Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    C - This choice is not as a +harem+ from me - it's a leverage building option. Also additional sexual tension in the group is FUN!

Also Tsunzi
    :love:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    D is close to full retard option (B) - wonder how soon they wind up:
    a) sick/poisoned
    b) maimed by unknown assailants
    c) dead?

A is stupid because we have NO evidence.

C or E is the way.

^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Leverage? What leverage?

If Wuxing lets go of his daughters, they cease to be his problem. He might even denounce them. What use then they are to you, as far as 'leverage' goes?

In D, I imagine they don't go back to their parents - or do they? How far are they willing to push for their independence?

I view D as an option that lets them decide what they want to do with their lives when their head clears up, and accepting the risks of a confrontation with their father in the meantime.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    ^ Top  
  4. :killit::codexisfor:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Obvious outs:

E - What was the point of having them run away then?
    D - Whereas if we pretend we knocked them up people will at least understand why, afterwards, we must now take care of them, randomly showing up to whiteknight their 'independence', our unorthodox identity against their orthodox, seems weird. This isn't Disney feminist land.
    B - Again, why did we do all this if to return them to Madam Nie's turf? They won't be able to do a thing.

So, either we blow shit up (A) or harem them (C).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. I see D as less of an independence thing and more of a ditching them thing. We threw their lives into chaos on a whim, so I think D is just lame of us. Not an argument for C, just saying I don't want to see D take it for those reasons. Plus, the whole "duel" thing...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Kashmir Slippers Magister

Kashmir Slippers
    E>D

I think that harem bloat is going to be a problem from now on. Especially with the demon possession. We were lucky that forced inaction this time didn't mean a lot more trouble than it did.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    We are not at Victorian levels of prudishness, but it is still widely considered improper for good young women of proper upbringing to travel without a trusted chaperone if they are not nuns. Xu Jing does not in any way qualify as a trusted chaperone.

Every one of them except the beggars.

But the question of impropriety only arises in C as a way to force Nie Wuxing to accept the situation or risk even greater loss of face.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Here is how I see the choices.

A is out for me, because it should be fairly obvious we don't have a solid evidence to back our words. The twins want their father to admit his wrongdoings and change the way he is running Huashan, but all it would likely to achieve is ruin his reputation because his own family would be speaking against him. I also do not share Elfberserker's belief that he deeply cares about them - after all, he was willing to give one of them away to Man Tiger Pig - whom he despises, - because the political situation called for it. I think he values power and his public face much more than his adopted daughters.

Essentially, we would be exploiting their confusion to use them and then throw them under a bus. It would not help them achieve their goal in the slightest, but it might help us by weakening our enemies' position. A dick move, if there ever was one.

In B, the first thing that would happen is that we would have to give something of value to BJ to ensure her cooperation. And for the moment, WQS is the only thing we have. BJ can probably influence Madam Nie into not attempting anything drastic, but she is a very unreliable 'ally'. If she ever thinks she will gain more by betraying you, she would do it in a heartbeat.

It might pay off somewhere down the line, or we might never hear from them again.

With C, I think they will regret it as soon as the fog clears out from their heads. They called you a pervert just yesterday, and now they are to live their lives with you? There is no way they would agree to it if they were thinking clearly. They will also lose any right to influence their father they might otherwise have, because they would no longer be a part of the Nie family, as far as everyone is concerned. As much as I want them to join our crew, I think we would be taking advantage of them if we do it that way.

In D, I don't really see any substantial downsides, though others will probably fill this void fairly quickly. :) I see it as the most 'fair' choice, and the means to achieve it are pretty straightforward, too. It mentions a duel, and fighting is what we are made for. Not sure if Wuxing would challenge us himself (it is a bit unfair for the leader of the pugilistic world to challenge a boy), or if he would delegate this to his favorite Bai Jiutian on a condition that his daughters would have to return to him should we lose. I think our chances to pull it off are quite high, especially if Bai or whoever ends up as our opponent would not be fighting to kill - as should be the case in the orthodox duel.

E does strike me as a bit disingenious. We know they are in no condition to make a sound choice that would be in their best interests, yet we press them into making it anyway. It does not matter if we do our best to support someone's life choice if it was a poor choice to begin with. It is just shifting the responsibility.

It's not exactly a whim. They want to make their father listen, but they lack a voice to be heard. C does not grant them their wish, and robs them of any chances they might have had.

As for the survival - I expect it to go the same way as Lingshu thought it would for her. They go out in the world and make a name for themselves, instead of being a pair of dolls and spare change in their parents' negotiations. It seems to be working out for Miss Song even despite our initial screw up in Qingcheng, does it not?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    ^ Top  
  10. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Welp. While I like the twins, I dislike their parents more. Therefore, I wish to push for A

^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well we probably should not be fighting duels (probably against BJ or Nie) until our arm is actually stable so not inclined to go with D. No proof in A, as already mentioned, makes it rather unappealing. In B I can see no compelling reason why Madam Nie could not brainwash/discipline the twins as soon as they are alone with her, with or without BJ's consent, and to get them even a little protection we will likely have to make BJ even more powerful.

So that leaves C and E and of the two only C is an actual decision. E simply shifts the responsibility to the twins which may get us any outcome. C also seems like it has a fairly good chance to work though it will probably lead to a rep hit with the orthodox sects, at least until we can explain things to them...

E>C

It is not Jing's call to make. He gave them a chance, Qilin has laid out their options, now they have to figure out what they want to do. Simple as that really. A C-like scenario is probably safest for them but that sort of scandal will tarnish them and their father, at least in the short term, they should be the ones to make the call here as it is their family they will be ruining.

Failing that though might as well go with the option that keeps them reasonably safe until we can get our answers.

^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Why would we not make our injury known, then, to have a fair challenge? The Saint would back us, too.

Actually, I have mentioned that we don't have a compelling reason to keep our deal with the Saint a secret, only the circumstances of the said deal.

I also find it strange that we now try to avoid combat, even though half of the voters were pressing for a fight just an update ago. Granted, that might have been the other half. :)

I guess I'll vote D.

^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    I don't really want people to know we are not at the top of our game. Some of our enemies would ruthlessly exploit that fact. I doubt Madam Nie and BJ would have been as hesitant to engage as they were if they knew we were weakened for example.

I also don't want to drag the Saint into things if we don't have to. The man is a true bro, gave us his very arm, but he has done enough for us already. I don't think it is 'right' to drag him into another fight on our behalf unless there are no other viable alternatives.

^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    But they engaged us nonetheless, and our allies have bailed us out. What is the point of travelling with a whole entourage if you never rely on them? Together we can stop a small army - our temporary weakness is just an inconvenience when we have all these people to watch our back.

Why would we be dragging the Saint in a fight? We had an option to confess the loss of our arm to the Twins, didn't we? Why can't we confess it to the world? Why would he have to fight on anyone's behalf to confirm that?

Eh, it was a hypothetical situation, anyway.

^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Yes they did but they held back and I am not sure they would have if they knew we are 'weak'.

Look, it is like going into a fight with a guy you know has a bad knee. If you are not the type to worry about 'honour' then you are going to hit that knee, early, often and with something heavy, until he can not move, as it is the quickest way to victory. I don't like the idea of our enemies knowing that our arm might come off if they push us hard enough.

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    If it did mean a lot more trouble, we would be looking at forced action instead, no?

^ Top  
  17. Kashmir Slippers Magister

Kashmir Slippers
    Maybe. What I am saying is that the demon robbed us of a choice. Having too many dependents following us around increases the chances that we are forced to do something, whether it be action or inaction, that we wouldn't want to do because our followers are close to us and would need our help.

^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I think we've long surpassed the number of people that we can protect by ourselves. It's a good thing our people do not need much in way of protection. In fact, the more we have, the less we need to worry about them, as there is safety in numbers - especially if these numbers are made of exceptional fighters.

If we had less people than we did, we might have ended up dead. Our girls have bailed us out here.

The argument goes both ways. The only way to be sure the incident will not repeat itself is to travel alone, and it just isn't happening at this point.

^ Top  
  19. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Having a hard time deciding which option is best. So I'll fall back on self determination. E

^ Top  
  20. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    That kind of absurd confidence can only be the demon. Something tells me we're not going to like how he'd succeed, if he does.

Voting A>Not C. Any option where we bide our time is more likely to work out in Madam Nie's favor as she can plot and meet up with the Zhang clan. Confronting them now is more likely to make a mess of things and ruin their plans; plus, we actually have good rep with some of the sects atm. I also think Bai Jiutian is more likely to jump ship if Huashan's plans are getting screwed over and his own rep is on the line.

^ Top  
  21. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    A>B>E

^ Top  
  22. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    Can someone explain me in simple clear sentance, why would Xu Jing fight in D?
    It's about independence of twins, so I imagine that the twins themself have to duel rather than Xu Jing.

I wait and see more arguments before deciding.

^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Forgot to add in 'F. Sneak away like a thief in the night' for those that might prefer to postpone any confrontations.

^ Top  
  24. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    You mean sneak away with the twins, right? That could also be a decent choice, though in that case the problem would be that the twins themselves will feel it is not right and they will remain susceptible to manipulation the next time they see BJ / Nie.

For people voting E because they can't choose - uh, E isn't a get out of jail card. E means we give up control over what happens and then something out of the remaining choices will still happen. And given how confused and ambivalent these two are at the moment, it's probably an outcome we won't enjoy / won't end well. If you're going to vote E for such a reason, just abstain?

ANyway, taking Nevill's points on board, A is a situation where we will lack any concrete proof and the words of the twins as sponsored by MTP is unlikely to win over Nie / Madam Nie / BJ. B is one way ticket to Madam Manipulator. The remaining question is C vs. D:

-Is the demon at work in the confidence in C?
    -Which one is more likely to lose us allies in the spectators, C or D?
    -The duel in D would feature BJ or some other difficult enemy - can we handle it with our new arm?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.