Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We're pretty sparse on techniques though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The more close shaves you get into and survive, the faster you learn. That's how your unorthodox life is going to be.

Baltika9

Arcane
The Manor has is said to have a very mishmash group of warrior-scholars, I'm sure at least one of 'em knows sword techniques. We just have to find a way to get in there, hopefully our artistic and scholarly knowledge will help us out there.

Alternatively, we can look around the city for a thieves' guild, they should definitely know some tricks.

Esquilax

Arcane
1C is the "learn the theory of fighting" option, we'll have to persuade the scholars to actually give us the training we need. It would be better if Tigerbro were more like Senya, fighting by analysis. While our persuasion skills are decent at best, our reputation from the Songfeng episode may cause some problems there.

1A, on the other hand, is the "learn how to fight" option: they give us the training in the most commonly used weapons, so we'll be set no matter where we find ourselves; Jing strikes me as the "learn with his body" type (as ERYFKRAD said earlier), as opposed from "learn from reading" type. Again, the Songfeng Duel is a good example: we studied it, but didn't realize how to counter it until we've actually experienced it.

Jing might have great physical abilities, but he's also an intelligent guy as well. Our fight with Rong involved analysis and book learning: in fact, we probably wouldn't have been able to beat him if we didn't have that first step of the Songfeng style to develop a counter off of. So yeah, while we didn't develop the counter itself while the battle began, we also needed an understanding of bits of the technique itself to get there. Look at this:

Since we're talking about manuals, you will find many manuals that are actually written in poetry with few illustrations to speak of - usually the students learn by watching the physical movements of the master and relating them to the poetry in the manual in order to understand the true essence of the technique. Only by getting into the proper mindset as described in the poems can your body execute the moves perfectly. Of course, if you don't know the physical actions of the moves in the first place it would be difficult to learn the technique, but talented martial artists can derive their own movements from the principles described in the manuals and achieve a similar effect to a conventional/orthodox practitioner.

So we've got a character who is very talented in martial arts, but he doesn't have access to a lot of techniques due to his unorthodoxy. With that skill at understanding the essence of martial arts through an appreciation for art and calligraphy and our own innate talent, we can figure out a lot of shit that we might otherwise not be able to. There's definitely something to respect there.

C has its merits as a trade center. We'll be in a position to get more handy information from a place that attracts a lot of travellers than a military whatsit hosting transients.

You have to ask yourself: why are there so many transients around?

Since banditry is rife nowadays, Xiangyang has become a rather safe spot for many travellers to pass through on their way along the river.
It is an important city, yes, but being ensconced safely in the middle of China right now, you'll find there well-trained soldiers but none with real experience in battle. They might have experience subjugating bandits.

There's a big opportunity to improve our reputation here. You have a large amount of people in the fortress-city that are transients because it's a safe place amidst the danger surrounding the area. If you're serious about gaining a bit of trust among the Taoist Priests of the Wudang despite our unorthodox reputation, taking care of some bandits seems like a great opportunity. I want to mention that I disagree with Tigranes regarding the Wudang - I believe that cooperation is possible here. We have a charismatic character and I think that we can take steps once we reach the city to start earning brownie points with them. I seriously doubt that one year of unorthodox martial arts knowledge will prevent us from having any contact with the orthodox martial arts world forever, that's nonsense.

The Brazilian Slaughter, C might make us a monocled gentleman of refinement, but it probably won't give us a lot about the sword. If you want that, you gotta go with B, where the Shaolin temple and a lot of its historical knowledge would be. Other things that make C compelling would be a diverse set of martial arts contacts that have an appreciation for art, a lot of knowledge from the rest of China due to the place being a trade hub, that sort of thing.

After having evaluated things a bit further, I really do think that we need some respectability and to take a few steps to solve our qi issues. As a result, I must (reluctantly) flop to AB.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
1. A - 7, B - 1, C - 13
2. A - 1, B - 20

CB still wins.

Obtaining an Invite

You make your way slowly towards Xuzhou – due to the approaching winter, colds are becoming more frequent, meaning that you had more jobs to take. Your abilities are proving sufficient to handle most of the minor ailments you encountered en route to the city. This gave Master Yao more time to spend tutoring Cao’er – he seemed to be preparing her for some sort of test, though he refused to tell and you refused to press the matter. On your part, you began practicing your qinggong further as you traversed the wilderness, granting you an even lighter step.

When you arrive in Xuzhou, the snow has reached the city before you. At this time last year, you were shivering in the Cold Dungeon. Now you spent it with Master Yao and Cao’er in the warm and cosy Jingtu Inn, one of the cheaper establishments in the older districts of Xuzhou.

“Hmph,” snorts Master Yao grumpily, “give me a cold little hut anytime. This place disagrees with my bones.”

“I am not sure whether you continue being contrarian just for the sake of it, Master. We’re paying a cheap price for these comforts. Be grateful. It’s not like we could find any suitable lodgings outside Xuzhou anyway, unless you plan to live under a tree.” You frown at him as you pop a piece of duck meat into your mouth. Cao’er had finished her meal early and was poring through a set of books – they appeared to be basic martial arts manuals this time, of the cheapest sort anyone could find on the junk market. You wonder what she is planning; she’s being tight-lipped recently.

“Cities are too crowded for my taste.” Your master grimaces, picking at his food. “Why are we here again?”

“Getting senile in your old age, master? You asked me to pick where to go,” I say, laughing.

A duck bone is flicked into my forehead before I can even react. It stings – the old bastard used his inner strength for that flick. He cackles. “Are you being stupid, my idiot disciple? I asked you why we came here.”

“Sorry, master,” you bow your head. You never did explain why you picked Xuzhou to him – the old man had just agreed without asking for a reason. “I want to visit Luoying Manor. I have heard that it is a gathering place for many different martial artists. Perhaps there I can find out more about my strange qi and the Yuchang Sword.” You’ve made a rough wooden sheath for the sword and wrapped it up tightly, concealing it on your person. With the thick robes worn during winter, it goes entirely unnoticed.

Yao ponders your statement for a while, stroking his beard. “Some very strange people are rumoured to be amongst the bookworms that gather at Luoying, and it would not be out of the question that some of them may have an idea of what to do with you.”

When Master Yao calls someone strange, you know that he means it.

“But,” he continues, “I have never been in there, so I would not know. After all, I have never been invited.” Looking at my puzzled face, he laughs maliciously. “Oh, my idiot disciple! Did you think you could just walk up to Luoying Manor and ask to be let in? Or even pay your way in? It is a rather exclusive club. They would turn down even the Emperor himself if he was not to their liking.”

“I see,” you say. “This invitation… how do you think I can get my hands on one?”

“How do you think?” grins Master Yao. “I’m not here to do your work for you. All I need in my life is to wander, to heal, and to kill. What you do in your spare time is none of my business.”

It does not take long before Master Yao’s arrival in the city becomes widespread gossip. Business begins rolling in – there is always a small ailment or another that needs healing amongst the wealthy tradesmen and merchants that populate Xuzhou. Xuzhou proves to be rather more generous than Xuchang. In your spare time, between bringing Cao’er on walks around the city – that girl would coop herself up in the room for a year if you let her - and assisting your master, you begin gathering information on Luoying Manor from the locals.

Luoying Manor and its estate are located on the far bank of Yunlong Lake, at the base of Yunlong Mountain and opposite Xuzhou proper. There are boats that take travellers over to the manor. It is owned by a mysterious woman named Lady Ji, who is rumoured to be an ageless and beautiful immortal, having resided in the manor for over two hundred years. It seems that Lady Ji has never left the grounds, preferring to live in seclusion.

Initially, you think that Master Yao appears to have been mistaken about the need for an invite; according to the innkeeper, many scholars travel there year-round. However, you find out from an old scholar in Xuzhou that there is an ‘inner court’ that can only be accessed by known fellows of the manor. These fellows are selected via a mysterious trial during the winter solstice conference which can only be attended by obtaining an invitation. This is probably the ‘real’ Luoying Manor.

The nature of the trial is unknown even to those who have passed it. No one knows the criteria by which they select their fellows, but the selection process is done every four years, during the winter solstice conference, and four are chosen at each trial year. Attending the conference itself requires an invitation, and these are given out by Luoying Manor via different means. This year is a trial year – if you do not participate it will be another four years before you have the chance.

There are those who are already fellows of the manor – these will receive their invitations without condition.

There is the poetry competition held on Yuntang Pavilion on the near bank of the lake – the top three participants will receive an invitation.

There is also the martial arts contest at Quewu Square on the same day, a melee where up to thirty contestants are thrown into the ring, with the last man standing winning the invitation.

Finally, in thanks to the prefect of Xuzhou for continuing to protect the city and the lands around it, the Manor will always grant an invitation to the prefect with which he can do as he sees fit.

Since you are already here, you think you might as well try out for an invitation; the traveling merchants (and the gossip they bring) won't arrive until spring anyway.

A. The top scholar of Xuzhou, an influential man by the name of Jiang Du, is a fellow of the manor. You approach him, intending to cajole, threaten, or outright steal the invitation if necessary.

B. You participate in the poetry competition on Yuntang Pavilion. As the top three participants may win an invitation, you should have a good chance as long as you place at least third. Besides, there are ways to get rid of competitors…

C. You participate in the martial arts contest. Even though it is a battle royale with the last man standing, and the participants are most likely all adults, you think you should be able to manage surviving such a contest. And again, there are ways to get rid of competitors…

D. You approach the prefect of Xuzhou, Zhu Yutong, in order to lay your hands on that particular invitation. It seems that he has been looking for someone to undertake a mission to Luoying Manor itself, and is offering the invitation to those who will. You might have competition for the task, however – there will be a test, and the details of the job are unknown until you pass it.

Note: You may still get a chance to attempt another of these choices if you fail in the one you pick right now. But picking the poetry competition will outright rule out the martial arts contest, and vice versa, as they occur on the same day.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We'll get to be a warrior-poet! B, with D as a backup option. Will probably elaborate later.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Our skills seem much more geared towards combat than poetry. Jing has 1 rank in artistic skill, 2 in speech. 3 in sword, 2 in unarmed.
My preference would be the shady quest for the prefect, then the melee if the first option fails.

D > C

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
By the way, clarification of your reputation: The commonfolk don't really know of you yet despite your exploits, so you're free to walk the streets without people muttering or pointing at you behind your back. You should be known to many of the pugilists as the killer of Songfeng's young master though, but not by sight. Not even by name, because your name can be rather common. Only if you introduce yourself as Yao's apprentice.

Regarding the choices here, you'll be given further choices to pick when you attempt a test, which will determine success or failure.

Jester

Arbiter
B warrior poet if we fail that A
B and C sound like most educational options. Im in opposition to charming scholars due to respect for them and that unknown mission is suspicious to me, I have bad feeling about it so no. Probably fulfilling it will charm somehow Lady Ji and i don't like to taking sides before meeting them.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
C - I don't see us winning a poetry competition anytime soon. Better to go for the melee, giving us the opportunity to advance our sword and unarmed skill.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Seems like we should start with B or C. A and D could easily annoy important figures in the very place we're trying to get into. Let's avoid that if we can, shall we?
I like C - Even if we don't win, we might be able to distinguish ourselves enough to help us get the job in D.

Nevill

Arcane
The usual breakdown.

A - is your typical Dark Side choice. I doubt that cajoling will do us any good, unless he has a job needs doing. But I wouldn't bet on that chance, because we can already use D with 100% certainty that this would be the case. Extorting an invitation would be out of character for Jing - we do not go around threatening people who did us no wrong. Besides, will an adult be sufficiently terrified of a 15 year old bully unless we start twisting arms, cutting limbs or dropping names, none of which are particularly bright ideas? That leaves stealing, which can be done... but why would you want to resort to that when there are more attractive alternatives?

B&C - now, these are interesting, but you only get to pick one. Keep in mind, that Jing received an education on par with the crown prince, and is well-versed in the ways of swift talking and poetry (but perhaps not as gifted as he is with a sword). However, when weighing the possibilities, I would like to point out that poetry provides more wiggle room, as far as winning is concerned. There is no mistaking who is a better combatant in a match - it is the one left standing in the aftermath, but how do you determine who is a better poet? The sympathies of the crowd can be swayed, or played upon. You can capitalize on a success of a better author and make an impromptu parody, and if it is amusing enough, people won't be able to separate one from the other in their minds. You do not have to be the first to win. Or you can appeal to a certain weakness of a jury, if there is one. You can't really do this sort of thing in combat. The ways that can decide the outcome are numerous, and I trust that Jing is intelligent enough to identify and exploit them.

Of course, the real reason I am promoting B is because I want to incorporate taunting lymerics into our battle strategy. :P And if we ever want to lead people, words are the way to go. We might get our speech and artistic skills increased, and you should never underestimate a speech check (especially not with the castration nuns on your tail).

As much as I like "SWORDS, NOT WORDS!" approach, I have my doubts about winning in a straight endurance contest with up to 30 participants. So far, we have taken out only one adult, and were severely wounded in the process. It could be done, though it would be hard, and we can't afford mistakes, since there will be only a single winner. Should we triumph, we might get a combat skill increase - those are always handy.

Both B and C are clean and honest methods, and are consistent with the way our character presented himself so far.

D - if the details of the job are hidden, it is probably something shady. Another possibly dirty job, only this time, it is sanctioned by the authorities. What you may get out of it (besides the obvious invitation) is a recognition from the prefect, provided that the job is not of a sort that'll make him go "here is your reward and I've never met you". The question is, why resort to dubious means, when you have a way to achieve your goal on your own, without any strings attached? If it fails, then we might consider this method, but why go for it first?

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
B>D>C

B might not be the most power-gamey option, but it seems different so I want to try it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Both B and C are clean and honest methods, and are consistent with the way our character presented himself so far.

You don't have to be absolutely clean and honest in B & C, or indeed in any of the choices. Scoping out the competition beforehand and making certain arrangements to increase your chances of victory is a viable tactic.

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
You don't have to be clean and honest. Scoping out the competition beforehand and making certain arrangements to increase your chances of victory is a viable tactic.
Bribing the jury (is there a jury? who decides the winner in a poetry contest?) or talking some poet into bailing, or even attempting a co-authorship where the second author lets you have all the credit for whatever reason are possible.

I doubt there is much you can do in a combat competition, though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There will be judges. There will be no such thing as co-authorship. You don't submit your poetry, you recite it. The topic will be given on the day of the competition and you are supposed to compose one impromptu.

Aside from poisoning their pre-fight stew or something.

What's the point of being a physician's apprentice if you don't know how to brew some strong laxatives? :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom