Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dunno about right of the challenged... Wasn't really invoked during our first fight was it?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Any duel held with an orthodox school would usually abide by the usual rules of the pugilistic world, which are no killing if possible, no hidden projectiles, no poisoning, no hiding your buddies in the bushes for an ambush. That sorta thing.

Obviously the killing rule would have to be waived here.

All sorts of weapons are allowed except hidden poisoned darts and the like. Even thrown weapons are usually okay as long as it is known that you use them, and they aren't poisoned.

Esquilax

Arcane
Great points by Azira and Jester. But there is an alternative: cheating. There's no doubt that in a straight-up fight, Rong Jr. would kick our ass. However, Cao'er is an amazing herbalist - couldn't she brew something up that would give us a boost?

I'm still on B2 because I don't see us winning, but I'm just trying to see what alternatives we've got.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A1

God damn it, really wish we went with E here. B2's a decent short-term recovery and may net us more training and skills, but it doesn't really fit the type of character we're going for. So... I guess we'll take the moral, but poor payoff option.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Cao'er's herbs? Probably nothing that would help you too much. Boosting elixirs tend to affect things like your qi... which is problematic for an obvious reason.

As for the fight, it's clearly not an automatic lose. That would be too silly; our character here is confident but not that confident that he'd challenge someone he has no chance of beating at all to a fair fight. Winning or losing will come down to the choice picked during the duel itself. In other words, you'll be responsible for Jing's victory or defeat.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, they may not believe our words, but if we fight him to the death, then I think his true colors will show in how he fights. After all, he didn't make it all this way to die at the hands of a fifteen year old kid, so if he actualy feels threatened, he probably will start resorting to some very unorthodox methods, while his parents expect him to conduct himself as a the perfect gentleman (unless we kill him too quickly, but I think we're in no danger of doing that :lol: ).
That may be enough to make Master Rong suspicious, he is, after all, a Master.

Baltika9

Arcane
In fact, I don't think we're obliged to see the duel to it's logical conclusion: make the challenge, force Junior to show the depths of his depravity and then bow out with a taunting smirk and a "my job here is done" (naturally, he will try to stab us in the back so we's better be prepared).

Yeah, an orthodox fighter would be compelled to follow through on his words. We aren't orthodox, so we don't give a fuck.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In fact, I don't think we're obliged to see the duel to it's logical conclusion: make the challenge, force Junior to show the depths of his depravity and then bow out with a taubting smirk and a "my job here is done" (naturally, he will try to stab us in the back so we's better be prepared).

Yeah, an orthodox fighter would be compelled to follow through on his words. We aren't orthodox, so we don't give a fuck.
We're honourable, not orthodox. But yeah, would be nice if we could duel without killing.

Baltika9

Arcane
In fact, I don't think we're obliged to see the duel to it's logical conclusion: make the challenge, force Junior to show the depths of his depravity and then bow out with a taubting smirk and a "my job here is done" (naturally, he will try to stab us in the back so we's better be prepared).

We're honourable, not orthodox. But yeah, would be nice if we could duel without killing.
Hey, if we have the upper hand, it's up to if we want to kill him, honorable and orthodox aren't necessarily the same. But I'm not really hoping on us getting the chance to make that call, though it will be nice if we do.
That being said:
3s1syf.jpg

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
By the way, bros, if we're going for A1, we really ought to have Cao're stay right next to the Master and the Madam: I'm sure Junior will send his loyal guys to take her hostage behind our back for leverage, he'll be cautious of us after our little showing. We already got Princebro injured, not our Lil' Sis too. :(

That's okay, though, we have the manual to what is probably his main technique.
:smug:

Jester

Arbiter
Cao'er's herbs? Probably nothing that would help you too much. Boosting elixirs tend to affect things like your qi... which is problematic for an obvious reason.

As for the fight, it's clearly not an automatic lose. That would be too silly; our character here is confident but not that confident that he'd challenge someone he has no chance of beating at all to a fair fight. Winning or losing will come down to the choice picked during the duel itself. In other words, you'll be responsible for Jing's victory or defeat.
You are encouraging them with that not automatic lose statement. Would be more hilarious if you let them sweat.
:rpgcodex:
I don't see anything silly in getting yourself killed because of retarded decisions or stupid bravado its C&C. Choose suicidal option in war and achieve something great become war hero, fail be forgotten. Try to bite more than you can chew, pay the price. Getting yourself into not salvageable situation with all dead ends seem like interesting concept for CYOA like even authors asking how can someone fail so much. Having 4 well written death choices is something that can work "School days" was it?

That's okay, though, we have the manual to what is probably his main technique.
:smug:
We have manual of ONE STEP not whole technique.

Jester

Arbiter
Then, you look at the book. There is only one page within - the first step of the Songfeng Swordplay.

“The rest of the steps are school secrets - if you want them, you will have to join and pay a fee,” smiles the young master. The 'gifts' are clearly meant as insults. You can feel Cao’er grabbing your sleeve.
Forgotten to add quote, editing brofisted posts are kinda wrong so double post.

Baltika9

Arcane
We have the manual for the foundation (that's what's most important) and, yeah, he'll know more than one style, but we're not going in completely blind. He, on the other hand, is: he doesn't know shit about the style we used or the styles we know and, in all likelihood, he never faced an unorthodox fighter. Jing will be a completely new experience for him.
We,on the other hand, know how swordsmen fight, at least the basics from palace life. We also know he doesn't have a strong backbone, although he really could surprise us and pull a Dio once his back is against the wall.

Esquilax

Arcane
We have the manual for the foundation (that's what's most important) and, yeah, he'll know more than one style, but we're not going in completely blind. He, on the other hand, is: he doesn't know shit about the style we used or the styles we know and, in all likelihood, he never faced an unorthodox fighter. Jing will be a completely new experience for him.

So? We've never faced an orthodox fighter either and we're unfamiliar with orthodox styles of combat. I think this is just your tendency to vote for risky options clouding your judgment here.

Okay, so if we're going to fight Rong Jr. we probably know enough about him to have some idea of his stats. He's likely a Rank 3 swordsman after a year of solid, focused training; that is to say, he's a competent swordsman. We know he's slower than us, so let's say he has 6 AGI. As for his physical strength, he's a man now, so that mean's he should be on par with a freakishly strong, physically gifted 15 year old. So either STR 7 or 8. His hand was pretty sore from our kick, so let's say he's got the same END as us too. Btw, I know that stats for adults are somewhat different, I just feel that we should see where we stand in comparison with him. Talent-wise, Jing has a slight advantage, skill-wise a significant disadvantage.

Now, there are other factors here too. Knowing the first step of the Songfeng style will help a smart fighter like Jing strategically: with our speed advantage, we can counter him before he heads to the next step of movements that we aren't familiar with. Quickness and aggression are really important here, because his skill as a swordsman will ensure he wins against us if we don't counter him before he's finished the first step of his movement.

Then there are the intangibles. Obviously, Jing's awful luck could really hurt us badly here. On the other hand, Rong Jr seems like the sort who breaks under pressure when he's getting beaten. An aggressive approach is the right one to take in this sort of fight.

But still, I'm just not sure it's worth it. Kinda shitty to leave the old man like this, but I think our smarts will allow us to suss out the Songfeng style by ourselves. Yeah, treave said that death isn't a certainty here, but this guy is still a decent swordsman - we could get maimed in the fight and lose some stat points as a result.

Edit: Here is our kicking technique

Level 1: A quick jabbing kick, a low sweeping kick and a forward three-kick combination.

Okay, so it seems like we've really got a few counter-kicking techniques here. When he starts the first step of his move, firing off a jabbing front kick will stifle his rhythm, forcing him to go something else. When we're on the offensive, we move into the three-kick combo. The sweeping kick we'll need to get him off his feet.

Yes, he's studied with the Huashan, so he has learned at least one other technique from them, but Master Rong is his father, so the Songfeng style will be the one that he's most reliant on and the one he's best at.

Last edited:

XenomorphII

Prophet
A2.

We already said we would forfeit the killing price so I am against going for the little bastards head, but we should still bluntly tell them the cause of Rong Sr's "sickness" and our version of last nights events as evidence to support it. If they decide to ignore our warning fine, but we did our duty as physicians. If they refuse to pay us for our services after that, then we should change our price to Jr's head.

Baltika9

Arcane
So? We've never faced an orthodox fighter either and we're unfamiliar with orthodox styles of combat. I think this is just your tendency to vote for risky options clouding your judgment here.
Actually, I was under the impression we received spars and martial arts education back at the palace, so we're not totally inexperienced. It should help us survive the initial stage, but if we let him have room for his techniques, yeah, we're done.

A1 can also go really bad for Cao'er (this guy isn't above taking her hostage for leverage I bet) and Yao may not approve of our actions too. Hell, unless Junior starts fighting really dirty, we're boned when it comes to his parents and the school. Not that I personally care for any of that, except our lil' sis, A1 is still the right thing to do and I want to see Jing kicking this smarmy fuck's ass.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have to say, I have a whole new respect for our character now. To maintain one's composure and calm while being falsely accused of theft in public is a feat that not many adults can boast of. To do so in 15 years with a fiery temper to boot the boy must have come a long road indeed. With his intelligence and charisma rivaled only by strenght he might rise to greatness one day. If he lives long enough, that is.

But that is not something I want to talk about right now. I want to talk about the merits of B2. The first though that popped into my mind upon reading it was:

What. The. Fuck.

Azira said:
Walk away. No way we can salvage this satisfactorily. Good thing the Songfeng is only a small school of little repute.
We came here all the way, avoided the trap of being sent away and killed (or worse), won in a face off match with an armed guy that had a small army at his beck and call, protected our patient on a deciding night with a clever suggestion, all the while managing to keep Cao'er out of trouble and NOW we back off?

Jester said:
Can we give him advice to take some time off being head of school, excused that will help him recover? Tipping that he got talented heir? I think that son aggressiveness could increase this style reputation and old master will continue stagnation.
Oh, how considerate of people to bring the school reputation into this. Let us take a closer look at its would-be master.

He can't come up with an elaborate ruse, instead trying to feed us a lie that a five year old would see through; can't change the course of the conversation once it does not go as smooth as he thought it would; can't think of anything else but threatening us with force, which is a whole another level of stupid; can't follow through once we show some backbone, instead retreating in fear; he is cunning enough to try and set us up, but can't back his insinuations up even when the circumstances are favorable, and the plan ultimately backfires on him, robbing him of the last possibility to sway things his way. He is incompetent, dumb, cowardly and vile, the kind that would murder his own father and a pair of kids in a forest to claim the position of the head (that would eventually be his anyway) just a bit sooner.

I am sure the school would flourish under his kind tutelage. He is bold and daring, unlike his father, this will do wonders for the style reputation.

But wait, there is more! Why don't we try and curry favor with the guy? Assure him that it all was a misunderstanding and we didn't really mean to intervene?
Jester said:
Pointing that death from ignoring prescription is not damaging to our master reputation as healer, mby son will get memo that we gets the job done despite all circumstances but physicians are neutral.
We can just wink at the guy and tell him - not in person, of course - that he is free to murder his dad whenever he likes to once we vacate the premises. We did our job, and he is free to do his - that way everyone can be happy, right?

The hell?!

In the previous choice we had unanimously decided to save a life, we just didn't know which way to go about it. Now that the poison had been cured, you suggest to turn tail and run, stripping our actions up to this point of any meaning they might have had? You are ready to throw away a life you just saved once it is no longer your responsibility as a doctor to earn some coin and a sword? You are ready to swallow your pride and carry the stain of a thief? You are ready to see the villain triumph just because don't feel comfortable involving yourself further?

This is the kind of "see no evil, hear no evil" bullshit that I hoped our character would never, ever, succumb to, or even condone. Looking the other way is a nice survival skill, but they don't tell stories of this kind of people, not the ones that are worth hearing anyway.

Fuck this!

It is also extremely short-sighted, as he will soon claim the headship, and you will be the only one to know what happened. That immediately puts you on top of his list of enemies, and by extension, the enemies of the entire school. And for a lone wanderer to wage war on an orthodox school, even an insignificant one, is, to put it mildly, not wise. It will make other schools look upon you with less warmth, to put it mildly. You'll have a wonderful life of fending off random assassins ahead of you.

I feel that the choices here are a bit unfair. I would not want to kill anybody, not unless I absolutely have to. But the way they are phrased and their unfortunate timing does not leave me much room to maneuver. I am not leaving until I expose to Rong Muben the treachery of his son, but A2 just plain doesn't work. To do so in public, in the culprit's presense, with no proof, and when we were wrongfully accused just recently is fated to end in disaster, unless I back it up with something else. I would have much preferred to request a private audience with the old master, tell him everything and let him decide how to deal with his son - then, if he drives me out, his death would be his own responsibility. As it is now, the son will shut us up the moment we suggest his involvement, the parents and the crowd wil support him, and we will be chased out with ignominy before anyone has a chance to even consider our words.

This leaves only A1. It is dangerous, reckless and unrewarding, but it is the only thing that makes sense for our character. Anything else would be half-hearted, twisted or downright infamous.

I want to tell them, everybody, the whole truth. How the son tried to buy us into leaving the job unfinished, how he tried to scare us off, how the sword came into our posession - everything. Then, like Zero Credibility suggested, I will state the reason for demanding my fee. The sheer fact that I have no other reason to do so should lend credibility to my claims.

And yes, much like Zero Credibility said, there is bound to be evidence of the son's misdeeds. In no way he strikes me as someone clever enough to carry out such a plot on his own without it blowing up in his face. That poison is not something you buy from an apothecary, it has to come from somewhere, probably someone who is the real power behind the takeover. I think we just stumbled upon a plot hook. At the very least we might have something to clear our name later.

Edit: flopped to B1>A1. Damn you, Esquilax.

Esquilax said:
Basically, this is an all-or-nothing choice. You either go full YOLO and kill Rong Jr. while accusing him of attempted murder or you shut the fuck up and leave.
This. But I can't take nothing as a choice.

Esquilax said:
I am really reluctant to kill Rong Jr. because we had already made a promise that we wouldn't be taking any lives today. The boy is an asshole, but he's also their only child and they've staked their entire lives into ensuring that he would grow up to not be a shithead. They haven't succeeded, but we can't go back on our word without a huge hit to our reputation, so I don't like that option.
That was then. This is now. Back then we weren't sure the assailant was still around, didn't know how desperate he was for power, or how stupid and petty he was. He will remember how we humiliated him and seek us out. We can't leave the family to die in an 'accident', the guy to rise to power, and the school to rot under his 'guidance'. This would be more cruel to them than offing the boy then and there.

Besides, the reputation hit we would take for enforcing our Master's law would be negligible compared to killing the family heir, anyway.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Nevill is right that B2 is not only inefficient but ultimately dangerous, not to mention morally decrepit. I am worried though about our ability to convince anybody in A1; we had taken on the burden of blame for the 'theft' just hours before, testing Madam Rong's patience to the limit. It also means that to their eyes we have ample reason to hate the son for 'irrational' reasons. We don't know about the Master's attitude to the son yet, but given he does not know of poisoning either, will either of them do any more but become scandalised and throw us out? If we had Master Yao we could say, "doesn't matter what you think, we want his head anyway", but as two kids? Will they acquiesce and say yes, you can go back on your word and levy the blood-price, we will set up the duel?

Need more time to think about whether a hybrid (A2/B1) could work, but B2 seems to be definitely out.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tigranes said:
It also means that to their eyes we have ample reason to hate the son for 'irrational' reasons.
Enough for a 15 year old boy to challenge a man five years older and an expert fighter to a duel? Doubtful.

Tigranes said:
Will they acquiesce and say yes, you can go back on your word and levy the blood-price, we will set up the duel?
They are known for keeping their word. They sent for us. They just said they are in our debt. Then we ask for payment, and we don't just murder the chap - we challenge him at his game.

They will accept, if only because they think they won't have to pay at all, as there is a clear difference in terms of power between duelists.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
We already said we would forfeit the killing price so I am against going for the little bastards head, but we should still bluntly tell them the cause of Rong Sr's "sickness" and our version of last nights events as evidence to support it. If they decide to ignore our warning fine, but we did our duty as physicians. If they refuse to pay us for our services after that, then we should change our price to Jr's head.

They're not going to believe us over their own son. Look, if you want to fight, you must refuse the reward, because doing so makes this a matter of honor and gives us credibility. If we believe that their son is a murderer to the extent that we're willing to forfeit any reward or payment by making this accusation, Master Rong, being a man of honor, must respect and accept that.

Here's an even worse alternative for A2: Master Rong is offended by us besmirching the honor of his son by accusing him of patricide and challenges us to a duel. Really, it's a half-measure and it won't work. Likewise, we can't pick B1 because we just told these people that we wouldn't ask for the Killer Physician's price. You either kill this motherfucker yourself, or you leave without rocking the boat. There's no in-between.

Looking at Nevill's very convincing argument, I'm sold and I've flopped my original post to A1. This was a very powerful poison, so I'm sure that Rong Jr got it from somewhere he shouldn't have. He's been making some friends in low places, no doubt about it.

There's also a very valid strategic argument for A1: Rong Jr strikes me as the sort of person who is easily angered and slighted. Accusing him of murder in front of his father is sure to piss him off, which might make him a lot more careless during the fight. Great fighters have attempted to piss off their opponents all the time. Jing is going to take trash talk to Ali levels here.

Fuck, I am praying our bad luck doesn't bite us in the ass here...

Edit: Actually, treave, the concept of face is very important here. Would telling the father that his son attempted to murder him be a source of humiliation for the father? Perhaps it would be more tactful to not tarnish his son's reputation, and by extent, Master Rong's and the academy's reputation. If his son is remembered as an honorable swordsman who gave his life to save his father, then it reflects well on the family.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
We can just wink at the guy and tell him - not in person, of course - that he is free to murder his dad whenever he likes to once we vacate the premises. We did our job, and he is free to do his - that way everyone can be happy, right?
I can see two "right" choices in this situation one is to try give heir second chance. He is young impulsive ass mby if he will face world he will change, that's how i see B2. Second right choice in MY definition of right is to take his life WITHOUT telling his parents why. Think about it like that they, did everything they could to be good parents and we will tell them that their only son had tried to kill one of them. How long will they live? Max 10 years taking into consideration world settings? Either we could try to let them know that person they were trying best for 20 years betrayed them and leave the mess A2 or be an ass and take his live only too try to get what we can with A1 and try to not look like thief. Yes because we MUST look good in eyes of others huh? I consider A1 justifying and trying to look like fringing hero in eyes of bystanders not being one actually and that is more shameful.
You are ready to swallow your pride and carry the stain of a thief?
If he will not correct his ways after second chance i say find him and kill him.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom