Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tigranes

Arcane
Let me note one thing. Given treave's comment about our damaged arm and dwindling stamina, I think the consequence to B would be that even if we win, we will be in no condition to take on Nameless. I think Choosing B here will essentially rule out winning the tournament.

So, do we really, really want to win, given what we know now of Nameless (not Shun's enemy, but probably planning something violent, Persian, weird fighting style we won't have easy exposure to)? Or do we feel that we're better off bowing out, either immediately or after giving it a good go?

I don't know. I don't mind my options not winning, but after the last vote, I don't see how any of the current options could lead to a good outcome for any of our medium term plans. I don't think we can win the tournament playing fair and square after our exacerbated injury, but we've already shown so much of ourselves that forfeiting with C is also rather suboptimal. And I think everyone is now expecting some kickass fighting from us. But that's ultimately not the most important thing, is it? Same as the beggar's bets? I mean, he is a beggar.

C for now. I'm really convinced that there's going to be some trouble at the end of the tournament, I've beenc onvinced of that since the start, and I don't think we should literally give it everything we've got - skills, bones, testicles - just for what? A Shaolin technique manual? Sorry, we already have a lot of techniques, a lot of opportunities to get more, and we have plenty of opportunities to beat Yifang, too, with two arms not one.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So you are dropping out of the tournament because of... something?

There is literally no reason left not to win now that we had shown our hand and the masters know of our identity. Might as well enjoy ourselves.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A - We have to win now.

edit: really, though: from now on, I'm making all my decisions based on the fact that you are all a bunch of ADD fuckers playing a power fantasy. Maybe it will still work out, but heck we all agreed it'd be bad to reveal our techniques during the tournament. If you have a strategy in place, you should stick to it, not throw it out for a skill boost and an ego satisfying, though possibly Pyrrhic, victory. So much facepalm, bros. Ah, well. Great update nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
I can't really think of negative side effects of pissing off the nuns.

The Abbess already knows what is coming next.

Esquilax

Arcane
Show must go on, especially since Qi Liuwu has bet on us again. Even though we were unconscious at the time. I hope he isn't planing to do that the third time, we might not be so lucky against the Nameless.

No, he will do it, because the honorable, respected Masters of the orthodox pugilistic world are all degenerate alcoholics and gamblers, with Master Qi being the worst of the lot. This probably explains why he's a Beggar - he keeps making horrible bets! I mean, look at this:

“Yes. He’s really the only one who’ll bet with me now that Wang ran off to meditate. I’m going to clean that old baldie up to make up for all the other bets over the years. So…please don’t lose.”

All the other bets over years. This means he's been making lousy bets and getting cleaned out by the Abbot for fucking years. He's hoping that we make him back all the money that he's lost over that time! Qi will definitely keep betting on us. :lol:

And, as Smashing Axe said, we need to make him money so that he shares more of his stuff with us. I'm pretty sure that the folks who voted to go for the Beggar mission back when we were with Yao will agree.

So, do we really, really want to win, given what we know now of Nameless (not Shun's enemy, but probably planning something violent, Persian, weird fighting style we won't have easy exposure to)? Or do we feel that we're better off bowing out, either immediately or after giving it a good go?

I don't know. I don't mind my options not winning, but after the last vote, I don't see how any of the current options could lead to a good outcome for any of our medium term plans. I don't think we can win the tournament playing fair and square after our exacerbated injury, but we've already shown so much of ourselves that forfeiting with C is also rather suboptimal. And I think everyone is now expecting some kickass fighting from us. But that's ultimately not the most important thing, is it? Same as the beggar's bets? I mean, he is a beggar.

C for now. I'm really convinced that there's going to be some trouble at the end of the tournament, I've been convinced of that since the start, and I don't think we should literally give it everything we've got - skills, bones, testicles - just for what? A Shaolin technique manual? Sorry, we already have a lot of techniques, a lot of opportunities to get more, and we have plenty of opportunities to beat Yifang, too, with two arms not one.

Bro, it's pretty much "in for a penny, in for a pound" at this point. We've already displayed our full range of techniques, so now there is nothing left to do for us but to go for the win, reveal our identity, and issue our challenge to the various sects publicly. The die has been cast.

As for our medium-term plans, well, I think that this has really neutralized the WiB's ability to turn the situation in their favour. They tried to turn Guo Fu into a scapegoat, but since he was beaten by Man Tiger Pig decisively, people won't believe that he's Zhang's apprentice anymore. They can't turn Man Tiger Pig into a scapegoat either, because the crowd loves us even more than they love Bai Jiutian at this point. They'll love us even if we are Zhang's apprentice, because we're exciting and different from the previous champ.

We've already displayed our full range of techniques, so now there is nothing left to do for us but to go for the win, reveal our identity, and issue our challenge to the various sects publicly. The die has been cast.
Well I agree about wining and revealing our identity, but would it be necessary to issue our challenge right here? Why not go at them one at the time instead. This way we could catch the first couple of sects off guard, and since we have publicly declared our real identity after (hopefully) winning the tournament they wouldn’t be able ignore our challenges or send cannon fodder first at us - they would have to take our challenge seriously.

Baltika9

Arcane
Holy shit, can anything break Guo Fu? Going for B on this one, just so I can bitch and moan if A fails.
Conspiracy theory: the Masters know that Zhang's disciple is probably going to challenge the Eight Sects, so Qi Liuwu is encouraging us to win so that he can watch our style more and more.

:troll:
Even better, with his experience and contacts in the palace, he already recognized us as Shun's spy and is drawing us into a trap to reveal ourselves!

Jester

Arbiter
A

Because I am really curious how it gets used.
similar A for me
You guys have done well in calling treave's bluffs so far.

But one day your overconfidence will be your undoing. One day our terrible luck will punish us for our risktaking.

And on that day, I will be there to gloat and say... "I told you so".
Come on there is such occurrence in every Treave CYOA. Epic got rift world, this place will get some maximum fuck up by codex to. Its like family tradition.

My favorite from the Epic had to be killing Kyrie and getting Earth bombarded from orbit, though we managed to turn that around in the end. That or sphere diplomacy.:D

treve seems to have some sort of bizarre castration fixation, so no doubt "little Jing" will suffer the consquences this time. Ironic given everyone's desire to LARP Rance.

Well, my desire to LARP Rance then. :D Whatever. I'm still going to laugh when Jing gets his balls chopped off...

Baltika9

Arcane
About that, we should really speak to Miecao about her granddaughter. The girl be cray-cray.

Nevill

Arcane
Fuck Zhang's mission, I'm off to find Scholarbro after the tournament and introduce the two.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
My favorite from the Epic had to be killing Kyrie and getting Earth bombarded from orbit, though we managed to turn that around in the end. That or sphere diplomacy.:D

treve seems to have some sort of bizarre castration fixation, so no doubt "little Jing" will suffer the consquences this time. Ironic given everyone's desire to LARP Rance.

ScubaV

Prophet
A - We have to win now.

edit: really, though: from now on, I'm making all my decisions based on the fact that you are all a bunch of ADD fuckers playing a power fantasy. Maybe it will still work out, but heck we all agreed it'd be bad to reveal our techniques during the tournament. If you have a strategy in place, you should stick to it, not throw it out for a skill boost and an ego satisfying, though possibly Pyrrhic, victory. So much facepalm, bros. Ah, well. Great update nonetheless.

There's a certain saying regarding that.

As for this choice, perhaps B might lead to + Yifang points (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py3-9juOsYU).

However, I still want to beat Nameless and I see no reason not to exercise our hidden Trolling skill. A

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
A
Color fail on my phone. I too want to see how he uses the cap.
Awesome fight btw.

Kipeci

Arcane
What caused our rep to suddenly go down with Taishan and Huashan while getting boosted for Shaolin, Beggars and Wudang?

Esquilax

Arcane
What caused our rep to suddenly go down with Taishan and Huashan while getting boosted for Shaolin, Beggars and Wudang?

Well, we were already at -5 with Taishan because we decided to hang back while Murong Yandi beat the living shit out of their team, so I guess that caused some animosity. Considering that we haven't displayed any of our techniques until this fight, I think it has to do with the Huashan and Taishan being butthurt at our secrecy throughout the tournament, like we didn't bother to try against them. Now that we've beaten Guo Fu with a style that's completely unknown to them, they're suspicious of us and want to see the face behind the mask.

The boost with the Beggars obviously is related to Qi putting money on us and the Shaolin boost is probably related to the Abbot finds us entertaining and enjoys our antics.

Speaking of the mask, it's good that nobody who could be affiliated with the WiB saw our face while we're still injured. Whatever their plan is, it hinges on using Zhang's apprentice as a scapegoat, and now that we've beaten Guo Fu, nobody will believe that he's the real apprentice. They may have to abort whatever it is they wanted to do altogether because of this, because things are more likely to be traced back to them.

Well I agree about wining and revealing our identity, but would it be necessary to issue our challenge right here? Why not go at them one at the time instead. This way we could catch the first couple of sects off guard, and since we have publicly declared our real identity after (hopefully) winning the tournament they wouldn’t be able ignore our challenges or send cannon fodder first at us - they would have to take our challenge seriously.

Well, if we've already revealed our techniques and our identity after becoming tournament champion, then we aren't exactly catching anybody off-guard, are we? We're issuing the challenges because we're in a place where the heads of Qingcheng, Emei, Shaolin, Kunlun, and the Beggars are all present. As the champ and the disciple of the feared Master Zhang, they'd have to accept the challenge since we've proven ourselves worthy. But hey, I suppose we're putting the cart before the horse here. We'll see what our options are if we manage to actually win this thing.

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
I don't know about Taishan, but I'm sure our Huashan rep dropped because we disrobed their pretty little flower.

On a related note, since Bai Jiutian seems to really desire the affection of onlookers I suspect he will be especially susceptible to trolling. I can't wait.

Kipeci

Arcane
We'd already suffered that drop with Huashan, this is an additional one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom