Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    Excellent. I wonder, would we have beaten her with D or somehow one of the other two options? This certainly appears to have worked out, though.

I'll go with A, wolf fisting our opponents into submission is better than sneaking.

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Called it.

:incline: We're definitely coming back here, oh yeah.
    Going for A, seems like our guy's style. Strong and fast, he's not one for sneaking. And bows? Are you fucking kidding me? Also, what would've been the outcome of D?
    Looks like an incomplete sentence, bro.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    For skills in which you have no ranks, you can obtain the technique but will usually be unable to execute it until you train the skill to the appropriate rank. That doesn't apply here, special dispensation for the prologue. If you pick the qinggong or bow you'll get an automatic rank one in the relevant skill.

Furthermore, techniques can increase in level up till 10, and descriptions of the levels will be given in the skill sheet as you advance. Of course, higher level techniques require higher level of skill.

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Ah, fixed it.

D would have been a victory. You manage to catch the whip, but don't pull on it immediately. The princess instinctively tries to pull back and you take the chance to give her a helping push before she thinks to let go of the whip. She almost drags you down with her by lashing the whip around your leg, but sadly this isn't Moria. Interestingly, even though you win, you don't get as much bonus reputation with the Ashina as in C because they appreciate your daring 'love confession' a lot more. But the Duke would be satisfied with the outcome.

B would have been the worst choice. You would have insulted the Ashina and especially the princess by just giving up like that. Duke would be displeased at your stupidity.

A would have worked - you don't get as much love from the tribe, but you don't anger the Duke either.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    ^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So it was the absolutely superior choice then, just with less tsundere involved?
    Goddammit.

^ Top  
  6. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    darn.

We must distinguish our guy from Ean by assembling a harem with all possible haste, but I do think that this way is a bit better. We can return when we come to our senses instead of getting forced together at ~14, and I think this way was probably better for relations with the tribe. Maybe not.

I don't think we'd have gotten the chance for wolf-fu if we had won the challenge, but I guess I could be wrong.

^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, if you're looking to get the Wolf-Friend title by the end of the prologue, you would have wanted C to maximize reputation with the Ashina.

You would still get a selection of techniques if you win, it's partly for being a good sport and accepting the challenge. Goddammit we are only in the prologue, let me railroad you guys around just a bit. :(

^ Top  
  8. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    I'm going to go ahead and say that this was the best outcome, then, except for that our own country's court is on a pretty quick path to despising us.

^ Top  
  9. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Fuck them. We're a Wolf-Tiger.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    B - We're already a fairly strong warrior archetype, adding some utility to our skill mix seems prudent. Plus, who knows what secrets we could uncover in the palace with our stealth skills. Also guys, we're a god damn Tiger, they're silent as fuck. In addition our agility is high-enough to support this. Let's be a stealth warrior, rather than an upright fighter. I don't think we've done a really stealthy dude before.

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Goddammit dude, we already missed the chance to play the rouge. :rpgcodex:
    A makes a lot of sense for our dude: he's fast and strong, with this style he'll be a killer.
    Edit: what sign was the Prince born under, treave?

^ Top  
  13. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  14. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Come on, you can't say this isn't a killer technique.

^ Top  
  15. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    Also, while we are a 'fairly strong warrior archetype,' at least as far as a fourteen year old can be, that doesn't say that much when we get into the realm of people who know what they're doing.

Consider that at Rank 1 (like what we have for unarmed combat), treave's description says: "You have a basic grasp of this skill; at least you know it is about, if not what you should be doing."

This should bring us up, what, one rank or so? That'd land us at the lofty heights of Rank 2: "You understand what you should be doing, but you are not very good at doing it." We definitely need some work here. Even if we go up two ranks, the one that follows is merely 'competent' and we should aim higher.

^ Top  
  16. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Oh, I know what happened to our agility. I was just kidding.

Anyway, I don't know how much is B going to help us in palace intrigues. The description specifically states "in the wilderness". But it still looks like an interesting choice, so B it is for me (plus I don't know why a stealth technique that works in wilderness wouldn't work in say gardens or even on the streets). Unarmed fighting is not something I'm a fan of (I can't help but feel that having a weapon, any weapon is an advantage) and bows... well it sounds good, but I'm not sure how much use we are going to have from it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    ^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So is this (1:20, onwards):

It's not like we have shard enough teeth to go around biting hands off. And stealth isn't a good tool for when you're in a straight up fight or when we're the ones being ambushed.
    Weapons can break, they can be stolen. You can be disarmed, but your fists and feet are always there.

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The Prince was born under the sign of the Tiger (always the same as you), but he also has the background of Gifted As Fuck.

Also, you would have gotten another selection of techniques if you came with a different set of stats. Even the bow skill here is geared towards firing quickly rather than accurately. It's more of an acrobatic bow technique like, uh, Legolas?

Hm, I wasn't planning on giving a skill rank up for picking the unarmed technique, actually. You have enough grasp of unarmed that he can teach the technique without having to instruct you in the very basics, while with the other skills he will spend a bit more time to get you to a level where you can execute the first level of the technique.

^ Top  
  19. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    When we gain skills in unarmed fighting, that means that we are never without weapons (unless someone amputates our limbs or something, at which point we have bigger problems). With effort, we could be that guy who could kill water buffalo with a single blow.

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Make Xu Jing learn the needle spitting skill then. That way, even sans limbs he is a threat, until someone cuts his head off. But at that time he no longer has to worry about anything any more. :lol:

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Like Mas Oyama?
    [​IMG]
    :yeah:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Right, but if you are in a fight and you do have a weapon, that is a definite advantage. Even an improvised weapon can be quite effective - a simple stick can greatly increase your reach, damage you dish out and allow you to deflect other weapons - trying to parry a sword with bare hands is not fun.

^ Top  
  23. Ifeex Scholar

Ifeex
    Voting for A, might flop to B, not sure yet.

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Unless we learn how to intercept a sword between our palms.

^ Top  
  25. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Why parry swords when you can break them?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.