Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Beggars' Sect. You must be a beggar to join.

Baltika9

Arcane
Then I guess we should get the ball rolling on getting kicked out of the palace, huh?

Esquilax

Arcane
Then I guess we should get the ball rolling on getting kicked out of the palace, huh?

:lol: With our luck, it might happen whether we like it or not. We have a knack for swordsmanship and given the amount of variety of techniques available for it, we have a lot of different styles to potentially choose from - which is why I'm reluctant about pissing off the Duke of Xiliang.

Sword
The sword has the most prestige in the pugilistic world and the widest variety of weapon techniques. However, a swordsman can expect to meet many challengers should he rise to fame.

We'll have lots of styles to choose from as a swordsman, I reckon.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not worried what the Prince will think about us. I'm worried what the Khan will think about the Celestial Empire as embodied by the Prince.

Well, it isn't the Prince out there beating the girl/getting his face ground in the dirt, and the challenge was directed at you, specifically. The Khan might not believe it reflects anything about the Prince, beyond the quality of the company he chooses to keep. That is as much as your character can guess at. It might be a misreading of the situation, but you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

Ok, I thought it through and decided - let's get beaten up by a girl.

A because it just looks more interesting. We get a tsundere girl (possibly) and a powerful enemy (definitely), all in one stroke.

Jester

Arbiter
A - as said Treave "know yourself" time to check how skilled our character is and how severely luck will interfere into it. If i am correct we are here to establish border so its not important who will win, but if we will make khan receptive. Taking into consideration that Khan is unwilling to take our state serious trying to change flow of this battle might be right decision. Duke may be grateful or less annoyed after getting credit for establishing border line.
A worthy man should be able to best me in combat.
This will make us considered worthy not actually in relationship and if we will use charisma we might influence this.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Throwing the fight is a damn iffy proposition. Best to honour the opponent and humiliate her utterly in combat.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You do get a choice of actions during the fight that will decide how it ends.

Throwing the fight is much too risky. We are gifted, but inexperienced and very unlucky. If we don't put a good show we might end up offending these people. Much better to play for the win. No need to go the extra mile and try to humiliate her though - make it a friendly competition instead (and I doubt we are that much better than her anyway).

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So here we are, playing a character with an unmatched combat potential, in the LP centered on martial arts, and the very first choice we get to make is whether to join a fight or not. Going for A seems like a no-brainer, which is why I am more interested in what happens should we pursue B.

It is highly unlikely that either choice is going to be clearly superior, and it probably affects our personality more than anything else. And I would like to mold our protagonist into something more sophisticated than "Hulk see combat, Hulk smash". Do we really like to be someone that leaps into the fight the second our superiors loosen the leash? The prince certainly expects us to do so.

The negotiations have already gone astray. Do you think you can salvage the situation all by yourself with this little scuffle? Are you a diplomatic figure? And if it all goes wrong, who is going to be blamed for it?

I say we let the Duke of Xiliang take the fall, and refrain from action.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I currently plan on closing the votes roughly one day after the previous update, keeping up this pace till the prologue ends, so if there are any flops please don't hesitate to do so.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
A.

I think this is supposed to be a gimme. treave said that if we were the Rabbit or the Goat we would be able to solve to problem because of our special abilities. As the Tiger we are the best fighter, so fighting is what we can do to potentially make a change in the souring negotiations.

Besides, as far as our character goes accepting makes sense. We know that we can fight. We probably are a bit headstrong and wouldn't want to look like a coward in front of all these people and our prince. He has given us the all-clear. Aside from losing, which I don't think is going to happen barring luck because we have one of the best possible fighters we could make, I don't really see what could go wrong.

Besides, we have to defend our prince's honor. The tart did just put him down in a big way.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kashmir Slippers said:
Besides, as far as our character goes accepting makes sense. We know that we can fight. We probably are a bit headstrong and wouldn't want to look like a coward in front of all these people and our prince. He has given us the all-clear.
It would not surprise me at all if our character were to fight. It is the thing he is most predisposed to.

However, are we also so easily manipulated by false pride and our peer's expectations that we can't turn down a fight that is meaningless to us? We just might be. Comes with the archetype, I suppose.

Or it might turn out that fighting in itself holds meaning to the character. It is up to us to shape him, but I would rather not travel this road.

Kashmir Slippers said:
Besides, we have to defend our prince's honor.
The boy won't get anywhere in life if he relies on others to protect his honor.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
You're approaching this from the wrong angle. We're fourteen and Princebro is setting us up with a hawt Mongolian priestess/princess. We'd be a giant flaming faggot to decline.

Plus, building a personal connections with the Mongolians will do wonders for our personal success. I want to build our boy up as an independent power player and wooing politicians isn't going to achieve that, he's not built for that.

Last edited:
There's also the simplest reaction: Are we really going to back down because of a woman that seems remotely good at fighting? What are we, a tiger or a rat?

There's also the fact we CAN fight, therefore we should fight.

Some men say that fighting is unecessary. The doctrines of Monk Mondblutinus of Ingriguo says that is blasphemy, for all fights are necessary!

Tigranes

Arcane
You bloody Eans, all of you.

Once again: this is a personality test, first and foremost. Do we want to just be the headlong rush dude and rely on the Prince NPC to get us out of trouble? Or do we want to be smarter and more prudent than the Prince while still being his impetuous buddy?

Baltika9

Arcane
No, I don't think it's a Biowarean "Renegade vs. Paragon" choice, our actions will have real impact on the negotiations, should we succeed.
Really, I want the Mongols in our pocket.

Kipeci

Arcane
A

We were told that other signs such as the rabbit or goat would be able to talk their way out of this situation due to their strengths. It just so happens that our strength is caving in faces with the best unarmed combat stat around rather than a nice discussion. The benefits to winning would be different than a successful negotiation or something, probably, but this is what we've built ourselves for and it's just a bit silly to hang back and do nothing. The negotiation process isn't really going anywhere, and it's much better to make friends with Turks before anything goes wrong than it is to remove worst Turk following their attacks. The empire isn't exactly in its best shape right now, it's best if we practice our combat skills now so that we can keep on with martial arts duels with our countrymen instead of getting peppered by arrows from armies of horse-riding nomads.

Also, in regards to this making us too rash, it's not as if we're demanding to arm-wrestle the Khan for the right to have his daughter become our bro's concubine. Generally, treave has been fairly good about letting us decide if we want to go leaping into any rifts or not.

Edit: Wikipedia declares that the Tujue were known as the "Kök Türks" in their own language and I thought this was funny.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Flopping to B, not that it really matters. I'm convinced discretion is the better part of valor

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
To clarify: just because the character is good at something doesn't mean that always picking choices that seem to play to his strengths will lead you to the best outcome in both short and long term consequences. This applies even if the character is, say, a genius. Sometimes it's better to be stupid, or at least pretend to be. I mean this in general, not in the context of this particular choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom