Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I have feeling that our attitude wouldn't have caused that much problem amongst beggars. They generally don't seem to give a fuck most normal social rules and they are pretty scoundralish in good way like we seem to be. Of course we probably wouldn't be as strong as our current Jing or Wudang Jing, but we would be pretty solid fighter with Dragon subduing palms and I have feeling that beggars wouldn't be that strict about using techniques outside of their sect.
However at the end of our first training session, beggar Jing would be probabry be one of weakest combat Jings, but with good stealth and speech skills as well good knowledge of the real world.
I feel that as far as attitude or personality goes our current Jing and Beggar Jing would be very similiar.

Shaolin is interesting, because I feel it would be lot like somekind of redemption story arc. A boy used in luxury and doing dirty deeds to prince in decadent Tang court comes to strickt and pure Shaolin temple and starts to learn good and simply life of the monk. I have feeling that late abbot Fangzheng would taught us his ways to mantain good public image, while whoring and drinking. On more serious note I feel that we would have been okay as long as we didn't do any great injustice like murdering innocents and start poisoning people...Well we would probably ended enduring lot of punishemnt like cleaning and extra praying, but we would had massively to fuck up to get our neigong stripped off. The only massive downside is that we could have no harem...OR at laest as pubcically as we do now.
The upside would be that we would had pretty good starting moves as well potentially learn terrifying defensive techniques and eye laser...And I do have to wonder would that old shaolin librarian fixed our neigong? Would he come to diffrent solutation than either Big Wang or Zhang Jue? Would he had been able to solve it?
Anyway I feel that we would have come from shaolin Jing would be probably one of strongest, if not the strongest Jing after the first training period and perhaps with decent scholar or artistic skills with him, but he would probably spend more time in training than any other character as well as have little to no knowledge of outside world. On otherhand, I have a feeling that those young shaolin monks would probably be broest of the bros in orthodox sects as long as we won't be murdering and poisoning unorthodox guy.
Personality wise Shaolin Jing would be most strick person and bit more humble, but more friendly or it may even encounter the trolling to go more suble direction. It's pretty difficult to think how Shaolin would had shaped a strong headed child like Jing in his formative years,

Hueshan would have been delicious place to start a harem and perhaps best place to learn sneaky orthodox character, if we attracted the attention of Madam Nie.
I feel that perhaps Hueshan could have been a place where there is most stark contrast between orthodox and unorthodox path in Madam Nie and Nie wuxing teachings way, while ironically both are pretty much in peace. It would be have been pretty exciting place to play intrique game, while worrying how to fix our neigong.
Not to mention said neigong makes us outcast in the hueshan
Hueashan is good way place to start harem in form of the twins and Bai Jiutian as well ability to use lot of cash compared to other sects. Not to mention would probably start or soon would have stumbled on pretty strong leads after initial training montage.
Speaking of training montages, I feel that Hueshan Jing would be one of top contestants after the first training session. We would probably have most moves out of techniques as well most skills in raw weapon skills, but perhaps only small boost drinking,scholarship,artistic skill or speech skills. Not to mention our knowlledge of real world would be limited.
Hueshan Jing would be probably most serious and perhaps more moody...Well as moody as troll like character Jing can be. On otherhand heushan could also have chance to make more sociable due the initial hurdle that he would be outcast and the extra work required to not to be outcast...Then Again I have feeling that we wouldd have gone with Zhang Jue in first opportunity we get, if we had gone to hueshan.

Wudang is probably second easiest place socially after beggars due neigong problem. Wudang guys would have been pretty excited about our neigong, of course the said attention probably leads to some jelous looks. Wudang would most likely allow most open mind and perhaps relaxed jing out of all jings...Perhaps more of thinking Jing than other action or speech oriented Jings....Wudang Jing would be most liekly most Zen Jing
We would defninately stayed in wudang, if not any other reason than our neigong. Of course there would have been other good reasons like Big Wang as well that pretty killer neigong and taiji fist/sword combo.
Ironically Wudang Jing would had probably been one of weaked dudes in the beginning. Taiji Fist seems to be one of those moves that drasitically get more power as users skills and understanding grows, but Jing wouldn't have much neither in the beginning. I feel that Wudang guys would probably push us to raise our mental stats or combination of mental and physical. I have feeling that skill wise we would have gottent scholarship,artistic, herbalism and pressaure points.
Of course Wudang Jing might be just be strong enought to be more powerful after neigong activation than our Jing after Southermaniac training arc.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Still, we have already established ourselves as a wayward soul and a rulebreaker.
We have jumped on her horse - because the rules didn't say we couldn't!

That was bit unexpected, but it didn't even bend the rules or at laest Ashina tribe didn't view it so. In that particle the best case for bending rules in that match would have been fighting like Yunzi, using whip to scare horse instead honorable dueling with fists alone. I say it was like fighting fire with fire rather than any rule breaking or outright seeking advantage of more honorable foe.

and in the very next one we have betrayed our duties of a bodyguard to save the girl.

We did have very good reason to believe that prince was safe and with lot of guards. Not to mention Yunzi was a princess and saving her could only be good for empire, there was very good reason to overlook the guardian duty for more secure future for Shun.
If it had been some random peasant girl, then we would have been more of rule breaker or bender.

We have accepted Yunzi's challenge against the Duke's wishes.

Technically we only had to obey Shun in that situation and he pretty much give us free hands, but you do have a point that we were wayward soul here.

Once we got a whiff of what being unorthodox was really about (and met our Master), you didn't see anyone complaining. It fit our character and our style like a glove.
Didn't you guys complain like hell about weak combat ability under Yao Shunshi? Or generally about neigong problem.
From what I remember there was lot of gruntling back then and only stopped when Zhang Jue entered in the picture.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That was bit unexpected, but it didn't even bend the rules or at laest Ashina tribe didn't view it so.
It didn't bend the rules because it wasn't in the rules. Like messing with Mudan's waist sash or the thing we are attempting currently.

You can't bend what is not there. But the choice clearly stated it was an attempt to take her by surprise by doing something out of the ordinary:
You will not give up; if she hates to lose, so do you. You jump onto her horse. You will continue the fight there - there is nothing in the rules saying that you can’t share the horse, and she did step on yours during the fight. Let’s see that stupid white horse take two people fighting on top of it.

We did have very good reason to believe that prince was safe and with lot of guards.
It's not the bodyguard's duty to 'believe'.

Yeah, I know, there were reasons to do the things we did. We are not a lunatic who breaks the laws simply because they are there. But we were expected to check up on the prince first and foremost. Not even by the prince himself, mind you - by the very rules of society that place the life of royalty above all concerns.

Technically we only had to obey Shun in that situation and he pretty much give us free hands, but you do have a point that we were wayward soul here.
Well, Shun didn't give us an order, while the other guy did (or a warning, or call it what you want, but the point is, he didn't want us to interfere). We were told to do as we please, so that means we wanted to do stuff that breaks the order. That's how I see it.

Didn't you guys complain like hell about weak combat ability under Yao Shunshi? Or generally about neigong problem.
From what I remember there was lot of gruntling back then and only stopped when Zhang Jue entered in the picture.
Not me. :)
Besides, that's exactly what I am talking about. People thought we wouldn't get far with unorthodoxy, and they were proven wrong.
Do you think we would have been that much more of a badass if we spent that year in the orthodox sect bullied for our pathetic neigong instead of wandering the land with Yao?

Grumbling is just one of our favorite pasttimes.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
It didn't bend the rules because it wasn't in the rules. Like messing with Mudan's waist sash or the thing we are attempting currently.

You can't bend what is not there. But the choice clearly stated it was an attempt to take her by surprise by doing something out of the ordinary:
You will not give up; if she hates to lose, so do you. You jump onto her horse. You will continue the fight there - there is nothing in the rules saying that you can’t share the horse, and she did step on yours during the fight. Let’s see that stupid white horse take two people fighting on top of it.

It's bit diffrent between those cases.
In ashina match jumping on other horse wasn't seen breaking any spirits of rules compared to Nie Mudan match. It was seen as shrewd and romantic kind of battle plan rather than anything near orthodox vs unorthodox fighting style, otherwise we would probably been booed from stage by the crow, if we had been against the rules either literally or by spirit of the rules. Not to mention Yunzi herself did use our horse as stepping stone, so it does seem that you can use opponents horse, if you are able.

In Nie mudan match we used pure trickery in martial artist competion to win a match and it was totally against spirit of the match. Judges actually had to discuss about legality of our match and there was quite uproar in orthodox side of thingsm primery in hueshan side, but the point stands.
It was unorthodox because it went completly against rules as well humiliating your opponent in a way that was not fitting in the battle arena.

We indeed had options to defeat Nie Mudan easily without resorting to strip her...Not that I am against it, but I think there are enought diffrences between Ashina match and Nie mudans that we can't really compare them in orthodox and unorthodox scale....Then again we would probably stripped Yunzi, if we had given the chance and that would have been unorthodox move.

It's not the bodyguard's duty to 'believe'.

Yeah, I know, there were reasons to do the things we did. We are not a lunatic who breaks the laws simply because they are there. But we were expected to check up on the prince first and foremost. Not even by the prince himself, mind you - by the very rules of society that place the life of royalty above all concerns.

Technically we were aide rather than just a bodyguard.
It's true that prince safety was foremost concern, but we didn't really have same kind of blatant disregard for rules yet than we have now. There were lot of logically good reason ensure that Ashina were happy with us as well lot of facts that prince should be in pretty good safe.

Well, Shun didn't give us an order, while the other guy did. We were told to do as we please, and we complied, which means we wanted to do stuff that breaks the order. That's how I see it.

I think it was one part of ignorance and one part of wounded pride, rather than break order.
But at that stage order did still matter to us, at laest order from Shun. Not to mention Jing has long history of followin orders of nobles.

Do you think we would have been that much more of a badass if we spent that year in the orthodox sect bullied for our pathetic neigong instead of wandering the land with Yao?

In the beginning? Yes.
Apart from obvious stuff like bit of fighting skill raising and nice set of techniques, we would still have our orthodox buddies to watch our back.
I do not think that we would have been bullied, but a bit of outcast depending on the sect. Hueshan seems to be perhaps harshes in this regard, but I do not think we would been alone, but we probably would have gotten some really close comrades.

The only reason we are badass as we are now is because of Zhang Jue and that is by a chance we met him. We would have been drastically weaker, if we had continued to travel with Yao. Not that there is anything wrong with the old man, but our tiger adjutant was just wrong character to be trained by him.

Grumbling is just one of our favorite pasttimes.

Very true:lol:
:bro:

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Huashan would be the 'hardest' starter path even with naturally high sword potential, but gives you an easy in to the intrigue and early meeting with the Sword Saint.

Nevill

Arcane
Oh? What would be the pretext for that meeting?

Did the Saint keep in touch with his former school? I thought he didn't want to do much with Brother Nie.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
We would had met sword saint earlier!?
I dread to think how high our sword skills woudl be, if we had impressed the saint enought to get that sword song earlier in this LP.
I guess we would have also got lot of comedy gold with Nie wuxing considering how protective he is of the twins :lol:. Not to mention I have feeling that there would have been lot of headbutting between Xu Jing and Nie Wuxing...Lot of trolling:lol:

Nevill

Arcane
I don't think we would be in a position to troll our own master or openly hit on his daughters. He could have easily kicked us out.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Well not blatant trolling as we do now, but perhaps more subtle. I think it would look bad on Nie wuxing, if he threw us out due temper tantrum.
I have feeling that even, if we didn't actively opnely hit his daughters, there would have been still some uncompromising situations. Especially considering our luck with ladies and that 1 luck stat:lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Going on missions for Huashan and he happens to be around to bail you and one of the twins out on a mess up. IOW plot contrivances. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Would there be One Hundred Men Battle equivalents on our orthodox path?

Nevill

Arcane
Well, we might have fought the Fire Cult at Wufushan. Still don't know who ordered that one and why.

Though obviously, we wouldn't be alone.

Or there could have been some bandit cleansing.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Probably, unless for some reason we would have been in Emei and been friendly realitionship with Qilin.
I think we would have eventually done some impressive martial artist feats, but I don't orthodox routes would allow something as impressive as one hundred man battle to be survivable alone.

We could probably do some cool shit with formation tecniques with Wudang guys or the twins.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
More chances for general badassery, actually. Being orthodox means you're always in the thick of things from the start, rather than wandering around.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Cool!
Then again there would have been more chances to die like a chump:lol:. I dread to think how meeting with Zhang Jue would have ended as orthodox character.:lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sword Saint-trained Xu Jing battling and impressing Zhang enough to start stalking him for a prospective apprentice, if you're lucky. :M

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Treave?
Would there have been a chance to pick techniques apart from the main technique on orthodox side? Or would the masters taught all the techniques without giving us a chance to pick?

Sword Saint-trained Xu Jing battling and impressing Zhang enough to start stalking him, if you're lucky.

Oh my god. There might not be literally nothing more terrifying than that.:lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Some choices available depending on your specialty, but less variety than unorthodox

Nevill

Arcane
Sword Saint-trained Xu Jing battling and impressing Zhang enough to start stalking him for a prospective apprentice, if you're lucky.
Had he ever thought about stealing Yandi?

Or was it considered too ungentlemanly? Or perhaps the Saint hid him well enough? :lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yandi doesn't have the savage cunning and desperate brutality of a cornered rat, which is what Jing would have needed to survive the encounter long enough to pique Zhang's interest. Assuming his qi was fixed by Wang Zhengchong at the time, that is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom