Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't think A1 is the best, for the same reason we cocked up by having Cao'er watch Nameless Shapeless. I think there is plenty of time to watch the -less people at work, and no doubt they are going to try and avoid showing their hand for as long as possible. It made no sense to watch both of them last time (I WARNED U :() because of this, and equally, we're going to get a lot more hints more efficiently if we watch them in the semi-finals or something. Because even if we don't get that far, they will. Actually speaking to them in B4 would be interesting but might yield nothing or draw their suspicion.

I would also like to point out that this tournament is going exactly like the Dragon Ball tournament where the protagonist is masked and a set of weirdos first bow out when facing each other and increasingly get fucked up /brutal, etc.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not voting A1 to watch the -less fighter. I'm voting A1 to watch the twin to the fighter Jing's about to face. This is about winning the next match, not about trying to figure out who's behind the masks.

Rex Feral

Prophet
I'm not voting A1 to watch the -less fighter. I'm voting A1 to watch the twin to the fighter Jing's about to face. This is about winning the next match, not about trying to figure out who's behind the masks.

You know I completely forgot who faceless was going up against. Yeah A1 makes a lot more sense since we find out about our next match. And I confused Faceless for Nameless (fuck me, right?).

Anyway flopping to A1>A3>B4

ScubaV

Prophet
a1.jpg

Jester

Arbiter
A1 i guess, lets check if our next opponent is worthy of charisma roll for increase of romance options.

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't think A1 is the best, for the same reason we cocked up by having Cao'er watch Nameless Shapeless. I think there is plenty of time to watch the -less people at work, and no doubt they are going to try and avoid showing their hand for as long as possible. It made no sense to watch both of them last time (I WARNED U :() because of this, and equally, we're going to get a lot more hints more efficiently if we watch them in the semi-finals or something. Because even if we don't get that far, they will. Actually speaking to them in B4 would be interesting but might yield nothing or draw their suspicion.

What we saw was exactly what we had anticipated; a thrown bout, and Cao'er providing clues to the identities of the masked fighters. We know that their leader is a woman who is not Han. I don't know how ethnic composition of Luoyang is, but if it's a homogeneous place, that's a big help.

B. You talk to some of the other contestants.
1. The Ashina fighter Lantu.
2. The Tibetan fighter Jixuan Wuni.
3. The oldest of the Wudang Brothers, Wu Jin.
4. The cock-masked fighter, Shapeless.

treave, will we get a chance to talk to some of these contestants later? I understand that Lantu and Jixuan Wuni might go home, but it would make sense that Wu Jin would stay behind to support his two brothers. If he's still around, could we talk to him in the spectator's area?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Luoyang is close to 100% homogenous. Most of the cities are. Even the border or port cities have a very noticeable Han majority. Given that the Chinese population at this time was estimated to account for nearly (or more than, depending on your sources) 30% of the world population, it's an expected outcome.

You would have to approach the Wudang fighter in full view of all the other Wudang students if you want to do it later. Lantu and Jixuan Wuni will be hard to locate after this, and there's no guarantee you can find Shapeless if he takes off his mask.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, how well does Jing unserstand the Tujue language? If Lantu has a limited grasp on Chinese, will we still be able to communicate relatively effectively?

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Bros, what do you think of this proposal: let's take a short-term risks in return for a long-term gain by ignoring the info on the Nie Mudan and instead talking to Wu Jin regarding details related to Murong Yandi's fighting style so that we can really perfect a counter against him. Talking to Wu Jin in private will mean that he's more likely to open up to us, but if we have to speak to him while he's with his fellow Wudang, he might be reluctant to share the details of the match, as that might be regarded as dishonorable; giving someone else an unfair advantage over someone that you just lost to just makes you look like a sore loser to everybody, so I doubt he'd be willing to divulge anything if we decide to approach him in public.

But if we use our inherent charm and quick wits in a private conversation, he'll definitely be of some help to us. I doubt we'd be able to get anything out of him tomorrow. Yes, I understand that learning about Murong Yandi is a moot point if we lose to Nie Mudan, but since he's the favourite to win (unless Guo Fu pulls a massive upset), this would really help us a lot in a match-up against him.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bros, what do you think of this proposal: let's take a short-term risks in return for a long-term gain by ignoring the info on the Nie Mudan and instead talking to Wu Jin regarding details related to Murong Yandi's fighting style so that we can really perfect a counter against him. Talking to Wu Jin in private will mean that he's more likely to open up to us, but if we have to speak to him while he's with his fellow Wudang, he might be reluctant to share the details of the match, as that might be regarded as dishonorable; giving someone else an unfair advantage over someone that you just lost to just makes you look like a sore loser to everybody, so I doubt he'd be willing to divulge anything if we decide to approach him in public.

But if we use our inherent charm and quick wits in a private conversation, he'll definitely be of some help to us. I doubt we'd be able to get anything out of him tomorrow. Yes, I understand that learning about Murong Yandi is a moot point if we lose to Nie Mudan, but since he's the favourite to win (unless Guo Fu pulls a massive upset), this would really help us a lot in a match-up against him.
I am against it.

First, a masked person has no charms to speak of. If you wear a mask, it means that you have something to hide. Not exactly a situation that most orthodox fighters face. Also, there is a matter of fairness that you have raised. Why would Wu Jin not be concerned with it if we talk in private?

Second, there is always Gao Fu to talk to. That is, assuming he loses, and you was quite certain he wouldn't some time back. Sure, he isn't particularly bright or perceptive, but you do not know a single thing about Wu Jin either. There is no reason to consider that he learned something from his match that Gao Fu wouldn't from his.

Third, we have taken a pretty good look at Yandi's capabilities during the preliminary matches, but we know nothing of Nie Mudan. It would be more prudent to ensure our victory here, first.

Lastly, I believe that Jing is much more adept at learning by seeing things with his own eyes, rather than hearing about them. Watching a match would simply be more effective than hearing about another.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane

I don't see it that way: the options that make the most sense are really A1 and B1, and their merits have been discussed already.
Getting to talk to the Ashina dude (our wolf fang amulet should be enough to completely loosen his tongue, we're a hero over there; ), so the only thing that can potentially stop him from doing that is a limited grasp of Chinese, unless he's a jealous rival for Yunzi's affections (KILL! MAIM! BURN! Even Zang won't be able to hold the contents of his stomach after he sees what we did to him!). Which I doubt is the case, the Ashina knew enough to feast and converse with us, surely he learned enough to get by over here before his trip. Conversing with him gets us a better view of WTF is going on in the world, and hopefully with Shun (Princebro is exactly the type of prince that would get involved in this shit, anything to get away from the palace) and Yunzi as well (I actually think she's the Shadow Wolf and the Lantu may indeed know something about that). Which is why I'm going for B1 right now.

Or we could directly scout out our next match in order to make it farther. Honestly, though, I'm not too worried about our next fight, sure it'll be tough and we may very well lose, but I'm sure Jing's got this. However, in terms of just gathering information on our opponents, it is just the smarter move than scouting out Yandi again because, for one, he may not even make it through Guo Fu, and then we wasted a chance to observe two opponents that we'll never face in the tournament (not necessarily in real life, though), and two, we still have the Mudan triplet to deal with and between scouting for the immediate match we know will happen, versus a future match that we're not sure will happen, I'm taking the latter. If we're talking about useful long-term information, then B1 is definitely the way to go.

About Fu's match, treave, can we bet some money on Murong Yandi right now so that our shit luck will jinx him and make him lose? I really want the big guy to advance to the finals.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
He's got really good odds so if he wins you won't get any money though. Betting on Guo Fu, on the other hand, has the potential to earn you a lot more.

Baltika9

Arcane
Naw, I'm just trying to weaponize our shitty luck and jinx Yandi by placing a bet on him. I really want Guo to make it to the finals. For that matter, if we ever do face him in the ring, I don't know if I'll even be able to make the call for us to win, the dude is so BRO that it wouldn't feel right.

Rex Feral

Prophet
For Guo to make it to the finals it means we have to lose to him on the next match. Yeah, fuck that, the guy's a bro, sure, but even if he gets past us he still has to defeat Yifang and probably Nameless/Faceless in the final. His odds are pretty bad.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
He can still make a good showing, and hopefully be accepted into one of the sects. That was his declared goal. He does not necessarily need to win the tournament to achieve this.

Esquilax

Arcane
treave, is the tournament set up with fights taking place immediately one after another up until the finals? Or will there be a respite of say, a day or two once we head to the quarter or semi-finals? I'm just curious as to whether or not we'll get the opportunity to investigate the leads we have on our impostors in the near future, because I don't know how this tournament is set up.

For Guo to make it to the finals it means we have to lose to him on the next match. Yeah, fuck that, the guy's a bro, sure, but even if he gets past us he still has to defeat Yifang and probably Nameless/Faceless in the final. His odds are pretty bad.

Yeah, we aren't going to throw the match against him if he ends up pulling the upset against Murong Yandi. This is an honorable competition, and there is nothing wrong or immoral with beating his ass in the tournament here. I'd like to at the very least make it to the past the quarter-finals, ahead of either Murong Yandi or Guo Fu. But I'm not letting the big guy slide out of pity. He wants to get past us, he's got to do it the hard way.

He can still make a good showing, and hopefully be accepted into one of the sects. That was his declared goal. He does not necessarily need to win the tournament to achieve this.

Pretty much. The dude beat one of the Wudang's best, and if he beats the Sword Saint's disciple, the orthodox sects are going to be tripping over themselves to snatch him up. This is the equivalent of finding some insanely talented and underrated player in the late rounds of a draft.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
This round is the last for today. The semifinals and quarter finals take place on the next day, and the final the day after.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm going to take a bit of a leap of logic, and hypothesise how the disasters of our bad luck will work out narratively. Large events/storyarcs we become entangled in will be set against us from the start, by that I mean if we aren't proactive enough, forces will align to screw us over badly. We haven't really encountered anything particularly exemplar of this yet, so far our bad luck hasn't gone beyond horses dying and bad weather, well, that and bandits being dicks, and a kerfuffle at a minor school. I think our bad luck goes beyond that though, I think wherever we go, people will conspire against us, and involve us in their schemes, people that we haven't even met or heard of. Now that we have a name and a reputation, people will use us in their plans, which will usually involve screwing us over badly. I think we're going to get the first example of this here at the tournament ( Fairly obvious now with the masked figures, I know).

Unless we do something particularly noteworthy to upset their plans, we will come out of this worse off than we entered. I don't know what to do right now with the current choice, but if we get a chance to upset the schemes of our puppet-masters, we need to leap at it if we want to have any chance of a good outcome. I think treave will offer us a lifeline for really major disasters, but the choice will not always be recognisable, and a seemingly innocuous choice could spell our doom. (Like in Epic, where we didn't choose to go to Greece after Marduk had launched his invasion, before treave in his mercy offered us an out)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And that ended up turning Greece into a wasteland. :lol:

Well, it's still early days... we're only on chapter two.

...We must first create before we can destroy.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm going to take a bit of a leap of logic, and hypothesise how the disasters of our bad luck will work out narratively. Large events/storyarcs we become entangled in will be set against us from the start, by that I mean if we aren't proactive enough, forces will align to screw us over badly. We haven't really encountered anything particularly exemplar of this yet, so far our bad luck hasn't gone beyond horses dying and bad weather, well, that and bandits being dicks, and a kerfuffle at a minor school. I think our bad luck goes beyond that though, I think wherever we go, people will conspire against us, and involve us in their schemes, people that we haven't even met or heard of. Now that we have a name and a reputation, people will use us in their plans, which will usually involve screwing us over badly. I think we're going to get the first example of this here at the tournament ( Fairly obvious now with the masked figures, I know).

Unless we do something particularly noteworthy to upset their plans, we will come out of this worse off than we entered. I don't know what to do right now with the current choice, but if we get a chance to upset the schemes of our puppet-masters, we need to leap at it if we want to have any chance of a good outcome. I think treave will offer us a lifeline for really major disasters, but the choice will not always be recognisable, and a seemingly innocuous choice could spell our doom. (Like in Epic, where we didn't choose to go to Greece after Marduk had launched his invasion, before treave in his mercy offered us an out)

Yes, so far our bad luck has not actually hindered us too badly. We ended up rescuing Cao'er, saving Yao, and even developing a good relationship with the Abbess. And we're being personally trained by one of the Five Great Pugilists. All in all, not bad for someone considered to be terminally unlucky.

So how do you suggest not becoming the victim of this scheme at hand? I believe that we had made the right choice in pursuing the impostor instead of focusing on Yiling, and I also believe that we made the correct choice in having Cao'er observe the Nameless vs Shapeless match to give us a lead on the masked fighters here. Given the choice between thwarting the conspiracy against us and winning the tournament, the choice is extremely easy for me: we must stop what these people are planning and we have to find out how Nameless, Shapeless and Faceless fit into this. If this means forfeiting the tournament, then so be it.

So do you think it would be a good idea to talk to Shapeless before he leaves? We would be talking to him knowing who his superior is, and knowing that neither of them are Han. However, while this is a start, we don't know where they reside or what their purpose is. If we see a guy on the street who isn't Han, there's still a very good chance it would be some innocent traveler who made his way here. It simply isn't enough to go on, and we need more. I'm thinking of flopping to B4 based on that.

That being said, I think we haven't been ignorant of the situation and we've taken a pretty proactive stance on the conspiracy, which is good. The question is whether that's enough given that we still don't have a rock-solid lead yet.

And that ended up turning Greece into a wasteland. :lol:

Well, it's still early days... we're only on chapter two.

We must first create before we can destroy.

Well, that's the thing, we came in late to the party. By the time we had arrived, Marduk had a piece of Vajra in his possession after he had slain Hephaestus. If we had come earlier and taken that piece before he had managed to secure it, or we had an awareness of Zeus' mastery of Vajra, powers of teleportation, and a sense of his personality, we may not have fucked up as badly.

Really, going for Egypt instead of going where the actual war was taking place put us in that bad position to begin with. Of course, zapping Marduk was stupid because it was too good to be true, but all the other stuff I mentioned certainly didn't help matters much.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I believe that was a clusterfuck five-part choice so any discussion about Egypt may have been over-shadowed by other concerns. Like Shulgi. :lol:

asxetos

Augur
Finally, i catch up to the action after reading the whole 460 pages of epic and 152 pages of this in 2 weeks.
I got to say it, treave, your CYOAs are amazing.

Going with the A1 croud on this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom