Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
At least there is a lot of discussion going on so that's positive. Now, if we could just put the YOLOTIGER on restraints and play it smart for a couple updates...
Let's see how smart we can play it in the underworld first. But YOLOTIGERING is our claim to fame, our reputation opens a lot of doors. If we suddenly become a wuss after our stint in prison, then we'll find life hard for us. Harder than if we YOLOTIGERED.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Yeah, life is harder while you are alive. YOLOTIGERING just gets us killed. It already did.

MystiKnight

Educated
Can you imagine everybody's reaction to an idiot who does ridiculously stupid things for little to no apparent reason?

"The legendary YOLOTIGER is here! Let us dump all our stupid, uncompletable, suicidal tasks onto him and live a life of carelessness! Hurrah for the YOLOTIGER!"

Dammit Codex, stop making stupid ideas sound plausibly entertaining!

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, life is harder while you are alive. YOLOTIGERING just gets us killed. It already did.
Yeah, because we went after the secret police at half capacity. If Jing were in tip top shape, then we would have been fine. And yeah, I was a fucking idiot to vote for that and it was retarded. That type of retardation should be avoided.
However, I'm still sticking to our bombastic persona no matter what, and we really should, taking on impossible odds if the stakes are right. For instance, I regret absolutely nothing about the Minamoto scenario.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"The legendary YOLOTIGER is here! Let us dump all our stupid, uncompletable, suicidal tasks onto him and live a life of carelessness! Hurrah for the YOLOTIGER!"
He woudn't have been legendary if not for the stupid, uncompletable, suicidal tasks he managed to see through.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Going after the secret police in full health would have been a lot smarter, though I'm not sure I would have voted it with these rewards. Minamoto on the other hand is a win in my books too.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Uh... There seems to be some butthurt over semantics in here. :lol:

Firstly, you guys already pussied out once when the revote won. The reload has already taken place.

Secondly, the most recent update isn't a teaser, but the actual last update of this chapter. It, and all the other updates since BDS, will be rolled back should there be enough demand.

Simple as that.

It really shouldn't be a topic of debate, that's not the important thing unless you guys just want to throw ad hominems at each other.
Pretty much this.

Baltika9

Arcane
Nah, the rewards were looking good: boost rep with Wudang, piss off BJ, get good rep with Du Yao (apparently, crime lords do know the Way of BRO) and get an in with his hawt daughter. All for the price of one secret policeman.

Why did we care about our rep with Wudang when we were already in good with the Grand Taoist? BJ was already pissed. Du Yao was an evil bastard and was the choice that killed us. One secret policeman and becoming a criminal wanted by the government...

Please don't try to justify the rabbit trail that lead us straight into being brained by some shmoes and dragged off by a ball-less agent.

Baltika9

Arcane
Like we weren't already wanted by the government. We pissed in their bowl a lot of times, we were already at -50 before this. And the whole point of befriending Wudang was so that we have at least one organization willing to stand up for us on a grand scene. Right now, even though the Frathouse Bros (and Miecao) love us, they cannot be linked to us openly in any manner whatsoever. Otherwise, the jackals that want to run their sects will tear them apart politically. The thing that killed us wasn't talking to Du Yao, though that was a large part of it as well, but going on the mission solo.

Knowing what we do about the Orthodoxy, would you really expect them to stand up for us when our rep is nearly as low as Zhang's? The sect leaders liked Zhang, but let all of their underlings speak of him and his apprentice like they were the devil's henchmen. Was it really worth passing up on a healer and getting involved with some freaky conspiracy? No. No, it wasn't.

edit: and yes, the solo mission was beyond retarded. I can't even begin to fathom the superman-esque image some of you bros must have of Jing in order to send him on that mission wounded as he was.

Esquilax

Arcane
Lambchop19, a ruthless bastard he (Du Yao) may be, but the man was on the level. I would say that based on the rep boost with Wudang and the +10 with Huashan that he kept his end of the bargain, despite the fact that he thinks we're dead. MANORBROS DON'T FUCK OVER MANORBROS IN COLD BLOOD BRO

As for the Imperial Court, in for a penny, in for a pound. They already wanted us dead because Gao Ying knew that (1) we greased one of their agents, (2) we impersonated him successfully which is even more dangerous and (3) we spent a lot of time fucking with the Court's interests, such as with the Minamoto and in freeing Chanfeng. That bridge was already burned, the real question was, how can we leverage that to our advantage? The choice to go in solo was obviously bad, but the principles behind wanting an alliance with a major sect and stronger ties to the criminal underworld that would appreciate our exploits against the government was a great idea. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Esquilax

Arcane
Knowing what we do about the Orthodoxy, would you really expect them to stand up for us when our rep is nearly as low as Zhang's? The sect leaders liked Zhang, but let all of their underlings speak of him and his apprentice like they were the devil's henchmen. Was it really worth passing up on a healer and getting involved with some freaky conspiracy? No. No, it wasn't.

edit: and yes, the solo mission was beyond retarded. I can't even begin to fathom the superman-esque image some of you bros must have of Jing in order to send him on that mission wounded as he was.

It's kinda murky. Keep in mind that the poison dart that Gao Ying hit us with actually healed us and would have diminished our recovery time! So based on that, assuming we complete a mission to gain an ally after having Gao Ying on our tail, if we met Cao'er after on time, our previous encounter with Gao Ying meant that we would have needed less time to heal ourselves overall than we would if we came out with the sword and our party all together.

Of course, things didn't turn out that way, but the principle here wasn't bad. We were already partially healed, we needed allies, and we knew that our overall injury recovery time was diminished "thanks" to Gao Ying's poison.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
We clearly have different takes on good rewards. We were already getting the boost with Wudang, all we had to do was to spent time with Wus. And getting actively hunted by the secret police in exchange for some crime boss' support? Not even close to good.

Baltika9

Arcane
One crime boss? Mediocre reward. An in with the whole criminal underworld through Du Yao and Pang Hu? Now we're talking.

Esquilax

Arcane
We clearly have different takes on good rewards. We were already getting the boost with Wudang, all we had to do was to spent time with Wus. And getting actively hunted by the secret police in exchange for some crime boss' support? Not even close to good.

I'd like to point out that I never wanted to accept his mission in the first place. I kinda agree - I wanted to do things another way here too because the whole thing seemed too fishy that I didn't want to accept a mission I didn't know the details of while injured. But this guy isn't "some crime boss" he's one of the Bandit King's top guys, and our ticket into the underworld.

Esquilax
edit:
It is different being number 1 on most wanted than being some low life who got lucky and decided to troll the government. Sure they wanted us dead but they weren't going to send their most deadly agents after us.
(1) The dude GUESSED that we killed him. Reasonable assumption, but zero proof other than that we have his badge. We could still lie our way out. Though I doubt he'd truly believe us, being as suspicious as he is.
(2) So successfully they didn't believe us and made us wait for him, but yes, we're a threat to him. I agree.
(3) Sure, IF it doesn't put us in obvious mortal danger while still in gimp status.

The poison dart DID NOT HEAL US. It just brought us near enough to death for our toad powers to subconsciously kick in to save us.
The Cao'er meeting was almost certainly missed as a result of traveling all the way down the mountain and to another city. MAYBE we could get there very late, but not on-time or anywhere near it. Whether she'd still be there or not is anyone's guess, but knowing these let's plays: you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited by a moderator:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
It is different being number 1 on most wanted than being some low life who got lucky and decided to troll the goverment. Sure they wanted us dead but they weren't going to send their most deadly agents after us.

Nevill

Arcane
(1) The dude GUESSED that we killed him. Reasonable assumption, but zero proof other than that we have his badge. We could still lie our way out.
We were on their wanted list. Gao Ying does not take chances:
Well, I'm just saying that the trade-off wasn't worth it in the end, not that the guy was on Shun's side or anything. Even if he was hostile and escaped, the secret police still wouldn't place your head on the wanted list.
Implying that now they did.

Baltika9

Arcane
I dunno man, Gao Ying is a pretty deadly guy and we made it to the top of his (s)hit list already in the BDS.

Added TOME's post to my argument as that was my point and I forgot to tie that in. :(

Nevill

Arcane
Added TOME's post to my argument as that was my point and I forgot to tie that in. :(
Well, that was my point too when I argued against the mission.

But I also see the other side of the argument - Gao Ying deemed us extremely dangerous because of our political savviness. He certainly didn't think about us as of 'some guy who just trolls around'.

Maybe the assassination would make Gao's superiors relate better to his opinion, but on his own list of threats we were pretty high already. And from what I've seen, he is one of their deadliest agents.

Right. And what if his superiors send 3 or 4 more Gao's after us? What then? We're boned, that's what.

Being a threat in the eyes of one agent - that also wanted to try and work with us, remember? - is different from being the priority target of several agents of extreme skill that all are ordered to kill us on sight.

Esquilax

Arcane
The poison dart DID NOT HEAL US. It just brought us near enough to death for our toad powers to subconsciously kick in to save us.
The Cao'er meeting was almost certainly missed as a result of traveling all the way down the mountain and to another city. MAYBE we could get there very late, but not on-time or anywhere near it. Whether she'd still be there or not is anyone's guess, but knowing these let's plays: you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Whatever the case may be, we were in better shape because we got hit by the dart:

The first thing you notice is that you feel better – a lot better than you had been before you were poisoned. It was poison, not some sort of strange medicine: of that you are certain, but you didn’t know that you had the ability to recover from poison that fast. You also realize that the movement of your qi seems to be back to normal… well, as normal as it can be, allowing you use of your neigong again. You wonder if the toad demon essence you ingested had anything to do with this: they were commonly associated with poisons, after all.

Here's my train of thought. It was said before that after the Minamoto, we were looking at a long recovery time to the point where it was even questionable whether we'd be at 100% for the Fire Cult challenge. Getting hit with the dart restored our neigong and healed us overall since our qi was back to normal, which leads me to believe that it shortened our overall recovery time. Therefore, there was a rational basis for going to make friends with Wudang then meet Cao'er afterwards because we knew our encounter with Gao Ying would have made healing the remainder of our injuries either (i.e. a much shorter recovery time).

Now, I voted for going to Emei too, but I still think that there were lots of good reasons to visit Wudang. The biggest problem was that a lot of things would have had to go right for us to meet her on time. And of course, they didn't! But I don't think that it was anywhere near as foolish as you're describing it.

It is different being number 1 on most wanted than being some low life who got lucky and decided to troll the goverment. Sure they wanted us dead but they weren't going to send their most deadly agents after us.

Look, Gao Ying is as deadly as it gets and he was going to be on our ass after the BDS no matter what. These guys don't give a fuck about what you have to say, they shoot first and ask questions later and they don't sit around to hear you out. This was unlikely to change, because once you fuck up with the Imperial Court, getting off their shitlist is very unlikely. Based on that, dropping our reputation further with them in exchange for improving our ties with both the Wudang and the underworld was an acceptable tradeoff.

Yeah, we'd probably get more guys like Gao Ying after us, but that's what we sought friends out for in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom