acceptable Soulslike that's often fun to play and offers the same satisfaction at overcoming adversity. I enjoyed getting lost, defeating bosses, and discovering what grisly creature I'd encounter next. For experienced Soulslike players, it scratches an itch.

2/5 - Eurogamer
It's good but it's trash because it's too much like Dark Souls. I mean Dark Souls is fucking amazing but being too much like that amazing thing is bad.
I'm a modernday game journalist and I'm here all night.

Btw these clowns rated Lies of P 3/5 precisely for that same reason - amazing but only amazing in the same way that Bloodborne is therefore it's bad.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Ah yes, games journalism at it's finest. I know I always turn my eye to Eurogamer when I need a guiding hand.

From the PCgamer review:
When combat works, it flows like silk. The Umbral Lamp is a genuinely awesome addition. The worldbuilding, the visuals, the boss design—it's a great package, it just needs some fine-tuning. When Lords of the Fallen's great, it's great, and when it's bad, it's a frustrating, capricious labyrinth that hates you.

The game argues with itself. Bosses are fair and fun, but a touch too easy, while exploring Mournstead is a trap-flooded, enemy-overkill nightmare. The cogs don't link up and sing as they should, and the whole machine suffers for it.

That said, if you're hankering for a new soulslike game, one that goes back to the genre's sprawling megadungeon roots, Lords of the Fallen has a lot to offer. I hope we get a sequel, because Hexworks does genuinely have something magic on their hands. It just needs a little more of a delicate touch to really shine.
They gave it a 79%.

It's funny how almost always nowadays when I'm reading a review from anywhere, the "negatives" cited make me want to play the game even more. Deadly labyrinthine dungeon crawling that tests the player, with less emphasis on stupidly difficult boss battles? Hell yes.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
That Eurogamer article seems ragebait but I wouldn't be surprised if guy is that retarded.

"Deputy News Editor" - wouldn't be surprised if they operate without actual reviewers. I mean anyone can do it right?

Last edited:

Kruyurk

Learned
At its core, then, Lords of the Fallen is a perfectly acceptable Soulslike that's often fun to play and offers the same satisfaction at overcoming adversity. I enjoyed getting lost, defeating bosses, and discovering what grisly creature I'd encounter next. For experienced Soulslike players, it scratches an itch.

2/5 - Eurogamer
It's good but it's trash because it's too much like Dark Souls. I mean Dark Souls is fucking amazing but being too much like that amazing thing is bad.

Btw these clowns rated Lies of P 3/5 precisely for that same reason - amazing but only amazing in the same way that Bloodborne is therefore it's bad.
It must be so depressing for the developers to get this kind of bullshit reviews. I imagine that the game has a sizable budget, so the studio has to get some normies interested if they hope to make a profit. But for the developers, having these clown journalists with erratic behavior between them and the potential buyers must be so stressful.

IGN France gave them a 10/10 though. The game must be a tasteful baguette.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
HexWorks went full retarded. The streamers are allowed to play the entire game.

Well, fuck this shit. I will skip it.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
HexWorks went full retarded. The streamers are allowed to play the entire game.

Well, fuck this shit. I will skip it.
That's retarded, yes.
But are you deciding to not buy the game because of that alone?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Looking forward to the consensus on what's better: Lords of the Fallen vs Lies of P vs Remnant 2 vs Wo Long vs Jedi Survivor vs Blasphemous 2.
It's been a pretty good year.
They're all good games and it's only personal preferences to pickbest one from that bunch.

Spike

Educated
L

2/5 - Eurogamer

It must be so depressing for the developers to get this kind of bullshit reviews. I imagine that the game has a sizable budget, so the studio has to get some normies interested if they hope to make a profit. But for the developers, having these clown journalists with erratic behavior between them and the potential buyers must be so stressful.

IGN France gave them a 10/10 though. The game must be a tasteful baguette.
Lol what a joke. From WCCFTech, whom I usually like: "While the new entry in the series is objectively a better game than its predecessor, it is nowhere close to being the Dark Souls 4 that never was and likely never will be, mostly due to bad combat design and a general lack of polish." Later he goes on to say: "Enemy placement and formations are truly some of the worst I have seen in recent times, and what has made my time with the game often unenjoyable." Sounds like he was just butthurt too. At least he's criticizing how he felt the combat actually felt/responded I guess. He calls the combat floaty and lacking weight. This guy is usually pretty good so I guess he just wasn't feeling it but it's weird to see such a huge difference in opinion from site to site.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Sounds to me like encounter design is interesting, challenging, and engaging right through to the end of the game from everything I've read. Of course they're buttmad about it. All they want is to rush bosses and get their shitrags written.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have watched quite a bit Fextralife's and Cowboy's footage, plus some stream snippets here and there. Not a single impression of the combat being floaty and lacking weight. I guess I'll have to play it myself.

Ad "enemy placement" - is this a version of "gang squads" everyone's always prattling about when shitting on DS2? What's next, "Game feels uncomfortable, enemies can hurt you"?

Kruyurk

Learned
This guy is usually pretty good so I guess he just wasn't feeling it but it's weird to see such a huge difference in opinion from site to site.
Maybe the high variability in review score is because the game is being compared to FromSoft titles, either on purpose or subconsciously (most people reviewing the game have hundreds of hours accumulated on these previous titles). Everyone has their conception of what the best soulslike experience is, so the game gets bad review when it is too far from that. If that is the case, it is unfair criticism for Lords of the Fallen, because being as good as Dark Souls should not mean being like Dark Souls (or whatever your favorite flavor of soulslike is).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom