Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
I do agree with you that wandering around as our own man would be the coolest option, but we should follow the narrative structure where we join a strict temple, learn their ways, act out, and then move on to learn our own path. Getting a good foundation in martial arts seems pretty necessary before we start free-forming. Also then we get old rivals and members of the sect trying to hunt us down for using their techniques.
So, why not seek out teachers on our own? I'm sure we'll find many if we bother to look in the right places. For instance, we could join a mercenary company and learn their ways, or find some recluse that has mastered an obscure hand-to-hand style, etc... Moreover, there's this
You can use B for things like stalking animals (and humans) and not leaving tracks. At high levels you'll be able to run through a forest and slip past all the branches in your way without leaving a sound, for example. The more you learn, the more you'll be able to do. What you can expect to pull off will be described in the technique list on the character sheet.
So we'll definitely won't perish in the wilderness. I just don't like the idea of someone dictating what we can and can't learn, creating our toolkit seems a much more rewarding challenge with better payoff down the line. I mean, an experienced fighter will definitely know our styles once he deduces which sect we belong to, but someone who learned techniques in no particular structure own ways will be unpredictable and harder to beat.

Baltika9

Arcane
Master Shul Gi has to be hiding somewhere. He'll show us what's being a wolf is all about.
:troll:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think you're right Balitka9. It sounds like the most interesting, wild card option. Changing my voting priorities.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So, why not seek out teachers on our own? I'm sure we'll find many if we bother to look in the right places.

Because you have terrible luck. :troll:
So we're trained by the worst masters in the land, learning advanced techniques that leave us off-guard and awkward. Through our dedication and natural talent, we will combine these terrible techniques and turn them into a unique fighting style that will catch the pugilistic world off-guard.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That's actually a rather interesting narrative... hm... well, we'll find out more about our Tiger lad's drawbacks in martial arts soon.

Baltika9

Arcane
Because you have terrible luck. :troll:
Well, from what I've seen so far, the smarter we are about the choises, the less opportunities misfortune has to strike. In other words, the better we cover our ass the less dumb shit will happen.

Kipeci

Arcane
We were explicitly told to infiltrate the pugilistic sects. Screwing off to the wilderness and learning unorthodox tactics we're not built for anyway is not a great way to get in good with them.

Baltika9

Arcane
There's much more than just that going on, bro. There are the assassins, the mystery of our birth (are we in fact Huluzi's illegitimate lovechild?) and fortune. The Prince is also giving us a way in with some of the sects, the most civil and frie dly to the Imperial Court. Honestly, these guys aren't the enemy, the real enemy are the ones that are hiding in the shadows, fight fire with fire, I say. Or better yet, thunderfists.

The Prince basically gave us reign to act as a free agent, I want to make the most of that.

Voting (in order of preference) E > B > C.

E because is sounds like the most interesting choice and one most likely to give some results.

B and C both focus on techniques for which we already have some skills.

Baltika9

Arcane
We were explicitly told to infiltrate the pugilistic sects. Screwing off to the wilderness and learning unorthodox tactics we're not built for anyway is not a great way to get in good with them.
Wait, what? How are we not built for unorthodox tactics? We have the cunning, the guts and the creativity. In fact, it's the exact opposite, Tigerbro is built for that.
treave, what is so bad about being unorthodox? Are there some kinds of stigmas and penalties associated with that?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll quote myself again for reference:

The 'code' is more of some general guidelines. You'll find out more about what is considered orthodox and unorthodox when you begin the first chapter: but in essence, orthodoxy is what the main orthodox sects say it is. But yes, generally an orthodox person is seen as an forthright, noble, upstanding guy, while unorthodox characters are deceptive, cunning and sneaky. This can be reflected in the techniques they use. The scale will affect your reputation with the various sects depending on which side they skew to.

You can also be hanging around with unorthodox people despite being upstanding yourself and get tarred with an unorthodox reputation, which may close some paths. Basically, it is impossible to please all factions.

The stigma associated with being unorthodox will be that you won't make any good first impressions on orthodox sects. Your behaviour will generally be too carefree and chaotic for them to respect. Of course, you might build personal friendships by bailing their asses out, but all in all they won't treat you nicely.

Orthodox sect members are also the majority in the pugilistic world, so by being unorthodox you will naturally become an outcast. Of course, there's a thriving underworld of bandits, assassins, mercenaries and all sorts of evil-doers, and these are by the pugilistic community's definition very unorthodox, so you won't be that lonely. But it's definitely a more dangerous place to be for a fourteen year old boy. People will think you have a death wish to willingly hang around with brigands and scoundrels.

As for techniques, unorthodox techniques are stereotyped as being cunning and vicious. They might not be unpredictable, but there will be elements in their moves that are frowned upon by the more upright members of society. For example, they could be designed specifically to maim or mutilate, or they could involve the use of poisons and sneak attacks using hidden projectiles. There are also the skills that harm the user when practiced and skills that have a high chance of driving the practitioner into insanity, or even changing his or her personality for the worse (this includes self-castration). These are techniques that can only be used in a deathmatch, as they are highly lethal. Orthodox techniques are healthier and safer, and in terms of power both types are ultimately evenly matched, though unorthodox techniques may increase your power faster than orthodox ones do, and usually at a price.

Murder, by the way, is heavily frowned upon by the orthodox sects. They do fight to contest their strength and gain supremacy, but in non-lethal sparring matches. Of course, killing is allowed in vengeance - say, someone murdered your family and you have rather definite proof - and also allowed in self-defense. This is not to mean that the unorthodox are totally chaotic with no rules; there are several major organizations that keep a semblance of order, though in general it is like herding cats with them.

Xu Jing is able to learn both sides of martial arts due to his high stats. The only arts he can't pick up are those that rely on the user being retarded enough to truly comprehend the essence of the technique.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So nothing stops us from being a straightforward orthodox type even if we strike out on our own?

Baltika9

Arcane
There are also the skills that harm the user when practiced and skills that have a high chance of driving the practitioner into insanity, or even changing his or her personality for the worse.
Yeah, that explains the psycho turbo-feminist we met in the ambush. :lol:
The stigma associated with being unorthodox will be that you won't make any good first impressions on orthodox sects. Your behaviour will generally be too carefree and chaotic for them to respect. Of course, you might build personal friendships by bailing their asses out, but all in all they won't treat you nicely.

Orthodox sect members are also the majority in the pugilistic world, so by being unorthodox you will naturally become an outcast. Of course, there's a thriving underworld of assassins and mercenaries, and these are by definition unorthodox, so you won't be that lonely. But it's definitely a more dangerous place to be for a fourteen year old boy.
So, it's like Clint Eastwood's "Man With No Name"/Chinese Ronin then, but we can play it on the "good side?" Oh hell yeah, sign me up. I'm definitely not going down the path of madness for "moar powah, faster."

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So nothing stops us from being a straightforward orthodox type even if we strike out on our own?

Not really, no. The problem is that you may only be able to pick up one or two orthodox techniques easily from wandering pugilists. Most of what you learn will probably be unorthodox, given that you aren't in a proper school. This means that your fighting style will reflect that, and the moment you begin building your reputation, you will be regarded as unorthodox. Not to mention the people you hang out with will be unorthodox, and as a fourteen year old, you can be impressionable. I figure it will take a few chapters of non-stop do-gooding to demonstrate that you are a straightforward, upright fella. And no snarking to the orthodox sect people, always proper respect.

It will be much harder to get an orthodox reputation if you don't join a sect and follow their rules. If you do, you can just coast on their reputation since, for example, when people see Wudang disciples, they expect them to be rather stand-up folks.

Should have let Yunzi get kidnapped. The inevitable reunion would have been rather amusing.

Baltika9

Arcane

Should have let Yunzi get kidnapped. The inevitable reunion would have been rather amusing.
Do me a favor, in the future. When we inevitably return to the Ashina and reunite with Yunzi, just write a bonus "what could have been." I really, really want to see that.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't think there's a need to elaborate. Imagine daggers and poisons and multiple sneak attacks as you get your own personal stalker attempting to kill you for 'breaking her heart' after her psycho master teaches her all the wrong things and paints you as the worst person on earth.

Of course, your bad luck being what it is, some other girl may take that role in the future. I am rather sure you guys will amusingly create fertile grounds for such a situation.

edit: Most wuxia protagonists will build up a bevy of admirers as they wander the land and get embroiled in adventures, so unfortunately that is probably going to happen here in ways befitting your luck.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
So, yeah. We have one the one side the best stats possible to pursue the prestigious and generally orthodox discipline of stabbing with swords and punching dudes, and on the other there is learning to poison people instead of honorably facing them in exchange for jerking off sketchy hobos.

The Codex will get the character it deserves, I suppose.

Baltika9

Arcane
edit: Most wuxia protagonists will build up a bevy of admirers as they wander the land and get embroiled in adventures, so unfortunately that is probably going to happen here in ways befitting your luck.
So you're saying we'll have city-loads of women claiming we've broken their hearts and signing up for secret assassin societies just to get revenge on us?
This will be golden. :lol:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
D>E>A

Thrown weapons and unarmed techniques. What else could you want?

I'm completely against C and B. Sword is not the route I want to take in this setting. And besides, Beggars' sect is the best way to gain information.

Kipeci

Arcane
While I'm fine with unarmed techniques, it just seems tacky to go for thrown weapons. Why do that when we can instead train to shoot righteous bursts of energy from our fists of justice? Dishonorable.

Baltika9

Arcane
So, yeah. We have one the one side the best stats possible to pursue the prestigious and generally orthodox discipline of stabbing with swords and punching dudes, and on the other there is learning to poison people instead of honorably facing them in exchange for jerking off sketchy hobos.

The Codex will get the character it deserves, I suppose.
Sorry, but that's D, the Beggar's Sect. This is E
Or you could be captured by a bandit clan and forced to become a stud for their inbred family.

Endurance +3!

Baltika9

Arcane
Hey, in E we're at least banging chicks instead of jerking off bums. That's something, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom