Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Proxy Duel

Nie Wuxing appears to be holding nothing back. Pacing restlessly, he is talking quietly to the participants that will be under his command. He has lent his Chunjun Sword to Bai Jiutian, recruited Zhang Minyue’s help, and Su Cheng of Taishan had volunteered his disciple’s service quite eagerly to make up the numbers. You are facing three Great Sword wielders in this fight; on your side, you only have Song Lingshu with her newly obtained Chixiao Sword, and the hope that the Twins’ familiarity with the duel’s style and their teamwork will be enough.

“Are you sure you can do this?” Nie Shuixian gives you an apprehensive look – she does not seem to have much confidence in your abilities. “You have not done anything like this before.”

“Don’t worry.” Giving her a lackadaisical grin, you say, “I’ll make sure you and your sister get out of this mess unharmed. All you need to do is to listen to my voice alone. Nothing else matters.”

“R-right.”

Turning to Lingshu, you say, “Are you ready?”

She nods confidently. “I’ll be fine. Just listen to your voice, right? I can do that.”

“Good. They’re already waiting for us, so let’s get this over with,” you smile.

As Song Lingshu and the Twin Flowers square off against their opponents, you consider your tactics one more time. You have practiced similar exercises with Master Zhang in the past, as a drill for both defensive and offensive movements. They were done in less restrictive conditions than this fight, of course, but you are not entirely unfamiliar with the concept. Nie Wuxing has the major advantage of his vast experience in this match: he can make his commands more efficiently, and more quickly to boot. The speed at which you can formulate and shout out your order is going to be a vital point. Furthermore, he has the advantage of possessing three Great Swords – of these, you have encountered the properties of the Chengying and Tai’e swords. You are not sure how much progress Lingshu has made with the Chixiao Sword, but she is unlikely to have mastered it to any reliable extent compared to those two. Similarly, Bai Jiutian should be unfamiliar with the Chunjun Sword… for a brief while, you wonder if that may be a weak point to exploit, but you swiftly dismiss the notion.

With or without a Great Sword, she is still the greatest threat on the field.

The Sword Saint signals the start of the match, and you turn your full attention to the fight in front of you. Nie Wuxing begins barking his commands swiftly, and the duelists make their move.

Three steps to the left.

Sea-Piercing Flying Stab.

Block. Downwards slash.

Waning Crescent Step.

Leap over your opponent and att-

No, go right to evade the oncoming stab.

You try to match them move-for-move, but as expected, the Twins show a slight delay in following your orders, as they attempt to translate your commands into actual moves that they understand. Lingshu fares better, as you are able to instruct her to execute the techniques that she has learnt from you. It is a difficult fight. You find yourself focusing intensely in order to avoid falling behind. Nie Wuxing is relentless. Zhang Minyue is perhaps the weakest of the fighters there, but her Chengying Sword is difficult to predict; often you have found yourself having to withdraw your combatants in a hurry when your attention shifts from her for just an instant, leading you to misjudge that thin blade’s reach. To your pleasant surprise, Lingshu’s Chixiao Sword seems to be neutralizing the fearful aura of the Tai’e Sword for now, but you are not sure if that will change. Bai Jiutian, on the other hand, is quickly proving herself to be a real nuisance. She is so self-assured of the moves to be taken that often she will have begun executing a move before Nie has even finished the sentence, and she has not made a single mistake thus far. Even with the Twins working together, you are finding it difficult to handle her attacks.

You have not been sitting idle, of course. Indeed, Nie Wuxing’s offensive strategy is powerful, and leaves you with little room to counter – though this owes more to the quality of his duelists rather than any ingenuity of his – but being forced to defend, too, is something that you are using to your advantage at the moment.

With the technique names being called out so eagerly by Nie Wuxing, your Wuxiang Qiankun has been slowly able to absorb and put together the moves of Huashan and Taishan that have been displayed thus far. At the same time you attune yourself to Lingshu, Shuixian and Mudan by feeling the movements of their qi, acting as an intermediary to meld their teamwork together more seamlessly.

The match is in Nie Wuxing’s favour thus far; you wonder if you should continue playing safe, consolidating information until you – hopefully – have enough to overcome your opponents in a single turn, or if you should attempt a gambit or two…

A. You continue ordering the girls to be on the defensive so that you can use Wuxiang Qiankun to gain an even fuller picture of your opponents’ techniques and counter them completely when the time comes.

B. You have the girls go on the offensive with what you have learnt thus far. This should provoke the use of more techniques from the other side, and should end the match faster. It will be far riskier, but just sitting back isn’t your style.

C. You have the girls move forward quickly, running towards and past Nie Wuxing. They never defined the arena for the fight after all. Let’s see him direct a fight when the fighters are jumping all around him.

D. You have the girls retreat, attempting to lure the enemy team past you. Your presence may be enough to throw them off balance, and by using yourself as a human shield you may be able to disrupt their movements.

A. You make full use of Wuxiang Qiankun, using the names you have learnt from Nie Wuxing to improve the technical performance of the Twins instead of having them follow your impromptu commands.

B. You hold back on this part: you don’t think you need to go so far to win. Your opponents may find it suspicious that you are able to figure out their techniques and use it for Shuixian and Mudan so swiftly after all.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
A helping of AB for me.

Sweet update.
Too bad you split it up treave, I was wondering how you wanted for it to play out entirely.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We'll get nowhere with conventional strategies, where the opponent has the upper hand due to years of experience. We have to lure them on a field they are unfamiliar with. That would be C or D. Time seems to be on our enemies' side, too, as we know we can't maintain that level of concentration forever. After an extensive use our qi collapses back into chaos again, as it did in our duel with Bai Jiutian.

Wuxing so far seems to be the weakest link - their players are individually stronger than ours, but he has shown himself prone to irritation and fits of anger when he is out of his comfort zone. I believe we can exploit this.

Holding back under any pretence is just going to ensure our defeat, as Wuxian Quiankun is the only thing that is keeping us afloat at this point. They might find it suspicious, but it's worth the risks. As we seem to be cutting ties with Wuxing, they would not be able to confirm their suspicions right away, and we've risked it before for less.

Leaning to CA, but will listen to the other ideas before committing.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Hmm..Using ourself as human shield has that certain unexpected delicious trolling element, but I can defninately see merits of A too.
Using WSQ seems to have no negative effects...Well Madam Nie is smart enought to put two and two together, but she might already found out that from Bai Jiutian.

I feel that moving fight to Nie wuxing direction might seem too much of assanation attempt with our reputation and I am not sure I want to deal with that shitstorm.

DA

Nevill

Arcane
I feel that moving fight to Nie wuxing direction might seem too much of assanation attempt with our reputation and I am not sure I want to deal with that shitstorm.
That's ridiculous. If we don't kill him, and don't order to kill him, who would accuse us, and of what?

On the other hand, if that breaks his concentration and interrupts the chain of command, it will win us a duel.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh yeah, to clarify, there are no clear rules about stunts like C & D, because no one's actually tried to exploit the match in this way, being nice and proper orthodox pugilists. It'd probably be seen as bad form for the tactician to join the fight, however, and for the duelists to directly attack him. Anyone's guess on what the call is if he gets in the way of the fighters, by accident or otherwise, but it may be worth noting that the Sword Saint is the arbiter here.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
That's ridiculous. If we don't kill him, and don't order to kill him, who would accuse us, and of what?

On the other hand, if that breaks his concentration and interrupts the chain of command, it will win us a duel.

Well there might be honest mistakes and then there are "mistakes".
They might think that moving the dueling towards Nie wuxing that we hope that there is that one mistake that pierces Nie wuxing heart and with our dishonorable reputation it would be very difficult to defend against Nie wuxing accusations.
Especially how smooth of talker Madam Nie is.

ChumBucket

Augur
There is one thing to consider: the "wonder twins" might balk at the idea of fighting near their father, being the good little Orthodox pujilists they are.

Nevill

Arcane
They might think that moving the dueling towards Nie wuxing that we hope that there is that one mistake that pierces Nie wuxing heart and with our dishonorable reputation it would be very difficult to defend against Nie wuxing accusations.
Especially how smooth of talker Madam Nie is.
If there is no murder, there is no problem. That's how I see it. Besides, those girls are all inferior to him in skill, they simply can't kill him even if they try. Two of them are his daughters known for their filial nature (prior to this, at least).

It is going to sound laughable.

No one from our own block will believe him. As for Wuxing himself, he is going to hate us for stealing his daughters and for losing on his own field regardless.

I would not be overly concerned with our reputation here, especially not the one with Huashan. That one is going to be unsalvageable.

There is one thing to consider: the "wonder twins" might balk at the idea of fighting near their father, being the good little Orthodox pujilists they are.
So would our three opponents. Wuxing will have to direct them in a way so as to not get hit, and they will try their best not to hit him - which might disqualify them for not complying with his commands if he errs in his judgement.

The girls have promised to listen to us. It's either this, or the life of a cripple.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Perhaps.

There is also a fact that the girls have to go past Bai Jiutian.
In another alternative dismension turning our back to Bai Jiutian left us having gigantic boner while we were dying. Of course the girls will not suffer such indegnious end, but giving a opening to Bai Jiutian sounds just bad idea.

Nevill

Arcane
There is also a fact that the girls have to go past Bai Jiutian.
In another alternative dismension turning our back to Bai Jiutian left us having gigantic boner while we were dying. Of course the girls will not suffer such indegnious end, but giving a opening to Bai Jiutian sounds just bad idea.
She can't react to that on her own, without Wuxing's command, though. If Wuxing does not expect it, he can't counter it. That's our opening.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
He is not that stupid not to exploit the chance when girls run past their opponents and their backs towards Bai Jiutian and company.
Now You are just understimating him as tacician.

Just to be safe side, Treave how much distance there is between tacticians and duelists?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not sure how to answer that question in a way useful to you without having to go into how many meters an average pugilist can cover per second, and I don't feel like doing that sort of calculation to be honest. At any rate, it's a just a small town square.

Nevill

Arcane
He is not that stupid not to exploit the chance when girls run past their opponents and their backs towards Bai Jiutian and company.
Why do they have to run past her with their back turned, and not just quickly retreat that way as they trade blows with her?

Why can't they swap places with our opponents? We do it all the time in our duels.

To me, that's an artificial difficulty.

Anyway, I assume that using ourselves as a living shield is not going to be very effective with Bai Jiutian, who would only be glad to have an accident - and it would be our fault for interfering with the fight, too.

There is also a question of maintaining our concentration while trying to dodge strikes left and right. Keeping everyone in our field of vision is going to be tricky for us and trivial for Wuxing.

I would prefer it over any of the standard tactics, though.

CA>DA.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Why do they have to run past her with their back turned, and not just quickly retreat that way as they trade blows with her?

Why can't they swap places with our opponents? We do it all the time in our duels.

Anyway, I assume that using ourselves as a living shield is not going to be very effective with Bai Jiutian, who would only be glad to have an accident - and it would be our fault for interfering with the fight.
It would ruin her reputation tho, and they will lose the duel.
I think that we should try something unexpected but at the same time not overly dickysh, hence my vote for D, C would look like an attack at the other team tactician while using ourselves as a shield still being trollish would be more 'proper'.

Absinthe

Arcane
B and D are both looking fail to me. B because our crew isn't used to the insanely dangerous sort of fighting that Jing does, and D because Jing's own concentration will suffer when he's between the Tai'e and Chixiao Swords with Bai Jiutian adding hostile intent to the mix and the Chengying Sword sniping hits whenever we lose focus.

That leaves A and C. Voting 2A because we need to make up for the disadvantage in experience.

CA>AA

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist

Anyway, I assume that using ourselves as a living shield is not going to be very effective with Bai Jiutian, who would only be glad to have an accident - and it would be our fault for interfering with the fight, too.

There is also a question of maintaining our concentration while trying to dodge strikes left and right. Keeping everyone in our field of vision is going to be tricky for us and trivial for Wuxing.

I would prefer it over any of the standard tactics, though.

CA.

It says so in choice.

C. You have the girls move forward quickly, running towards and past Nie Wuxing. They never defined the arena for the fight after all. Let’s see him direct a fight when the fighters are jumping all around him.

They try to quickly as they can to move past Nie wuxing hence turning their back to enemy.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
As for out own tactical ability to command while fighters are jumping around us.
We have been trained by Zhang Jue.

We are used to situations like these.

Nevill

Arcane
It would ruin her reputation tho, and they will lose the duel.
It's bad form to attack the tactician, but it's a bad form to interfere, too. Both sides would violate the rules, so it's not all that clear-cut.

Anyway, it's not the injury I am afraid of, it's losing. The same things that I expect to ruin the fight for Wuxing would be in play against us in D. The fact that we would be the perpetrator will be in our favor, but it still would be a mixed blessing.

Still. Liu Qi and zhang Minyue are not antagonistic towards us. We saved Minyue's life, and Qi knows us as the Emperor's savior. It might help our chances to involve ourselves, if you think they are likely to hesitate.

I guess I'll amend it to include D as a secondary vote..

We are used to situations like these.
Care to provide an actual example of us commanding anyone in a similar situation? Because I can't.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Elfberserker, we're not used to shouting orders in situations like these, though. Even if we can hold our composure better than most with something like that, we're already operating at a disadvantage, and this would only create another disadvantage.

Worst case scenario, Bai Jiutian provokes an arm reflex from Jing with killing intent and a move that comes too close for comfort, and we auto-lose for engaging as tactician.

D is just fail.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
We have been gone throught most hellish training in whole china. Our soul has been tempered by most brutal and frigtfully of opponents like Yang Xue and Zhang Jue. We have been inside of living fire with insane firelord.
If that sort of training doesn't gave us nerve of steel then I do not know what kind of training could preapere ourself to that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom